October 17, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19C002000
Without the safety warnings and instructions, caregivers may not know the risks or how to properly use the child seat, increasing the risk of an injury in the event of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19C002
Manufacturer Dorel China America, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 28,800
Dorel China America, Inc. (DCA) is recalling certain Babidéal Storm Booster Car Seats, model BC901BPXL, sold exclusively at Family Dollar Stores. The label attached to the fabric cover may not have the required safety warnings and instructions. As such, these child seats fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 213, "Child Restraint Systems."
DCA will notify the registered owners, and will provide a replacement fabric cover that has a compliant warning label in place, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 9, 2019. Owners may contact DCA customer service at 1-877-657-9546 or text 1-812-373-6673.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
October 17, 2019
U.S. Department Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigations
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter serves as notification to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration by Dorel China America, Inc. (DCA) that a noncompliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 49 CFR 571.213 (FMVSS 213) S5.5 labeling requirements exists on certain babidéalTM Storm Booster Child Restraint Systems (CRS). DCA determined that this noncompliance existed on this motor vehicle equipment on October 9, 2019.
The babidéalTM Storm Booster CRS is a backless belt positioning booster CRS with a multi-colored triangle pattern textile cover. Intended for use by children 40-100 lbs. and 43"-57" in height. The recalled lot of products were sold exclusively at Family Dollar Stores in the United States. See product image below.
DCA has determined that 28,800 units of the babidéalTM Storm Booster CRS have been manufactured with a warning label that is not compliant with FMVSS 213. The recalled lot of products were sold exclusively at Family Dollar Stores in the U.S. and have the model number BC901BPXL with a date of manufacture of 2/28/2019.
Because the safety warnings and instructions required by FMVSS 213 are not provided, caregivers do not have the benefit of that information and could potentially use the CRS inappropriately. Another risk is that the caregiver will be confused by the warning language (which comes from ASTM F2640 for use on indoor booster seats such as might be used in a dining room), because the incorrectly provided warning language states "NEVER use this product as a car seat..." and "Do not use in motor vehicles." For those consumers who are continuing to use the booster seat in a motor vehicle, DCA confirms that the product will perform appropriately and as intended because it remains compliant with all other performance requirements ofFMVSS 213.
The contract manufacturer that produces the babidéalTM Storm Booster CRS for DCA was incorrectly provided warning label artwork that is noncompliant with FMVSS 213, which was then used in production on the specific lot being recalled. All other lots of the babidéalTM Storm Booster CRS were produced with a compliant warning label and were imported and sold using different model numbers to a different retailer.
See image below of the warning label location on the product.
The noncompliant label found on the recalled lot of products is shown in the image below.
The label that is present on all other lots of the babidéalTM Storm Booster CRS which complies with FMVSS 213 and will be present on the free replacement fabric pads which will be sent to owners and purchasers as the recall remedy is shown in the image below.
DCA has confirmed that there are currently no open orders for the babidéalTM Storm Booster at the contract manufacturer. DCA has requested the contract manufacturer to destroy all printed labels and artwork files for the noncompliant warning label. If new orders will be placed for the product in the future, DCA will confirm the compliant labels are used in production.
Family Dollar Stores were contacted by DCA to stop sale of all babidéalTM Storm Boosters in their possession on 10/16/2019.
In anticipation of NHTSA's immediate approval of the customer notification letter, DCA will begin the recall program as soon as the free replacement fabric covers with the compliant FMV SS 213 label are available. DCA anticipates sending the notification letter and free replacement fabric covers to registered owners no later than 12/9/2019.
Enclosed please find a copy of the letter sent to the retailer, Family Dollar Stores.
DoreISChiffii America, Inc.
2525 State Street
Columbus, IN 47201
October 16, 2019
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
Category Merchant — Baby and Routine Care
Dollar Tree / Family Dollar Stores
500 Volvo Parkway
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Dorel China America, Inc. (DCA) will shortly notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of a forthcoming voluntmy safety recall of the babidéalTM Storm Booster child restraint system manufactured on 2/28/2019 sold exclusively at Family Dollar retail stores. DCA discovered the warning label sewn on the fabric cover incorrectly depicts warnings for a child's feeding booster seat instead of the warning language required for automotive equipment child restraint system booster seats. There is the potential of increased risk of injury in the event of an accident because the required safety warnings for automotive equipment child restraint system booster seats were not available to the caregivers. DCA has received no reported incidents. Model Affected: babidéalTM Storm Booster BC901B-PXL.
We have already communicated with your office and have requested all current inventory of those units affected to be put on stop sale and placed on hold. We will be in touch with your office to make arrangements for a verified destruction plan for those affected in the near future. DCA will contact consumers who have registered with the affected model to receive a free repair kit which includes instructions and a new fabric cover. We are prepared to begin distributing the free repair kit in early December 2019. Consumers who have not registered their child restraint systems are encouraged to visit our website at www.babideal-us.com for more information.
If you have any affected products in your inventory that are not covered by the hold we placed, we request that you immediately take steps to ensure that none of them is sold to a consumer. It is a violation of federal law to self or deliver any of these products to consumers.
We value your business and appreciate your support and if you have any questions please contact me.
Dorel China America, Inc.
2525 State Street.
Columbus, IN 47201.
1 Affected Product
|BABIDEAL||STORM BOOSTER||02/28/2019 - 02/28/2019|
4 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - babideal Storm Booster_SAFETY RECALL NOTICE to Family Dollar - 10-16-2019
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
babideal Storm Booster 573_NHTSA LETTER - 10-17-2019
Latest Recalls Documents
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3 in 1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 40 pounds, Forward facing 22 to 65 pounds, and Belt positioning booster 40 to 100 pounds
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go's side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat. Rear facing height is 19 to 40 inches. Forward facing height is 29 to 52 inches
- QUICKFIT HARNESS: With the QuickFit Harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- WASH AND DRY: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; no fuss for truly easy cleaning
- All in One seat grows with your child from 5 100 pound, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space in your back seat with unique rotating cup holders. Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and cool water. Buckle may be cleaned with a damp cloth
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps while seat is a belt positioning booster
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the SlimFit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 point harness system; features EPS foam
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, one second LATCH attachment; 4 position recline helps keep your growing child comfy, in rear and forward facing modes
- Plush supports keep your child comfortable and are removable; washable seat cover is easy to access without removing the harness. Car seat depth is 16.25 inch. Car seat height is 25.5 inch. Car seat width inside is 19.75 inch
- 2-in-1 Booster - Forward-facing Harness (22-50lbs) converts to Belt-Positioning Booster (40-110lbs)
- Dual Cup Holders: Two built-in cup holders keep drinks and snacks within reach - allows driver to stay focused on the road
- Up-Front Harness Adjust: Central, front access to harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child's harness for an accurate, snug fit
- Shoulder Belt Guide: Automatically positions the vehicle belt in the proper position for your child
- Easy to Clean - Wipeable and machine-washable car seat pad removes for easy cleaning
- Side impact tested, Meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side impact test standard
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the Federal crash test standard. Rear facing fit tip is top of child head is at least 1 inch below the top of the child restraint seat back
- Multiple shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use. Age at least two years of age
- Upfront harness adjustment and buckle release allows easy and convenient adjusting
- Integrated body cushion gives added comfort to baby and an easily removable head pillow for older children
- 3 in 1 harness booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth; harness booster (22 65 pounds), high back booster (30 100 pounds), backless booster (40 100 pounds). Features the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, which adjusts your harness and headrest to 8 height positions, with no rethreading
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion; one hand, 5 position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child. Car Seat Depth 17.4 inches, Car Seat Width Outside 19 inches, Car Seat Height: 26.5 inches
- Engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the Nautilus 65 has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 point harness system
- Open loop belt guides properly position vehicle seat belt across child; seat pad, body support and harness covers are comfortable and machine washable. Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and cool water
- Dual cup holders help keep your child's drink close; lightweight, portable seat is ideal for busy, active parents
- This All-In-One Convertible Car Seat fitting children from 5-110 lbs. is the only car seat you'll ever need providing rear-facing, forward facing and booster capabilities
- The Symphony DLX helps protect rear facing infants from 5-40 lbs., forward facing toddlers from 22-65 lbs. and high back booster mode supports children 40-110 lbs.
- Easy to install in vehicles in only 60 seconds using Evenflo's exclusive, auto-retracting Sure LATCH connectors with no pulling necessary
- The 5-point Infinite Slide harness easily slides to adjust for an accurate fit every time which means easy in and out for your child.Evenflo's proprietary e3 Side Impact Protection significantly reduces side impact crash forces up to 50% through 3 layers of expanded zone protection
- Dimensions(inches): 19.5 High x 21.5 Wide x 28 Long
- 4-position extension panel provides 5" additional leg room; helps protect rear-facing infants from 4-50 lb. and forward-facing toddlers from 22-65 lb. with up to 50 lb. rear-racing to rear-face longer
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion; 10-position headrest adjusts easily for your growing child. 6-position recline helps keep your child comfy
- Engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US Standard FMVSS 213; Extend2Fit convertible car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built-in 5-point harness system
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, one-second LATCH attachment; easy-to-read level indicator for hassle-free installation; 6-position recline helps keep your child comfy
- Fuss Free Harness Storage to get baby in and out easily; integrated, dual cup holders help keep your child's drink close ; Seat pad is comfortable and machine-washable
- Extended use lets kids ride longer: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds and Forward-facing 22-50 pounds
- Side Impact Protection
- Seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe
- 5-point harness with up-front adjustment
- 6 harness heights and 3 buckle locations allow for the best fit for growing children
- 2 Modes of Use: Seat easily transitions from high back to no back booster Safety for Older Kids: Giving them the extra boost they need for proper vehicle belt fit
- 6 Position Height Adjustment: Easily adjust the height with one hand, offering a better fit for your child as they grow, Correct Positioning: The included belt clip facilitates correct vehicle belt positioning around your child's shoulder
- Dual, Integrated Cup Holders: 2 Cup holders are built into the seat, keeping drinks and snacks close and allowing the driver to stay focused on the road
- Easy To Clean: Removable seat pad is wipe able and machine-washable, Easy Vehicle to Vehicle: The lightweight booster is easy to move between vehicles, perfect for on-the-go families
- Cool Colors: Let your big kid express their individuality with a variety of fun colors and patterns. With backrest-44 to 57 inches and tops of the child’s ears are at or below the top of the booster seat headrest
- The Cosco finale DX 2-in-1 combination Booster Car seat features a five-point safety harness that converts to a belt-positioning booster seat as your child grows.
- Designed to fit 3 ACROSS in most vehicles - Great for growing families and car pools
- Lightweight and easy to move from car to car
- Deluxe fabric gives kids a comfy ride
- Dishwasher-safe cup holder detaches for use on either side of seat
Last update on 2019-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API