January 18, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V044000
If the vehicle pulls left, it may cross into another lane unexpectedly, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V044
Manufacturer Hino Motors Sales U.S.A., Inc.
Components SERVICE BRAKES
Potential Number of Units Affected 7,231
Hino Motors Sales U.S.A., Inc. (Hino) is recalling certain 2007-2019 NJ8J (258ALP) vehicles. These vehicles do not have dust shields on the front brake assemblies. During wet conditions, uneven water saturation on the front brake assemblies may result in the vehicle pulling to the left during hard braking.
Hino will notify owners, and dealers will install new brake drums with dust shields, free of charge. The recall began March 19, 2019. Owners may contact Hino customer service at 1-248-699-9390. Hino's number for this recall is AACL0.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
AACL0 CONVENTIONAL ALP DRUM AND DUST SHIELD INSTALLATION
RECALL NO: AACL0
SUBJECT VEHICLES: Certain 2007 through 2019 model year Hino Conventional NJ8J (258ALP) vehicles equipped with a J08 engine that were assembled at the Williamstown, WV assembly plant, or the Ontario California, U.S.A. assembly plant.
Due to the absence of dust shields on the front brake assemblies and differences in airflow around the right and left brake assemblies, in very wet conditions, the recalled vehicle population may exhibit a brake pull to the left during hard braking events. Investigation shows that the right brake assembly is becoming saturated with water while the left brake assembly stays dry during such conditions. A newly designed brake drum, which accommodates dust shields for brake assemblies, will be installed on all the subject vehicles.
NEW VEHICLES IN DEALERSHIP INVENTORY
As required by Federal law (49 Code of Federal Regulations §577.13), dealerships are not to deliver any new vehicles in their inventory that are involved in a Safety Recall unless the vehicle has been remedied. Refer to the appropriate Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) list to determine vehicle eligibility.
Note: Refer to the appropriate Vehicle Identification Number in the warranty system to determine vehicle eligibility.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Read and understand all instructions and procedures before you begin the work.
- Read and follow all WARNINGS and NOTICES set forth in this publication. These alerts help to avoid damage to components, serious personal injury, or both.
- Park the vehicle on a flat, level and solid surface.
- Place the gear shift lever in “Neutral” or “Park”.
- Apply the parking brake firmly and confirm parking brake activation.
- Turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition switch.
- Always wear safety glasses or goggles to protect your eyes.
- Place wheel chocks in front of and behind all the wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.
|PART NUMBER||PART DESCRIPTION||QUANTITY|
|KIT12011||TWO PIECE DUST SHIELD||2|
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level and solid surface.
2. Confirm the engine is stopped, the ignition switch is in the off (LOCK) position, and the key is removed.
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Chock the rear wheels.
WARNING: Failure to properly support the vehicle could result in serious injury or death.
WARNING: The wheel is heavy and may require an assistant to remove.
2. Remove the ten lug nuts from the left front wheel. Remove the wheel.
WARNING: The brake drum is heavy and may require an assistant to remove.
4. Remove the brake drum from the hub.
5. Push down on the lower brake shoe. Pull on the cam roller retainer clip to disengage the retainer and cam roller from the brake shoe. Remove the lower brake shoe cam roller. Discard the cam roller.
6. Lift the upper brake shoe. Pull on the cam roller retainer clip to disengage the retainer and cam roller from the brake shoe. Remove the upper brake shoe cam roller. Discard the cam roller.
7. While lifting the lower brake shoe, release the brake shoe return spring from the lower brake shoe.
8. Rotate the lower brake shoe downwards to release the tension on the brake shoe retainer spring. Remove the brake shoes and anchor pins.
Discard the brake shoes, return spring, retainer spring, and anchor pins.
9. Using a 3/8x16 tap, clean the four threaded holes on the brake spider.
NOTICE: Only three of the four holes are pictured.
10. Install the two piece dust shield using four bolts provided in the kit. Tighten the bolts to the specified torque.
Specified Torque: 30 lb-ft (40Nm)
NOTICE: The four bolts are installed from the back side of the dust shield.
11. Apply NLGI grade 1 or 2 lithium grease to the new anchor pins provided in the kit. Install these in the brake spider.
12. Place a new brake shoe on the upper anchor pin. Attach the new retainer spring and new return spring to the upper brake shoe. Connect the other end of the retainer spring to a new lower brake shoe. Rotate the lower brake shoe forward.
13. Install the other end of the new return spring with the open end of the spring hook facing toward the brake camshaft.
14. Apply NLGI grade 1 or 2 lithium grease to the 2 roller trunnions of each brake shoe.
15. Install the new upper brake shoe cam roller by lifting on the upper brake shoe and squeezing the roller retaining clip into place.
16. Install the new lower brake shoe cam roller by pushing down on the lower brake shoe and squeezing the roller retaining clip into place.
17. Install the new brake drum on the hub.
18. With the brake drum flush against the hub, verify 3mm to 6mm of clearance between the drum and the edge of the dust shield. Adjust the dust shield if necessary.
19. Reinstall the left front wheel and tighten the ten lug nuts.
20. Using the adjustment nut on the slack adjuster, advance the slack adjuster until the brake shoes contact the drum.
21. Release the pull pawl using a screwdriver and using the adjustment nut, back off the slack adjuster one-half turn. Verify the wheel rotates freely and brake chamber free stroke is 1/2 to 5/8 inches.
22. Repeat steps 2 through 21 on the right front brake.
24. Tighten the front wheel lug nuts on both sides of the vehicle to the specified torque.
Specified Torque: 475 lb-ft (645Nm)
25. Proceed to final inspection.
1. To complete this safety recall procedure, review and confirm the following:
- Shields have been installed and properly torqued on both front brake assemblies
- The front brakes have been properly adjusted
- The front wheels have been properly torqued
Reimbursable in accordance within the terms and policies of the Hino limited warranties.
Front Brake Drum and Dust Shield Installation:
- Recall No. AACL0
- Labor charge: 4.0hr (Drum replacement and Dust Shield Installation WITH Brake Shoe Replacement)
- Warranty code: 32113
- Trouble code: 22
- Operation code: 32150AOT
- Original failed part: 9999999999
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
MY2007 - 2019 NJ8J (258ALP)
Conventional on-road Medium Duty Truck
Brake Dust Shield Installation HNTSA 19V044 Hino AACL0
This notice applies to your vehicle: VIN:
Dear Hino Truck Owner:
This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Hino has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2007 - 2019 conventional trucks. You received this notice because our records, which are based primarily on state registration and title data, indicate that you are the current owner.
What is the Condition?
Due to the absence of dust shields on the front brake assemblies and differences in air flow around the right and left brake assemblies, in very wet conditions, the recalled vehicle population may exhibit a brake pull to the left during hard braking events. Investigation shows that the right brake assembly is becoming saturated with water while the left brake assembly stays dry during such conditions. The brake pull to the left during hard braking events during very wet conditions may result in unexpected vehicle travel to the left in such situations. This could result in increased risk of a crash.
What will Hino do?
A newly designed brake drum which accommodates dust shields for brake assemblies will be installed on your vehicle. Please make an appointment with your authorized Hino Dealer to have the remedial work performed. This repair will be performed at NO COST to you.
What should you do?
You do not need an owner letter to have this recall completed; however, to assist the dealer in confirming vehicle eligibility, we request that you present this notice at the time of your service appointment.
If you would like to update your vehicle ownership or contact information, you may do so by contacting Hino Warranty at [email protected] or by telephone 1 248-699-9390. You will need your full 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to update the new ownership or contact information.
What if you have other questions?
- Your local Hino dealer will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and set up an appointment to perform the repair.
- You can locate a Hino dealer in your area by going online and visiting hino.com
- If you require further assistance, you may contact Hino Warranty at 1-248-699-9390, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
If you believe that the dealer or Hino has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hot Line at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov. ·
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.
Thank you for being a valued Hino customer. Sincerely,
HINO MOTORS SALES, U.S.A., INC.
13 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1RCLQRT-19V044-8287
Miscellaneous Document- Supplemental ChronologyRMISC-19V044-0107
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V044-9522
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2RCLQRT-19V044-4965
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-19V044-7166
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- The original brake parts cleaner
- Formulated to quickly & effectively remove grease, brake dust, brake fluids, oils, & other contaminants from brake parts, lining, pads
- Cannot be sold for use in ca or nj
- This item is not for sale in catalina island
- Non chlorinated brake parts cleaner
- Low volatile organic compounds(VOC) formulation
- Formulated to remove brake fluid, grease, oil and other contaminants from brake linings and pads
- Applied on brake cylinders, brake drums, brake linings, brake shoes, calipers and clutch discs
- Comes in 14-ounce bottle includes 12 bottle per pack
- 15.3 FLUID OUNCES
- The one and only Denco Brake Cleaner - highly aggressive formula with no cheap fillers.
- Low odor, low VOC, no cheap ingredients - High pressure from full to empty.
- Dries fast, low runoff and cleanup.
- Works as an excellent multipurpose spray product.
- Cleans fast like chlorinated Brake cleaner but without the hazards associated with chlorinated solvents
- Quickly dissolves Brake fluid, grease, oil, and other contaminants
- Cleans Brake linings, disc Brake pads, rotors, Drums, cylinders, springs, clutches, CV joints
- Dries quickly and leaves no residue
- NOT for use in California or Utah
- Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner, 14.5 oz each
- Not for use in CA, CT, DE, MD, NH, RI and parts of UT
- Highly Flammable
- Evaporates quickly
- Made in the USA
- Residue Free - When using our brake cleaner spray to clean your brakes and brake components, you don’t need to worry about grease, dirt, or dust being left behind. This spray will remove all residue so that your brakes work properly.
- Specially Formulated - We formulated our brake clean spray and designed the can so that the cleaner could be applied in multiple ways for your convenience. Thanks to our special spray system, it can be applied horizontally, vertically, & upside down.
- Increase Traction - When used, our brake parts cleaner removes the dust and oil that are on the metal parts of the brake system including the pads, cylinders, drums, and more. This improves traction as well as safety.
- Non-Chlorinated - The brake parts cleaner spray doesn’t contain ingredients that are known to be harmful to humans. Our brake clean is free from acetone, halogenated solvents, and it is non-chlorinated.
- Additional Use - Our brake parts cleaner is made to be used on brake system components like calipers, springs, pads, and discs, but it can also work in other areas as well. Use this brake clean to remove dust, oil, and dirt from motor parts, too.
Last update on 2022-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API