May 19, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V282000
If the fasteners break, the pedestal may separate from turntable, increasing the risk of injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V282
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 157
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2018-2020 AA55, AM50 and A77 Aerial Devices and D2, D3, D4, DH-B and DH-H Digger Derricks. The bolts that secure the pedestal to the turntable (with head marking 5185) may fail.
Altec will notify owners and will provide replacement fasteners if necessary, free of charge. This recall began July 2, 2020. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec’s number for this recall is CSN 760.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list
NHTSA Safety Recall
June 25, 2020
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain A55-OC, A77-T, AM, and AME Series aerial devices and D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, and DHH Series
digger derricks units. These units may have rotation bearing cap screws that can fail. Failed cap screws can cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 760 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement cap screws to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 760, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 2 to 4 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
June 25, 2020
Units Affected: A55-OC, A77-T, AM, and AME Series aerial devices and D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, and DHH Series digger derricks built from September 2018 through January 2020 (see attached list)
Rotation Bearing Cap Screw Inspection
Altec is committed to providing our customers safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Altec has received reports of isolated failures of rotation bearing cap screws on the affected units. Investigation has found that the cap screws in a specific lot were not manufactured to the Altec specification. This could cause them to fail prematurely. Failure of rotation bearing cap screws can cause uncontrolled movement. Death or serious injury can result from uncontrolled movement.
Altec requires a visual inspection of the rotation bearing cap screws on the affected units for the cap screw condition and head marking. The inspection must be done no later than the next regular maintenance interval or 90 days from the receipt of this CSN, whichever comes first.
- On aerial devices, inspect only the outer race cap screws.
- On derricks, inspect both the outer race and inner race cap screws.
|Altec Use Only|
|Inspection labor||0.5 hr|
|Repair labor||2.0 hr Outer Race|
|4.0 hr Inner Race|
|Prime fail P/N||990874176|
|Parts Kit||Part Number||Qty||Warranty|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Outer Race (Aerial)||970744776||1||Yes|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Outer Race (Derrick)||990644109||1||Yes|
|Replacement Fasteners Kit, Inner Race (Derrick)||990644108||1||Yes|
Look at the cap screw heads in the specified rotation bearing race(s) for a 5185 marking below the Altec logo (refer to Figure 1). Perform the following action(s) based on the inspection.
- If any cap screws in the race are broken, remove the unit from service immediately and replace all the cap screws in that race.
- If any cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking and no cap screws are broken, replace all the cap screws in that race no later than the next regular maintenance interval or 90 days from the receipt of this CSN, whichever comes first.
- If none of the cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking and no cap screws are broken, the inspection is complete on that race. If none of the cap screws in the race have the 5185 head marking, complete the Inspection Sheet at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec after the inspection is completed on the outer race of aerial devices and on both races of derricks.
If cap screw replacement is required, call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) and select Prompt 1 to order the appropriate rotation bearing fastener kit(s) from the chart below.
|Model||Outer Race Kit||Inner Race Kit|
|Part Number||Part Number|
|A55-OC, A77-T, AM, AME||970744776||N/A|
|D2/3/4000B, D3000H, DHB, DHE, DHH||990644109||990644108|
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $45 for the labor to perform this inspection, up to $180 to perform this repair on the outer race, and up to $360 for the labor to perform this repair on the inner race. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
6 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-3
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-4
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-1
Latest Recalls Documents
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Includes storage case and product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- PORTABILITY: Torque wrench 1/2 inch drive has a durable case for portability or storage
- ADDED COMFORT: Bi-material handle for comfort and grip of the 1/2 torque wrench
- HASSLE FREE USE: Locking feature adjusts quick and easily for hassle free use
- QUICK IDENTIFICATION: Scales stamped into housing showing inch and metric torque settings
- Meets or Exceeds ASME Specifications
- [CLICK SOUND] - Wrench clicks when torque is achieved to prevent exceeding the preset torque level.
- [HIGH ACCURACY] - Item comes pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use
- [DURABLE RATCHET] - the K Tool International tool is rugged and designed for shop use. Torque wrench was designed for accuracy, strength and reliability to tackle your toughest jobs.
- [LENGTH] - This wrenches overall length is 18 inches. Perfect for those needing precision when tightening bolts.
- [EASY-TO-READ] - Wrench provides easy to read measurements while on the job.
- Precision Torque Measurement - Install components with calibrated precision - 2.0 to 20.0 Newton Meter torque range with micro adjustment to 0.1. Helps ensure that the fittings on your bike are tightened to the correct torque, and that clamping forces are distributed evenly across clamping surfaces. This helps prolong the life of high-performance components and prevents damage from over tightening. Ideal for use on stems, seat clamps, lever clamps, chain sets, rotors and headsets.
- Peace of Mind Protect Your Investment – Over-tightening bolts can cause expensive damage to your bike. Applying too little torque can lead to bolts working loose or not doing their job. Our 1/4-inch drive dual-direction torque wrench driver removes the guesswork, making it easy to follow the manufacturer’s recommended settings. Each hand tool is shipped pre-calibration tested for accuracy, +/- 4% (clockwise) and +/- 6% (counter clockwise).
- Safe & Easy to Use & Read – Smooth and precise operation. Spring loaded adjustment collar automatically ‘locks’ in place at the desired torque setting, ensuring it will not accidentally slip when being used. High-contrast Nm scale is easy to read. Wrench emits a ‘click’ that can be ‘heard and/or felt’ when the pre-set torque value is reached, alerting you to ‘stop’ applying force. Important: At low Nm settings under 5 Nm the click can be ‘subtle’. Between 5 & 20 Nm the click will be stronger.
- Right Tools for The Job – Includes Hex: H2, H2.5, H3, H4, H5, H6, H8, H10. Torx: T10, T25, T30 socket / key set and 100mm extension bar for reaching concealed bolts. Bespoke protective molded case to keep the adjustable torque wrench and tool bits stored safely, also includes ‘storage’ section inside case to store bolts when using the wrench. Reversible 72-tooth ratchet head measures torque in clockwise and counter clockwise directions. Engage and release bit instalment button.
- Professional Quality – Each hand tool is fully calibration tested for accuracy to ISO 6789-2:2017 and DIN EN ISO 6789-1:2017-07 requirements and test methods for design conformance testing, quality conformance testing and recalibration procedure. Includes individual certificate of calibration with each set. We are so confident about our high-quality wrenches that if you have any product issues, we’re very happy to either provide a Refund or a Replacement on your purchase!
- No need to reset the tool to the bottom of the scale after use since there is no internal coil spring
- Innovative torque measuring mechanism requires only fingertip force to adjust the reading
- Rugged construction resist industrial fluids and counters abuse
- 4% Accurate clockwise and counterclockwise direction
- Torque range is 200 to 1000 foot pounds
- Dual scale, calibrated dual direction
- Positive lock with spring loaded pull down lock ring
- Fast, accurate and easy to set
- Easy to read laser marked single scale
- TORQUE WRENCH: The NEIKO professional-grade torque wrench is the perfect tool for loosening and tightening stubborn lug nuts, screws, or bolts. Use this one-direction precision instrument on the road or in your home for all your tough wrench needs.
- TORQUE RATCHET WRENCH: This inch-pound torque wrench and ratchet tool features a reversible function with a locking and unlocking adjustment. It also has an adjustable clicker that lets you select from the easy-to-read torque value scale.
- LONG-HANDLED TOOL: The wrench click stick has a 48-inch length, making it easy to loosen tough bolts at high torque settings in a range of 100 to 700 ft-lb. The handle of this wrench tool has a soft, firm grip for easy turning and pulling.
- PRO-GRADE ACCURACY: Using factory testing, this torque wrench is calibrated to have results of +/- 4% to assist in damage prevention on your bolts. The professional heat-treated CrV steel provides durability and shock resistance as well.
- PORTABLE TORQUE WRENCH SET: This automotive tool comes with an ABS custom-fitted storage case for safe and convenient storage when not in use. It also includes a key and lock for the case. Carry your torque wrench with you easily from job to job.
- VALUE KIT – Our value packed Digital Torque Wrench Combo Kit comes with 2 digital torque wrenches: ARM601-3 (3/8” / 3.7 to 37 ft-lbs.) and ARM601-4 (1/2” / 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs.), a manual of instructions and guidance, and 2 individual hard-shell cases that protect and secure the tools once they are done using. Both tools are powered by 4 AAA batteries (not included).
- EASY TO USE – Our lightweight, heavy duty, and professionally calibrated digital torque wrenches are engineered with high-quality materials that display real-time torque values in ft-lbs. and Nm. Excellent tool for tiny, tight, and narrow working environment, but also reliable torque values that is ideal for professionals, automotive, motor bikes, and many other industrial uses.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY – ACDelco is long known for its stellar quality and this combo tool kit is no different. It offers speed, accuracy, and an easy-to-read LCD screen that beeps when a desired torque value is achieved. Our digital torque wrench is also highly efficient, with longer lifespan and industrial grade alloy metal engineered to last for years or even decades to come with proper uses.
- USER-FRIENDLY – Lightweight composite housing with ergonomic soft grip handle design provides comfort for long working hours and a secure grip for maximum control and steadiness. Slim body design molded to securely fit and balance hand torque to help reduce vibration and fatigue with less wear on your hands.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – For over 35 years we have been manufacturing and providing the best products and services to our customers at the lowest prices possible. We are confident that you will absolutely love our digital torque wrench combo kit that we will stand behind our product with a replacement or your money back! Every purchase comes with a manufacturer’s limited 1-year warranty, so you can buy with confidence!
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.