February 2, 2018
In the event of a fire, if the fire extinguisher does not function properly, it can increase the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V093
Manufacturer Triple E Recreational Vehicles
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,159
Triple E Recreational Vehicles (Triple E) is recalling certain 2002-2009 Invitation and Embassy recreational vehicles, 2002-2012 Regency, Regal, Senator and Topaz recreational vehicles, 2002-2010 Signature, Commander and Empress recreational vehicles, 2005-2013 Regency GT recreational vehicles, 2011-2013 MOT Trailers, 2012 Roughneck trailers (NT300), 2008-2013 Free Flight, Serenity (S24CB), Liberio (L24CB)and Free Spirit recreational vehicles and 2010-2013 Unity recreational vehicles. These motorhomes are equipped with Kidde Plastic-Handle or Push Button 'Pindicator' Fire Extinguishers that may become clogged, preventing the extinguisher from discharging as expected or requiring excessive force to activate the extinguisher. Additionally, in certain models, the nozzle may detach from the valve assembly with enough force that it could cause injury and also render the product inoperable. For a full list of the affected fire extinguisher models visit: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RMISC-17E062-5427.pdf
Triple E will notify owners, instructing them to contact Kidde for a replacement fire extinguisher, free of charge. The recall began on February 28, 2018. Owners may contact Kidde customer service at 1-855-262-3540 or online at www.kidde.com and click on "Product Safety Recall" for more information. Triple E's number for this recall is CA#8894-1.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is Kidde recalling products?
A: We are recalling certain Kidde fire extinguishers due to a potential safety issue. As consumer safety is our priority, we are working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada to notify customers with instructions for returning the affected models and how to replace them with different, unaffected models.
Q: How can I find out if my fire extinguisher is included in the recall?
A: Please contact us at (855) 233-2882 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday (excluding holidays), or between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the weekend to determine whether your extinguishers are affected. Alternatively, detailed information about which products are included is available below.
Q: How do I get a replacement?
A: Please contact us at (855) 233-2882 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday (excluding holidays), or between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the weekend to determine whether your extinguishers are affected
If it is determined that you do have an affected fire extinguisher, a replacement will be shipped within approximately 10 to 15 business days from this call. Please keep your affected unit until the replacement arrives.
Please note, if your model is used with a personal watercraft, Kidde does not currently have an exact replacement for it, but is prepared to offer you a replacement extinguisher which is both US Coast Guard rated, and is similar in size. While it may not fit in the same location as the extinguisher that you currently have, there may be another space on your watercraft in which you can store this extinguisher.
Q: Do I need a receipt? How do I demonstrate my eligibility for a replacement?
A: No proof of purchase is required. Please supply the model number, year of manufacture, the unit's date code and serial number. Additional information may also be requested. You can find the model number and serial number on the unit's label.
Q: If I have an affected unit, what should I do with it?
A: Please retain your existing extinguisher(s) until your replacement(s) has been received. Upon receipt of your new fire extinguisher(s) you will find instructions for returning the recalled unit(s).
Q: Which fire extinguishers are being recalled?
Plastic handle fire extinguishers: The recall involves 23 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973, and August 15, 2017, including some models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and in February 2015. The extinguishers were sold in red, white and silver, and are either ABC- or BC-rated. Models are as follows:
|Plastic handle models produced between January 1, 1973 and October 25, 2015|
|46-0004-4||Fire Away IAIOBC French||Fuller Canada TPS-I IAIOBC|
|46-0066-6||Fire Away A40BC French||Fuller Canada TPS-2 2A40BC|
|E 340||Fire Away Canada F-1O IOBC||FX210R|
|E-340-3||Fire Away Canada F-110 IAIOBC||Kidde Canada TPS-1 2AIOBC|
|Fire Away 10BC F renoh||Fire Away Canada F-240 2A40BC||Kidde Canada TPS-1 2A40BC|
|Plastic handle models with date codes between January 2, 2012 and August 15, 2017|
|46-0092-2||EIOH||FULL HOME 110|
Push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers: The recall involves six models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured from August 11, 1995, through September 22, 2017. The no-gauge push-button extinguishers were sold in white and red and with a red or black nozzle. These models were sold primarily for kitchen and personal water craft applications. Models are as follows:
|Push-button Pindicator models produced between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017|
|210D ULC||FF 210D AUTO||M5P|
128 Affected Products
|TRIPLE E RV||COMMANDER||2002-2010|
|TRIPLE E RV||EMBASSY||2002-2009|
|TRIPLE E RV||EMPRESS||2002-2010|
|TRIPLE E RV||FREE FLIGHT||2008-2013|
|TRIPLE E RV||FREE SPIRIT||2008-2013|
|TRIPLE E RV||INVITATION||2002-2009|
|TRIPLE E RV||MOT||2011-2013|
|TRIPLE E RV||REGAL||2002-2012|
|TRIPLE E RV||REGENCY||2002-2012|
|TRIPLE E RV||REGENCY GT||2005-2013|
|TRIPLE E RV||ROUGHNECK||2012|
|TRIPLE E RV||SENATOR||2002-2012|
|TRIPLE E RV||SIGNATURE||2002-2010|
|TRIPLE E RV||TOPAZ||2002-2012|
7 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report- Report #1, 2018-1
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 1
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- First Alert's HOME1 Fire Extinguisher is UL rated 1-A: 10-B:C; it features durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and trigger to meet demanding needs
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical-equipment fires
- First Alert’s Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher can be recharged by a certified professional after use, allowing for reuse.
- Metal pull pin with a safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge and tampering; corrosion-resistant, easy-to-read, color-coded metal gauge; waterproof label with easy instructions
- U.S. Coast Guard–approved for marine use
- The First Alert HOME2PRO Fire Extinguisher is UL rated 2-A: 10-B: C and meets minimum 2-A: 10-B: C code requirements; it features durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and trigger
- Heavy-duty fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical-equipment fires; ideal for offices, homes, and workshops
- Uses monoammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- Includes mounting bracket and easy-to-read, color-coded, corrosion-resistant pressure gauge
- 12-year limited
- Use to fight common fires in the home, including those involving fabrics, plastics, wood, flammable liquids and electrical equipment.
- Dry chemical composition is made of monoammonium phosphate Powder-coated cylinder fights corrosion.
- Easy-to-read pressure gauge. USCG- and DOT-approved design. UL-rated 1-A, 10-B:C
- Includes 2 fire extinguishers and instruction label. Warranty: 6 years limited
- Experts recommend at least 1 fire extinguisher for every 600 sq. ft. of living space
- 2 PACK
- 2A 10BC Rating
- All-Metal Valve Construction
- Dependable Drawn-Steel Cylinders
- Temperature Range -65°F to 120°F
- The First Alert EZ Fire Spray Portable Fire Extinguisher discharges 4 times longer than a traditional fire extinguisher, providing 32 seconds of firefighting time
- Light aerosol can is easy to hold, carry, and use; ideal for kitchen, garage, boat, RV, dorm, and more
- Extinguishes paper, fabric, wood, grease, and electrical fires
- Formula is biodegradable and nontoxic and wipes clean
- 3-year limited warranty; ETL rated
- Multipurpose protection: Fights Class A, B, and C fires and is UL rated 2-A:10-B:C
- Easy to read: Gauge tells you when fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use
- Light weight: Durable, corrosion resistant aluminum cylinder
- Clear instruction label: Shows the steps required to operate the extinguisher
- Quick and powerful: Discharge time of 13 to 15 seconds, a discharge range of 10 to 15 feet, and an operating pressure of 100 PSI
Last update on 2021-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API