February 26, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V129000
Difficulty steering, or the inability to steer in both directions, can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V129
Manufacturer Rosenbauer America
Components SUSPENSION, STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected 8
Rosenbauer America (Rosenbauer) is recalling certain 2020 Commander vehicles. The steering gear mounting bolts may become loose and back out, resulting in difficulty steering.
Rosenbauer will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gear mounting bolts and washers, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 2021. Owners may contact Rosenbauer customer service at 1-651-462-1000. Rosenbauer's number for this recall is 21E012.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Service Bulletin SGM 0121
Subject: Some IFS-FT units may have steering gears that the fasteners may loosen and lose clamp load between the cradle and steering gear.
Applies To: IFS for Fire Truck
VDM Range: 11/27/2019 thru 10/28/2020, excluding units contained at OEM.
Verify with OEM on specific affected units and applicable serial numbers.
Vocation: Fire Truck ER
Labor Allowance: 1.5 Hours for removal, cleaning, application of Nord-Lock washers and reinstallation at specified torque.
Please Read the Entire Bulletin and Reference Manuals D710023 before Proceeding with Any Work. Follow industry standards regarding safety equipment and procedures. Refer any questions to Reyco Granning Field Service/Warranty department via 417-466-1044. (Mark Bachman)
This procedure should be done at latest on the Next Scheduled Service Interval.
Perform the below instructions one fastener on each gear at a time for each of the 14 bolts, using an alternating pattern.
Access to all of the bolts can be achieved by steering the suspension to limiting stops.
Steering gear and steering gear clamp area to be cleaned with brake cleaner or similar solvent to remove oils, greases, and contaminants.
Female holes on steering gear to be cleaned with wire bottle brush or similar to remove contaminants such as, but not limited to, thread locker and oil.
While performing the TSB, inspect steering gear (threads and body), fittings and lines connected to the gear, and pitman arm for damage or leaks and replace or service as necessary.
Ensure proper steering fluid level before returning vehicle to service.
- Remove the single 7/8 in bolt from each steering gear; clean the threads inside the steering gear blind hole.
- Discard the fastener and flat washer and install the Nord-Lock washer on the new fastener.
- Install and torque to 500 lb ft.
- Remove the 10 ¾ in fasteners from each steering gear one at a time and clean the threads and mating holes. See images on following pages.
- Access to all bolts may require steering the vehicle from one limit to the other.
- Discard the fasteners that directly thread into the steering gear and replace with new fasteners (6 fasteners directly around the output shaft of the gear)
- Discard the flat washer and install the appropriate Nord-Lock washer on the fastener (new fastener if applicable).
- Install the ¾ in fastener (new fastener if applicable) with Nord-Lock washer and torque to 300 lb ft.
- Repeat with the opposite steering gear.
- This procedure applies to both the master and slave gears.
- Labor Allowance: 5 hr. max recommended. Invoice Charge capped at $195.00
For warranty coverage please supply the following info with warranty claim and submit to Reyco Granning.
- Suspension serial number, located on tag at left front of suspension.
- In Service Date
- Repair Date
- Vehicle mileage (if available)
- Invoice #
2 ea. Reyco Granning Hardware Kit #K715597
500 ft-lb Adjustable Torque Wrench
Bolts Used in Steering Gear:
709388-03 3/4-16 X 1.25 GR 8 ZN (outside bottom plate, and side plate bolt)
8223752 3/4-16 X 2.00 GR 8 PO (bottom plate into steering gear) in K715613
709386-01 7/8-14 X 2, GR 8 ZN (bottom plate into steering gear) in K715613
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
City, State, Zip, Country
April 25, 2021
Re: Safety Recall Notice NHTSA Recall ID# 21V-129
Dear Owner of a Rosenbauer Fire Apparatus:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This is to inform you that your vehicle may have a defect that could cause difficulty in steering or prevent steering to one direction which could increase the risk of a crash. Federal law requires the Recall Remedy completed on this unit prior to customer delivery.
What is the issue?: Rosenbauer America is recalling certain 2020 Rosenbauer Commanders that have particular Reyco Granning Independent Front Suspensions. These front suspension systems from Reyco Granning may have steering gears that the fasteners may loosen and lose clamp load between the cradle and steering gear. Difficulty steering, or the inability to steer in both directions, can increase the risk of a crash. These units were manufactured between 11/27/2019 thru 10/28/2020 using a different type of paint on the steering gearcase mount plates. This paint could flow and relax over
time causing the bolts to lose clamp load and loosen.
How do I know if my truck has this type of equipment: The driver may notice a change in steering feel, primarily related to vagueness, difficulty in holding a straight line, or vehicle wandering, the fasteners may also loosen without warning. We have worked with Reyco Granning in identifying which systems are recalled and which trucks they went into. The Reyco Granning Part Numbers are: IFS24-M48ZC, IFS24- M48O3, IFS20-M48O3, IFS24-M48OC, IFS20-M48OC with the following serial numbers: 2025351, 2026642, 2026629, 2027163, 2027169, 2027199, 2027316, 2027257, 2027903. If you are receiving
this letter, we believe you have one of these units.
How do I resolve this important safety recall: Contact your Rosenbauer Dealer to schedule an appointment for the repair. You may be asked to verify the manufacturer number and serial number of the IFS. Your dealer will contact us to obtain the repair kit. Rosenbauer estimates the repair will take 1 to
1.5 hours. Should you have any questions or are unable to schedule this through your dealer, please contact [email protected] The repair will provided to you free of charge.
What if I already paid to have this repair completed: Contact Rosenbauer and your Rosenbauer Dealer with the details of the repair including pictures of the completed repair or remedied part as well as
a labor sheet or invoice, repair date and vehicle mileage. Once we have received proof of completion and your invoice, we will coordinate reimbursement.
What if I no longer own this truck: please contact Rosenbauer to provide the new owner information. Rosenbauer will then contact the new owner.
If you are the lessor of this vehicle: please forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days to comply with federal regulations or you can contact [email protected] for assistance.
If after having attempted to take advantage of this recall you believe you have not been able to have your fire apparatus remedied without charge and within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800- 424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We apologize for any inconvenience this safety recall may cause, but your safety is our first concern.
Rosenbauer America Warranty Department
100 Third Street
Lyons, SD 57041
From: Lisa Sampson
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 3:34 PM
Subject: Informal Notification - Re: Upcoming Recall 21V-129
Attachments: TSB SGM0121_REV B_ RG TSB submitted to NHTSA.pdf
Hello Valued Rosenbauer Dealers,
We have submitted our initial paperwork to NHTSA and Transport Canada regarding an upcoming recall initiated by
Reyco Granning for a select few front suspension systems. We only have a total of 9 trucks impacted in the US and
Canada and I will contact you if you have one of these impacted trucks. We will then work together to ensure the recall
remedy is complete by sending you or the customer the repair kit.
I have attached a basic summary from Reyco Granning but you are welcome to look up a more detailed report on the
NHTSA website: www.safercar.gov. At this time, I know I will be making a revision to our impacted make and models
since I’m still gathering information.
This email is to provide an informal notification as we gather information and will submit a formal letter or email to you
as well as the owners. Information that we are gathering are exactly which trucks are impacted as well as their current
location (in WIP, at the dealer, at the customer) and how we will handle the repair parts (i.e. logistics). I anticipate
sending official letters to the customers in the next few weeks and I will contact you if you are impacted.
Feel free to reach out should you have any questions regarding recalls or technical service bulletins at
Rosenbauer America, LLC
1 Affected Product
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Miscellaneous Document- Reyco Service Bulletin
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Includes 1-pc. 1/2 in. drive torque wrench; Storage case; Product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- Permanently marked, high-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- 48 tooth ratcheting mechanism
- Accurate to 3% Clockwise and 6% counterclockwise
- High quality internal components for professional performance
- Desired torque is signaled by audible click and impulse
- Heat treated tube with knurled aluminum handle for a better grip.
- This tool does not have to be "turned down" after use 4% accuracy clockwise.
- Speed: Innovative torque mechanism requires only fingertip force to adjust. durability: All steel construction resists industrial fluids and abuse l
- Length: 48"
- dated calibration compliance certificate
- and is made in the USA.
- Protective head bumper
- Locking Trigger
- Bi-material Grip
- Forward and reverse torque capability
- Durable case for easy carrying and protection during storage.Increments (ft-lbs): 1.Increments (Nm): 1.35.TAA Compliant.Meets ASME and ISO standards
- PORTABILITY: Torque wrench 1/2 inch drive has a durable case for portability or storage
- ADDED COMFORT: Bi-material handle for comfort and grip of the 1/2 torque wrench
- HASSLE FREE USE: Locking feature adjusts quick and easily for hassle free use
- QUICK IDENTIFICATION: Scales stamped into housing showing inch and metric torque settings
- Meets or Exceeds ASME Specifications
- “Target torque alert” gives a warning as you approach the target torque; Vibrating handle, buzzer, and solid LED light indicate when target is reached
- 72 Tooth ratchet mechanism with a 5° swing arc allows you to turn fasteners in tight spaces
- Handle and housing are oil and solvent resistant, protecting the tool from harmful agents and keeping your hands in place
- 5 torque measurement units provide a readout in Nm, ft lb, In pounds, kgf m, and kg cm
- Torque accuracy of +/ 2 percent CW and +/ 3 percent CCW between 20 percent and 100 percent of wrench capability
- Power-saving application for torques which are usually in the range of torque screwdrivers
- Torque wrench series with 8 pre-set models for serial production
- Working accuracy in accordance with DIN EN Iso 6789: 2003 type II Class E (+/- 6 %)
- Condition: New
- Up to 1500 ft-lbs Nut-Busting Torque,Most Compact,Most Repeatable Torque,POWERSTATE brushless motor delivers up to 1200ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1500ft-lbs of nut-busting torque
- Most compact cordless High Torque Impact Wrench in its class at 8.59" in length,ONE-KEY Compatible: Customize, Track and Manage tool’s performance and location,M18 FUEL with ONEKEY technology provides the most repeatable Impact Wrench in the industry,Easily toggle up to four custom performance profiles that can be saved to the memory of the tool
- Features a friction ring with thru-hole design to ensure quick and easy socket changes,Premium rubber withstands corrosive materials and provides increased comfort when in use,LED light to illuminate the work area,Part of the M18 System, featuring over 150+ tools
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API