August 15, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V602000
If the recovery winch attempts to lift more than it is rated for, it can increase the risk of an injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V602
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 23
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2012-2019 Altec AM60E, AA55E, AH75/85/100, AH125, and AH150 Aerial Devices. The recovery winch valve may allow the winch to lift more than it is rated for.
Altec will notify owners, and instruct owners to inspect the winch pressures and install an external pressure relief valve, if necessary, free of charge. The recall began October 7, 2019. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 734.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
October 1, 2019 Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain
AA55E, AM60E, AH75, AH100, AH125, and AH150 Units. These units have winch control valves that can allow excessive pressure. The control valve pressure exceeding the pressure of the winch can possibly increase the risk of death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 734 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, the necessary parts to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 734, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 2 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
October 1, 2019
Units Affected: AA55E, AM60E, AH75, AH85, AH100, AH125, and AH150 units equipped with a recovery winch (see attached list)
Recovery Winch Modification
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Many units have a recovery winch located on the front and/or rear of the unit to be used to pull the vehicle out of a stuck situation. Some customers have reported that the recovery winch can develop excessive pressure for the winch rating. Investigation of the issue found that the winch control valve was not connected properly to allow the excessive pressure to return to the hydraulic system. A winch valve that can deliver pressure exceeding the pressure of the winch increases the risk of death or serious injury.
Altec requires the affected units to be inspected for the type of winch valve. The inspection should be completed no later than 30 days from the receipt of this CSN using the procedure beginning on Page 2. If the incorrect valve is found from the inspection, the hydraulic system must be modified. Kits are available to correct this problem. One kit is needed for each 035220056 winch valve identified in the inspection. Choose the correct kit for the unit affected for the list below.
|990964148||Reducing Valve Kit, AA55E, AM60E|
|990944324||Reducing Valve Kit, AH125|
|990945340||Reducing Valve Kit, AH75, AH85, AH100, AH150|
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $360 for the labor to perform this repair. There is no warranty reimbursement for the inspection. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile
Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
Normal mechanic’s hand tools are required for the inspection. Read and understand all steps of the instructions before beginning the procedure.
1.Position the unit on a level surface, apply the parking brake and chock the wheels.
2.Locate the control valve for the recovery winch. The winch control valve location will vary depending on if the vehicle chassis is a truck or a track.
- Truck chassis will typically have the winch control valve for a rear winch located under the deck near the winch (refer to Figure 1). The winch control valve for a front winch will typically be located under the front of the subbase.
- Track unit will have the valves inside the chassis frame rails (refer to Figure 2). The center deck plate sections will need to be unbolted and removed to gain access to the valves.
View under chassis - Locations Identified
Figure 1 — Truck Valve Location
View under chassis - Locations Identified
Figure 2 — Track Unit Valve Location
3.After locating the valve, compare the valve on the vehicle with the two valves pictured in Figure 3. Identify the valve used on the unit by using the physical characteristics or by looking at the label on the valve to see which is used.
Figure 3 — Control Valve Comparison
4.Determine the action to follow based on the valve on the vehicle.
- If the valve is identified as part number 035220056, the unit hydraulic system must be modified. Select the kit required from the list on Page 1. One kit is required for each 035220056 valve on the vehicle.
- If the valve is identified as part number 990160861, the unit hydraulic system does not require modification.
5.After determining the valve on the vehicle by inspection, return the unit to service.
6.Complete the inspection form at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec.
8 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-4RCLQRT-19V602-2512
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-1RCLQRT-19V602-0558
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-2
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-19V602-8155
Defect Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- It fits for jeep Wrangler, SUV or something with a higher base like pickup trucks. When your in mud holes or rockey and steep terrain, you can winch your car out with the ZEAK 13000lb winch.
- Powerful & High-efficiency featured 3-stage planetary steel gear provides stronger pulling power of 6HP/4.5KW series electric motor. No matter how muddy the road you meet, it will be your best partner.
- Package included: a electric winch, hawse fairlead, control box, mounting bolts, clevis hook, battery leads, handle remote, wirless remote.
- All metal IP68 Waterproof construction and corrosion resistant finish with weather-sealed solenoid make it perfrom well whether in extreme weather condition or driving a bunch of water crossings.
- Our product has a 1-year limited warranty. A professional will be suggested when you install the winch. If wiring is wrong, the winch will be short circuits. Read the instruction before usage.
- Convenient – Operate the winch from anywhere within a 50-foot radius with the wireless remote and antenna, which automatically powers off when not in use to preserve your vehicle's battery
- Efficient – The 4500-lb. rated line pull powered by a 1.6-horsepower (12-volt) DC motor has a line speed of 4.6 feet per minute with a full load, and 12.8 feet per minute with no load
- Complete Setup – Included wireless remote and antenna, mounting channel, roller fairlead and wiring kit with contactor and mini-rocker handlebar switch create an easier than ever winching experience
- Hassle-Free – The roller fairlead creates a safe and smooth pull with the dependable 38-foot galvanized super-duty aircraft cable which is able to withstand abrasive terrain without fraying
- Waterproof IP67 rating and state-of-the-art 500AMP solenoid valve.Equipped with the latest generation of wireless remote for all the latest x-bull winches
- Standard working winch, one synthetic wire, 13000 LBS capacity;Ideal for two-door jeeps and light suvs for daily pull.Suitable for all kinds of harsh environment
- Please confirm the fit of mounting plate before purchase: outline size :(length X width X height) 20.8"X 6.5" X 10.24", mounting bolt type :10.00 ± 0.015" × 4.50 ± 0.010".Synthetic rope :3/8’’ x 80 ft
- Heavy duty sealed contactor with positive load control for power input and output.Powerful motor and three-stage planetary gear system provide faster linear speed and lower ampere traction under load.High efficiency - 25.3 feet per minute for no load and 7 feet per minute for full load
- X-BULL, all winches come with lifetime technical support and a one-year limited warranty.If there is any issue during the purchase, please feel free to contact us, we will provide professional and timely service
- The zeak electric towing Winch with an impressive 12000lbs of pulling power and fast line speed under load, is a compact sized winch to help you with those heavy jobs around the off-road or on the work site, with Wireless remote make you more convenient.
- [HASSLE FREE] a durable 3/8''x86' synthetic rope, heavy duty sealed high amperage contactor, dynamic braking system, 6 HP DC motor make our winch power enough to haul your vehicle back on track-fast.
- The 3-stage planetary gear train convert the motor power into more powerful tension with line speed of 4.6 feet per minute full load and 16 feet per minute no load.
- Please read the instruction carefully. Winch will cause short circuits and heat or smoke if wiring is wrong. We suggest you can find a professional to install.
- All-mental construction powerful winch offer you a different life. keep moving on your trip, getting stuck never become a problem. Our electrical components covered by the 1 YEAR WARRANTY. If you have any problems, please consult with us at any time.
- Standard duty winch with a steel cable and an 10, 000 lb. capacity; Ideal for 1/2-ton pickup trucks, jeeps, and larger SUVs
- Powerful series-wound motor and planetary gear train deliver faster line speed under load, with lower amp draw
- High-performance Albright contactor delivers maximum reliability; Control packs can be relocated for low-profile installations
- Features IP68-rated waterproof construction, two-in-one remote with wired and wireless options, and one-piece cast-aluminum tie-plate
- Designed, engineered, and tested in the USA; Limited lifetime for mechanical parts and 7 years on electrical
- Your purchase includes: Smittybilt X20 Comp Synthetic Rope Winch, hawse fairlead with forged hook, All required power cables to hook up to your vehicle, Rope Sleeve and Wireless Remote
- Winch can be operated with the remote or manually
- Technical Specification: 6.6 HP Amphibious motor, 3-Stage Planetary Gear System, Stainless Steel Hardware, Dynamic Braking System, 2 Solenoid Mounting Options
- Overall Dimensions: 22.3"L x 5.4"W x 9.4" H. Mounting Bolt Pattern: 10” x 4.5”. Net weight: 67lbs.
- Completely Waterproof, state-of-the-art 500AMP Solenoid
- 1.1 hp 12V DC permanent magnet motor with positive load control for power input and output protected by a circuit breaker to ensure safety.
- Three-stage planetary gear is powered by motor pulling 1/4’' X 50' synthetic rope, which is able to withstand abrasive terrain without fraying, guarantee high performance.
- IP 65 rated, all metal waterproof construction against rain and moisture. Designed for sports vehicle recovery in all kind of off road environments.
- Packages included: wireless remote, mounting bracket ( L * W * H: 7.2'' x 5.1'' x 2.3'' ) and fairlead ( L * W: 5.4'' x 2'' ). Please confirm suitable before purchase.
- Tyrannosaurus all winches offer one-year limited warranty.If you have any problem, please feel free to contact us, we will provide technical support for you.
- Special designed for atv, utv, car, boat, trucks, jeeps, modified vehicles and multi purpose utility trailers
- 7.2hp 12v series wound motor and three-stage planetary gear system with free spooling clutch.100' Length 3/8" Diameter Nlyon rope
- Waterproof and sandproof, state-of-the-art 500AMP Solenoid.Unique clutch brake system, excellent control
- Please confirm the fit of mounting plate before purchase: outline size :(length X width X height) 20.8"X 6.7" X 10"
- Our electrical components covered by the 1 year warranty,Please read the instruction carefully. The winch can cause short circuits if wiring is wrong. If you have any problems, please feel free to consult with us.
- 🔧Powerful series: 5.5 HP 12v DC series winding winch motor, three-stage planetary gear system and state of the art 500 amp relay.
- 🔧Efficient Line Speed: 6.4 feet per minute when fully loaded, 24.6 feet per minute when empty.
- 🔧Overall Dimensions: 21.25″X 6.3125″X 10.125″(540x160x257mm); Winch mounting bolt pattern: 10″ x 4.5″(254mm x 114.3mm); Net weight: 55lb. (24.9kg)
- 🔧Convenient Control: Upgraded winch hand-held wired and wireless remote controls enhance the remote control experience with increased sensitivity and accuracy.
- 🔧Lifetime Mechanical Warranty: All winches are provided with lifetime technical support and one-year limited warranty. If there is any problem during the purchase period, please contact us at any time, and we will provide the most professional and timely service
- Package Include: 1x Synthetic Winch Rope, 1x Hook, 1x Stopper
- Rope Material: ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene. Rope Color: Gray
- Minimal stretch and non rotation.Good resistance to UV and chemicals. Upgrade your winch with stronger synthetic winch rope than traditional steel cables.
- Rope Length: 15m(50ft). Thickness: 5mm(3/16"). Breaking Strength: Average 7000 lbs.
Last update on 2022-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API