March 10, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V138000
If the park brake is applied while the vehicle is in motion, the vehicle may suddenly decelerate and experience a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V138
Manufacturer Spartan Fire, LLC
Components PARKING BRAKE
Potential Number of Units Affected 86
Spartan Motors USA (Spartan) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Fire Gladiator and MetroStar Emergency vehicles. The park brake control line may loosen and separate, possibly causing the park brake to be unintentionally applied.
Spartan will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and tighten the fitting control line, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began March 26, 2020. Owners may contact Spartan customer service at 1-800-543-5008. Spartan’s number for this recall is 20005.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Recall Service Bulletin
|APPLIES TO:||This Recall service bulletin applies to 2019 through 2020 model year, Gladiator and Metro Star model emergency response chassis cabs built between October 14, 2019 and February 6, 2020.|
|CONDITION:||Park brake valve airline compression rings may not be compressed tight enough.|
|CORRECTION:||Inspect to ensure compression ring is compressed tightly around each park brake valve airline. If not compressed tightly, remove old compression ring and replace.|
|LABOR ALLOCATION:||1.0 hour|
Thoroughly review entire service bulletin before starting work. If there are questions or concerns with steps defined in this service bulletin, contact Spartan Fire, LCC. Customer & Product Support Group.
All applicable industry safety standards must be followed when performing work identified in this procedure.
- Locate park brake valve under center dash or shift pad. Refer to FIG 3.1.
- Label each airline at park brake valve to ensure proper reconnection.
- Remove the brass nut securing each airline on park brake valves and inspect each compression ring to determine if ring is compressed tightly around airline. Refer to FIG 3.2.
Note: If the compression nut was tightened properly the airline will not easily pull from the fitting and will have a noticeable “crimp” around the ring caused from the nut tightening around it. If the airline does not pull from the fitting, skip to step 7.
- If compression ring is not compressed tightly around airline, pull the airline from the fitting, cut the airline, ensuring a straight cut is made, directly below compression ring and discard old ring.
- Install compression nut onto airline and then slide the new compression ring onto airline.
- Reinstall airlines to their respective park brake valve ports by inserting the airline into the fittings until the airline bottoms out inside the fitting and stops.
- Reinstall the the compression nut onto fitting until it is finger tight.
- Once finger tight:
Compression ring properly compressed around airline shows a crimp. Difficult to pull from fitting.
No more than 1 thread showing when fully tight/compressed
4 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V138-7540
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 1
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-1
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-2RCLQRT-20V138-7851
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V138-0587
Latest Recalls Documents
- prevents theft or movement of semi-truck/tractor
- made in usa of heavy duty zinc alloy
- fits over trucks push pull valves in cab
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- CDL Exam Secrets Test Prep Team (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 112 Pages - 03/15/2016 (Publication Date) - Mometrix Media LLC (Publisher)
- ✔【Ideal Products】:When it comes to replacing brake shoes on heavy-duty tractors and trailers, you'll need one of these air brake spring tools so you can enjoy speed and convenience.
- ✔【Perfect Products】:Made of high quality, heavy duty steel material that is wear and corrosion resistant, resistant to heavy pressure and extremely resistant to wear. Product is factory tested and exceeds OEM designs.
- ✔【Fits For】:Suitable for tractor and trailer brakes, any heavy duty brake works great ! Offers original equipment performance at competitive price.
- ✔【How it works】:It is no longer necessary to use a vise and screwdriver to remove the brake pads, just hook the ring that holds the spring in place and press it onto the shaft.
- ✔【OUR WARRANTY】:Lifetime warranty.so you have no worries.If you have any problems with the product, you can contact us by email.Free exchange and refund policy, truly worry-free after-sales!
- One pair of heavy-duty airline brake coil: Red (emergency) and Blue (service)
- Easy connection, fast recovery after extension, flexible in cold weather, good resistant to shock and abrasion
- Working length: 15 Ft. with 1/2" dual end brass DOT fittings
- Leads: 12" pigtail tractor end and 40" pigtail trailer end with steel springs tubing protection
- Cross reference: Phillips 11-340, Tectran 17215-040, Tremec Sloan 451039N
- Uniform dual-braided design consists of interwoven spirals providing greater flexibility and improved twist resistance
- 3/8" hose I.D. - 1/2" end fittings with thermo-elastomeric gladhand grips
- Rugged elastomeric hose cover is resistant to gasoline, diesel fuel, oil and commonly used road and cleaning chemicals; UV and ozone resistant, Operating temperature of -40F to +200F (-40C to +93C)
- Meets or exceeds SAE J1402 - Type A - DOT FMVSS No. 106 - Brake Hoses, 49 CFR 571.106
- Replaces: Tectran️ 13S15401, Tremec Sloan️ 455180DSET, Philips️ 11-8115
- 【 Compatible for 】: works great on tractor and trailer brakes, any heavy duty brakes!
- 【 Material】: Corrosion-resistant & Durable Steel construction with extreme anti-wear property.
- 【 How to Use】: This tool makes install spring on the S Cam Air Brake a snap. No more using vise grip and screwdriver to remove brake shoes.Simply hook the retaining spring loop and press down against the axle.
- 【 Features 】: Best choice for doing brakes in a hurry. Serve as a lever against the axle to seperate the spring loop from the brake shoe. Safely replace brake shoes.
- 【 Package included 】: 1pcs S-Cam Air Brake Spring Tool .
Last update on 2022-08-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.