November 17, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V891000
A loss of power steering assist can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V891
Manufacturer Sutphen Corporation
Potential Number of Units Affected 20
Dealers will inspect the power steering pump serial numbers, and the affected pumps will be replaced, free of charge. Owners may contact Sutphen customer service at 1-614-889-1005.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
In July 2020, Spartan Fire notified ZF about a zero mileage issue identified in Spartan Fire’s assembly plant involving power steering pumps supplied by ZF. ZF thereafter conducted an engineering analysis of affected parts, verified production parameters, performed calibrations, and verified potential corrective measures through lab measurements and testing.
In September 2020, ZF identified a potential manufacturing issue. ZF continued to monitor warranty data but did not detect an issue with other vehicle manufacturers similar to what was experienced by Spartan Fire.
In October 2020, ZF implemented a process sequence change in its manufacturing process to address the issue. In April 2021, Spartan Fire informed ZF of a warranty claim involving loss of power steering assist.
On April 10, 2021, Spartan Fire initiated a recall of 243 vehicles containing power steering pumps supplied by ZF (21V252).
In July 2021, ZF responded to an informal inquiry by NHTSA’s Recall Management Division related to the Spartan Fire recall.
On August 4, 2021, at the agency’s request, and although ZF had not made a safety defect determination with respect to the subject power steering pumps, ZF submitted a list of purchasers to NHTSA with a Part 512 request for confidential treatment.
On August 31, 2021, Autocar initiated a recall related to vehicles containing power steering pumps supplied by ZF (21V677).
On September 3, 2021, NHTSA requested that ZF file a part 573 report based on the Spartan Fire and Autocar recalls. Although ZF has not determined that a safety-related defect exists in the subject power steering pumps, ZF agreed to submit a Part 573 report as requested. On October 27,2021 Sutphen received a notice from NHTSA about the report from ZF North America and received a copy of recall notice 21E-085
21E085 – PS ED Power Steering Pumps May Fail – ZF North America
1 Affected Product
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V891-4271
Recall 573 Report – January 12, 2022
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2022-3RCLQRT-21V891-3290
Latest Recalls Documents
- The service solution for ALL European, North American, and Asian vehicles (Honda fluid recommended for Honda/Acura vehicles)
- Reduces friction and protects seals and hoses - extending the life of the power steering system
- Provides excellent cold and high temperature performance eliminating "morning sickness" stiffness
- Excellent for use in electric hydraulic systems
- Cleans and frees sticky turbines and pumps
- Package Dimensions: 23.2 H x 6.9 L x 11.2 W (centimetres)
- Package Weight: 0.9 kilograms
- Country of Origin : United States
- Fit type: Universal
- Restores performance and smoothest out hard steering
- Quiets squeal and noisy pumps
- Stops leaks
- Conditions seals
- Prevents future leaks
- Keeps power-steering systems running smoothly and helps stop or reduce fluid loss caused by leaky seals
- Formulated with high-quality oil and fortified with additives to revitalize dried, shrunken, and hardened seals
- Developed for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most foreign cars and light trucks
- Anti-wear agents protect pump components
- Corrosion inhibitors to protect metal components
- Very cost effective
- AFFORDABLE SOLUTIONS
- Improves steering response
- Stops rack and pinion problems
- POWER STEERING FLUID: Made specifically to satisfy the OEM requirements for your North American vehicle, this formula has been rigorously tested to ensure it meets your car's specific requirements
- ULTIMATE PROTECTION: Unique blend of additives provides ultimate protection to the power steering system, even when operating at extreme temperatures
- PREVENTS CORROSION: Robust corrosion inhibitors and anti-wear additives deliver exceptional pump protection to ensure a long system life
- ALL-SEASON PERFORMANCE: Antioxidants help prevent fluid breakdown at high temperatures, while the viscosity modifiers provide excellent cold weather steering operation for all-season performance
- 12 OZ. CONTAINER: 12 oz. container ensures you have enough power steering fluid to help keep your North American vehicle running smoothly and driving its best
- 1 bottle treats 4 to 5 quarts of oil
- Stops and seals steering fluid leaks
- Works with all types of power steering leaks
- Part number: 1630
Last update on 2022-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.