May 26, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V392000
A loss of power to the system may cause a loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V392000
Manufacturer Daimler Trucks North America, LLC
Components POWER TRAIN, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 8
Daimler Trucks North America, LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2019 Freightliner eBusiness Class M2 vehicles equipped with 14Xe ePowertrains. The stator assembly wires may have been insufficiently crimped, causing high resistance, overheating, and preventing the high voltage system from starting.
Dealers will replace the motor stator, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 19, 2021. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712. DTNA's number for this recall is FL-889.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Defect Information Report
Date of Submission: May 26, 2019
Manufacturer: Daimler Trucks North America LLC
P.O. BOX 3849
Portland, Oregon 97208
Type of Report: X Safety Defect ⃝ Non-Compliance
Model Yr. Start: 2019 Model Yr. End: 2019
Model: eBusiness Class M2
Production Dates: Begin: 09/08/2018 End: 11/05/2018
Descriptive Information: Certain Freightliner eBusiness Class M2 vehicles equipped with a Meritor
14Xe ePowertrain and certain motor stators that Meritor, Inc. has identified per equipment recall 21E-
Number potentially involved: 8 Estimated percentage of involve with defect: 100%
Defect / Noncompliance Description
For this Defect/Noncompliance:
Describe the defect or noncompliance: Meritor states per NHTSA 21E-028, “The stator lug
terminations were insufficiently crimped creating high resistance and ultimately excessive heat. “The
operator may experience loss of power due to the accessory systems. The loss of power may lead to
failure to propel and failure to energize the system.”
Describe the safety risk: Meritor states per NHTSA 21E-028, “The operator may experience a loss of
power to the accessory systems that can increase the risk of crash.”
Identify any warning which can precede or occur: Meritor states per NHTSA 21E-028, “The
operator can experience a warning from the supervisory controller preceding a loss of power.”
If applicable, identify the manufacture of the defective or noncompliant component.:
2135 West Maple Road
Troy MI 48084
Component Name: ePowertrain
Component Description: 14Xe
Component Part Number: A-3200A2653-657 or A-3200D2656-478
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the
noncompliance decision.: On May 17, 2021, DTNA was notified of an equipment recall (21E-028) by
its supplier, Meritor Inc. DTNA opened an investigation to determine the scope of the issue and to
reconcile the list of vehicles that Meritor has provided with DTNA records. On May 21, 2021, DTNA made
a determination to conduct a voluntary safety companion recall of the affected vehicles identified in
Meritor’s equipment recall 21E-028.
Identify the Remedy
Describe the defect/noncompliance remedy program, including the manufacture’s plan for
reimbursement. Inspections and repairs will be performed by Meritor for heat damage on the carrier
terminal block. Vehicles with heat damage will be taken out of service and have the motor stators
replaced. If no signs of heat damage are found, the vehicle will stay in service and the motor stator
replacement will be scheduled as a preventive measure. Customers will be reimbursed for inspection
process and defective parts by Meritor. Details of the reimbursement plan will be included in the
owner’s notification letter.
Identify the Recall Schedule
Describe the recall schedule for notifications.: Customer notification will be made by first class mail
using Daimler Trucks North America records to determine the customers affected.
Planned Dealer Notification Begin Date: 07/19/2021
Planned Dealer Notification End Date: 07/19/2021
Planned Owner Notification Begin Date: 07/19/2021
Planned Owner Notification End Date: 07/19/2021
Manufacture’s identification code for this recall (if applicable): FL-889
Executive Manager, Vehicle Safety
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
1 Affected Product
|FREIGHTLINER||M2 BUSINESS CLASS||2019|
3 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document- Defect Information Report
Defect Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Crimps insulated terminals onto 10-22 AWG stranded copper wire
- Adjustable compound action design puts more crimping power into each squeeze
- Three crimping cavities in one tool: 22–16 AWG (Red), 16–14 AWG (Blue) and 12–10 AWG (Yellow) terminals
- Built-in ratchet ensures full-cycle crimping for a uniform crimp every time
- Unique cavity design provides consistent crimp from either side of the tool
- PROFESSIONAL CRIMPING TOOL - this hand crimper has efficient ratcheting mechanism and professional grade crimping die for proper rock-solid crimps every time. This crimping tool works best with heat shrink connectors
- PRECISE RATCHETING MECHANISM – wire connectors are crimped by squeezing the handle through a complete ratcheting cycle until the handle releases automatically. The ratcheting function allows to secure a wire connector while you can insert the wires into the crimp
- ADJUSTABLE CRIMPING FORCE - The tool has a star wheel that allows to adjust crimping height to ensure the right amount of crimping force depending on your crimping project. A designated quick release lever allows to open the crimper jaws in any position
- ERGONOMIC COMFORTABLE HANDLES - The ergonomic, cushioned, non-slippery handles were designed to ensure strong grips in any condition. These handles have enough leverage to comfortably crimp AWG 22-10 splices
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Wirefy stands behind the quality of our products. We offer lifetime warranty for our crimping tools. If you have any issues during the lifetime of your crimper, just let us know. Our customer experience team is always here to help
- Ratcheting mechanism with adjustable clamping force allows for precise, repeatable crimps | Compound action design puts more crimping power into each squeeze
- Double crimping die creates a secure crimp that resists pull-out | Ratcheting function allows you to secure a wire connector in the die before inserting the stripped wire into the barrel
- Quick release lever frees the crimper jaws in any position and when double crimp is complete, acts as a built-in safety measure that can open the handles whenever tool is jammed or stuck
- Steel jaw contains color-coded wire size markings for red (22-18 AWG), blue (16-14 AWG), and yellow (12-10 AWG) terminals | Ergonomic bi-material handles offer a comfortable, secure grip
- Ideal for nylon insulated solderless terminals - It is not recommended to be used with heat-shrink connectors
- 【Product upgrade】NEW 「 HX-50BI 」with 6 dies in AWG: 8,6,4,2,1,1/0,NOT IN METRIC
- 【Precise dies】Hexagonal rotating dies are processed with Wire EDM Cutting, more accurate than normal casting dies.
- 【Comfortable operation】Comfortable grip with antislip surface saves strength and improves user's experience.
- 【Solid construction】Made of high quality carbon steel which can offer long service life.
- 【Versatilel】Compatiable with copper&aluminum cable lug,non-welding and standard electrical connection.
- This wire crimper tool works best with heat shrink connectors.this hand crimper has efficient ratcheting mechanism and High-precision jaw which is color coded. Crimping is accurate and never damage the terminal,crimping is in one step.
- Ergonomic handle provides maximum comfort and reduced hand fatigue.Non-slip design to ensure strong grips in any condition,provides maximum leverage and increased comfort making the grip self adjusting.
- This wire crimper is made of premium industrial grade high strength carbon steel which is treated with black oxidation,rust and corrosion resistance.Qibaok professional insulated wire terminals connectors ratcheting crimper tool is designed for 20-10AWG.
- This terminal crimper has a star wheel that you can adjust the handle crimp strength by adjusting the roulette to ensure uniform crimping each time.Heavy Duty Full-Cycle ratcheting terminal crimper with labor saving system help to a easier operation.The ratcheting function allows to secure a wire connector while you can insert the wires into the crimp.
- Wire Crimper can be used for home appliance repair, home circuit repair, vehicle circuit connection, and everything about circuit connection.
- Cuts and crimps 10-22 AWG wire
- Designed for crimping of both insulated and non-insulated solderless connections and terminals
- Laser heat-treated edges last longer
- High-carbon C1080 steel for superior performance on the job and electronic coating for ultimate rust prevention
- Made in the USA
- High quality professional crimping pliers tool with self adjustable ratchet mechanism, for easy operation.
- Ratcheting action ensures a perfect crimp every time
- Applicable to most types of semi-insulated and fully insulated butt terminals connectors
- Crimping capacity: 22-16 / 16-14 / 12-10A.W.G (0.5-1.5mm², 1.1-2.5mm², 2.6-6.0mm²)
- Crimper Tool Designed For Insulated Electrical Connectors- The professional jaws can quickly and easily crimp various types of insulated connectors. The indentation will not damage the shell during the crimp. It firmly grasps the wires. Each crimper tool is marked with red/blue/yellow for easy identification.
- Precise Ratchet Structure- According to the pressure needed to crimp products of different sizes, the built-in thickened ratchet automatically adjusts to the appropriate position to ensure the safe completion of crimping with easy release of the handle. The crimp height of the star wheel is adjustable to ensure the right amount of crimping force.
- Ergonomic Design- The nylon, non-slip handle ensures comfortable and swift operation. There is a quick-release lever on the inside of the handle that opens the jaws.
- Perfect Combination- We recommend using crimper tools with Haisstronica wire connectors to meet your work's different needs.
- Buyer Confidence- We stand behind the quality of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase,please contact us.We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee,and a 12-month replacement warranty giving customers a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for risk-free purchases!
- Innovative design combines 4 separate functions into one compact 7” tool, ideal for common wire repairs and connections
- Solid forged alloy steel construction with a protective black finish stands up to extensive daily use, more so than comparable punched thin wire tools
- All teeth and blades are CNC machined for more precision and accuracy
- Strips and crimps both insulated and non-insulated wires 12-20 AWG, while gripping nose works to pull, hold, twist, and bend wires
- Heat treated blades cuts through copper, aluminum, and soft steel wires providing clean smooth cuts
Last update on 2021-07-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-07-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API