January 15, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V015000
An engine stall increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V015
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,244
Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD (Triumph) is recalling certain 2016-2018 Thruxton, 2016-2019 Thruxton R and 2020 Thruxton TFC motorcycles. The side stand spring may fracture, possibly allowing the side stand switch to activate and shut off the engine.
Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will replace the side stand spring, free of charge. The recall began February 24, 2020. Owners may contact Triumph customer service at 1-678-854-2010. Triumph's number for this recall is SRAN 570.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Safety Recall Action Notice 570
Issue 1 - 01.2020
|Subject: Side Stand Spring Replace|
|Notice Number||Models Affected||VIN Range||Markets Affected|
|570||Thruxton 1200, Thruxton 1200 (Dual Seat), Thruxton 1200R, Thruxton 1200R (Dual Seat), Thruxton TFC||From||740405||All markets|
Internal investigations have identified a need to replace the side stand spring on the above models. Dealers are requested to replace the side stand spring as described in the instructions below.
Customer Contact Instructions
|STOP DELIVERY OF AFFECTED MOTORCYCLES IMMEDIATELY.|
DO NOT deliver a motorcycle affected by this Safety Recall Action Notice to a customer until you have completed, or confirmed completion of, the procedures described in this Safety Recall Action Notice.
Delivering a motorcycle subject to an outstanding Safety Recall Action Notice may contravene local or national laws in your market, territory or country.
Triumph subsidiaries and distributors must instigate a Safety Recall Action in their country in accordance with the national recall code of practice. For vehicles in dealer stock, the safety recall MUST be actioned before delivery to the customer.
Identification of Affected Motorcycles
Thruxton models listed in the VIN range above.
- Some affected motorcycles listed in the VIN range will have been modified and repaired by Triumph prior to their release from the factory.
- Unmodified motorcycles can be identified by checking the ‘VIN Enquiry’ on www.triumphonline.net.
Warranty Claim Instructions
|Notice Number||Fault Code||Repair Code||Description||Repair Allowance Time|
|570||020840970||99570||SB570 - Remove and replace side stand spring||0.08 Hours|
Genuine Parts Information
|Notice Number||Part Number||Part Description||Quantity|
|570||T2083537||Spring, side stand||1|
Parts Ordering Instructions
For Triumph Subsidiary and Overseas Distributor dealers using Triumph Warranty On-Line with Parts Auto Ordering Flag switched on: Order all repair parts by submitting a New Prior through the Warranty OnLine system. Entering the above repair code in a New Prior will automatically add the parts required and labour times for this Safety Recall Action Notice.
For Overseas Distributor dealers NOT using Triumph Warranty On-Line or for Overseas Distributor dealers using Triumph Warranty On-Line with Parts Auto Ordering Flag switched off: Orders should be placed using the normal parts ordering procedure.
Genuine Parts Return
Dealer to retain parts for 90 days. All parts must be stored in a secure, non-public accessed area and correctly identified with a completed warranty label. Thereafter the parts must be rendered unusable prior to scrapping.
Side Stand Spring Replacement
|Make sure the motorcycle is stabilised and adequately supported.|
A correctly supported motorcycle will help prevent it from falling.
|If the motorcycle has recently been running, some components may be hot to the touch. Contact with the hot components may cause damage to exposed skin. To avoid skin damage, always allow the hot parts to cool before working on the motorcycle.|
|Wear hand, eye and face protection when unhooking the stand spring. Take great care to minimise the risk of personal injury and loss of components.|
- Raise and support the motorcycle.
- With the side stand in its retracted position as shown below, unhook the spring from the side stand noting the spring hook orientation, and remove it from the motorcycle.
- In the same orientation as the original spring, hook the new side stand spring and rubber sleeve onto its retainer peg then carefully hook it onto the side stand lug. Do not remove the rubber sleeve.
- Check the operation of the side stand. Ensure the spring holds the stand securely in the retracted position.
- Lower the motorcycle to the ground and park it on the side stand.
Once completed, please mark the Service Record Book that the requirements of this Safety Recall Action Notice have been complied with.
Before returning the motorcycle to the customer, download the latest calibration to the engine electronic control module, chassis electronic control module (if fitted), keyless electronic control module (if fitted) and instruments (if applicable) using the current version of the Triumph diagnostic software.
24th February 2020
! IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL !
REPLACEMENT SIDE STAND SPRING TO PREVENT ENGINE STALL
This notice applies to your motorcycle:
Model: 2016 to 2020 - Thruxton, Thruxton R, and Thruxton TFC
Dear [NAME F&L]:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Triumph Motorcycles Ltd. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your motorcycle, with the VIN shown above. Accordingly, Triumph Motorcycles America Ltd. is conducting a safety recall to address the condition.
|The reason for this recall notice:||The side stand spring may fracture whilst the motorcycle is being ridden resulting in an engine stall. An engine stall without warning may increase the risk of a crash.|
|What Triumph & your dealer will do:||Triumph Motorcycles America Ltd. has authorized your dealer to replace the side stand spring, free of charge to you (parts and labour). This repair should take less than 10 minutes. However, depending upon the dealer's work schedule, it may be necessary to make your motorcycle available for a longer period of time.|
|What you must do to ensure your safety:||Please make an appointment with your authorized Triumph motorcycles dealer to have this important remedy performed on your motorcycle as soon as possible.|
Federal regulations require that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days.
|If you need help:||Please contact your authorized Triumph dealer should you have any questions or encounter|
If an authorized Triumph dealer or Triumph Motorcycle America Ltd fails or is unable to perform this remedy without charge within a reasonable amount of time, you may contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, D.C., 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you. However, we have taken this action in the best interest of your safety and your continued satisfaction with your Triumph motorcycle. We appreciate your attention and cooperation in this important matter.
TriumphOnline | Notice
TOL Ref. # 13667-SVC
Safety Recall Action 570 – Thruxton Side Stand Spring
Triumph Motorcycles has initiated a voluntary safety recall affecting a specific VIN range of the below-referenced Triumph Thruxton, Thruxton R and Thruxton TFC models. Please consult the attached Safety Recall Action Notice 570 PDF immediately for complete instructions.
Internal investigations have identified a need to replace the side stand spring on the below listed models. Dealers are requested to replace the side stand spring as per the instructions attached.
We require your immediate attention to rectify the following machines:
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
The side stand spring may fracture with the side stand leg in its rest (up) position. The leg may swing downwards, engaging the side stand switch thereby creating an engine stall. Engine stalls increase the risk of a crash.
WHAT WILL TRIUMPH DO?
All arrangements for updating of our computer systems has now been completed.
Notification letters to current customers are targeted to be mailed commencing February 24 explaining the action. Customers will be advised to return their bike to a Triumph dealer to have the modification carried out free of charge.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
Triumph Dealers should take the following actions:
- It is imperative that any owner who has purchased an affected machine be contacted by you immediately and asked to return the machine for modification.
- Quarantine all unsold stock (including stock for sale on your website and with 3rd parties) and arrange modification as per Safety Recall Action Notice 570 prior to any further deliveries to customers.
- Owners of machines outside of the affected VIN range are not connected with this action and may therefore require reassurance.
- Some VINs affected by this Safety Recall Action Notice may also require other bulletin or Safety Recall Action Notice work to be carried out. Please use the above-described system tools to identify all outstanding bulletins or notices and make arrangements to carry out these repairs at the same time.
- This action is likely to increase visitor traffic to your showroom and service areas. Please ensure all arrangements are made to best accommodate them.
U.S. law prohibits the delivery of a recalled motorcycle under a sale or lease until the remedy has been performed.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, but we are taking this action in the interest of our customers’ personal safety and satisfaction with our products. We thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
8 Affected Products
11 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report - Amendment 2
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-1
Recall 573 Report - Amendment 1
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- SAFETY RECALL ACTION 570 – THRUXTON SIDE STAND SPRING
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-3
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-2
Miscellaneous Document - Email Campaign
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- No drilling required. Attaches firmly and easily to the swingarm.
- Clamp measures approx 2-1/2" tall by 1-3/16 deep
- New Universal Clamp On Side Kick Stand for Motorcycles, well suited for OFF ROAD bikes
- Heavy Duty Spring keeps stand in place when riding.
- Measures about 14" from ground level to bottom of swingarm mount bracket.
- 【Non-slip Design】The bottom of the motorcycle stand is threaded for non-slip standing, which enhances the friction with the ground and strong grip, keep your motorbike at the right angle to ensure a safe standing positionr. Load-bearing weight up to 500KG, more safe and convenient.
- 【Adjustment Design】The adjustable bracket allows you to shorten the kickstand while lowering your vehicle without having to worry about replacing stock support
- 【Durable】CNC aluminum alloy motorcycle side bracket made of high quality aluminum, anodized, not easy to rust, wear, high strength, corrosion resistance, durable
- 【Easy Installation】Motorcycle foot side brackets are equipped with mounting screws for easy installation and can be used to replace old or damaged ones
- 【Compatibility】This motorcycle stand is suitable for most motorcycles, with strong compatibility and wide application range. This kickstand makes your motorcycle convenient to parking
- Now you can park on hot asphalt with peace of mind even when it is blazing hot outside. Prevents tip-overs caused by kickstands sinking into hot pavement or asphalt by effectively displacing the load of the kickstand over a larger area.
- This simple and versatile tool adds stability to your bike by effectively providing a firm flat surface that helps you park safely on soft or uneven surfaces like grass, gravel & sand. It even reduces kickstand scuffing on painted garage floors and tile.
- Wonderfully convenient! You can take it with you wherever you ride and not worry about finding something to put under your kickstand when you park. Compact size is about the size of an index card and fits easily in most pockets, tank bags, storage compartments, saddle bags, under seat, or just about anywhere.
- Shape & size optimized with a patent pending design. All edges are rounded and friendly on bike finishes. Raised border on center section helps guide your kickstand into the optimal position for weight displacement.
- Proudly made in the USA by American craftsmen. Lightweight & durable, made of weather resistant material for many years of use and enjoyment.
- The Venom adjustable motorcycle side kickstand dolly is the solution for parking in your crowded garage
- Fits Almost All Motorcycles and Scooters with Side Stand
- Five Easy Running Heavy-Duty Casters Ensure Low Effort When Maneuvering
- Built-In Brake Locking Mechanism
- Compatible with Harley Davidson Dyna Glide Fat Bob Super Wide
- Protective Effects: Just rest your kickstand on the pad when you park your motorcycle. It could helps to avoid motorcycle side stand scuff, reduces scuffing on garage floors
- Add Stability: This simple and versatile tool with special pattern on the back, adds stability to your motorcycle by effectively. it helps you park safely on soft or uneven surfaces like grass, gravel & sand.
- PP Plastic Plate: Stiff plastic material,durable to use. Melting point can be as high as 167 , Heat resistant, corrosion resistant. You can park on hot asphalt with peace of mind even when it is blazing hot outside
- Size: 3"W x 5"L. Supports motorcycles and kickstands of all sizes. A great kickstand pad is a must-have product for any motorcycle enthusiast
- Wonderfully Convenient: Compact size is about the size of an index card and fits easily in most pockets, tank bags, saddle bags, under seat, or just about anywhere
- Material: aluminum
- The adjustable kickstands will allow you to shorten the kickstand when you lower your bike and not have to worry about altering your stock kickstand.
- Changing your lowering link causes the bike to stand straight or lopsided, which makes you cut and re-weld your stock kickstand.
- Keeps your bike angled correctly for a safe standing position.
- The bolt on design makes installation quick and simple requiring only basic hand tools.
- 【Made of High Quality Material】Made of high strength CNC Aluminum alloy for maximum durability.
- 【Durable】Surface anodizing technology to improve corrosion resistance.Load-bearing weight up to 500KG, more safe and convenient.
- 【Adjustment】Adjustment design, meet your daily requirements.
- 【Easy to Install】 No drilling or welding required. Direct replacement for the old or broken one.
- 【WARRANTY】Buy with confidence! We offer the 365-Day warranty and lifetime support. If you have any question on use, kindly contact us at any time directly, we will solve the problem for you within 24 hours on weekdays.
- 【CNC Aluminum】CNC aluminum alloy motorcycle side bracket made of high quality aluminum, anodized, not easy to rust, wear, high strength, corrosion resistance, durable
- 【Adjustable】The adjustable bracket allows you to shorten the kickstand while lowering your vehicle without having to worry about replacing stock support
- 【Non-slip Design】The bottom of the motorcycle stand is threaded for non-slip standing, which enhances the friction with the ground and strong grip, keep your motorbike at the right angle to ensure a safe standing positionr
- 【Easy to Install】Motorcycle foot side brackets are equipped with mounting screws for easy installation and can be used to replace old or damaged ones
- 【Compatibility】This motorcycle stand is suitable for most motorcycles (not fit for Yamaha Zuma 50fx scooters), the vertical distance from the motorcycle buttom to ground should be more than 18.5cm (7.3inch).
- Strict quality standards， All products are tested in accordance with strict quality standards before being put on the market.
- CNC Aluminum makes the Protector very Durable.Laser Alloying Surface Finish makes it hard to be faded.Its stylish design,perfect,nice apperence,durable.
- With larger side brackets, you can provide a safe bracket for the motorcycle without worrying about parking the motorcycle.
- Compared with the original bracket, this product can increase the power range of the floor and make your motorcycle parking area smoother.
- The stylish design provides the perfect decoration for your motorcycle.
- 【Compatibility】This motorcycle stand is suitable for most motorcycles, with strong compatibility and wide application range.
- 【Preferred Material】CNC aluminum alloy motorcycle side bracket made of high quality aluminum, anodized, not easy to rust, wear, high strength, corrosion resistance, durable.
- 【Smart Design】The bottom of the motorcycle stand is threaded for non-slip standing, which enhances the friction with the ground and strong grip, keep your motorbike at the right angle to ensure a safe standing positionr.The adjustable bracket allows you to shorten the kickstand while lowering your vehicle without having to worry about replacing stock support.
- 【Easy to Install】Motorcycle foot side brackets are equipped with mounting screws for easy installation and can be used to replace old or damaged ones.
- 【Warranty】Buy with confidence! We offer the 365-Day warranty and lifetime support. If you have any question on use, kindly contact us at any time directly, we will solve the problem for you within 24 hours on weekdays.
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API