January 4, 2018
If the rotation bearing fasteners fail or the pedestal cracks, the crane may not be stable, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V006
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Components EQUIPMENT, STRUCTURE
Potential Number of Units Affected 4
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2010-2011 Effer 440 and 470 Knuckle Boom Cranes. The inner race rotation bearing fasteners for the crane turret may fail and the pedestal may crack if the fasteners are not replaced every two years.
Altec will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the pedestal weld for cracks and replace the inner race rotation bearing fasteners, free of charge. The recall began on February 2, 2018. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 674.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
Janauary 30, 2018
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Effer Crane Units. These units require an slewing ring bolt inspection every two years. The bolts can possibly break and can possibly cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 674 for the items covered under the warranty policy.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 674, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 3 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied within a reasonable time, you may write to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
Date: January 30, 2018
Units Affected: Effer Crane Models 440 and 470 Installed at Altec (see attached list)
Slewing Ring Bolt Check
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Effer, manufacturer of articulating cranes, has published Technical Bulletin 30 which specifies the inspection and maintenance procedures for the above mentioned cranes. Altec is the United States distributor of those cranes and is publishing the information to customers. The information was not included in the current maintenance manual.
Technical Bulletin 30 explains three requirements for the affected units.
- Check the slewing ring (sometimes called rotation bearing) bolts every six monthsor 500 working hours, whichever occurs first.
- Replace the inner bolts of the slewing ring every 2 years or 2,000 working hours for the entire life of the unit after the initial replacement for this bulletin.
- Procedure to check the welding of pedestal (basement) requiring a certified welder.
Altec requires the completion of the second requirement (bolt replacement) on Technical Bulletin 30 no later than 60 days from the receipt of this CSN. A certified welder that can do a dye penetrant test is required for the inspection and possible repair of the weldment.
Effer Technical Bulletin 30 is included with this CSN to fully explain the inspection and repair procedure for the unit. Altec also requires that customers follow the Bulletin instructions and save the Bulletin in the Maintenance Manual for later reference.
This inspection is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will allow up to $270 for the inspection for this bulletin inspection. A warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
4 Affected Products
|ALTEC||470 KNUCKLE BOOM CRANE||2010-2011|
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report- Report #1, 2018-1
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-18V006-1772
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3RCLQRT-18V006-3582
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4RCLQRT-18V006-2756
Latest Recalls Documents
- Product size: L: 11.81, W: 5.51, H: 7.09 inch
- Product weight: 0.22 lbs
- Color: Multicolor
- At Dickie Toys you'll find the air pump mobile crane, a detailed scale version of the famous Man construction vehicle
- The boom is operated by Dickie Toys' Patented air pump system
- Simply by pushing the knob in the driver's cabin and operating a lever, The arm can be made to go in and out
- The winch can also be rolled in and out
- This toy vehicle doesn't need any batteries and also has the advantage of training children's motor skills with its clever, pneumatic technology
- Realistic: Toy truck loaded with features, including movable crane, working lights, sounds, and accurate details
- Sound and Light Effects: Engine idling and honking sounds, working headlights
- Multiple Moving Parts: Cab doors open, hood opens to view engine, toy crane pivots and extends, rope extends
- Details: incredibly detailed and accurate replica toy truck for kids. Includes support legs and soft wheels!
- Imaginary play toy vehicle encourages role play and helps reduce screen time
- Big Daddy Crane Toy Truck: The Crane Truck was made as realistic as possible with a easy to use lever to lift the truck arms in to position.
- Arms extend up to 20" High!
- TRUCK SIZE: 17.5" Length X 8.2" Height x 6.4" perfect size fun toy truck for the little construction man
- Great Toy Truck for any little kid this huge truck will put a smile on every kids face.
- Educational Truck: will teach you kid the basics of balancing a load high in the air without dropping it while moving the truck to drop of location
- What You Get: 54 Piece cargo transport vehicle set with Gantry Crane, Pickup Truck, Tow Truck, Logging truck, Magnetic Crane Vehicle and forklift. Also includes many accessories like road signs, barricades, barriers and safety cones. Suitable for individual play or with friends.
- Storage Box：Handy storage box that can be converted into an interlocking play mat. Realistic details, diverse creative play opportunities, great for group play in sandpits. Top rated toys for boys and girls.
- Safety Material: Please feel free to use it
- Educational Toy: Cargo vehicle playset can develop crucial early educational skills. Get ready for critical thinking skills, shape recognition, item recognition, creativity, hand-eye coordination, gross motor skills, life learning skills, and cognitive process development.
- Great Gift: This is a highly beneficial early educational toy that will give your child hours of entertainment and engage their senses and fine finger skills. Perfect gift for birthday parties, festivals and holidays. Give your child a gift that creates endless happy moments!
- Rinker, Sherri Duskey (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 30 Pages - 02/14/2017 (Publication Date) - Chronicle Books (Publisher)
- Construction Site Vehicles Playset: The kids construction toys including 1 foldable playmat, 1 crawler crane, 1 flexible excavator, 1 tractor with 3 interchangeable parts, 1 cement, 1 transport truck , 1 fuel truck, toys figures, safety road signs and some stones.
- Multiple Movable Parts: Both the crane and excavator bodies can be rotated in 360 degree.Simulation of hydraulic design, free to make the excavator arm and shovel head bending,children can freely adjust the line of the crane to bend or straighten the arm.
- 3 in 1 Tractor Toy: The tractor toy contain a tractor and 3 interchangeable parts. Kids can freely combine the tractor into 3 types: a snow plow, a steamroller, and a forklift, it can improve children's hands-on skill.
- Playmat with Simulation Scene:The playmat has a smooth surface and can be easily folded for storage. The playmat provides a variety of realistic scenarios with multiple traffic roads and parking spaces, multiple ways to play.
- Educational Gift for Toddlers: This is an educational engineering toy that can improve your child's hands-on skills and imagination, and some safety road signs can enrich your child's knowledge of traffic safety. In addition, it would be an great gift that toddlers will sincerely appreciate.
- Die-Cast Engineering Vehicle Model Toy; Scale: 1/55
- Material: Alloy Metal + Engineering Plastic + Rubber; All Materials are Eco-friendly
- More than 95% Similarity of Originals; All Joints Could Rotate Freely
- Suitable Age: 8-Year Old or Above
- Product Size: 19.5 x 4 x 5 cm / 7.7 x 1.6 x 2 inch; Weight: 700 g / 1.5 lb
- 【What Included】76 total pieces engineering construction vehicle set with Crane, Trailer, Steamroller, Bulldozer, Forklift, Snowplow and Truck.
- 【Premium Quality】Exceptional high quality moving vehicles are made of strong ABS that can stand rough play.
- 【Educational Benefits】Top rated toys for kids to develop thinking skills, hand-eye coordination, gross motor skills, and cognitive processes.
- 【Storage DIY Box】Comes with a handy storage box that can be converted into an interlocking play mat to build different construction site scenes.
- 【Ideal Gifts Choice】Perfect for kids that love to play construction truck games.Give your child a gift that creates endless happy moments!
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API