May 19, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V282000
If the fasteners break, the pedestal may separate from turntable, increasing the risk of injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V282
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 157
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2018-2020 AA55, AM50 and A77 Aerial Devices and D2, D3, D4, DH-B and DH-H Digger Derricks. The bolts that secure the pedestal to the turntable (with head marking 5185) may fail.
Altec will notify owners and will provide replacement fasteners if necessary, free of charge. This recall began July 2, 2020. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 760.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list
NHTSA Safety Recall
June 25, 2020
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain A55-OC, A77-T, AM, and AME Series aerial devices and D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, and DHH Series
digger derricks units. These units may have rotation bearing cap screws that can fail. Failed cap screws can cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 760 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement cap screws to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 760, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 2 to 4 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
June 25, 2020
Units Affected: A55-OC, A77-T, AM, and AME Series aerial devices and D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, and DHH Series digger derricks built from September 2018 through January 2020 (see attached list)
Rotation Bearing Cap Screw Inspection
Altec is committed to providing our customers safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Altec has received reports of isolated failures of rotation bearing cap screws on the affected units. Investigation has found that the cap screws in a specific lot were not manufactured to the Altec specification. This could cause them to fail prematurely. Failure of rotation bearing cap screws can cause uncontrolled movement. Death or serious injury can result from uncontrolled movement.
Altec requires a visual inspection of the rotation bearing cap screws on the affected units for the cap screw condition and head marking. The inspection must be done no later than the next regular maintenance interval or 90 days from the receipt of this CSN, whichever comes first.
- On aerial devices, inspect only the outer race cap screws.
- On derricks, inspect both the outer race and inner race cap screws.
|Altec Use Only|
|Inspection labor||0.5 hr|
|Repair labor||2.0 hr Outer Race|
|4.0 hr Inner Race|
|Prime fail P/N||990874176|
|Parts Kit||Part Number||Qty||Warranty|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Outer Race (Aerial)||970744776||1||Yes|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Outer Race (Derrick)||990644109||1||Yes|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Inner Race (Derrick)||990644108||1||Yes|
Look at the cap screw heads in the specified rotation bearing race(s) for a 5185 marking below the Altec logo (refer to Figure 1). Perform the following action(s) based on the inspection.
- If any cap screws in the race are broken, remove the unit from service immediately and replace all the cap screws in that race.
- If any cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking and no cap screws are broken, replace all the cap screws in that race no later than the next regular maintenance interval or 90 days from the receipt of this CSN, whichever comes first.
- If none of the cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking and no cap screws are broken, the inspection is complete on that race. If none of the cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking, complete the Inspection Sheet at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec after the inspection is completed on the outer race of aerial devices and on both races of derricks.
If cap screw replacement is required, call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) and select Prompt 1 to order the appropriate rotation bearing fastener kit(s) from the chart below.
|Model||Outer Race Kit||Inner Race Kit|
|Part Number||Part Number|
|A55-OC, A77-T, AM, AME||970744776||N/A|
|D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, DHH||990644109||990644108|
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $45 for the labor to perform this inspection, up to $180 to perform this repair on the outer race, and up to $360 for the labor to perform this repair on the inner race. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
6 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-3
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-4
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-1
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Includes 1-pc. 1/2 in. drive torque wrench; Storage case; Product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- Permanently marked, high-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- 48 tooth ratcheting mechanism
- Accurate to 3% Clockwise and 6% counterclockwise
- High quality internal components for professional performance
- Desired torque is signaled by audible click and impulse
- Heat treated tube with knurled aluminum handle for a better grip.
- This tool does not have to be "turned down" after use 4% accuracy clockwise.
- Speed: Innovative torque mechanism requires only fingertip force to adjust. durability: All steel construction resists industrial fluids and abuse l
- Length: 48"
- dated calibration compliance certificate
- and is made in the USA.
- Quality made and precision
- Easily set an infinite range of torque values
- Prevents damage: won't allow over torqueing
- Use on single & dual wheels
- Comes with molded carrying case
- [Advanced Technology]: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs foot pounds torque range with LED flashing / vibration / buzzer alarm when torque is reached. Easy to read LCD display with measurements (kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. ft-lb)
- [Multiple Setting Functions]: Torque, Measurement, and, Peak & Trace, Mode Settings. (Torque setting range: 10% of max torque value. Measuring range: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs)
- [High Accuracy]: 2% clockwise 3% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale
- [Quality Assurance]: Meets or exceeds ASME B107. 14-2004, ISO 6789 standards, individually serialized with matching certificate of calibration traceable to N. I. S. T.
- Uses 4x AAA Batteries. One-year limited manufacturer warranty
- Power-saving application for torques which are usually in the range of torque screwdrivers
- Torque wrench series with 8 pre-set models for serial production
- Working accuracy in accordance with DIN EN Iso 6789: 2003 type II Class E (+/- 6 %)
Last update on 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API