July 2, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V508000
If the fasteners fail, the pedestal may separate from the turntable, increasing the risk of injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V508
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 160
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2018-2019 AT37/41/48 and L37/42/44 Aerial Devices. The high strength fasteners used to secure the pedestal to the turntable may fail.
Altec will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fasteners, free of charge. The recall began August 22, 2019. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 725.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
August 14, 2019
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain AT37M, AT41M, AT48M, AT40M, L34A, L37, L42, L42A and L44E Units. These units have rotation bearing fasteners that may not meet Altec specifications. The fasteners can possibly cause fail causing in uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 725 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement fasteners to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 725, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 7.5 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
Date: August 14, 2019
Units Affected: AT37M, AT41M, AT48M, AT40M, L34A, L37, L42, L42A and L44E
(see attached list)
Rotation Bearing Cap Screw Inspection
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Altec has received reports of isolated failures of the heads on some of the cap screws on the affected units. Investigation of the problem has found that the fasteners in a specific lot were not manufactured to the Altec fastener coating specification. The insufficient coating may lead to hydrogen embrittlement which could cause the cap screw head to fail prematurely. Failing rotation bearing cap screws can cause uncontrolled movement. Death or serious injury can result from uncontrolled movement.
Altec requires the following actions be completed on the affected units.
- Perform a torque check on both the inner and outer races of the turntable rotationbearing cap screws using the Annual Torque Inspection Procedure in the Maintenance Manual.
- If any cap screws are broken, remove the unit from service and replace all of the cap screws in that rotation bearing race.
- Look for the lot number embossed on thehead of each cap screw. Record the head marking on the inspection form at the end of the CSN.
- If any cap screw is marked with 3066 on the head of the fastener (refer to Figure 1), replace the cap screws in that race no later than 30 days after the inspection.
- If the fasteners are not marked with 3066 Figure 1 — Cap Screw Head Marking and are not broken, the inspection is completed and the unit can be returned to service and normal torque inspections can be resumed.
- Complete the inspection form at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec.
Altec has kits available for the cap screw replacement.
990583685 Outer Race Rotation Bearing Cap Screw Kit
990583686 Inner Race Rotation Bearing Cap Screw Kit
Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) and select Prompt 1 to order the correct kit needed.
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $675 for the labor to perform this repair. There is no warranty reimbursement for the inspection. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
2 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 1
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4RCLQRT-19V508-0614
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-1
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3RCLQRT-19V508-0414
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V508-1407
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Latest Recalls Documents
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- Includes storage case and product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- Price For: Each
- Nickel/Chrome finish with ergonomic grip
- Tool does not have to be 'turned down' after use, providing convenience. The length also provides the needed reach for those-hard-to-get-at places.
- Torque setting locks on adjustable wrenches for repetitive applications
- Adjustment knob eliminates spring tension, so setting torque on adjustable wrenches is fast and easy
- This wrench is intended for light applications. It has a range of 50-250 inch pounds which is 4-20 foot pounds. Please contact us if you have any questions
- Lifetime Personal Use Guarantee
- Instantly converts between four different measurements (Lb.in, N.m, Lb.ft, Kg.cm)
- Wrench clicks and/or releases when preset torque value is reached
- Accurate to +/- 3% in clockwise direction compared to most competitors +/- 4%
- 3/8“ drive torque wrench with 15-80 ft.-lb/20.4-108.5 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 4%
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- Backed by an Amazon Basics limited one-year warranty
- PORTABILITY: Torque wrench 1/2 inch drive has a durable case for portability or storage
- ADDED COMFORT: Bi-material handle for comfort and grip of the 1/2 torque wrench
- HASSLE FREE USE: Locking feature adjusts quick and easily for hassle free use
- QUICK IDENTIFICATION: Scales stamped into housing showing inch and metric torque settings
- Meets or Exceeds ASME Specifications
- [Advanced Technology]: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs foot pounds torque range with LED flashing / vibration / buzzer alarm when torque is reached. Easy to read LCD display with measurements (kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. ft-lb)
- [Multiple Setting Functions]: Torque, Measurement, and, Peak & Trace, Mode Settings. (Torque setting range: 10% of max torque value. Measuring range: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs)
- [High Accuracy]: 2% clockwise 3% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale
- [Quality Assurance]: Meets or exceeds ASME B107. 14-2004, ISO 6789 standards, individually serialized with matching certificate of calibration traceable to N. I. S. T.
- Uses 4x AAA Batteries. One-year limited manufacturer warranty
- High quality, ratcheting torque wrench to quickly and accurately measure and apply the proper amount of torque to components and accessories
- The TW-6.2 features a dial-adjust click system to pre-set the desired torque setting
- Ratcheting 3/8 inch drive fitting
- Model number: QKTW62
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API