February 27, 2019
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V140
Manufacturer Midway Specialty Vehicles
Components EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE
Potential Number of Units Affected 1
Midway Specialty Vehicles (Midway) is recalling one 2016 Freightliner Sprinter vehicle modified to be equipped with a Ricon Titanium Wheelchair Lift. The wheelchair lift positioning input cam may fail while the lift is in use, allowing the platform to travel higher than the vehicle's floor height. As such, this vehicle fails to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 403, "Platform Lift Systems."
Midway has notified the affected owner and a Ricon dealer will replace the lift positioning input cam, free of charge. The recall began February 27, 2019. Owners may contact Ricon customer service at 1-800-322-2884 or Midway customer service at 1-574-264-2530.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Vehicle Identification Number
This Notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the United States National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Ricon has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Ricon Lifts manufactured between 1-1-12 and 5-9-18.
The vehicles subject to this recall campaign were manufactured with the defective lift.
What We Will Do
Ricon will provide materials and labor as out lined above through Authorized Ricon dealers.
What you Should D0
Please refer to the attached Safety Recall Notice. Contact Midway Specialty Vehicles at 574-264-2530 if you experience any trouble regarding the completion of this recall.
We have notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of this recall and the procedures involved. Should Ricon fail or be unable to correct the defect without charge, you may write to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http:// www.safercar.gov.
Federal regulations require that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to lessee within 10 days.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience;however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.
Midway Specialty Vehicles
2940 Dexter Drive
Elkhart, Indiana 46514
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
END USER - DRAFT
RE: Defect Recall Notification 18E-044
Dear [End User]:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Ricon has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the Ricon wheelchair lift installed in your vehicle.
! I M P O R T A N T !
- Your Ricon Wheelchair Lift is being recalled
- Contact Ricon Corporation immediately
WHAT IS BEING RECALLED:
This recall applies to approximately 4,262 Ricon S Series and K Series Titanium Wheelchair Lifts, part numbers K200, K201, K550, K551, S200, S201, S550, S551 no dashes. The recall population includes all units of these models beginning January 1, 2012, until May 9, 2018. A list of affected serial numbers, corresponding order numbers and ship dates of affected units sold to your company is attached.
WHY IS IT BEING RECALLED:
If the position input cam fails and the lift operator continues to press the “up” button on the operating pendant while the lift is occupied, the cutoff switch is dis-abled and the platform can travel past the vehicle floor height, potentially causing the occupant to tip inwards, toward the vehicle. If the wheelchair lift platform stops above the vehicle floor, the wheelchair user can tip inwards toward the vehicle when exiting the lift, increasing their risk of injury.
WHAT YOU AS THE OWNER/OPERATOR SHOULD DO:
Arrange for service at the nearest Ricon servicing dealer by any of the following methods:
- Using the locator on the Ricon website – riconcorp.com
- Calling Ricon Customer Service at (800)322-2884
- Emailing Ricon’s Recall Coordinator, at [email protected]
WHAT RICON CORPORATION WILL DO:
Ricon will provide materials and labor as outlined above through Authorized Ricon dealers. If after attempting to have your vehicle repaired you believe you have not been able to have your vehicle remedied within a reasonable amount of time, you may submit a complaint to the
Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, D.C., 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions concerning these procedures please contact Ricon Customer Service at (800)322-2884.
We apologize for the inconvenience this safety recall will cause. Sincerely,
Cecilia M. Cheng, PE Director of Engineering
Ricon Corporation, a Wabtec Company
1 Affected Product
3 Associated Documents
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Carry scooters and wheelchairs behind any vehicle with a Class III or IV 2" hitch receiver
- Folds upright against vehicle when not in use and includes ten tie-down points for maximum security
- Includes a three-position, folding loading ramp, anti-rattle device, and 5/8" hitch pin
- Manufactured from durable, powder-coated steel with a 500 lb. weight capacity
- Platform measures 48" L x 28" W; ramp measures 59.125" L x 27.5" W
- MOUNTED CARGO HITCH CARRIER: Designed with easy loading and transporting in mind, our cargo carrier comes equipped with a 42” long loading ramp for wheelchairs, scooters, lawn mowers, small wheeled equipment that also folds up towards the carrier platform after equipment is loaded. Fits into a 2” Class III receiver only, will not work in 1 ¼” hitches.
- MAXIMUM 500LB CAPACITY: This folding cargo carrier can support up to 500 lbs due to its heavy duty steel construction. Use easily as a wheelchair ramp or hitch luggage rack. Weight must be centered and evenly distributed on the platform.
- EASY TO USE: Spring loaded locking pins make this hitch hauler easy to fold, open and lock the ramp in place when in use and carrier folds up towards the vehicle when not in use and storage.
- SAFETY AND SECURITY: Two round reflectors are located on the back for visibility and safety when using at night. With 10 tie down points available for safety straps you will have plenty of ways to secure your cargo.
- DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT: Outside dimensions of the cargo carrier measure 48" long x 27 ¾” wide x 4" high with the platform measuring 46.5" long x 27 ½" wide and the ramp measures 42" long. Total weight of carrier is 75 lbs.
- This Prohoists wheelchair carrier is designed to allow easy loading and transporting of your wheelchair, scooter or other item. Each carrier includes a extra long 5' ramp when fully extended. It quickly folds and locks for transporting. The ramp will also detach if not needed or for storage.
- The entire carrier has the option of tilting upward and locking in the upright position for transporting without a load. This allows more parking room within your garage or elsewhere. Quick release spring loaded pins allow for easy unlocking of the ramp.
- Large hand cut-outs allow easy lifting of the carrier. Each cut-out has a rubber insert for padding. Handles also allow easy controlled lifting of the carrier.
- Anti-Wobble Device fuses the carrier and the trailer hitch receiver together to reduce movement and prevent trailer hitch receiver damage. Reflectors Included For Your Safety.
- Inside (usable) platform measurements: 46.5" width X 28" length X 4" high rail. Please note that this item requires a Class III 2 inch hitch.
- For wheelchair, transport chair, side-fold rollator
- Fits 1¼" Hitch Receiver. 2"Adapter available
- Car carrier rack allows fully visible taillights
- Hitch-Mount -- full trunk access when not in use
- Keeps Your Mobility Device Safe and Secure
- 【Foldable Design】Goplus wheelchair carrier is a perfect loading solution, this carrier can be folded easily, doesn't take up much space.
- 【Perfect for Many Equipment】This wheelchair carrier is made for easy loading and transporting of wheelchair, mobility scooter, or other similar equipments.
- 【Applicable to a Variety of Vehicles】This carrier is made for cars, trucks, SUVs, or vans, which is really useful and practical.
- 【Large Loading Capacity】Goplus wheelchair carrier is made of heavy duty steel, very durable for using. Weight capacity is up to 500 lbs, this carrier can meet many carrying and loading need in daily life.
- 【Features Integrated Ramps】The Goplus wheelchair carrier can fold up and out into 3 different positions. The first position keeps the ramp folded flat to the carrier surface and held down with a spring pull pin. The second ramp position allows the ramp to stand up straight when a mobility device is on the carrier. The last position is the ramp unfolded.
- Transports a single manual wheelchair using an existing vehicle hitch ball mount
- Platform tilts for easy loading and unloading
- Height adjustable stability arm secures wheelchair in place
- Folds upright for storage between uses
- Heavy duty steel construction with a maximum 100 lb capacity
- TRANSPORTS MOST SCOOTERS & WHEELCHAIRS: Maneuvering a wheelchair can be difficult enough on its own. Transporting it shouldn’t bring you extra stress. Our medical rack can support most power scooters and electric wheelchairs. Just load your wheelchair onto this mobile ramp and you’re ready to go! Experience it for yourself. Order today.
- EASY USE: This mobility ramp is for use with 2” class III or IV trailer hitches. It is not for use with 1 1/4-inch hitches. It can fold up flat and vertically against the rear of the vehicle when not in use. The ramp features a quick action spring pull pin that secures the ramp for transport, making travel more convenient for you.
- HEAVY-DUTY STEEL: Steel is a metal that is renowned for its ability to bear heavy loads. Our mobile ramp is constructed from heavy-duty steel, giving it an impressive weight capacity of 500 pounds. Because it’s made of steel, it will resist corrosion, bending, and bowing. This foldable carrier can give you several years of use.
- MEASUREMENTS: The MC500 carrier weighs approximately 86 pounds. It measures at 46.5 inches in length and 28 inches in width. It has a tray depth of 4 1/4 inches. Your mobile scooter or wheelchair will fit nicely on the tray. The ramp’s compact size is perfect for travel and transportation. It won’t feel bulky or overbearing whenever you drive.
- ABOUT TITAN: At Titan, we pride ourselves in our excellent communication capabilities. We are a company that is based in the USA and are always willing to answer questions if you need to contact us. We’re proud to offer a 1-year warranty and If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we provide a money-back guarantee.
- mounts to trunk or cargo areas
- only 2 pieces
- remote hand control
- 200 lb capacity
- weighs only 40 lbs
Last update on 2020-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API