May 5, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V251000
A sudden loss of drive power and loss of power steering increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V251
Manufacturer Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 5
Daimler Trucks North America, LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2019 Freightliner Business Class M2 buses equipped with Cummins PowerDrive EV drivetrains, part numbers 4000EV, 6000EV, and 7000EV. A connector within the wire harness may become unplugged and cause loss of communication between control modules, resulting in sudden loss of drive power and power steering.
Per Cummins, all of the affected vehicles have been remedied. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712 or Cummins customer service at 1-800-286-6467. DTNA's number for this recall is FL-850.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
June 16, 2020
Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590
Subject: Cummins PowerDrive EV Drivetrains
NHTSA NS No. – 20V-251
Manufacture number: FL-850
There will be no publications for noncompliant recall for 20V-251.
All vehicles within this recall campaign have been repaired, per Cummins repair details, cable ties were installed on the subject connectors in February 2020 prior to any publications of a Dealer’s Bulletin or Owner Notification. All repairs were completed by Cummins at the customer location.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
Daimler Trucks North America, LLC
4747 N. Channel Avenue
Portland OR 97217-7699
Date of Submission: May 5, 2020
Manufacturer: Daimler Trucks North America LLC
P.O. BOX 3849
Portland, Oregon 97208
Type of Report: X Safety Defect ⃝ Non-Compliance
Model Yr. Start: 2019 Model Yr. End: 2019
Make: Freightliner Model: Business Class M2
Production Dates: Begin: 08/27/18 End: 10/30/18
Descriptive Information: Freightliner Business Class M2 vehicles equipped with a PowerDrive EV
electric drivetrain with wire harnesses that facilitate communication among various control modules that
Cummins Inc. has identified per equipment recall 20E-003.
Number potentially involved: 5 Estimated percentage of involve with defect: 100%
Defect / Noncompliance Description
For this Defect/Noncompliance:
Describe the defect or noncompliance: Cummins states per NHTSA 20E-003, “A connector within the
wire harness installed in the subject EV drivetrains may be susceptible to becoming unplugged. If the
connector becomes unplugged, under certain circumstances, the communication between the control
modules may be lost and the system may command off the high voltage contactors, resulting in
unexpected loss of all systems powered by high voltage, including the traction drive system and power
Describe the safety risk: Cummins states per NHTSA 20E-003, “A sudden and simultaneous loss of
motive power and loss of power steering may increase the risk of a crash”
If applicable, identify the manufacture of the defective or noncompliant component.
Box 3005, Mail Code 41303
Columbus IN 47202-3005
Component Name: Powertrain
Component Description: PowerDrive EV Powertrain
Component Part Number: 4000EV/6000EV/7000EV
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the
noncompliance decision.: On April 22, 2020, DTNA product Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
received notification from Cummins of a quarterly recall completion report for equipment recall 20E-003.
DTNA reviewed Cummins’ Part 573 filing which indicated there was more than a single OEM affected.
Although the completion report indicated that all of the affected DTNA vehicles had been remedied,
DTNA Compliance and Regulatory Affairs recommended that a companion vehicle Part 573 should also
be filed in addition to Cummins’ equipment Part 573. On April 29, DTNA made a determination to file a
defect information report on the five affected vehicles to supplement Cummins’ equipment recall 20E-
Identify the Remedy
Describe the defect/noncompliance remedy program, including the manufacture’s plan for
reimbursement.: Cummins Inc. has reported completion of the affected DTNA field vehicles . Per
NHTSA 20E-003, the remedy was to “install a cable tie around the connector body, routed under the
connector locking tab, forcing it into locked position so that it cannot unplug.”
Identify the Recall Schedule
Describe the recall schedule for notifications.: Per Cummins' Quarterly Report, the affected vehicles
in the field were reported repaired, therefore, DTNA will not be providing customer notifications related
to this recall.
Planned Dealer Notification Begin Date: N/A
Planned Dealer Notification End Date: N/A
Planned Owner Notification Begin Date: N/A
Planned Owner Notification End Date: N/A
Manufacture’s identification code for this recall (if applicable): FL-850
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
1 Affected Product
|FREIGHTLINER||BUSINESS CLASS M2||2019|
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Miscellaneous Document- 573 Defect Information Report
Miscellaneous Document- Repair Update
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
Heavy Duty Commercial Truck Reprogramming
|USB-Link 2 (Wi-Fi)|
Product Number USBLINK2WF
NEXIQ Technologies Vehicle Interface Utility
The USB-Link 2, the next generation vehicle interface from NEXIQ Technologies, has arrived.
Dependable and rugged, the new USB-Link 2 is five times faster than its predecessor. It has sixteen times more random access memory than the old USB-Link, and it supports heavier bus loads on simultaneous channels. For even more reliability, we’ve upgraded the USB connector to a more robust, automotive grade connector with a latching mechanism. The USB-Link 2 is compatible with a wide range of OEM software applications.
Vehicle Network Protocol Support
- CAN / J1939 / ISO15765 – 250K, 500 K, 1M b/s with Auto Baud detection (3 channels)
- Single wire CAN (SWCAN)
- ISO 11898-3 Fault Tolerant CAN (FTCAN)
- J1850 VPW (Class 2)
- J1850 PWM (SCP)
- ISO 9141 / KWP2000 (ISO 14230) K/L line
- ALDL 9600 and 8192 baud
- ATEC 160 baud
Operating System Support
- Windows Vehicle Communication API
- RP1210 a/b/c
- J2534 (2004 draft)
- J2534-1 partial implementation (commercial vehicle-focused)
- PC Operating System Compatibility
- Windows XP SP3
- Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows 8 (32 & 64 bit)
- Interfaces to Computing Platforms
- USB 2.0
- Wi-Fi (dual band)
Nexiq USB-Link 2 Kit Includes:
- NEXIQ USB-Link 2
- 6-pin/9-pin Deutsch adapter
- Latching USB cable
|Nexiq Blue-Link Mini|
Product Number NQ126015
Nexiq Blue Link Mini™ Vehicle Communication Interface
Use Your Mobile Device To Make The Connection!
The Blue-Link Mini is not a supported device for use with DiagnosticLink. For complete details regarding DiagnosticLink, please login with your SSO ID.
The NEXIQ Blue-Link Mini enables you to use either your iOS or Android devices (e.g., smartphones or tablets) to communicate with heavy duty vehicles for quick access to basic diagnostic information. It plugs into the vehicle’s diagnostic connector, and provides wireless communication with on-board electronic control units.
If you are a driver, a service writer, or a service technician using the Blue-Link Mini as a triage tool, wireless vehicle communication was never easier.
NEXIQ Technologies is currently working with the American Trucking Association’s Technology and Maintenance Council (TMC) to develop a standardized communication protocol for mobile devices. This standard will make developing applications for the Blue-Link Mini a straightforward task.
- Small—fits in your pocket
- Wireless—no cables required
- Reliable Bluetooth communication
- Fast—lets you quickly gather a snapshot of vehicle statistics
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices (pairs easily with both)
- Integrated 9-pin Deutsch connector
- Simple, one-button design to put the device in Discovery mode
- When paired with an iOS or Android application (e.g., DTNA eLink), provides quick access to:
- Fault codes
- Basic parameters
- Vehicle specs
- Fuel level
Note: For more information on DTNA-eLink, see the Mobile App tab below.
Vehicle Network Protocol Support
- 3 CAN Channels (CAN / J1939 / SO15765 -250K, 500K, 1Mb/s with Auto Baud detection)
For Detroit PSL:
DiagnosticLink Order Site:
DiagnosticLink Direct Link:
DiagnosticLink Through Access Freightliner:
- [HEAVY-DUTY VEHICLE DIAGNOSTICS] - Read, diagnose and clear HD standard trouble codes on heavy-duty Class 4 - 8 vehicles with on screen text in English, Spanish, or French
- [FULL COLOR DISPLAY] - Brilliant color display shows code descriptions and definitions, graphs live data MIDS/PIDS, and can record and playback data streams
- [QUICK TEST] - 'Quick Test' pulls Global OBD II codes for data analysis and diagnosis
- [COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE] - Meets SAE standards for HD J1587/J1708 and J1939 CAN and includes engine (gas and diesel), transmission and ABS coverage
- [VERSATILITY] - Works on 12V and 24V systems to cover most medium and heavy-duty vehicles in North America; Internet updateable for new and expanded vehicle coverage
- ➤【Support Multiple Systems】----Engine, Transmission, Instrument Panel, Drivetrain, Braking System, Suspension, ABS, ESP, EPS, Fuel System and etc. You can get real time data related to system and do some repair by yourself using this truck tool, which will save much time and money.
- ➤【Wide Converage】----It is a 2 in 1 Trucks & Car Diagnositc Tools，which support all heavy duty trucks(J1587, J1939 and J1708) and all OBD2 standard protocols. Not only can work on Freightliner, Kenworth, Mack, International, Sterling, Paccar, Peterbilt, Caterpillar, Western Star, Mercedes-Benz, Man, Scania, VOLVO, Renault, Erf, Foden, Seddon-Atikinson, Daf, Sisu, Steyr, ISUZU, Hino and more diesel trucks; but also can support all cars, mini vans and light duty vehicles after 1996
- ➤【Battery Power Monitor + One Key Help】----If the battery voltage is less than 11. 8v, it shows you start engine over to 1500rpm and charge the battery, if it is less than 10. 8v, show stop the testing and check the battery. As for "?" Button, please press "?" button directly when a question mark "?" show on the screen, you will get the explanation.
- ➤【HD OBD+OBDII Diagnosing】----It can Read /Clear codes, View live data in a text or graphic format for trucks. Like other Proffesional codes reader, it can read codes, erase codes, I/M Readness, Live data, EVAP Test, O2 sensor Test. . . etc for cars. We provide two years , so it is no risk to purchase it.
- ➤【WIN IN THE DETAILS】 ----The NL102 scanner comes with new UI, new processor and new software, aims at providing you the best diagnostic experience. One-key update,2.8”TFT color screen and languages will make you fall in love with it instantly. The response and operating speed increased by 60% at the same time. This durable tool is ruggedly built, perfect for both shop and road tests. It can be used directly out of the box.
- 【HDOBD+OBDII】 LAUNCH CR-HD professional heavy duty truck scan tool will work on J1587, J1708 and J1939 Protocols trucks. Covers class 4 (14,001 lbs) through class 8 (33,000 lbs and over) heavy duty trucks.It does not only work on heavy duty trucks, but also work on 1996 US-Based, 2000 EU-Based and 2005 Asian-based cars,light duty trucks (12V only) and newer OBD II & CAN domestic or import vehicles.
- 【Multisystem Diagnostics】This HDOBD truck code reader will read or clear fault codes on engine, transmission, brake, instrument panel, vehicle management, fuel system, cab climate and particulate control unit, show the live data in text and graph.
- 【Wide Coverage】For Freightliner,Kenworth,Mack,International,Sterling,Paccar,Peterbilt,Caterpillar,Western Star after 2006,For Mercedez-Benz,MAN,Scania,Volvo,Renault,ERF,Foden,Seddon-Atikinson,Iveco,DAF,Sisu, Steyr, Isuzu,Hino after 2012, and all Cars /min vans / light duty from 1996.
- 【Fast and Accuracy】Rapidly communicates to the cars or heavy duty trucks, reads monitor status and identify OBD II communication protocol in 5 seconds. Instantly read and clear error codes,displays the codes definition on the screen,shows data stream and freeze fame,does O2/EVAP/On-board system test.
- 【Humanized Design】Applied 2.8" color LCD with friendly interface,help you more intuitive and better diagnosis. Equipped with 6PIN, 9PIN, and 16PIN diagnostic connectors, which can provide highest quality, most efficient, and most professional diagnostic service.
- ALL FUNCTIONS IN YOUR HAND-This truck scanner is capable of reading and clearing trouble codes of all major systems of truck , including engine, airbag, transmission,ECU/BCU,VCS,ABS,SRS,EBS,DCU,AT, cluth system/brake system/meter system/battery system/inverter system/hybrid system/immobilizer system,ect. Special Functions perform various component adaptations of the control module under test, allowing you to calibrate or configure certain components after making repairs or replacements.
- ADVANCED FEATURES FOR TRUCK-Graph live data :Engine speed,Engine ECU temperature,Percent acceleration pedal position,Engine intercooler temperature,Engine coolant temperature,Battery voltage,Alternator voltage,Ambient air temperature,Air inlet temperature,Set measurement units in SAE English/Metric.,Internet upgrade,General Functions :Read ECU Information,Read and Erase Fault codes,Read Live Data,Read Freeze Frame,Graph Live Data,Screenshot Function.
- EXTENSIVE APPLICATION-HD Trucks: for Freightliner, for Fuso, for GMC,for Hino, International, for Isuzu, for Iveco, for Kenworth, for Mack, for Mercedes, for Nissian UD,Peterbilt, Sterling, for Western Star, for Volvo,for Allison, for Bendix, for Eaton, for Wabco, for ZF,ect.and all Cars/min vans/light duty from 1996.F506 code reader can be also used as a universal OBD II code reader for reading and erasing codes on other brands cars' OBD System.
- STRONG COMPATIBILITY-Works on most truck with J1708 and J1939 plus OBD2 automotive coverage, and covers Hino, Mishubishi Fuso, Isuzu and Nissan UD commercial vehicles. since 1992 Supports SAE J1850PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, IS0 14230-4, IS0 9141-2,IS0 15765-4, SAE J1708, SAE J1939, OBDII Scan and diagnose fault codes with code defination in the engine, transmission, ABS brake and instrument cluster or body control.
- WIN IN THE DETAILS-The F506 obd2 scanner comes with new UI, new processor and new software, aims at providing you the best diagnostic experience. One-key update, 3.5”TFT color screen and languages will make you fall in love with it instantly. The response and operating speed increased by 60% at the same time. This durable tool is ruggedly built, perfect for both shop and road tests. It can be used directly out of the box.
- 【UPGRADED VERSION OF CRP129】: This scan tool is built with a larger 5” touchable HD 720P screen and keypad design for better operation,there are 2 more reset services (TPMS & Throttle Body Reset) compared with CRP129, AutoVIN and automatic printable Inspection report help you get diagnostic information efficiently and effectively
- 【FOUR SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS+ BATTERY VOLTAGE TEST】: This diagnostic obd2 scanner works for Engine, Transmission, ABS and SRS diagnoses, thus reading/clearing diagnostic trouble codes, showing live data stream, turning off the warning light related, besides,with the battery voltage test, you are able to monitor the battery voltage timely
- 【5 RESET SERVICES + AUTOMATIC AUTOVIN SCAN】: This code reader covers 5 most commonly used special reset functions including OIL/EPB/SAS/TPMS reset, and Throttle Adaptation to maintain your vehicle systems safely and efficiently, with the Automatic Autovin Scan, you may easily get the VIN
- 【FULL OBD2 COMPLIANCY + DATA RECORD & PLAYBACK】: This diagnostic tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII functions such as I/M Readiness Status, Live Data Graphing, MIL turn-off, etc., and works on most vehicles after 1996 compliant with OBD2 protocols , more than 57 brands. Data record,playback and printable Inspection report (share via email) make diagnostic information easily at your hands
- 【Mechanics with 40 years of experience Highly Recommended 】: This diagnostic automotive scanner perfectly fits for mechanics, work shop or individual users, it comes with the 5 years warranty for any quality problem. One-click WiFi free updates on internet for lifetime along with multilingual support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, etc.,
- ❤ OBD2 6pin+9Pin diesel truck diagnostic cable.This cable is compatible with many of OBD diagnostic tools and connect GPS
- ❤ 6+9Pin Heavy Duty Diesel OBD Truck diagnostic cable is in 6Pin+9pin Male(J1978+J1739) to OBD2 16Pin Female. This OBD 6pin+9pin truck cable is ok for most heavy duty truck,bus,trailer...etc.
- ❤ OBD-II 6+9pin Heavy Duty Diesel Truck cable is used for connecting your OBDII diagnostic tools to heavy duty truck with J1708 6Pin and J1939 9Pin socket. Provides power, ground, CAN/J1939 and J1708/J1587 data found on factory 9 Pin connector.
- ❤ Tips:Please make sure your diagnostic device or scanner must have 16 pin MALE plug and MUST be able to read J1708 or CAN/J1939 and detailed (PINOUT) in picture above. Thanks.
- ❤ Quality:Cables tested in 100%.If anything, please contact with us priority. Thanks.
- Packed with top-notch features such as reading and erasing generic codes on engine, transmission, body controller, chassis control, cruise control, ABS, instrument cluster, etc. Displaying DTCs definition, showing live data, vehicle information and ECU information.
- Detailed Vehicle Information is able to be get, such as: Engine Speed, Total Idle Hours/ Fuel Used, Average Fuel Economy, Total Vehicle hours, Total Vehicle Distance, Total PTO Hours, Total Engine Revolutions, and so on.
- A a great deal for class 8 diesel trucks and engines whoever are supported by J1939 or J1587/J1708. Covers most ECU like Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar, Freightliner, International, Kenworth, John Deere, Peterbilt, Sterling, Mack, Mecedes Benz, VOLVO, etc.
- Powered supply afforded directly by vehicles, comes with both a 6-pin and a 9-pin cable for maximum vehicle compatibility, and a micro USB cahle for update via the Internet.
- We stand behind KYZEE products 100% and guarantee 2 YEARS warranty and support life-time free software update. （Attention, it CAN NOT be updated on MAC SYSTEM !!!）Anything occurs, feel free to contact us, all messages will be replied within 24 hrs
- VIDENT iEasy320HD is specially developed for heavy duty vehicles(Diesel) and passenger cars(Gasoline or Petrol), which enables users to read DTCs, clear DTCs and view the datastream with a live color graphing. It covers a wide range of vehicles since it offers multiple data bus protocols, such as J1587, J1939, J1850VPW, J1850PWM, ISO9141, KWP2000(ISO14230-4) and CAN(Control Area Network ISO15765-4).
- Multiple Systems: Engine,Transmission, Instrument Panel, Drivetrain, Braking System, Suspension, ABS, ESP, EPS, Fuel System and etc. You can get real time data related to system and do some repair by yourself using this truck tool, which will save much time and money.
- Wide Coverage: iEasy320HD is a 2 in 1 heavy duty trucks & cars diagnostic scan tool, which cover all vehicle 1996 and newer. Not only can work on Freightliner, Kenworth, Mack, International, Sterling, Paccar, Peterbilt, Caterpillar, Western Star, Mercedes-Benz, Man, Scania, VOLVO, Renault, Erf, Foden, Seddon-Atikinson, Daf, Sisu, Steyr, ISUZU, Hino and more diesel HD trucks, but also can support all cars, mini vans and light duty vehicles.
- I/M Readiness(Smog Check): Red-Yellow-Green LEDs and build-in speaker indicate emissions monitor status. Clearly shows whether the emission-related systems are operating properly or ready for inspection and maintenance testing, turns off the MIL(check engine light) and resets monitors; views freeze frame data, read live PCM data stream, EVAP system test data, On-Board Monitor test data and display live O2 sensor test data. They can also help catch intermittent problems or confirm repairs during
- Multiple Language: Support English, French, German, Spanish & Russian. Lifetime free software upgrade.
- NL102PLUS HEAVY DUTY diagnostic scanner from NEXAS supports all heavy duty trucks in compliance with standard protocols ( J1587，J1939 and J1708 Class 4- class 8 trucks). And also engine check diagnostic for all passenger cars & light duty vehicles from 1996 on.
- Trucks appliance: for Cummings, for Detroit, for Maxxforce, for Caterpillar, for Freightliner, for International, for Kenworth, for John Deere, for Peterbilt, for Sterling, for Mack, for Paccar, for Westernstar, for Mecedes Benz, for Volvo, for Scania, for Man, for Renault, for ERF, for Foden, for Seddon-Atkinson, for Iveco, for DAF, for SISU, for STEYR, for ISUZU; and all Cars /min vans / light duty from 1996.
- DPF Regeneration And Oil Service Reset: Force DPF regen for Cummings, Detroit, Maxxforce, ISUZU, and HINO from 2010 till now . Oil service reset for Cummings, Detroit, Maxxforce from 2010 till now . (Note: Water Temperature is higher than 80 Degree and engine at idle speed for at least 10 minutes. )
- Supported Truck Systems: engine, transmission, instrument panel, drivetrain, braking system, suspension, ABS, ESP, EPS, fuel system and more, which are in compliance with J1939, J1708 and J1587 protocols. Generally for American HD trucks ( Class4-Class8) are from 2006 on.
- FREE UPDATE & EXCELLENT SERVICE----2. 8 inch TFT color screen design and user friendly software interface guide you to operate it as easy as pie. We provide one year & lifetime free software online update and professional service team for your any questions within 24 hours.
- ✔ The diagnostic scanner supports all heavy duty trucks in compliance with standard protocols ( J1587,J1939 and J1708 Class 4- class 8 trucks). And also engine check diagnostic for all passenger cars & light duty vehicles from 1996 on.
- ✔ Trucks appliance: for Cummings, Detroit, Maxxforce, Caterpillar, Freightliner, International, Kenworth, John Deere, Peterbilt, Sterling, Mack, Paccar, Westernstar, Mecedes Benz, Volvo, Scania, Man, Renault, ERF, Foden, Seddon-Atkinson, Iveco, DAF, SISU, STEYR, ISUZU and all Cars /min vans / light duty from 1996.
- ✔ DPF Regeneration And Oil Service Reset: Force DPF regen for Cummings, Detroit, Maxxforce, ISUZU, and HINO from 2010 till now . Oil service reset for Cummings, Detroit, Maxxforce from 2010 till now . (Note: Water Temperature is higher than 80 Degree and engine at idle speed for at least 10 minutes. )
- ✔ Supported Truck Systems: engine, transmission, instrument panel, drivetrain, braking system, suspension, ABS, ESP, EPS, fuel system and more, which are in compliance with J1939, J1708 and J1587 protocols. Generally for American HD trucks ( Class4-Class8) are from 2006 on.
- ✔ FREE UPDATE & EXCELLENT SERVICE----2. 8 inch TFT color screen design and user friendly software interface guide you to operate it as easy as pie. We provide one year & lifetime free software online update and professional service team for your any questions within 24 hours.
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API