January 31, 2018
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V084
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,824
Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD (Triumph) is recalling certain 2016-2018 Thruxton and Thruxton R motorcycles. The engine may stall if the throttle is open or closed quickly while the clutch lever is pulled in.
Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will update the engine management software, free of charge. Owners may contact Triumph customer service at 1-678-854-2010. Triumph's number for this recall is 33.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Safety Recall Action Notice SB 555
Issue 2 - 02.2018
|Subject: Revised Engine Calibration Software|
|Bulletin Number||Models Affected||VIN Range||Markets Affected|
|555||Thruxton 1200||From||743684||All Markets|
|555||Thruxton 1200 (Dual Seat)||From||754589||All Markets|
|555||Thruxton 1200R||From||740405||All Markets|
|555||Thruxton 1200R (Dual Seat)||From||749685||All Markets|
Dealers are requested to download the new calibrations to affected models, using Triumph diagnostic software version 2018-02 or higher.
Customer Contact Instructions
|STOP DELIVERY OF AFFECTED MOTORCYCLES IMMEDIATELY.|
DO NOT deliver a motorcycle affected by this Safety Recall Action Notice to a customer until you have completed, or confirmed completion of, the procedures described in this Safety Recall Action Notice.
Delivering a motorcycle subject to an outstanding Safety Recall Action Notice may contravene local or national laws in your market, territory or country.
Triumph subsidiaries and distributors must instigate a Safety Recall Action in their country in accordance with the national recall code of practice. For vehicles in dealer stock, the safety recall MUST be actioned before delivery to the customer.
Identification of Affected Motorcycles
Warranty Claim Instructions
|Bulletin Number||Fault Code||Repair Code||Description||Repair Time|
|555||012492998||99555||Update engine ECM calibration||0.14 hours|
Once completed, please mark the Service Record Book that the requirements of this bulletin have been complied with.
Calibration Replacement Procedure
|Before starting work, ensure the motorcycle is stabilised and adequately supported. This will help prevent it from falling and causing injury to the operator or damage to the motorcycle.|
|Triumph diagnostic tool version 2018-02 or later must be used to complete the following procedure. Only Triumph diagnostic tool version 2018-02 or later will contain the engine ECM calibrations necessary to correctly carry out this Safety Action Recall Notice.|
The use of older versions of the Triumph diagnostic tool will result in out of date calibrations being downloaded to the chassis ECM. This could lead to a dangerous riding condition, which may result in loss of motorcycle control and an accident.
- Download and install the latest version of the Triumph diagnostic tool software to your computer as described in the Triumph Diagnostic Tool Installation Guide. This Safety Action Recall Notice requires Triumph diagnostic tool version 2018-02 or later to be installed.
|Always use Automatic Model Selection when downloading calibrations.|
Manual model selection must only be used when attempting to restart an interrupted or failed download, or if an incorrect model is detected by Automatic Model Selection.
Always ensure that the correct model is detected or selected before selecting a calibration for download and never attempt to download calibrations listed for an incorrect model.
Downloading calibrations for an incorrect model will cause a dangerous riding condition which may lead to loss of motorcycle control and an accident.
|If the download is cancelled or interrupted (either by accidental disconnection of the interface, a discharged battery, or by turning the ignition off) before it has completed, it will prevent the instruments/ ECM from operating in the normal way. This is because the instrument’s/ECM’s operating system has been erased from memory and has not yet been fully replaced. The download must be restarted using Manual Model Selection.|
- The current password for all downloads can be found at www.triumphonline.net.
- Connect the Triumph diagnostic tool and turn the ignition ON.
- Download the correct engine ECM calibration for your motorcycle using Automatic Model Selection.
- Always wait for the Verifying Download screen to appear to confirm the download has successfully completed.
- Click Finish when the download has completed.
- It is normal for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) to be stored after a download has completed. This is due to the download process interrupting CAN communications between the ECMs.
- After a download has completed, you will be prompted to check all ECMs and erase any stored DTCs.
Initial and date when read and return to central file holder
|Service Manager||Parts Manager||Sales Manager||Workshop Supervisor||Technician 1||Technician 2|
Dear Dealer (US dealer version)
Re: Initial Notification of New Safety Recall.
Safety Recall Action Notice: 555.
Replacement of engine management calibration – Thruxton only.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
What is the Problem?
The engine management software on these motorcycles may not always prevent “blip stalling”; the ability to maintain a stable engine idle when the throttle is opened and closed (“blipped”) very quickly, with the clutch disengaged. To prevent the engine from stalling when “blipping” the throttle, a revised engine calibration must be downloaded into these motorcycles. Engine stalling presents an increased risk of a loss of control of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
What Will Triumph Do?
To address this condition, Triumph is issuing a new ECM calibration software (Version 2018.2), as described in Safety Recall Action Notice 555, which will be available in the Service Bulletin library in Triumphonline.net in the next 24 hours. (Safety Recall Action Notice 555 is currently provided in English only. Non-English versions will follow in the next few days.)
All arrangements for updating of our computer systems will be completed tomorrow.
Notification letters to current customers will be mailed commencing 9th February explaining the action and advising them to return their bike to a Triumph dealer to have the modification carried out free of charge to the owner.
What Should You Do?
All affected motorcycles are to be repaired in accordance with Safety Recall Action Notice 555.
It is imperative that any owner having recently purchased an affected machine be contacted by you immediately and asked to return the machine for modification.
Triumph Dealers should take the following actions:
- You must quarantine all unsold stock and arrange modification as per Safey Recall Action Notice 555 prior to any further deliveries to customers. You can check those machines in your unsold stock that require modification by using TriumphOnLine.Net. Do this by undertaking the following simple steps:
- Once signed into the site, select Motor Cycle Sales and then Stock Management (this will provide you a display summary of your unsold machines by model).
- Select the affected model to view the individual VIN details of your unsold machines. We strongly recommend you check this listing against your physical stock and advise us of any discrepancies. Machines containing a symbol of a ‘spanner’ (indicating Bulletin or Safety Recall Action Notice outstanding) will require attention. Select the VIN to open a dialogue window. Details of all outstanding bulletin(s) and Safety Recall Action Notices are contained in the bottom half of the screen. To view the bulletin content, click on the Union Jack "flag" to open an English language PDF document or alternative flags for other language options (when available). This can be read and/or printed off as required.
- Owners of machines outside of the affected VIN range are not connected with this action and may therefore require reassurance.
- Some VINs affected by this Safety Recall Action Notice may also require other bulletin or Safety Recall Action Notice work to be carried out. Please use the above-described system tools to identify all outstanding bulletins or notices and make arrangements to carry out these repairs at the same time.
- Read, download and circulate the above-mentioned Safety Recall Action Notice to relevant staff and ensure all Sales and Service staff are aware of this action.
- This action is likely to increase visitor traffic to your showroom and service areas. Please ensure all arrangements are made to best accommodate them.
U.S. law prohibits the delivery of a recalled motorcycle under a sale or lease until the remedy has been performed.
* * *
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, but we are taking this action in the interest of our customers’ personal safety and satisfaction with our products. We thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
If you have any questions, please contact Triumph Warranty/Technical Dept.
3 Affected Products
9 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL ACTION 555
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-1
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Initial Notification of New Safety Recall. Safety Recall Action Notice: 555. Replacement of engine management calibration – Thruxton only
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2019-1
Latest Recalls Documents
- PREPS SURFACE: Pre-waxing glaze that prepares the surface for wax while offering deep reflections and high gloss
- BEST CAR GLOSS: Conditioning oils add depth of color and maximum gloss prior to waxing, especially on dark colored cars
- REMOVE SWIRLS: Quickly and gently removes fine swirls and towel marks for mirror-like reflections
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS: Safe and on all glossy paints, including clear coats
- FLEXIBLE APPLICATION: Safe and effective by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- REMOVE PAINT DEFECTS: The ultimate product for removing oxidation, scratches, water spots, and blemishes without scratching
- BEST CAR SCRATCH REMOVER: Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives restoring surface clarity without scratching or swirling
- SAVES TIME: The clear coat safe formula dramatically reduces the time and effort to restore abused or neglected paint finishes
- STUNNING FINISH: Exclusive micro-abrasive technology leaves a "like new" finish and adds gloss in one easy step
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COAT: Safe and effective on clear coat and single stage paints, and can be applied by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS: Advanced technology formula provides a deep gloss and rich, swirl-free results
- NO MORE SWIRLS: Permanently removes swirls and light defects from all paint
- STUNNING SHINE: Produces deep reflections and high gloss
- EASY TO USE: Smooth buffing feel, easy wipe-off, and fast clean-up
- MULTIPLE WAYS TO APPLY: Formulated for use by Hand, DA Polisher, or Rotary Buffer
- EASY SCRATCH & SWIRL REPAIR - If your car has light scratches, swirls, or other marks - you can easily fix that with our Scratch & Swirl Remover Kit! Using the included buffer pad, our specially formulated compound will allow you to easily remove and "erase" years of wear and tear from your vehicles paint and overall appearance! (Please note if you have very deep scratches that can be easily felt with the tip of your fingernail the product may not help as much.)
- ULTIMATE PAINT RESTORER - Not only will this remove swirls and scratches, it will restore the gloss and shine of your paint and bring it back to its original brilliance! The special rubbing compound will remove water spots, oxidation and other contaminants from your paint! Easily buff it all out by hand with our included buffer pad!
- PREMIUM CHEMICALS - We formulate all our products to ensure they are the best! Professional grade, but easy enough for anyone to use! We use only the absolute best chemicals and ensure there are no unnecessary color dyes or scents! You get the best cutting polishing compound in a specifically formulated formula with a kit that lets you go right to work!
- SAFE FOR ALL PAINT COLORS - Our Ultimate Car Paint Scratch Repair Kit is safe to use on all paints and colors. You can safely use it on any clearcoat, single stage, or multi stage paint!
- MADE IN USA - CARFIDANT 100% SATISFACTION - Don't take our word that this is the best in car detailing products and car cleaning supplies, if you are not 100% satisfied we will refund you in full! We are professionals! We are enthusiasts! We spent years developing our professional automotive detailing products and believe in them 100%! We use them. Our friends use them. If you are not 100% satisfied with any of our products, we will give you a full refund! Send us a message!
- This all in one kit gives you all the premium product and accessories you need to remove paint defects, maximize shine and get long-lasting protection
- Ultimate Compound gently cleans paint with micro-abrasives to remove oxidation, scratches, water spots and blemishes without scratching
- Ultimate Polish further refines paint and adds conditioning oils for maximum gloss and depth of colour
- Ultimate Liquid Wax seals the paint with advanced synthetic polymers that provides long-lasting protection with incredible depth of shine
- Soft Foam Applicators & Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels to gently apply and remove products while pampering paint for brilliant swirl-free, mirror-like results
- DUAL ACTION POLISHER ANYONE CAN USE - With an 8mm dual action orbital throw, compact design, and built in safety features to prevent user damage, the TORQX allows anyone to polish paint, remove scratches and swirls, and spread wax and sealant for perfect paint results!
- CORRECT PAINT WITH COMPLETE CONTROL - The TORQX features simple and intuitive controls, rugged components, and a durable build so you can easily and accurately polish single stage and clear coat paint finishes, polished metals, glass, and clear optical plastics with complete control!
- VERSATILE PADS FOR ALL POLISHING JOBS - Cut away deep scratches, swirls, and imperfections, polish paint to perfection, and expertly apply wax, sealants, and glazes to deliver protection and shine with 5 varied and versatile cutting, polishing, and finishing pads in the TORQX Complete Detail Kit!
- CLEAN & CONDITION PADS FOR LASTING USE - Pristinely clean and condition your pads for enhanced polishing and lasting use with Polishing Pad Cleaner and Polishing Pad Conditioner! Make sure your pads perform their best and use them again and again to save time, money and effort!
- EXTRA SOFT MICROFIBER TOUCH - Buff paint and finish your detail off right with a soft touch and streak free shine with Monster Extreme Thickness Microfiber Towels! Prevent scratches and swirls on your freshly polished paint and perfectly buff away used product for perfect polishing results!
- ADVANCED FORMULA 3 IN 1. Our fortify quick coat is your all in one ceramic coating hydrophobic spray. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat ceramic car wax provides a waterless wash, coat and shine, all in one convenient product.
- NO STREAKING, SMEARING OR SCRATCHING. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat premium formula ceramic car coating is a gentle and effective car polish for any vehicle! Get a clean, shiny finish without hurting your car's paint.
- CUTS DIRT, GRIME & GREASE. Our Quick Coat ceramic wax car sealant eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly! Our signature 3-in-1 formula gives you a waterless car wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES. Use this car wax spray on automobiles, boats, motorbikes, RVs, four wheelers and more! This spray wax is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science.
- SUPERIOR PRODUCTS. This means superior shine for your cars! Our ceramic quick coat also works as a sealer to give your vehicle a clear shield of protection while also providing a beautiful gloss. Our ceramic coat is the best hydrophobic car spray available!
- Leaves a deep, brilliant shine and provides long lasting protection
- Advanced blend of polishes, dyes and pigments fill in light scratches and swirl marks
- Rejuvenates older, faded finishes that have been neglected
- Helps restore and repair a car’s finish to the original showroom-like condition
- TESTING. Rated #1 car polish by leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value.
- RESULTS. Both liquid and paste versions are the only products to have been rated #1 by the leading U. S. consumer testing magazine
- BUFFING. No heavy rubbing, no heavy buffing formula and can be applied in direct sunlight.
- NO WAX. Only car polish product on the market that contains no wax and available in both liquid or soft paste.
- APPLICATIONS. Product can be used to protect fiberglass boats, airplanes, motorcycles, as well as various household items and much more.
- Heavy duty paste that cleans dull, oxidized finishes
- Quickly and easily penetrates through the oxidized surface to remove scratches, blemishes and stubborn stains
- Restores faded finishes
- Recommended for rubbing down between coats of newly sprayed lacquer and acrylic car finishes
- Easy to use formula
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API