May 3, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V344000
If the tempered glass roof hatch shatters, glass fragments may fall onto passengers, increasing the risk of an injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V344
Manufacturer Motor Coach Industries
Potential Number of Units Affected 75
Motor Coach Industries (MCI) is recalling certain 2019 J3500 and D4505 buses, and 2018-2019 J4500 buses equipped with Transpec T287x Series glass roof hatches. Temperature and vibration stresses may cause the tempered glass roof hatch to shatter.
MCI will notify owners, instructing them to contact the hatch manufacturer for a replacement roof hatch, free of charge. The recall began June 20, 2019. Owners may contact MCI customer service at 1-800-241-2947. MCI's number for this recall is SB 471.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Service Bulletin No. 471
Glass Roof Hatch Replacement
|J & D Series||Field Change Program||03- Body||June 18, 2019|
Specialty Manufacturing, Inc. NHTSA Recall No.: 19E-017
Ref. MCI Transport Canada Recall No.: 2019-214
Specialty Manufacturing, Inc. (“SMI”) has notified Motor Coach Industries ("MCI") that SMI is conducting a recall of certain of its Transpec glass hatches manufactured between August 1, 2018 and February 22, 2019. SMI advises that the affected glass roof hatches may contain a defect in the edge of the glass that can result in the failure of the tempered glass. If the tempered glass roof hatches shatters, glass fragments may fall onto passengers or the driver, increasing the risk of an injury. MCI has filed a recall with respect to the MCI coaches that have the recalled SMI glass roof hatches.
SMI has determined that some glass hatches may contain edge defects (chips) in the glass panels that have resulted from the manufacturing process. Hot/cold stress and vibration/shock can create stress concentrations at these edge defects that may result in fracture and failure of the tempered glass if edge damage is present.
MCI urges owners of the affected coaches to contact SMI as per instructions outlined in this bulletin to have their coaches remedied as soon as possible.
Read this entire procedure before beginning work.
Use Safe Shop Practices At All Times.
To avoid personal injury:
- Turn the main battery disconnect switch to the OFF position.
- Ensure that both the front and the rear wheels are chocked.
- Positioning the ENGINE RUN and ENGINE START switches on the engine compartment remote control box to the OFF
- Allow enough time for components to cool down prior to working in the engine compartment.
Identifying Suspect Parts
Check the label on the bottom of the Transpec Glass Hatch p/n T28XX-XXX-XXX (circled below in blue) for dates between August 1, 2018 and February 22, 2019 (circled below in red). Units built within this date range are subject to the replacement campaign.
Availability of Service Kits
Service kits will be expedited and may be obtained from SMI by one of three methods outlined below:
- Web: Visit https://busandrail.safefleet.net/resources/technical-support/ and click on the Safety Recall: 19E-017 – Glass Hatch link under the Recall Forms section.
- E-mail: Send an e-mail to SMI at [email protected] indicating the quantity of Transpec glass hatch service kits you need along with the following information for each vehicle:
- Company Name
- Contact Name
- Contact Phone
- Contact E-mail Address
- Mailing Address
- Shipping Address (if different than mailing address)
- Vehicle Manufacturer
- VIN o Body Number
- Hatch Part Number (s)
- Hatch Build Date
- Phone: Contact SMI Customer Service at 1-800-951-7867.
Transpec glass hatch replacement kits will be sent to you by SMI upon request and will include complete instructions on the removal and reinstallation of the defective components. SMI advises that removal and reinstallation of each Transpec glass hatch lid can be accomplished in 15 minutes, for which SMI will reimburse installers $30.00 for each remedied hatch.
Field Change Program Conditions:
The parts required for this change will be supplied by SMI without charge.
Motor Coach apologizes for any inconvenience resulting from this campaign but urges you to implement this change as soon as possible.
June 20, 2019
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle(s) [«UNIT»]
ATTENTION: TECH SERVICE DEPT/MAINT
«CITY», «STATE» «ZIP»
SUBJECT: SAFETY RECALL: SAFE FLEET GLASS HATCHES
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Motor Coach Industries, Inc. (“MCI”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain MCI model year 2019 D series coaches and model year 2018 – 2019 J series coaches equipped with a Transpec glass roof hatch. The supplier of the affected roof hatches (Specialty Manufacturing, Inc. (“SMI”)) has notified that SMI is conducting a recall of certain of its Transpec glass hatches manufactured between August 1, 2018 and February 22, 2019. SMI advises that the affected glass roof hatches may contain a defect in the edge of the glass that can result in the failure of the tempered glass. If the tempered glass roof hatches shatters, glass fragments may fall onto passengers or the driver, increasing the risk of an injury. Please see the enclosed MCI Service Bulletin 471 for further information.
MCI is conducting a recall of the affected vehicles to repair the defect condition. Please see the enclosed MCI Service Bulletin 471 for further information. SMI is providing a service kit with replacement parts and labor reimbursement, and estimates that it will take 15 minutes to remove and replace each affected glass hatch.
MCI records indicate that you are the owner or operator of the following vehicle(s) included in this recall:
MCI strongly urges you to have the recall work performed on your vehicle(s) as quickly as possible.
You may contact the MCI Customer Service Line at 1-800-241-2947 if you have any questions about this recall campaign or wish to make arrangements to have your vehicle(s) repaired at an authorized MCI service center. Submittal of MCI Warranty Claim Forms may be completed on MCI’s website at http://fleetsupportiw.mcicoach.com/iwarranty/signon (click on Customer Care System), or a photocopy of the Warranty Claim Form found in the Warranty Manual can be mailed / faxed to the MCI Warranty Department. Please refer to Service Bulletin 471, and your OWNER LIMITED WARRANTY MANUAL, for more detailed information.
After contacting MCI Customer Service, if you are still unable to have the safety defect remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint:
For US customers:
You may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call 888 327-4236 (TTY: 800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov if remedy difficulties exist.
For Canadian customers:
Please contact our customer service at 1-800-241-2947, or for additional information about the recall, you can contact Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0510.
If you are the lessor of the vehicle(s) identified above, Federal law requires that you forward this notice by first class mail to the most recent lessee(s) known to you, within ten days of your receipt of this notice.
If you have sold or otherwise transferred the vehicle(s) identified above, please contact the MCI Customer Service Line at 1-800-241-2947 with all of the information you have regarding the current owner/operator of the vehicle(s).
If you had your vehicle repaired for this condition prior to receipt of this notice and incurred any costs, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Please contact the MCI Customer Service Line at 1-800-241-2947 for further information in that regard.
We regret the inconvenience this may cause you, but urge you to implement the recall procedures with respect to your vehicle(s) as soon as possible for your added safety and satisfaction.
Enclosure: MCI Service Bulletin 471
4 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-4
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-2
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- PRO-STRENGTH: Pro-Strength glass cleaner spray to easily remove dirt, grime, grease and film
- GENTLE AND SAFE: Ammonia-free, safe on window tint
- QUICK CLEANING: Quickly cleans and removes bugs, tree sap, road grime, smoker's film and bird droppings
- STREAK-FREE: anti-hazing auto window cleaner is streak-free for perfect clarity
- SUPERIOR CLEANING: Auto glass cleaner spreads and wipe off quickly, with superior cleaning ability to tackle even the dirtiest glass
- THE ORIGINAL: Trust the original windshield cleaner for reaching tight and difficult spaces at home and in your car. The Reach & Clean tool window wand cleans glass almost effortlessly.
- WASHABLE: Simply remove the washable microfiber glass cleaning bonnet and throw it in the wash for a consistent streak-free, lint-free clean that leaves any glass looking new.
- #1 SELLING AUTO GLASS CLEANER BRAND: in dollar and unit sales according to NPD Group market share data
- REUSABLE: Why waste time and money with streaky paper towels? Our Invisible Glass cleaner microfiber bonnets are reusable and leave a stunning shine that will make your windows look like new!
- EXTENDABLE: The perfect easy glass-cleaning tool for hard-to-reach places. The storage hook can be removed and a standard extension pole can be screwed on to extend your reach, making it effortless to clean glass in high or hard to reach places!
- Armor All Glass Cleaner delivers a crystal clear, streak-free shine to your automotive glass surfaces
- Formulated specifically for your car, Armor All Glass Cleaner easily removes filmy residue, road grime, bugs, fingerprints and more
- Engineered to leave your windshield, windows and mirrors with incredible clarity and shine - with no streaks or haze
- Ammonia-free formula is safe on auto glass when used as directed
- Tackles the toughest auto glass cleaning jobs without damaging automotive surfaces
- Unique streak-free formula
- Great on windows, mirrors, computers, cell phones and television screens
- Safe on tinted windows
- Non-toxic and ammonia-free
- Use the products detailers use
- includes two 22-ounce bottles
- features a residue free formula
- cleans without streaky residue
- cleans glass so well, you'll think it's invisible
- safe for use on window tint
- CLEAR DRY FORMULA: The Invisible Glass CLEAR DRY formula contains no streaky soaps, scents, or dyes. Absolutely ZERO residue on your glass – just invisible glass.
- CONVENIENT SPRAY BOTTLE: This 32 oz. spray pump bottle makes it easy to squeeze out every drop of glass cleaner for a brilliant shine on all glass surfaces.
- AMMONIA-FREE: Our unique Invisible Glass formula contains no ammonia, so it’s perfect for use on tinted and non-tinted glass. Use it at home, on stainless steel appliances, in the car, on the boat, at the office, and more.
- MADE IN USA: Proudly American-made, you can trust the quality and superior formula of this glass cleaner and window spray. It’s the best super window cleaner you can buy.
- MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance of Invisible Glass Cleaner, simply let us know for a prompt and cheerful refund, guaranteed!
- Streak-Free Shine
- Removes Tough Stains
- Outperforms the Competition
- ✔Fast and Easy to Cleaning Auto Windshield: Most used to dread cleaning their car mainly because of that it was a big hassle to clean the windshield. Not anymore! Clean car window interiors and exteriors. No more hurting your back. The windshield cleaner is designed with the Extra Long extension handle and pivoting head getting to those hard-to-reach car window bases is simple. XINDELL windshield cleaning tool can remove more dirt and dust, easy to clean the hard-to-reach areas effortlessly.
- ✔Helps get the hard-to-reach area of vehicle windshield pretty well! Car windshield cleaning kit designed with 180°swiveled triangular head to make a complete contact to the glass, which fit with the glass surface very well, easy to clean the bottom of car windows or some hard-to-reach areas, from interior to exterior, easy to use and effortless. Long ergonomic handle, easily extend to hard-to-reach window bases, leaving surfaces for even cleaning.
- ✔Multiple Uses: Works great as a fog & moisture removal tool. Easy windshield cleaner is safe to use on all surfaces and won’t scratch, ideal for interior & exterior cleaning, great for cars, such as trucks, SUVs and recreational vehicles of all sizes. The EASY windshield cleaning brush tool also are suitable for kitchens, bathrooms, furniture, mirrors, ceramic, shower stalls and other household needs! Also ideal for de-misting your windscreen in winter. No need to wait your vehicle warm up.
- ✔Anti-skid & Durable: The cleaning pad pole use aluminum alloy material, lightweight and won’t rust, more durable than plastic one, the end of the handle is with soft sponge, non-slip and comfortable to hold. 3 pcs Washable & Reusable Pads made of fine fiber fluffed material, can remove more dirt and dust, easy to clean, which helps keep it effective. The microfiber cloth helps to remove dirt, dust, and fingerprints on the glass. Great Design Car Window Cleaner!
- ✔Special Instructions: ●Interior Windshield Cleaning: Can be used dry pad or spray a small amount of water on the pad and wipe clean. Refrain from drenching the surface or smudges will appear. ●Exterior Windshield Cleaning: Can be used dry pad. ●Fog Removal: simply wipe glass with no added water or liquid chemical. ●Stubborn stains on the glass: Can be spray a little Glass Cleaning Fluid for wiping. ●No chemical or soap is needed to clean the surface, just a little water.
- AUTO GLASS CLEANER: Concentrated formula easily and consistently removes tough vinyl fog residue, smoker's film, road grime, dirt and bug splatter
- CRYSTAL CLEAR GLASS: Effective at cleaning the inside and outside of windows for crystal clear, streak-free glass
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: Simply spray on and wipe off for quick and easy window cleaning
- WINDOW TINT SAFE: Professional-grade body shop safe formula does not harm window tints
- CONCENTRATED FOR MORE USE: Every concentrated gallon gives you 11 ready-to-use gallons of glass cleaner
- Streak-Free - Our premium 100% streak-free glass cleaning spray is specifically designed with a no-residue formula to eliminate the haze other glass cleaners leave behind. No shade required - works great in direct sunlight
- Multi-Surface - Perfect Glass works great on multiple types of surfaces such as windows, mirrors, glass surfaces, tabletops, glass cooktops, light fixtures, shower enclosures, TV screens, and more.
- Number 1 Rated - Perfect Glass was the number 1 rated glass cleaner in testing by a leading consumer magazine in 2008, 2011, and 2015, and only “took 11 strokes to clean the window, while others required 17 to 70 strokes.”
- Ammonia-Free - Perfect Glass isn’t just streak-free, it’s ammonia-free. This delivers high performance that’s safe on tint film and tinted windows.
- Safe for Screens - Our streak-free glass cleaning spray is great for all of your "screens", which in most cases is Gorilla Glass or similar. Just be sure to spray the cloth and then wipe, rather than spraying directly on the device.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API