March 19, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V180000
If the spare tire detaches from the vehicle, it may become a road hazard, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V180
Manufacturer Forest River, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 71
Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain 2018 No Boundaries recreational trailers, models NBT10.5 and NBT10.6. The spare tire mount may not be strong enough and the spare tire may detach from the trailer.
Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will replace the spare tire mount, free of charge. The recall began on April 25, 2018. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-574-642-1612. Forest River’s number for this recall is 77-0662.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
FOREST RIVER SPARE TIRE CARRIER REPAIR RECALL #18V-180
This document refers to the repair of Forest River No Boundaries 10 Series travel trailers. Forest River has announced a recall on the spare tire carrier for the No Boundaries 10 Series travel trailer models. The spare tire carrier, which is mounted on the side, is cracking the main rail. To remedy the problem, LCI has created a repair procedure which includes a new subassembly with a receiver tube to be bolted to the main rail.
Unprotected flammable underbelly features may cause a fire or explosion that could result in death, serious personal injury or severe product or property damage. Isolate or shield flammable underbelly features from excessive heat and sparks generated during welding operation.
Make sure the trailer is properly supported before performing any maintenance or repair work. Follow the trailer manufacturer’s recommendations for supporting the trailer. Use proper personal protective equipment.
Welding generates excessive heat, hot sparks and blinding light, which can cause serious personal injury. Use appropriate personal protective equipment for welding, cutting and grinding.
|Part #||Description of kits||Qty|
|728581||Bolt-on No Boundaries spare tire repair subassembly kit; includes hardware listed below||1|
|721401||Spare tire carrier, new (ordered separately)||1|
|Part #||Description of parts contained in subassembly kit||Qty|
|728579||Bolt-on spare tire repair subassembly||1|
|118230||1/4″ – 14 x 3/4″ screw, self-drilling hex washer-head||4|
|132696||1/2″ – 13 x 3 1/4″ bolt, yellow Zinc, Grade 5||4|
|135855||1/2″ flat washer, Zinc||8|
|118045||1/2″ – 13 nylon locking nut, Zinc||4|
|383495||3/8″ – 16 x 3 1/2″ bolt, Grade 8; or a Grade 5 minimum equivalent||2|
|119075||3/8″ flat washer , Zinc||4|
|118044||3/8″ – 16 nylon locking nut, Zinc||2|
Note: Orange lines indicate where material will be removed by cutting.
- Support the trailer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Remove old spare tire carrier.
- Make sure the area is clear of insulation, obstructions and fire hazards.
- Cut away both spare tire carrier tubes from the main rail (Fig. 1).
- Inspect area for cracking and, if needed, repair cracks with welds.
- Grind down repair to provide a flat surface for attaching the repair subassembly (Fig. 2). Take care not to compromise the tube wall.
- After welds have cooled, clean and paint welded areas.
- Place the repair subassembly (Fig. 2) under the main rail so the rail bisects the wider front plate and the narrower back plate of the subassembly (Fig. 4).
A. For proper horizontal placement, place the left edge of the front plate flush against the end of the main rail (Fig. 3).
B. For proper vertical placement, slide the subassembly upward until the receiver tube is held firmly against the bottom of the main rail (Fig. 4) and the bracket is flush with the top of the main rail.
Note: If subassembly is not flush with the top of the main rail, the rail will pucker when the fasteners are tightened.
- Using the pre-drilled holes in the four corners of the front plate, install four 1/4″ – 14 x 3/4″ self-drilling screws (Fig. 3).
- Locate the larger pre-drilled bolt holes in the subassembly above the receiver tube (Fig. 3).
- With a 1/2″ drill bit and using the subassembly’s pre-drilled holes as a template, drill four bolt holes through the main rail and rear plate.
- Place a 1/2″ flat washer onto a 1/2″ – 13 x 3/4″ Grade 8 bolt.
- Insert 1/2″ bolt with washer through one of the bolt holes (Fig. 5), then place a 1/2″ flat washer and a 1/2″ nylon locking nut onto the end of the bolt (Fig. 6).
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other three bolts.
- Torque nuts to 30 ft-lbs to secure subassembly.
- Place new spare tire carrier on receiver tube (Fig. 7).
- Place 3/8″ flat washers onto 3/8″ – 16 x 3 1/2″ Grade 8 bolts, and then insert bolts through the two new spare tire carrier mounting bolt holes and the receiver tube mounting bolt holes.
- Place 3/8″ flat washers and 3/8″ locking nuts onto the ends of the bolts.
- Tighten nuts to safely secure new spare tire carrier to the receiver tube.
As a supplier of components to the RV industry, safety, education and customer satisfaction are our primary concerns. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (574) 537-8900 or by email at [email protected]. Self-help tips, technical documents, product videos and a training class schedule are available at lci1.com or by downloading the MyLCI app.
NO BOUNDARIES SPARE TIRE CARRIER RECALL INSTRUCTIONS
2.) The LP quick disconnect located on the door side of the A-frame will need to be repositioned 14” from the back of the A-frame. There are two self-tapping screws holding the disconnect onto the frame.
3.) The breakaway switch will also need to be repositioned if needed once stabilizer jack have been moved.
4.) Follow Lippert’s instructions.
5.) Once the new tire carrier has been installed you will need to run the wires through the opening of the new carrier as shown in photo to connect the clearance light on the carrier.
1 Affected Product
|FOREST RIVER||NO BOUNDARIES||2018|
7 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2019-1
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-4
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2018-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Holds 4-lug (4 on 4" bolt pattern) and 5-lug (5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern) trailer wheels and not compatible with 5 on 4-3/4" or 5 on 5" bolt pattern
- Mounts on trailer tongues up to 3 inch wide and 5 inch high
- Angled and raised mount design makes this ideal for boat trailers as well
- Durable powder coat finish to resist rust and corrosion
- Zinc plated mounting hardware
- VERSATILE. This spare tire mount has slotted holes and a 24-inch height to fit a wide range of tire and wheel sizes (tire mounting hardware not included)
- STANDARD FIT. This trailer hitch spare tire mount is equipped with a standard 2-inch shank to fit any industry-standard 2-inch x 2-inch trailer hitch receiver (hitch pin sold separately)
- FRONT OR REAR. This trailer hitch accessory can be mounted on the front or rear of the vehicle, wherever a standard 2-inch receiver is properly installed
- SOLID STRENGTH. This receiver hitch spare tire mounting bracket is constructed from steel to provide dependable strength for miles to come.CURT hitches are welded using manual and robotic processes for speed and precision
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting protection against the elements, this trailer hitch wheel mount is shielded in a durable black powder coat finish
- The solution if you are running oversized tires on your 07+ Jeep Wrangler JK and need a full-size spare tire, but don’t want to run an aftermarket rear bumper with an integrated tire carrier
- Adjustable tire mount holds 37" maximum tire size (up to 135 lbs) while maintaining easy single action of opening and closing of the tailgate
- Strong monoblock aluminum construction and forged chrome mounting brackets (30% stronger than steel) eliminate tailgate sag
- No drilling required - you can maintain OE bumpers, if preferred
- Mounting points for brackets to mount trail jack. Mount (#2844) and Trail Jack (#2722) sold separately
- Easily mount to your trailer to create a spare tire mount location
- Fits trailer tongues up to 6" tall and 3.5" wide
- Durable, powder coated steel and zinc-plated hardware
- Easy to install, no permanent mount
- Compatible with 4 lug X 4" diameter hole pattern, 5 lug X 4.5" diameter hole pattern, and 5 lug X 4.75" diameter hole pattern
- Compatibility & Fit: This trailer spare tire carrier is designed to fit trailer tongues, including boat trailers’, to 2.95″wide and 3.94″ high, and is further upgraded to hold 4-lug and 5-lug wheels with 3.94″, 4″, 4.25″ and 4.72″ bolt patterns.
- Tough Construction: Made of forged iron with solid-state welding, this spare tire mount is designed to handle tires of up to 120 lbs, and Zinc plated spare tire mount and mounting hardware is naturally resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Easy Installation: The bolt-on installation and removal is easy. No drilling is required for installation, thanks to the included tire plate and mounting hardware, which makes this spare tire mount a breeze to install and use.
- Optimized Design: The spare tire bracket provides easy access in the event that it is needed, and the close-to-trailer design helps reduce wind resistance, and it also features raised design that moves the wheel up for increased ground clearance.
- Peace of Mind: Ideal for mounting your spare tire vertically to the side of trailer tongue or frame rails, and the package includes zinc plated mounting hardware, you don’t have to buy bolts and nuts separately.
- 【Upgraded Spare Tire Carrier】: Fits most tongue and trailer frames Compatible with 4 Lug X 4", 5 Lug X 4.5" /4.75“ /5” /5.5", 6 Lug X 5.5" /6.0",and 8 Lug X 6.5" Diameter Hole Pattern.
- 【Unique Design】: Our the spare tire mount Equipped with a large tire hanging plate, which is firm and stable, so that the tire is not easy to shake and loos,design to hold max load up to120 lbs with durable,powder coated steel and zinc-plated hardware
- 【Wide Range Compatibility】: This spare tire bracket Fits trailer tongues up to 6" tall and 4" wide.
- 【Easy Installation】: No drilling is required for installation, When installing, first fix the carriage screw to the spare tire bracket with a black spring washer,which will make subsequent installation easier,then install the tire and cone nut,and finally lock the ordinary nut to prevent loosening. The design of adding this nut will effectively prevent the loosening of the conical nut for fixing the spare tire,and there is no need to worry about losing the tire on the road.
- 【Package contains】: All mounting hardware and installation instructions induded,which makes this spare tire mount a breeze to install and use.
- Upgraded Tire Fit: Compatible with Compatible with 4 lug X 4" diameter hole pattern, 5 lug X 4.5"/4.75“/5” diameter hole pattern, and 6 lug X 5.5" diameter hole pattern.
- Universal Compatibility: Fits trailer tongues up to 6" tall and 4" wide. Angled and raised mount design makes this ideal for boat trailers as well.
- Double-nut Design: Prevent one of them from loosing, no fear of losing the tire on the road. Spring-sheet lock the Carriage screw and bracket, you can install it easily.
- Easy to install: Bolt-on design, No cutting or drilling. The zinc-plated Included hardware make you can easily set up the spare tire mount to your trailer. You can choose different lengths of screws, according to the size of the steel beam of your frame.
- Heavy Duty Construction: The trail spare tire mount is design to hold Max load up to 120 lbs with high quality forged iron. Durable powder coat finish to resist rust and corrosion.
- Mounts into a 2" receiver
- Fits wheel sizes: 16", 16.5", 19.5", 22.5" and 24"
- 10,000-pound maximum capacity; 400-pound maximum tongue weight
- Built in receiver allows for towing a car or attaching a bike rack or accessory
- Upgraded Tire Fit: further upgraded to hold Compatible with 4 lug X 4"diameter hole pattern, 5 lug X 4.5", 4.75“, 5”, 5.5"diameter hole pattern, 6 lug X 5.5", 6.0"diameter hole pattern, and 8 lug X 6.5" diameter hole pattern.
- This spare tire bracket mounts on trailer tongues up to 4" wide and 5" tall.
- Heavy Duty Construction: Heavy-duty, welded, reinforced zinc-plated steel construction, this spare tire mount is designed to handle tires of up to 120 lbs, and Zinc plated spare tire mount and mounting hardware is naturally resistant to rust and corrosion.
- All mounting hardware and installation instructions included.Ideal for mounting your spare tire vertically to the side of trailer tongue or frame rails.
- Easy Installation: The bolt-on installation and removal is easy. No drilling is required for installation, Included tire plate and mounting hardware, which makes this spare tire mount a breeze to install and use.
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.