June 21, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V483000
Loss of service brake pressure can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V483
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Components SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
Potential Number of Units Affected 957
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2003-2019 Altec TA45, TA50, TA55, TA60, L37, L39, LRV, LR7, A-T40C, T40P and AP45 vehicles equipped with air-cushioned pintle hitch and/or accessory air components. The accessories utilizing chassis air supply may be missing pressure protection valves. The accessory lines may not prevent service brake line pressure loss due to failure or leakage in the accessory air system. Additionally, the air cushioned pintle hook may have been connected to the incorrect air lines. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 121, "Air Brake Systems."
Altec will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the pressure protection installation and repair any unit that does not pass inspection, free of charge. The recall began August 15, 2019. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 724.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
August 9, 2019
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain TA45,
TA50, TA55, TA60, L37M, L39M, LRV55, LRV58, LRV60, LR7,A-T40C, T40P, AP45A Units, and
Service Bodies . These units may not have the air system properly connected properly to the cushioning mechanism of the pintle hitch. The improper connection can possibly cause the cushioning system to not operate properly and damage to the hitch or trailer can occur. Loss of service brake pressure can increase the risk of a crash.
Refer to CSN 724 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, the necessary parts to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 724, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 2 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
August 9, 2019
Units Affected: TA45, TA50, TA55, TA60, L37M, L39M, LRV55, LRV58, LRV60, LR7,
A-T40C, T40P, AP45A, and Service Bodies with Air Cushioned Pintle Hitch
Air Line Plumbing Inspection
For Pintle Hitch and Air Accessories
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Altec has installed pintle hitches that are equipped with a cushioning mechanism which operates in conjunction with the air brake system. Altec has found the air system on some units may not be connected properly to the cushioning mechanism. If the air system connection is not correct, the cushioning system may not operate properly and damage to the hitch or trailer can occur. AP45A units may not be equipped with the pintle hitch, but can have air-operated accessories that may be affected and must also be inspected.
Altec requires that each affected unit be inspected for proper operation. The inspection must be done at the next preventive maintenance inspection but no later than 90 days after receipt of this CSN. Use the Inspection Procedure that begins on Page 2.
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $180 for the labor to perform this repair. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
Normal mechanics hand tools are required for this inspection. The inspection requires two persons for completion. The inspection has two parts for units having pintle hitches installed on the rear of the chassis. There is a additional inspection for AP45A units on Page 3. Read and understand all steps of the instructions before beginning the procedure.
Pintle Hitch Inspection Part 1: Installation
2.Locate one person in the chassis cab and one person at the rear of the chassis to observe the pintle hitch.
3.Start the chassis engine and observe the chassis air pressure from the gauge in the cab. If the air pressure is lower than 75 PSI, allow the engine to recharge the chassis air pressure to at least 75 PSI.
5.Observe if the pintle hitch push rod (refer to Figure 1) extends or does nothing when the service brake is pressed and the park brake(s) are set.
6.If the push rod does extend, use the chart on Page 4 to find the correct kit to make it operate properly.
7.If your push rod does not extend, the pintle hook is installed properly.
8.After determining the pintle hitch push rod action, proceed to Part 2.
Pintle Hitch Inspection Part 2: Protection
9.Press the service brake pedal on and off repetitively to drain the air in the chassis air tanks to a pressure between 50 and 60 PSI. The air pressure can be read on the chassis air pressure gauges located in the chassis cab near the steering wheel.
11.If the pintle hitch push rod does not extend when the park brakes are released, the chassis has the proper pressure protection valve installed in the system.
12.If the push rod does extend, the chassis does not have the proper pressure protection valve and one must be installed in the system. Use the chart on Page 4 to find the correct kit.
13.Shut off chassis engine and return the unit to service.
14.Complete the inspection form at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec.
AP45A Only Inspection
1.Position the unit on a level surface, apply the parking brake and chock the wheels.
2.Turn the key to ignition (IGN) without starting the chassis and turn the unit switch located on the cab control panel to the ON position.
3.Press the service brake pedal on and off repetitively to drain the air in the chassis air tanks to a pressure between 50 and 60 PSI. The air pressure can be read on the chassis air pressure gauges located in the chassis cab near the steering wheel.
4.Use the lower controls to engage the driver clutch for the reel lifter or strand carrier.
7.If the driver clutch air cylinder does extend, the chassis does not have the proper pressure protection valve and one must be installed in the system. Use the chart on Page 5 to find the correct kit.
8.Return the unit to service.
9.Complete the inspection form at the end of this CSN and return it to Altec.
Deciding Proper Kits Needed
When the inspections are completed, follow the questions in BOTH sections to choose the proper kits that are needed for each unit. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832), prompt 1, to order the kits.
17 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Non-Compliance Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V483-8095
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3RCLQRT-19V483-3317
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-1RCLQRT-19V483-6478
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-19V483-3171
Latest Recalls Documents
- prevents theft or movement of semi-truck/tractor
- made in usa of heavy duty zinc alloy
- fits over trucks push pull valves in cab
- Fit type: Universal Fit
- Package Dimensions: 6.7 L x 2.05 H x 4.35 W (inches)
- Package Weight: 0.23 pounds
- Country of Origin : China
- Part Number: 22991
- Function: Safely replace brake shoes on heavy-duty tractors and trailers
- Hook Design: This tool has a little hook that engages the spring at the J eye on the end, and the bar goes under the axle to leverage the spring out of position
- Easy to Use: Simply hook the retaining spring loop and press down against the axle.
- Material: Made of high quality steel. Corrosion-resistant & Durable Steel construction with extreme anti-wear property.
- Package Include: 1pcs Air Brake Spring Tool
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- 98 Pages - 04/12/2018 (Publication Date) - Mometrix Media LLC (Publisher)
- Using the parking brake hand brake valve handle of the real truck, it has the same operation and feel as the real car.
- Pull the handle back to self-lock and the parking brake is activated.
- The handle ball is enlarged, and the operation feels comfortable. Lift the buckle to unlock the handle to reset and release the parking brake.
- The integrated clamp has an effective clamping thickness of 55mm, which can be stably installed on a desktop or profile bracket.
- "Game compatibility:European truck simulation, American truck simulation, bus simulation, OMSI and others Suitable for truck simulation games that support custom parking brake equipment.USB drive-free design, plug and play.
- Fork-end designed tool able to fit securely under the pull pawl, allowing hands-free operation
- 5/16 offset square reversible wrench with E-Z Grip handle for adjusting the brake, and capable
- Truck air brake adjusting wrench set
- EZ Grip handle for adjusting the brake and capable to release the anti reverse mechanism without prying
- 1 Year Warranty on Material and Workmanship
- For the Glad Hands with Valve, the valve is available to control opening and closing. The red valve can be connected with an air blow gun.
- Kit Contains: 1 pair Gladhands with Valve(Red + Blue) + 1 pair Brass Fittings. Color coded red & blue Gladhand for ease of emergency and service line identification.
- Glad Hands Port Size: 3/8'' FPT, 3/4'' MPT or 1/2'' FPT(The connector at the port can be removed as required). Red Side Port: 1/4'' FPT, air blow gun can be connected, so NO PLUG for the hole; Blue has no side port.
- Brass Fitting: one port: 3/8'' MPT. Another port can connect 6mm air hose.
- Handshake Kit was constructed of die cast aluminum with stainless steel wear plates. Service and Emergency configurations (polarized) or Universal (non-polarized). Meets SAE J318 requirements. We offer an 1-year after-sales service for this product. Any problems, please contact us.
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API