June 4, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V426000
Increased propane pressure can enlarge the flames in gas appliances, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V426
Manufacturer KZRV, L.P.
Potential Number of Units Affected 100
KZRV, L.P. (KZRV) is recalling certain 2018-2019 KZ RV Sidewinder vehicles equipped with a Winntec model 6020 two-stage propane regulator. The regulator may fail, causing an increase in propane pressure.
Dealers will replace the regulator and test the propane system for leaks, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed August 3, 2021. Owners may contact KZRV customer service at 1-800-768-4016 ext. 154 or 153.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Recreational Vehicle Safety Recall Notice
Safety Recall: 21V‐426
Safety Advisory: KZ‐2021‐03
June 21, 2021
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle: «VIN»
«City», «State» «Zip»
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. KZRV has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2018 and 2019 Sidewinder models. As a result, KZRV is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for any inconvenience this action may cause you; however, your safety and continued satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us.
Reason for this recall
The vehicles subject to this recall were built with a model 6020 propane regulator manufactured by Winntec that may have a faulty secondary rubber seal. This malfunction may result in propane pressures that exceed the propane appliances design limits and/or may be venting propane to the atmosphere which could result in a fire that results in property damage, personal injury or death.
What we will do
The remedy is to replace the regulator and pigtails. The repair should take approximately 30 minutes to complete. This repair will be done at no cost to you.
What we need you to do
You should contact your selling dealer immediately to schedule a service appointment to have the defect repaired in your vehicle. If you have questions concerning this recall or if you need any assistance, please contact the KZRV Warranty/Service Department by mail at KZRV, L.P., 0985 N 900 W, Shipshewana, IN 46565, or by phone at (800)768-4016 ext. 154 or 153.
If you had appropriate repairs completed prior to receipt of this recall notice, and if you incurred any direct cost in connection with obtaining such repair, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement from KZRV by contacting the KZRV Warranty/Service Department.
If after contacting KZRV Customer Service you are still not satisfied we have done our best to remedy this situation, you may also submit a written complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590. You may call the toll‐free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1‐888‐327‐4236 (TTY: 1‐800‐424‐9153; or go to https://www.safercar.gov.) Federal regulations require that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
We apologize for any inconvenience this action may cause you; however, your safety and continued satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation in this matter.
Vice President Corporate
cc: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
11/4/20–Grand Design RV informs THOR Ind. of three incidents involving Winntec Model 6020 regulators, where the regulators were suspected as the cause of fires. The Thor companies reviewed the issue internally and found no issues with these regulators at that time.
12/4/20–KZ RV informs THOR Ind. of two issues under investigation with the same suspect regulators.
12/22/20–Grand Design performs lab analysis on two failed regulators and finds they contain an oily substance inside. There is a belief that the oily substance is machining oil from a manufacturing process.
2/24/21–Grand Design informs THOR Ind. they are investigating several more fires, and will be sending regulators from those incidents for lab inspection.
3/16/21–Lab analysis performed on six regulators from Grand Design, including one exemplar and one from KZ RV. In the lab setting, the KZ RV regulator operated within allowable parameters, although it contained the same oily residue seen on the field samples.
4/19/21–THOR Ind. engages Exponent Engineering to conduct analysis of regulators to determine source of oily substance.
5/10/21–Safety Committee Meetings conducted at KZ RV, Keystone RV and Jayco RV, to update them on regulator investigation. All committees request further investigation of specific claims and confirmation of Exponent findings.
5/12/21–Exponent provides written report/presentation on regulator analysis.
5/14/21–Meeting held with Grand Design, Dehco, Winnspec International, and Chen Fong to discuss regulator issue. Winnspec given until May 18, to return information regarding issues with their regulators.
5/21/21–THOR Ind. Discussed regulator issue with the Medium Heavy Duty ODI office.
5/24/21 & 5/25/21 – Meeting with Grand Design, Dehco, Winnspec International, and Chen Fong at Livonia, MI testing facility, to discuss regulator investigation. Chen Fong agrees the regulator is allowing higher pressure than expected with a compromised second stage seal.
5/27/21–Safety Committee Meetings conducted at KZ RV, Keystone RV and Jayco RV. All safety committees decide to move forward with a recall for safety for units built with a defective Winntec Model 6020 regulator.
21E081 – Possible LP Regulator Failure – Winntec & WIC Model 6020 LP Regulators
2 Affected Products
9 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 3RCLRPT-21V426-2208
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V426-1112
Miscellaneous Document – Chronology
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1RCLRPT-21V426-6387
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 2RCLRPT-21V426-8191
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2021-3RCLQRT-21V426-9963
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- 262,500 BTU's Per Hour Capacity.
- Set at standard propane low pressure - 11" Water Column.
- If you do not know what you are purchasing or are unfamiliar with installation please do not purchase this product.
- The Auto-Changeover LP Regulator allows you to hook up 2 Propane tanks - the regulator will automatically switch over to the second tank once the first one runs out.
- Mounting screws not included.
- Horizontal Style with POL connection
- Inlet: Excess Flow Soft Nose POL Outlet: 3/8" Female NPT
- Out pressure: 11 inch Water Column BTU level: 160,000 BTU/Hr capacity
- It is well made from solid brass to ensure that the connections with the tank are secure and leak-free
- Suitable for most RV appliances including gas grills and stoves, propane fireplaces and hot water heaters
- 【Rv Propane Regulator】2 stage propane regulator is perfect for RVs, trailers, trucks, backyard dual propane tanks, etc. with double tanks. When the main tank is empty, the regulator will automatically switch to the second tank to maintain uninterrupted use.
- 【Nonstop Fill 】Rv propane regulator 2 tank Allows removal of empty cylinder for refill without interrupting propane supply. When the main tank is empty, the propane switch adjustment knob will turn red to remind you to turn the knob to switch from the main tank to the backup tank.
- 【Regulator Specifications】lp gas regulator Inlets are 1/4" SAE inverted flare and outlet is 3/8" NPT female pipe thread. Rated flow for 190, 000 BTU, Regulator is factory set at 11wc (water column)
- 【High Quality Material】Each dual propane regulator is manufactured in the top factories in the industry, with bodies and joints constructed from 100% premium die-cast aluminum and solid brass to withstand weather, scratches and corrosio
- 【Quality After Sale】Each set of products has been drilled with mounting holes (M4 thread) before leaving the factory, ready to use out of the box. 100% money back guarantee - For whatever reason, you are not satisfied, you can request a replacement or a full refund. Customer satisfaction is our tireless pursuit.
- Has integral first and second stages that ensure smoother, more consistent flow of propane gas to all RV appliances Inlet: POL tank connection Outlet: 3/8" Female NPT
- Outlet pressure: 11"WC Horizontal Style with POL
- 160,000 BTU/HR POL valve connection to allow for easy hookup
- Double stage design maintains constant gas pressure under changing demand and conditions
- Durable and easy to use
- Combines both a high pressure first stage and a low pressure second stage regulator into one unit
- Ideally designed for RV applications, these regulators ensure a smooth and continuous flow of gas to all appliances
- 1/4" FPT Inlet
- 3/8" FPT Outlet
- 9:00 Vent Position
- Inlet: 1/4" Female NPT. Fit for pigtails with 1/4" NPT thread.
- Outlet: 3/8" Female NPT.
- Outlet Pressure: 11" W.C.
- For vertical mount applications. Mounting holes are NOT tapped, please use self-tapping screws.
- 165,000 BTU/hr
- Maintains a constant 11" WC propane pressure
- 200,000 BTU/HR
- For connecting free standing gas bottle to low pressure gas appliances
- 1/4" Female NPT (Inlet) x 3/8" Female NPT (Outlet)
- UL Listed
- Allows removal of empty cylinder for refill without interrupting propane supply
- Inlets are 1/4" SAE inverted flare and outlet is 3/8" NPT female pipe thread
- For RVs with dual propane tanks. Automatically switches from primary to reserve tank when primary is empty
- Primary cylinder 210,000 BTU/hr capacity; Reserve cylinder 130,000 BTU/hr
- Double stage design maintains constant gas pressure under changing demand and conditions
Last update on 2022-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.