August 21, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V616000
Fracture of the axle beam can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V616
Manufacturer Mack Trucks, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 8
Mack Trucks, Inc. (Mack) is recalling certain 2015 Pinnacle (CXU) vehicles equipped with Meritor FF967 Non Drive Front Steer Axles. The axles missed the heat treating operation during manufacturing, reducing their strength and possibly causing the axle beams to fracture.
Mack will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the axles as necessary, free of charge. The recall began September 27, 2019. Owners may contact Mack customer service at 1-800-866-1177. Mack's number for this recall is SC0419.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Steer Axle, Replacement
SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION:
MACK Trucks has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain CXU trucks equipped with Meritor axles manufactured from June 2, 2014 to June 17, 2014. A total of 8 axles were improperly heat treated causing a nonconforming metallurgical micro-structure. The 8 axles are to be inspected for the heat code “CA” and the axle serial number. If both the heat code “CA” and the axle serial number are in the list on page 6 (Table 1), the axle will need to be inspected and/or replaced according to the inspection and replacement procedures outlined in this safety recall.
MACK Trucks has received no reports of personal injury as a result of this condition. Therefore, MACK considers this as a proactive measure to protect the public and MACK’s customers from the potential risk associated with this defect.
VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VIN):
The number of vehicles affected by this recall is 8 (USA).
Replacement parts are currently available and if needed will be provided by Meritor at no cost. The repair facilities should obtain replacement parts by contacting Meritor’s OnTrac Performance Plus Call Center by using any of the methods below:
- Meritor OnTrac Customer Call Center at 1-866-668-7221
- email [email protected]meritor.com, and inform OnTrac the axle was removed and is ready for shipment back to Meritor. OnTrac will arrange for part pickup.
|The Illustrations shown in this document are used for reference only and may differ slightly from the actual vehicle being serviced. However, the replacement procedure represented as accurately as possible.|
Decommissioning the Truck for Inspection or Repair:
- Secure the vehicle for service by parking on a flat and level surface, placing the transmission in neutral, applying the parking brake, turning the ignition key to the OFF position, and chocking the front wheels.
- Disconnect the cable from the battery’s negative (ground) terminal.
- Find and record the heat code stamped on the axle and the axle serial number located on the identification tag at the front/center of the steer axle. See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
|It may be necessary to clean paint and debris from the area in order to see the numbers.|
- Check for the following criteria to determine if the axle is affected.
- Forging Date Code = 14128
- Heat Code = CA
- Machining Date Code = 14214
- Check the axle serial number against the list on page 6 (Table 1) of this safety recall.
|If the axle meets ALL of this criteria: The axle will need to be replaced according to the Replacement Procedures in this technical bulletin. Before you begin service, first contact the Meritor OnTrac™ Customer Call Center at 866-668-7221 or email the center at [email protected]meritor.com. Use the pre-call worksheet at the back of this technical bulletin to collect required information. OnTrac will create a case number and send you the kit required for service.|
|If the axle does NOT meet ALL of this criteria: Follow the OEM’s program guidance to close out the program warranty claim. Note the heat code and axle serial number in the OEM claim comments. Return the vehicle to the owner.|
|Table 1. Axle Serial Number List|
|This procedure will require referencing MACK’s procedures for completion. Please acquire all needed references prior to starting the repair.|
|Most of the hardware in this procedure will be reused. Make sure to perform procedures in a clean, orderly manner to ensure easy installation.|
|Wear safe eye protection while removing the steer axle assembly.|
- Remove both front tire and wheel assemblies.
- Remove both front drums.
- Remove both front hubs.
- Disconnect the air line to the brake chamber.
- Disconnect the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) sensor.
- Remove both front brake assemblies.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut from the steering arm end of the drag link.
- Remove the drag link socket from the steering arm. Leave the socket intact on the drag link.
- Support the I-beam. Remove the U-bolt nuts and washers. Remove the U-bolts.
- Remove the I-beam. Keep the right and left caster shims and other suspensionhardware apart so they can be reinstalled on the same side they were originally located.
- Contact the Meritor OnTrac™ Customer Call Center at 866-668-7221 or email the center at [email protected]meritor.com. Inform OnTrac™ that the axle was removed and is ready for shipment back to Meritor. OnTrac™ will arrange for pickup.
- Place the new I-beam into position, ensuring that the metal tag is located toward the front of the vehicle. Reinstall the existing suspension components and shims on the side they were originally installed.
|Refer to the MACK’s service instructions for correct assembly procedures and specifications.|
- Reinstall the drag link. Tighten the nut to the MACK specification. Secure the nut with a cotter pin.
- Install both brake assemblies. Ensure they are oriented in the same position as the original. Tighten the fasteners to specification.
- Reconnect the ABS sensor cable.
- Reconnect the air line to the brake chamber.
- Install the hubs.
|Hub Installation Steps|
|A||Install the new wheel seal provided in the kit.|
|B||Measure and adjust the wheel end play. Refer to MACK’s recommended instructions for adjusting the wheel end play and final nut torque specifications for the clamping pack used. Measure end play using a dial indicator to achieve the correct end play setting. Record final end play settings.|
|C||Install the new hub cap gaskets provided in the kit.|
|D||Fill the hubs with MACK’s suggested lubricant. Check the lubricant level again prior to releasing the vehicle.|
- Install the drums.
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies according to MACK’s recommended instructions.
- Adjust the brakes.
- Grease the king pins and tie-rod ends.
- Using a jack, lift and remove the vehicle from the safety (jack) stands.
Commissioning the Truck for Operation:
- Connect the battery cable to the negative (ground) terminal.
- Start the engine, build the proper air system pressure, check for air leaks, and proper service/park brake operation.
- Remove the wheel chocks.
- Perform an alignment.
- Release the vehicle to the end user.
- Complete the MACK program claim submittal.
|This repair is covered by an authorized Safety Recall campaign. Reimbursement is obtained through the normal claim handling process.|
|Claim Type (used only when uploading from the Dealer Business System)||41|
|Vehicle repaired per instructions||1-Modified per instructions|
|Primary Labor Code (Steer Axle, Inspection)||6000-06-09-01|
|Labor Code (Steer Axle, Replacement)||6110-03-09-01|
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL SC0419
NHTSA RECALL # 19V-616
DEAR MACK TRUCK OWNER:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
|SAFETY DEFECT:||On certain trucks, the front steer axle beam may have been manufactured incorrectly and could break. This could result in a loss of steering control.|
|SAFETY RISK:||A loss of steering control could create a risk of a crash.|
|PRECAUTIONS YOU CAN TAKE:||There are no precautions you can take other than having your vehicle inspected and repaired if needed by a Mack Parts and Service Center.|
|TIME REQUIRED FOR THE REPAIR:||The time required to inspect and/or repair your vehicle is approximately 2 hours.|
|WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:||You should contact the nearest Mack Parts and Service Center and make an appointment. The dealer will inspect, and repair the axle beam as required at no charge to you.|
|NOTICE REGARDING LEASED VEHICLES:||If you are a Lessor of vehicles subject to this Notice, you have an obligation under Federal Law to provide a copy of this Notice to all Lessees within 10 days of your receipt of this Notice. Further, you must maintain a record, which identifies the Lessee(s) to whom you send a copy of this letter, the date you send this letter, and the Vehicle Identification Number(s) of the vehicle(s) that you have leased to that lessee. For purposes of this Notice, the term Lessor means: a person or entity that is the owner, as reflected on the vehicle’s title, of any five or more leased vehicles (as defined in CFR Section 577.4), as of the date of notification by the manufacturer of the existence of a safety-related defect or non-compliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard in one or more of the leased motor vehicles.|
|OWNER RECALL RESPONSE CARD:||The enclosed “Notice of Vehicle Recall” identifies your vehicle. If you no longer own the vehicle, please help us update our records by completing the “Vehicle Disposition Record” portion of the enclosed postage-free Notice of Mandatory Safety Campaign card and mailing it back to us.|
|ASSISTANCE/ COMPLAINTS:||If your vehicle has not been repaired within a reasonable time after delivering it to a Mack Parts and Service Center, please contact:|
You may also submit complaints to the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington DC 20590 or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1-888327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe that Mack has failed to remedy the defect without charge, or has failed to remedy the vehicle within 60 days of the owners first tender to obtain repair following the earliest time that parts are available.
|PRE NOTIFICATION REMEDIES:||If you have previously paid for repairs as a result of this issue, you may be entitled to recovery of those expenses.|
Submit copies of all documentation supporting your claim according to the rules specified in the “General Plan for Reimbursement of Prenotification Remedies” provided in this mailing.
We regret any inconvenience this may cause to your operation, but hope you will appreciate our sincere efforts to demonstrate Mack’s commitment to provide our customers with the best possible product.
MACK TRUCKS, INC.
Date: August 29, 2019
Description of Defect:
There are eight (8) 2015 Pinnacle model trucks in total that may have been manufactured with a Meritor Model FF967 Non-Drive Front Steer axle with incorrect heat treatment (Reference Meritor Safety related defect report 19E-049).
Models/ Model Years Affected:
Mack: 8 vehicles all US
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires dealers to ensure that all new and used vehicles are free of safety defects and comply with all relevant safety standards at the time of delivery to the consumer.
Dealers should make their personnel aware of the safety recall. In the event that a dealer has a vehicle included in the safety recall in their inventory to be sold, the condition must be corrected before releasing it to a customer.
- Vehicle list will be posted on the Trucks Dealer Portal August 29, 2019.
- Owner notification letters will be released on or before October 18, 2019.
1 Affected Product
9 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-1
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2020-2
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Wd-40 Specialist Superior Performance True Multi-Purpose Grease, 14 Oz
- Long-Lasting Corrosion Protection Extends The Life Of Your Equipment
- Outperforms In All 3 Features: Temperature, Pressure & Water Wash-Out From Independent Lab Test
- Formulated With Calcium Sulfonate (Obcs) Technology, It Is Interchangeable With Other Wd-40 Specialist Greases Without Compromising Performance Through Cross-Contamination
- Reliable At Temperatures Above 650° F, It Also Provides Marine-Grade Water Resistance And Protection Against Rust And Corrosion
- Lithium complex grease designed for multipurpose everyday applications
- Excellent grease for agriculture equipment, powersports equipment, automotive grease lube points, ball joints, bushings, chassis lubrication, electric motors, gears, plain bearings, presses, roller bearings, tie-rod ends, steering knuckles, trailers, hitch ball, universal joints, wheel bearings, winches
- Mechanics choice for automotive grease applications and truckers choice for fifth wheel (5th wheel) grease
- Superior water resistance, extreme pressure and high temperature protection suitable for scheduled maintenance greasing of journal and anti-friction bearings, chassis fittings, springs, water pumps, universal joints, non-disc brake wheel bearings, lawn mower equipment, power tools and more!
- Typical industries include automotive, car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, boat, construction, mining, drilling, and several industrial applications
- Heavy-duty, lithium-base grease
- Strong protection against both wear and corrosion
- Performs well in Temperatures of 0 degree Fahrenheit to 265 degree Fahrenheit
- Water insoluble NLGI grade 2
- 3 ounce cartridge
- Product Type: Auto Accessory
- Country Of Origin: China
- Item Package Weight: 0.34 Kgs
- Item Package Dimensions: 3.302 L X 12.954 W X 17.018 H (Cm)
- package height : 18.796 cm
- package length : 1.524 cm
- package width : 13.97 cm
- Product type : AUTO ACCESSORY
- Impervious to salt water, safe in potable water
- Highest Quality Standards
- Highly Reliable
- Professional Products
- Country Of Origin: China
- Bright white color
- This lithium base NLGI-2 grease has a drop point of 380F
- Not VOC Compliant for California & OTC
- Ideal for when appearance is important
- NATURAL MINK OIL PASTE - Waterproof, soften and preserve leather boots & shoes as well as vinyl items with Red Moose mink oil for leather. Pure and ethically harvested, it provides natural waterproofing and weatherproofing. Does not contain silicone.
- MULTIPURPOSE LEATHER USE - Put your best leather-clad foot forward. Enjoy a wide array of versatile uses for our premium mink oil including on automotive interiors, belts, wallets, handbags, horse saddles, baseball mitts, leather gloves, furniture and more.
- PROTECT AND PREVENT STAINS - Our genuine mink oil for boots & shoes naturally repels oils and salt stains from leather. It keeps fine leathers soft, supple and equipped to handle all four seasons with no loss of comfort, protection or performance.
- EASY TO APPLY & KEEP UP WITH - The mink oil is easy to apply with a chamois cloth. It dries within minutes and won't leave any film or residue on the leather. Keep up appearances and maintain a weatherproofed surface with just a quick weekly touch-up.
- FOR THE LOVE OF SHOES - At Red Moose we believe that style should be genuine and effortless, not stilted or pretentious. You know a delightfully polished shoe when you see one, and we know every last detail of what it takes to pull off that look and make it shine.
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API