The darker windscreen can inhibit the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain Accessory Windscreens, sold for installation on various motorcycles. Specifically being recalled is Windscreen model number 8531917, sold for use on model year 2012-2018 F700GS motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8544629, sold for use on model year 2015-2018 R1200R motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8546224, sold for use on model year 2014-2018 S1000R motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8551929, sold for use on model year 2015-2018 S1000XR motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8554726, sold for use on model year 2013-2018 R1200GS motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8554727 sold for use on model year 2014-2018 R1200GS Adventure motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8556927, sold for use on model year 2015-2018 R1200RS motorcycles, Windscreen model number 8559548, sold for use on model year 2017-2018 R1200GS motorcycles and Windscreen model number 8561755, sold for use on model year 2012-2018 F800GS motorcycles. These windscreens have extra tinting on them that may reduce the rider's visibility. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 205, "Glazing Materials."
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Date: April 3, 2018
Revised: May 9, 2018
Bulletin #: 71-04-18(R)
BMW Motorrad USA
Parts Information Bulletin
Subject: Tinted Windshield Non-Compliance Recall
In the course of quality observations, BMW Motorrad has established that for some motorcycles in the US markets, tinted windshields were offered as accessories and do not meet certain NHTSA requirements.
Since April 2018 the affected tinted windshields are no longer offered in the US markets. See list below for affected part numbers.
Notify customers who purchased the windshield of the need to carry out this service campaign for their motorcycle to be complaint with NHTSA standards. An example customer letter is attached for your use. Please provide it to your customers. For motorcycles that have not yet been delivered and have a windshield installed from the affected parts list, the service campaign must be carried out before delivery to customers.
In the case that a BMW Motorrad accessory tinted windshield is installed on a customer’s motorcycle from the affected parts list, it must be replaced with the standard windshield. The removed tinted windshield must be scrapped. The customer must be reimbursed for the purchase price (invoicing key 04) and a copy of the invoice must be attached to the warranty claim.
In case a replacement is required, the required parts specific to the motorcycle can be found in ETK under main group 46. The replacement must be done in accordance with the repair instructions for windshields according to the BMW Motorrad Repair and Service Data which can be found in AIR.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall.
Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
Warranty processing Converting windshields
|77 46 90 00 00||Replacing windshield|
Flat rate unit number
|00 60 248||Replacing windshield, 3 FRU|
|+ 00 60 674||Replacing windshield, 2 FRU|
|-- -- - --- ---||Necessary parts - see list below and refer to repair manual (AIR) and ETK for necessary hardware|
|Affected Part Numbers||Replacement Part Numbers|
|Part number||Part number|
|46 63 8 531 917||Windshield, small, tinted||46 63 8 526 521||Windshield, small, clear|
|77 33 8 544 629||Windshield, sport, tinted||46 63 8 534 281||Windshield, sport, clear|
|46 63 8 546 224||Windshield, sport, tinted||46 63 8 534 176||Windshield, sport, clear|
|77 33 8 551 929||Windshield, tinted||46 63 7 717 038||Windshield, clear|
|77 33 8 554 726||Windshield, tinted||46 63 8 557 867||Windshield, clear|
|77 33 8 554 727||Windshield, high, tinted||46 63 8 557 868||Windshield, high, clear|
|77 33 8 556 927||Windshield, tinted||46 63 8 545 299||Windshield, clear|
|77 33 8 559 548||Windshield Rallye, tinted||46 63 8 556 640||Windshield, Rallye, clear|
|77 33 8 561 755||Windshield, high, tinted||46 63 7 694 991||Windshield, high, clear|
Return Process for Dealer Stock
Dealer inventory of these affected parts should not be sold or installed on any vehicle. Concerned are all parts delivered and shipped to date.
Please return all part(s) to your facing Regional Distribution Center (RDC). Submit for return using YR26 damage claim with order reason BM2. A valid BMW delivery and delivery item number must be entered, and TEC118 must appear in the text of your TEC claim.
TEC118 is valid from April 3, 2018 through April 17, 2018. The deadline for filing a claim under TEC118 is April 17, 2018. All parts must be returned to your facing RDC no later than May 1, 2018.
|Parts and Accessories Manager|
|Material Planning and Parts Logistics
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL – Remedy Available
This notice applies to your motorcycle, [INSERT VIN]
Recall Campaign No. 18E-016: Dealer Accessory Windscreens
Dear BMW Owner / Lessee:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that certain dealer accessory windscreens (for Model Year 2012-2018 BMW F700GS and F800GS, 2013-2018 R1200GS, 2014-2018 S1000R and R1200GS Adventure, 2015-2018 R1200R, R1200RS, and S1000XR, and 2017-2018 R1200GS motorcycles), fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 205 (Glazing Materials). Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected motorcycle.
Why are we contacting you?
We are pleased to inform you that we are ready to perform this recall. If you purchased a dealer accessory windscreen for your motorcycle, please contact your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer immediately to schedule an appointment. To locate your nearest BMW motorcycle dealer, visit www.bmwmotorcycles.com/dealers.
What is the issue?
This Non-Compliance Recall involves the dealer accessory windscreen which does not conform to Federal requirements because it contains additional tinting in certain areas of the windscreen. Due to the additional tinting, use of the accessory windscreen may inhibit the driver’s visibility, and increase the risk of a crash.
If you are not the only rider of this motorcycle, please advise all other riders of this important information.
What will BMW do?
The accessory windscreen will be replaced with one which conforms to Federal requirements. This will be performed FOR FREE by your authorized BMW motorcycle dealer, and will take approximately one hour.
What if the current motorcycle ownership information is incorrect?
You can update motorcycle ownership and contact information by completing the enclosed postage-paid card. If you are a motorcycle lessor, Federal Regulations require you to forward this notice to your lessee within ten days.
What if you have questions or experience problems?
For the latest updates to this recall, please visit www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall. Should you have any questions about this recall, please contact your authorized BMW motorcycle dealer. If you need additional assistance, contact BMW Customer Relations and Services at 1-800-525-7417 or at [email protected].
If your BMW motorcycle dealer is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey
Please be assured that your safety is important to us, and we sincerely apologize if this recall causes any inconvenience. We recommend always wearing a helmet and protective apparel when riding.
BMW of North America, LLC
May 9, 2018
April 3, 2018
Owner Notification Letter
Update - Revision to tinted windshield non-compliance recall
March 23, 2018
- PRO-STRENGTH: Pro-Strength glass cleaner spray to easily remove dirt, grime, grease and film
- GENTLE AND SAFE: Ammonia-free, safe on window tint
- QUICK CLEANING: Quickly cleans and removes bugs, tree sap, road grime, smoker's film and bird droppings
- STREAK-FREE: anti-hazing auto window cleaner is streak-free for perfect clarity
- SUPERIOR CLEANING: Auto glass cleaner spreads and wipe off quickly, with superior cleaning ability to tackle even the dirtiest glass
- THE ORIGINAL: Trust the original windshield cleaner for reaching tight and difficult spaces at home and in your car. The Reach & Clean tool window wand cleans glass almost effortlessly.
- WASHABLE: Simply remove the washable microfiber glass cleaning bonnet and throw it in the wash for a consistent streak-free, lint-free clean that leaves any glass looking new.
- #1 SELLING AUTO GLASS CLEANER BRAND: in dollar and unit sales according to NPD Group market share data
- REUSABLE: Why waste time and money with streaky paper towels? Our Invisible Glass cleaner microfiber bonnets are reusable and leave a stunning shine that will make your windows look like new!
- EXTENDABLE: The perfect easy glass-cleaning tool for hard-to-reach places. The storage hook can be removed and a standard extension pole can be screwed on to extend your reach, making it effortless to clean glass in high or hard to reach places!
- Armor All Glass Cleaner delivers a crystal clear, streak-free shine to your automotive glass surfaces
- Formulated specifically for your car, Armor All Glass Cleaner easily removes filmy residue, road grime, bugs, fingerprints and more
- Engineered to leave your windshield, windows and mirrors with incredible clarity and shine - with no streaks or haze
- Ammonia-free formula is safe on auto glass when used as directed
- Tackles the toughest auto glass cleaning jobs without damaging automotive surfaces
- includes two 22-ounce bottles
- features a residue free formula
- cleans without streaky residue
- cleans glass so well, you'll think it's invisible
- safe for use on window tint
- Unique streak-free formula
- Great on windows, mirrors, computers, cell phones and television screens
- Safe on tinted windows
- Non-toxic and ammonia-free
- Use the products detailers use
- Streak-Free Shine
- Removes Tough Stains
- Outperforms the Competition
- CLEAR DRY FORMULA: The Invisible Glass CLEAR DRY formula contains no streaky soaps, scents, or dyes. Absolutely ZERO residue on your glass – just invisible glass.
- CONVENIENT SPRAY BOTTLE: This 32 oz. spray pump bottle makes it easy to squeeze out every drop of glass cleaner for a brilliant shine on all glass surfaces.
- AMMONIA-FREE: Our unique Invisible Glass formula contains no ammonia, so it’s perfect for use on tinted and non-tinted glass. Use it at home, on stainless steel appliances, in the car, on the boat, at the office, and more.
- MADE IN USA: Proudly American-made, you can trust the quality and superior formula of this glass cleaner and window spray. It’s the best super window cleaner you can buy.
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance of Invisible Glass Cleaner, simply let us know for a prompt and cheerful refund, guaranteed!
- AUTO GLASS CLEANER: Concentrated formula easily and consistently removes tough vinyl fog residue, smoker's film, road grime, dirt and bug splatter
- CRYSTAL CLEAR GLASS: Effective at cleaning the inside and outside of windows for crystal clear, streak-free glass
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: Simply spray on and wipe off for quick and easy window cleaning
- WINDOW TINT SAFE: Professional-grade body shop safe formula does not harm window tints
- CONCENTRATED FOR MORE USE: Every concentrated gallon gives you 11 ready-to-use gallons of glass cleaner
- Streak-Free - Our premium 100% streak-free glass cleaning spray is specifically designed with a no-residue formula to eliminate the haze other glass cleaners leave behind. No shade required - works great in direct sunlight
- Multi-Surface - Perfect Glass works great on multiple types of surfaces such as windows, mirrors, glass surfaces, tabletops, glass cooktops, light fixtures, shower enclosures, TV screens, and more.
- Number 1 Rated - Perfect Glass was the number 1 rated glass cleaner in testing by a leading consumer magazine in 2008, 2011, and 2015, and only “took 11 strokes to clean the window, while others required 17 to 70 strokes.”
- Ammonia-Free - Perfect Glass isn’t just streak-free, it’s ammonia-free. This delivers high performance that’s safe on tint film and tinted windows.
- Safe for Screens - Our streak-free glass cleaning spray is great for all of your "screens", which in most cases is Gorilla Glass or similar. Just be sure to spray the cloth and then wipe, rather than spraying directly on the device.
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API