January 18, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V044000
If the vehicle pulls left, it may cross into another lane unexpectedly, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V044
Manufacturer Hino Motors Sales U.S.A., Inc.
Components SERVICE BRAKES
Potential Number of Units Affected 7,231
Hino Motors Sales U.S.A., Inc. (Hino) is recalling certain 2007-2019 NJ8J (258ALP) vehicles. These vehicles do not have dust shields on the front brake assemblies. During wet conditions, uneven water saturation on the front brake assemblies may result in the vehicle pulling to the left during hard braking.
Hino will notify owners, and dealers will install new brake drums with dust shields, free of charge. The recall began March 19, 2019. Owners may contact Hino customer service at 1-248-699-9390. Hino’s number for this recall is AACL0.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
AACL0 CONVENTIONAL ALP DRUM AND DUST SHIELD INSTALLATION
RECALL NO: AACL0
SUBJECT VEHICLES: Certain 2007 through 2019 model year Hino Conventional NJ8J (258ALP) vehicles equipped with a J08 engine that were assembled at the Williamstown, WV assembly plant, or the Ontario California, U.S.A. assembly plant.
Due to the absence of dust shields on the front brake assemblies and differences in airflow around the right and left brake assemblies, in very wet conditions, the recalled vehicle population may exhibit a brake pull to the left during hard braking events. Investigation shows that the right brake assembly is becoming saturated with water while the left brake assembly stays dry during such conditions. A newly designed brake drum, which accommodates dust shields for brake assemblies, will be installed on all the subject vehicles.
NEW VEHICLES IN DEALERSHIP INVENTORY
As required by Federal law (49 Code of Federal Regulations §577.13), dealerships are not to deliver any new vehicles in their inventory that are involved in a Safety Recall unless the vehicle has been remedied. Refer to the appropriate Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) list to determine vehicle eligibility.
Note: Refer to the appropriate Vehicle Identification Number in the warranty system to determine vehicle eligibility.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Read and understand all instructions and procedures before you begin the work.
- Read and follow all WARNINGS and NOTICES set forth in this publication. These alerts help to avoid damage to components, serious personal injury, or both.
- Park the vehicle on a flat, level and solid surface.
- Place the gear shift lever in “Neutral” or “Park”.
- Apply the parking brake firmly and confirm parking brake activation.
- Turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition switch.
- Always wear safety glasses or goggles to protect your eyes.
- Place wheel chocks in front of and behind all the wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.
|PART NUMBER||PART DESCRIPTION||QUANTITY|
|KIT12011||TWO PIECE DUST SHIELD||2|
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level and solid surface.
2. Confirm the engine is stopped, the ignition switch is in the off (LOCK) position, and the key is removed.
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Chock the rear wheels.
WARNING: Failure to properly support the vehicle could result in serious injury or death.
WARNING: The wheel is heavy and may require an assistant to remove.
WARNING: The brake drum is heavy and may require an assistant to remove.
4. Remove the brake drum from the hub.
5. Push down on the lower brake shoe. Pull on the cam roller retainer clip to disengage the retainer and cam roller from the brake shoe. Remove the lower brake shoe cam roller. Discard the cam roller.
Discard the brake shoes, return spring, retainer spring, and anchor pins.
9. Using a 3/8×16 tap, clean the four threaded holes on the brake spider.
NOTICE: Only three of the four holes are pictured.
Specified Torque: 30 lb-ft (40Nm)
NOTICE: The four bolts are installed from the back side of the dust shield.
11. Apply NLGI grade 1 or 2 lithium grease to the new anchor pins provided in the kit. Install these in the brake spider.
12. Place a new brake shoe on the upper anchor pin. Attach the new retainer spring and new return spring to the upper brake shoe. Connect the other end of the retainer spring to a new lower brake shoe. Rotate the lower brake shoe forward.
13. Install the other end of the new return spring with the open end of the spring hook facing toward the brake camshaft.
17. Install the new brake drum on the hub.
18. With the brake drum flush against the hub, verify 3mm to 6mm of clearance between the drum and the edge of the dust shield. Adjust the dust shield if necessary.
20. Using the adjustment nut on the slack adjuster, advance the slack adjuster until the brake shoes contact the drum.
21. Release the pull pawl using a screwdriver and using the adjustment nut, back off the slack adjuster one-half turn. Verify the wheel rotates freely and brake chamber free stroke is 1/2 to 5/8 inches.
22. Repeat steps 2 through 21 on the right front brake.
Specified Torque: 475 lb-ft (645Nm)
25. Proceed to final inspection.
1. To complete this safety recall procedure, review and confirm the following:
- Shields have been installed and properly torqued on both front brake assemblies
- The front brakes have been properly adjusted
- The front wheels have been properly torqued
Reimbursable in accordance within the terms and policies of the Hino limited warranties.
Front Brake Drum and Dust Shield Installation:
- Recall No. AACL0
- Labor charge: 4.0hr (Drum replacement and Dust Shield Installation WITH Brake Shoe Replacement)
- Warranty code: 32113
- Trouble code: 22
- Operation code: 32150AOT
- Original failed part: 9999999999
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
MY2007 – 2019 NJ8J (258ALP)
Conventional on-road Medium Duty Truck
Brake Dust Shield Installation HNTSA 19V044 Hino AACL0
This notice applies to your vehicle: VIN:
Dear Hino Truck Owner:
This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Hino has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2007 – 2019 conventional trucks. You received this notice because our records, which are based primarily on state registration and title data, indicate that you are the current owner.
What is the Condition?
Due to the absence of dust shields on the front brake assemblies and differences in air flow around the right and left brake assemblies, in very wet conditions, the recalled vehicle population may exhibit a brake pull to the left during hard braking events. Investigation shows that the right brake assembly is becoming saturated with water while the left brake assembly stays dry during such conditions. The brake pull to the left during hard braking events during very wet conditions may result in unexpected vehicle travel to the left in such situations. This could result in increased risk of a crash.
What will Hino do?
A newly designed brake drum which accommodates dust shields for brake assemblies will be installed on your vehicle. Please make an appointment with your authorized Hino Dealer to have the remedial work performed. This repair will be performed at NO COST to you.
What should you do?
You do not need an owner letter to have this recall completed; however, to assist the dealer in confirming vehicle eligibility, we request that you present this notice at the time of your service appointment.
If you would like to update your vehicle ownership or contact information, you may do so by contacting Hino Warranty at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 1 248-699-9390. You will need your full 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to update the new ownership or contact information.
What if you have other questions?
- Your local Hino dealer will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and set up an appointment to perform the repair.
- You can locate a Hino dealer in your area by going online and visiting hino.com
- If you require further assistance, you may contact Hino Warranty at 1-248-699-9390, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
If you believe that the dealer or Hino has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hot Line at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov. ·
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.
Thank you for being a valued Hino customer. Sincerely,
HINO MOTORS SALES, U.S.A., INC.
13 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1RCLQRT-19V044-8287
Miscellaneous Document- Supplemental ChronologyRMISC-19V044-0107
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-19V044-7926
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2RCLQRT-19V044-4965
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-19V044-7166
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
- The original brake parts cleaner
- Formulated to quickly & effectively remove grease, brake dust, brake fluids, oils, & other contaminants from brake parts, lining, pads
- Cannot be sold for use in ca or nj
- This item is not for sale in catalina island
- Cleans fast like chlorinated Brake cleaner but without the hazards associated with chlorinated solvents
- Quickly dissolves Brake fluid, grease, oil, and other contaminants
- Cleans Brake linings, disc Brake pads, rotors, Drums, cylinders, springs, clutches, CV joints
- Dries quickly and leaves no residue
- NOT for use in California or Utah
- 15.3 FLUID OUNCES
- The one and only Denco Brake Cleaner - highly aggressive formula with no cheap fillers.
- Low odor, low VOC, no cheap ingredients - High pressure from full to empty.
- Dries fast, low runoff and cleanup.
- Works as an excellent multipurpose spray product.
- THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SOLD OR SHIPPED TO CALIFORNIA AND NEW JERSEY
- MOST POWERFUL FORMULA: Our original; non-flammable formula uses a potent solvent that cleans and dries fast to remove contaminants and leave no residue.
- EFFECTIVE BRAKE CLEANING: Removes grease; brake dust; fluid; and oils to restore brake performance and eliminate squeaks and squeals.
- APPLICATIONS: Our brake cleaner is ideal for use on brake cylinders; brake drums; brake linings; brake shoes; calipers; clutch discs; and disc brake pads.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: CRC Brakleen is available in a 1 gallon bottle.
- CRC INDUSTRIES: A market leader that offers impeccably designed chemical solutions to maintain; protect and repair different marine; heavy-duty motor vehicles; industrial-grade engines; household tools and electrical equipment.
- BRAKE CLEANER SPRAY - Especially effective special cleaner for brakes, clutches and all mechanical parts that need to be degreased without rinsing. Quickly dissolves and removes oil, grease and all other types of dirt. Spray directly onto the surface to be cleaned, leave on for a few moments. The product is filled at high pressure and also acts mechanically. Do not spray on painted parts and plastic surfaces.
- TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS - Color: TransparentRelative density: at 68°F 0.62 ÷ 0.66 g/mlFlammability point: Inf. 32°F Pressure at 68°F: 6/7 bar Initial boiling point: 118,4°F Melting temperature: -68°F Self-ignition temperature: 761°F Vapor pressure: 34.80 at 68°F Store the product in a dry place and do not store at temperatures below 32°F and above 113°F
- CFS GAS FREE - All our spray cans do not contain gases harmful to the ozone and atmosphere instead we use LPG gas.Store the product in a dry place at a temperature between 32 and 113 ºF. If stored in the original packaging, the product can be conserved for 24 months. The product doesn’t expire. Keep out of the reach of children.
- MADE IN ITALY - Ambro-Sol S.r.l. is one of the few companies in the industry nationwide and in Europe to directly manufacture and distribute its products under its own brand name. In full respect of 100% Made in Italy, Ambro-Sol's branded products are safe and innovative. The peculiarities that have made the company great can be summarized in the following concepts: qualitative and technological development, best value for money, professional and efficient service.
- METAL RECYCLES FOREVER - Metal packaging satisfies all aspects of sustainability by ensuring total protection from contact with oxygen, gases, light, moisture and preserves product characteristics for a long time, thus avoiding waste. Ambro-Sol is active in policies to raise awareness of the use of metal packaging as it provides huge energy savings on recycling the same and drastically reduces greenhouse emissions.
- Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner, 14.5 oz each
- Strong degreaser with fast cleaning action
- Highly Flammable, evaporates quickly, leaving no residue
- Fully made in the USA
- Not for use in CA, CT, DE, MD, NH, NY, RI and parts of UT
Last update on 2023-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.