March 19, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V180000
If the spare tire detaches from the vehicle, it may become a road hazard, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V180
Manufacturer Forest River, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 71
Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain 2018 No Boundaries recreational trailers, models NBT10.5 and NBT10.6. The spare tire mount may not be strong enough and the spare tire may detach from the trailer.
Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will replace the spare tire mount, free of charge. The recall began on April 25, 2018. Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-574-642-1612. Forest River's number for this recall is 77-0662.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
FOREST RIVER SPARE TIRE CARRIER REPAIR RECALL #18V-180
This document refers to the repair of Forest River No Boundaries 10 Series travel trailers. Forest River has announced a recall on the spare tire carrier for the No Boundaries 10 Series travel trailer models. The spare tire carrier, which is mounted on the side, is cracking the main rail. To remedy the problem, LCI has created a repair procedure which includes a new subassembly with a receiver tube to be bolted to the main rail.
Unprotected flammable underbelly features may cause a fire or explosion that could result in death, serious personal injury or severe product or property damage. Isolate or shield flammable underbelly features from excessive heat and sparks generated during welding operation.
Make sure the trailer is properly supported before performing any maintenance or repair work. Follow the trailer manufacturer's recommendations for supporting the trailer. Use proper personal protective equipment.
Welding generates excessive heat, hot sparks and blinding light, which can cause serious personal injury. Use appropriate personal protective equipment for welding, cutting and grinding.
|Part #||Description of kits||Qty|
|728581||Bolt-on No Boundaries spare tire repair subassembly kit; includes hardware listed below||1|
|721401||Spare tire carrier, new (ordered separately)||1|
|Part #||Description of parts contained in subassembly kit||Qty|
|728579||Bolt-on spare tire repair subassembly||1|
|118230||1/4" - 14 x 3/4" screw, self-drilling hex washer-head||4|
|132696||1/2" - 13 x 3 1/4" bolt, yellow Zinc, Grade 5||4|
|135855||1/2" flat washer, Zinc||8|
|118045||1/2" - 13 nylon locking nut, Zinc||4|
|383495||3/8" - 16 x 3 1/2" bolt, Grade 8; or a Grade 5 minimum equivalent||2|
|119075||3/8" flat washer , Zinc||4|
|118044||3/8" - 16 nylon locking nut, Zinc||2|
Note: Orange lines indicate where material will be removed by cutting.
- Support the trailer in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Remove old spare tire carrier.
- Make sure the area is clear of insulation, obstructions and fire hazards.
- Cut away both spare tire carrier tubes from the main rail (Fig. 1).
- Inspect area for cracking and, if needed, repair cracks with welds.
- Grind down repair to provide a flat surface for attaching the repair subassembly (Fig. 2). Take care not to compromise the tube wall.
- After welds have cooled, clean and paint welded areas.
- Place the repair subassembly (Fig. 2) under the main rail so the rail bisects the wider front plate and the narrower back plate of the subassembly (Fig. 4).
A. For proper horizontal placement, place the left edge of the front plate flush against the end of the main rail (Fig. 3).
B. For proper vertical placement, slide the subassembly upward until the receiver tube is held firmly against the bottom of the main rail (Fig. 4) and the bracket is flush with the top of the main rail.
Note: If subassembly is not flush with the top of the main rail, the rail will pucker when the fasteners are tightened.
- Using the pre-drilled holes in the four corners of the front plate, install four 1/4" - 14 x 3/4" self-drilling screws (Fig. 3).
- Locate the larger pre-drilled bolt holes in the subassembly above the receiver tube (Fig. 3).
- With a 1/2" drill bit and using the subassembly's pre-drilled holes as a template, drill four bolt holes through the main rail and rear plate.
- Place a 1/2" flat washer onto a 1/2" - 13 x 3/4" Grade 8 bolt.
- Insert 1/2" bolt with washer through one of the bolt holes (Fig. 5), then place a 1/2" flat washer and a 1/2" nylon locking nut onto the end of the bolt (Fig. 6).
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other three bolts.
- Torque nuts to 30 ft-lbs to secure subassembly.
- Place new spare tire carrier on receiver tube (Fig. 7).
- Place 3/8" flat washers onto 3/8" - 16 x 3 1/2" Grade 8 bolts, and then insert bolts through the two new spare tire carrier mounting bolt holes and the receiver tube mounting bolt holes.
- Place 3/8" flat washers and 3/8" locking nuts onto the ends of the bolts.
- Tighten nuts to safely secure new spare tire carrier to the receiver tube.
As a supplier of components to the RV industry, safety, education and customer satisfaction are our primary concerns. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (574) 537-8900 or by email at [email protected]. Self-help tips, technical documents, product videos and a training class schedule are available at lci1.com or by downloading the MyLCI app.
NO BOUNDARIES SPARE TIRE CARRIER RECALL INSTRUCTIONS
1.) Reposition both front stabilizer jacks from the sidewall parallel position to the angle position as shown in photos. This will require a tack weld on both jacks both removal and install.
2.) The LP quick disconnect located on the door side of the A-frame will need to be repositioned 14” from the back of the A-frame. There are two self-tapping screws holding the disconnect onto the frame.
3.) The breakaway switch will also need to be repositioned if needed once stabilizer jack have been moved.
4.) Follow Lippert’s instructions.
5.) Once the new tire carrier has been installed you will need to run the wires through the opening of the new carrier as shown in photo to connect the clearance light on the carrier.
1 Affected Product
|FOREST RIVER||NO BOUNDARIES||2018|
7 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2019-1
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-4
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2018-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Holds 4-lug (4 on 4" bolt pattern) and 5-lug (5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern) trailer wheels and not compatible with 5 on 4-3/4" or 5 on 5" bolt pattern
- Mounts on trailer tongues up to 3 inch wide and 5 inch high
- Angled and raised mount design makes this ideal for boat trailers as well
- Durable powder coat finish to resist rust and corrosion
- Zinc plated mounting hardware
- The solution if you are running oversized tires on your 07+ Jeep Wrangler JK and need a full-size spare tire, but don’t want to run an aftermarket rear bumper with an integrated tire carrier
- Adjustable tire mount holds 37" maximum tire size (up to 135 lbs) while maintaining easy single action of opening and closing of the tailgate
- Strong monoblock aluminum construction and forged chrome mounting brackets (30% stronger than steel) eliminate tailgate sag
- No drilling required - you can maintain OE bumpers, if preferred
- Mounting points for brackets to mount trail jack. Mount (#2844) and Trail Jack (#2722) sold separately
- Heavy-duty, welded, reinforced zinc-plated steel construction
- Fits 4 hole rims with 4" bolt circle patterns and 5 hole rims with 4. 5" bolt circles
- Designed for front or mid-trailer mounting
- Easy-to-install bolt-on design - No cutting or drilling
- All mounting hardware included - Two-year replacement
- VERSATILE. This spare tire mount has slotted holes and a 24-inch height to fit a wide range of tire and wheel sizes (tire mounting hardware not included).
- STANDARD FIT. This trailer hitch spare tire mount is equipped with a standard 2-inch shank to fit any industry-standard 2-inch x 2-inch trailer hitch receiver (hitch pin sold separately).
- FRONT OR REAR. This trailer hitch accessory can be mounted on the front or rear of the vehicle, wherever a standard 2-inch receiver is properly installed.
- SOLID STRENGTH. This receiver hitch spare tire mounting bracket is constructed from steel to provide dependable strength for miles to come.
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting protection against the elements, this trailer hitch wheel mount is shielded in a durable black powder coat finish.
- Heavy-duty steel construction with nickel plate finish to prevent corrosion
- High-mount offset design holds tires at an angle and fits all boat trailers
- Fits 3" and 4" trailer frames with included hardware (5" trailer frames require Extreme Max hardware package 3001. 0077, sold separately)
- Fits tires up to 16'' with 4, 5, or 6-hole bolt patterns
- Two-year full replacement
- Brand new, direct replacement, easy installation, 1 YEAR WARRANTY, fast shipping
- Fitment: silverado 1500 spare tire hoist; sierra 1500 spare tire winch; GMC sierra spare tire hoist, etc. For more specific fitment please check the product description
- ONLY FOR 6 LUG, NOT FOR 8 LUGManufactured from high-quality materials with super durability
- Reference number: 924-510, 924510, 15703311, 15866164, 20870067
- With any problems, please contact us directly through our customer service, we promise to try our best to solve your problems
- REPLACEMENT SPARE TIRE HOIST - Holds your spare tire in place underneath the rear of your vehicle. This is an updated design without the secondary safety latch or lock that usually gets stucked over time due to elements like mud that hit the undercarriage of your vehicle making you unable to get the spare tire down.
- FITS THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES - 1999 - 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 | 2001 - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD | 1999 - 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 | 2001 - 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD | 2000 Chevrolet Suburban 1500, 2500, Tahoe | 1999 - 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 | 2001 - 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD | 1999 - 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 | 2001 - 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD | 2000 GMC Yukon, XL 1500, XL 2500 | & more. See below for the full vehicle list.
- REPLACES PART# 20870067, 15703311, 924-510, 15866164, 924510 commonly found on popular Chevrolet Silverado & Sierra models including year models 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. The spare tire hoist can be located underneath the rear end of your vehicle and can be accessed by removing the spare tire. Installation is easy with no special tools required.
- OEM FIT, QUALITY, FINISH - While this is not a genuine GM or Dorman part, it is a direct replacement and it will fit and work exactly like the factory part. This spare tire hoist has the updated design and does not have the secondary latch or lock that your old spare tire hoist has which can be a pain to remove especially during emergency situations.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - This spare tire holder assembly from AA Ignition comes complete with a lifetime warranty. If the part ever fail or break apart simply contact us for a replacement. Save hundreds of dollars off of dealer prices by purchasing this part and taking advantage of our warranty.
- Fits all JK Wrangler models including Rubicon and Unlimited
- If installed without the HD hinged carrier the maximum tire size recommended is 35".
- This adjustable carrier kit has been designed to be installed in conjunction with the teraflex HD hinged carrier, but can be installed separately
- A wheel spacer (#1055005) is available separately for wheels with more than 5" of backspacing.
Last update on 2020-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API