March 4, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V130000
An electrical short circuit can increase the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V130
Manufacturer PACCAR Incorporated
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 35,671
PACCAR Incorporated (PACCAR) is recalling certain 2015-2020 Peterbilt 365, 389, 567, and 579 vehicles equipped with a left-hand under hood jumper terminal (option code 2539410). The positive battery jumper terminal cable may be too long, allowing it to chafe against the left front suspension spring and result in an electrical short circuit.
PACCAR will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the battery jumper terminal cables, and replace them as necessary, free of charge. The recall began April 30, 2020. Owners may contact PACCAR customer service at 1-940-591-4220. PACCAR's number for this recall is 20PBA.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
May 4, 2020
Safety Recall - 20PBA Left-hand Underhood Jumper Teminal Battery Cables
NHTSA # - 20V130
EXPIRATION DATE: NONE
This notice applies to your vehicle. Your VIN(s) can be found on the bottom or back of this page.
Dear Peterbilt Customer,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
|What is the problem?||Underhood jumper terminal battery cables may be too long.|
|What will your dealer do?||Inspect your vehicle for cable interference or chafing, and if needed, tie the cables to prevent chafing or replace the cables.|
|What should you do?||Please contact your Peterbilt dealer to schedule an appointment for these services.|
Peterbilt has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, may exist in certain Model 365, 389, 567, and 579 vehicles manufactured between April 18, 2014 and March 09, 2020 with a left-hand under hood jumper start terminal. Your vehicle may have jumper terminal battery cables that are too long, or are eligible for improved routing. Battery cables that are too long may chafe against the left front suspension leaf spring, which could cause a short circuit, fire under the hood, or increased risk of crash.
Peterbilt Motors Company has initiated this recall to remedy the defect immediately at no charge to you. Please contact your Peterbilt dealer to schedule an appointment for these services. To find your Peterbilt dealer, please visit the Dealer Locator at www.Peterbilt.com or scan the QR code. When contacting your Peterbilt dealer, reference the Safety Recall number 20PBA and the NHTSA number 20V130. This repair may take up to 2.0 hours of labor depending on dealer scheduling.
If you had this repair performed before receiving this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. Receipts for parts and/or labor are required for consideration of reimbursement.
If you require further information about this recall, reimbursement of a pre-notification remedy associated with this recall, or experience any difficulty in making arrangements for this repair, please contact: Peterbilt Motors Company, 1700 Woodbrook St, Denton, TX 76205, Attn: Customer Services Department, phone 940-591-4220.
If you conclude that Peterbilt has not enabled you to remedy this defect in a reasonable time and without charge, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days. If you no longer own this vehicle, we would appreciate your advising us of the new owner's name.
We apologize for any inconvenience this preventive procedure may cause and thank you for your participation in helping Peterbilt provide the highest levels of customer satisfaction and service expertise. We value your business and appreciate your ongoing loyalty to Peterbilt and its dealer network. Industry-leading quality, performance and reliability are hallmarks of Peterbilt products, and we thank you for making Peterbilt your truck of choice. Sincerely,
Director of Customer Service Peterbilt Motors Company
24 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20V130-5829
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-3
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V130-0211
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-2
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Heavy Duty: a set 5 gauge wire positive (red) and negative (black) copper battery cables, 20 inch for every cable.
- Easy to Use: each cable have 2 pcs 3/8" (M10) round center hole terminals (already crimped) on both ends, fit for 3/8" (M10) stud.
- High Quality: copper cables for maximum power transfer, nickel plated copper lugs for superior corrosion and oxidation resistance.
- Safe & Durable: premium PVC insulated jacket for the cables, cable ends are sealed with heat shrink tubing for heat insulation.
- Compatible: used for car, vehicle, RV, solar application, boat and more, also used for electrical equipment.
- Copper cables for maximum power transfer. The Maximum operating current is 95A.Each cable has 2 pcs 5/16" round center hole terminals (already crimped) on both ends.
- Used for car, vehicle, RV, solar application, boat, and more,Solar panel, battery to inverter, also used for electrical equipment.
- Cable is SAE J1127 compliant and rated for up to 750 volts from -50°C to +105°C.Pure copper cable lugs are tinned coated and utilize a closed end design for corrosion protection.
- Polyolefin heat shrink tubing applied to form a protective seal.
- Delivery from the United States, fast logistics, guaranteed after-sales!
- TRUE 12 US TON Capacity. Forged instead of Cast Crimping Head Frame ensures repeatable performance.
- Black Oxide Crimp Head & Dies won't chip or flake.
- Designed for 4 Gauge through 750 MCM (25mm² to 400mm²). Includes 12 Die Sets.
- For all battery and welding cable, building wiring, crimp terminal lugs (including heavy cast lugs)
- 5 Year Warranty from a well-known American name. NON-GENERIC
- 【2 CABLES】This 6awg 20 inches battery cables contain one positive (Red) and one negative (Black) power inverter cables. 3/8” ring at each end. The Maximum operating current is 59.9A
- 【UL LISTED】Our cables are UL listed. UL testing makes sure that wire sizes are correct or devices can handle the amount of current they claim to be able to. They also ensure that products are constructed correctly for the highest safety
- 【TINNED COPPER】Tin-plated copper has good stability, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, which improves the oxidation resistance of copper and maintains its conductivity better
- 【PVC INSULATED JACKET】Flexible PVC insulation of battery cables resists abrasion, waterproof and moisture proof, flame retardant and heat insulation, and withstands the rigors of an automotive or marine environment
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】The 6 gauge positive and negative cables are ideal for car automotive, solar, marine, RV, motorcycle, golf cart, lawn/garden equipment or power inverter batteries
- Crimper with high precision jaw ensure a tightly connection after crimping with strong work pressure. This tool has widely application in automatic electronics work.
- The professional cable terminal crimping tool has 6mm²/10mm²16mm²/25mm²/35mm²/50mm² (Similar to AWG 8，6，4，2，1/0) wire size crimping, using rotating heads with a spring loaded locking pin to keep the heads in place.
- Press the screw and rotate the dies to the size you need, then just take a strong pull of the ratcheting wire terminal crimper then produce a good crimp on cable lugs.
- The handle of the wire crimper is long for 10 inch and wrapped with soft rubber, ergonomic lever structure design can increase friction and help you use less effort when crimping.
- The crimper set contains 20PCS ring terminal connectors(AWG8-5/16,AWG6-5/16,AWG6-3/8,AWG4-5/16,AWG4-3/8) save your time and money to buy other connetors.
- Universal Negative Positive Auto Battery Cable Terminal Top Post For Cars and Truck
- Production Years : 2000-2021. / For sale : 1 Red (+) 1 Black (-) terminal
- The battery terminal between your car's battery and your car's ignition system is important. 100% brand new and high quality.
- Battery terminal clamp for car battery. Adjustable the output gauge by the screw.
- A replacement part easily installed. Fit for most car, boat, van battery.
- Professional, premium aftermarket replacement
- Provides the performance and dependability you expect from ACDelco
- Manufactured to meet expectations for fit, form, and function
- Dieless indent crimper for lugs (AWG: 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, MCM: 250, 300, 350, 400)
- Dieless design adjusts quickly to the full range of terminal sizes and can be used with all crimp terminal lugs, including heavy cast lugs.
- Handles extends up to 8 inches longer for additional leverage when needed.
- Forged crimping head for tough demands of crimping Battery & Welder cables, Construction Wiring and more. Black oxide coating on crimp jaws will not chip or flake.
- TEMCo Industrial's 1 year no-questions-asked free return policy and 5 year warranty.
- TERMINAL END REPLACEMENT: Easily replace your boat battery’s terminal ends with high performance sensitivity
- ZINC PLATED: Coated in zinc for easy handling and added durability
- EXCELLENT CONDUCTIVITY: Performs 3x faster than other terminal ends
- EASY FIT: Fits 3/8 inch and 5/16 inch posts; imprinted sizes for easy identification
- COMPLETE SET: Includes 2 terminal end attachments
- Package includes: you will get 170 pieces copper ring lugs terminals in 12 AWG, 20 pieces for SC4-6, 20 pieces for SC4-4, 20 pieces for SC6-8, 20 pieces for SC6-6, 20 pieces for SC10-6, 20 pieces for SC10-8, 5 pieces for SC16-10, 10 pieces for SC16-8, 10 pieces for SC16-6, 5 pieces for SC25-10, 10 pieces SC25-8 and 10 pieces for SC25-6
- Quality material: these lug battery terminals are made of quality copper, which are durable and strong, have nice electrical conductivity, heat resistance and corrosion resistance, will serve you for a long time
- Nice performance: the closed design of these copper terminal connectors seal out the moisture, and the temperature durability prevent deforming, ensure the safety of use; The common sizes of the copper connectors are convenient for use, which improve your work efficiency
- Convenient for organizing: each bare copper lug is engraved with its wire gauge identification, easy for you to quick reorganize; You can throw these kit in your toolbox and not have to worry about sizes getting mixed together
- Multiple use: these copper battery terminal ends are suitable for solar panels, distribution box, marine, vehicle, motorcycle, boat, trolling motors wiring, and other household appliances, such as power distribution cabinets, automobiles, electrical industry, etc.
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API