January 2, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19E003000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19E003
Manufacturer Takata (TK Global LLC)
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 4,000,000
TK Global LLC (Takata) has decided that certain PSPI, PSPI-1.1, PSPI-2, PSPI 6, PSPI-L, and SPI air bag inflators assembled as part of the frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment (such as after a vehicle crash necessitating replacement of the original air bags), may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to lower absolute humidity, temperature and temperature cycling. This recall addresses model year 2010 or newer vehicles ever registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Takata will be working with vehicle manufacturers to determine into which vehicles the affected inflators were installed either as original or replacement equipment during service. As this work progresses, numerous vehicle recalls will likely be announced by the impacted vehicle manufacturers. The recall began on January 2, 2019. Vehicles registered outside of these states may be covered by recalls 19E-001 or 19E-002.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
DEFECT AND INFORMATION REPORT FOR ZONE C
January 2, 2019
TK Global LLC.
TAKATA NON-DESICCATED FRONTAL AIR BAG INFLATORS CONTAINING PHASE STABLIZED AMMONIUM NITRATE FOR ZONE C
Number potentially involved:
Approximately 4 million
Estimated Percentage of involved with defect:
Describe the defect or non-compliance:
TK Global, formerly, Takata, is submitting this DIR in accordance with the terms specified in the May 4, 2016 Amendment to the November 3, 2015 Consent Order in EA15-001. This report contemplates national recalls of vehicles equipped with certain former Takata non-desiccated inflators used in frontal airbag systems containing a phase stabilized ammonium nitrate-based propellant that were not included in prior national recalls. The subject inflators include models designated by Takata as: PSPI, PSPI-1.1, PSPI-2, PSPI-6, PSPI-L, and SPI.
TK Global is not aware of any test ruptures in ballistic testing of returned inflators in the designated categories and model years or confirmed field incidents of the subject nondesiccated ammonium nitrate inflators other than those already under recall as detailed in prior defect information reports. Out of an abundance of caution, however, TK Global is filing this report in cooperation with NHTSA to promote public safety.
As a result of the developments and circumstances described below, TK Global has determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety may arise in some of the subject non-desiccated ammonium nitrate inflators due to propellant degradation occurring after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling. Testing and analysis conducted by Takata, TK Global and by independent entities have found that there are wide differences in the time periods in which propellant degradation takes place. The propellant degradation varies in different climate zones, in different vehicle makes and models, and in different inflator and propellant configurations. The Agency has concluded that these non-desiccated frontal Takata PSAN air bag inflators do not pose an unreasonable risk to safety under the Safety Act until they reach a certain level of propellant degradation
This DIR applies to all subject inflators installed as original equipment in all remaining vehicles that have been registered in Zone C, as defined in Paragraph 7 of the May 4, 2016 Amendment to the Consent Order, and that are not currently covered by an inflator recall. This includes vehicles from Model Year 2010 and newer.
Zone C includes states with lower temperature cycling and absolute humidity. It includes: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
The subject inflators were installed as original equipment in vehicles sold in the United States by the following vehicle manufacturers (listed alphabetically):
American Honda Motor Co.
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 9051-2746
Phone: (310) 783-2000
Volkswagen Group of America
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI. 48326
Phone (248) 754-5000
BMW of North America
P.O. Box 1227
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731
Phone: (201) 307-4000
Daimler Vans USA LLC
303 Perimeter Center North
Suite 202 Atlanta, GA 30346
Phone: (770) 705-2070
FCA US LLC
800 Chrysler Drive
CIMS 482-00-91 Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2757
Phone: (800) 853-1403
Ferrari North America, Inc.
250 Sylvan Ave.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
Phone: (201) 816-2600
Fisker Automotive Inc.
(Recall to be conducted by Karma Automotive LLC)
3080 Airway Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone: (855) 565-2762
Ford Motor Company
330 Town Center Drive
Suite 500, Dearborn, MI 48126
Phone: (866) 436-7332
General Motors LLC
30001 Van Dyke Road
Warren, MI 48094-9020.
Phone: (313) 556-5000
Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC
555 Mac Arthur Boulevard
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Phone: (800) 452-4827
Mazda North America Operations
1025 Connecticut Avenue NW
Suite 910 Washington DC 20036
Phone: (800) 222-5500
McLaren Automotive Inc.
750 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (646) 429-8916
Mercedes Benz USA LLC
303 Perimeter Center North
Atlanta, Ga. 30346
Phone: (407) 545-6768
Mitsubishi Motors North America Inc.
6400 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630
Phone: (714) 372-6000
Nissan North America Inc.
PO Box 685001
Franklin, TN 37068-5009
Phone: (615) 725-3111
Tesla Motors Inc.,
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90501
Describe the safety risk:
Activation of a non-desiccated ammonium nitrate inflator with degraded propellant may result in an inflator rupture. An inflator rupture may cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag and into the vehicle interior at high speed, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.
Describe the cause:
The propellant wafers in some of the subject inflators may degrade over time, which could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event the air bag is activated. Overly aggressive combustion creates excessive internal pressure when the inflator is activated, which may cause the inflator body to rupture. Based upon Takata’s and TK Global’s investigations to date, the potential for such ruptures occurs in some of the subject inflators after several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling. The potential for rupture may also be influenced by other factors, including the specific vehicle environment, the inflator and propellant configuration, and manufacturing variability.
November 3, 2015 – NHTSA and Takata entered into a Consent Order in EA15-001 to resolve issues raised in that investigation, to mitigate and control risks of harm, and to promote public safety.
May 4, 2016 – NHTSA and Takata entered into an Amendment to the November 3, 2015 Consent Order. As stated in that Amendment, on the basis of testing and analysis conducted by Takata and by independent research organizations, NHTSA has concluded that, “at some point in the future all non-desiccated frontal Takata PSAN inflators will reach a threshold level of degradation that could result in the inflator becoming unreasonably dangerous”. As a result of this conclusion, and pursuant to Paragraph 29 of the November 3, 2015 Consent Order, NHTSA ordered Takata to file certain defect information reports (“DIR”), in accordance with the schedule set forth in Paragraph 14 of the Amendment.
May 16, 2016 – Takata submitted DIRs per the schedule specified by NHTSA in the Amendment to the Consent Order.
January 3, 2017 – Takata submitted DIRs per the schedule specified by NHTSA in the Amendment to the Consent Order. The schedule called for certain DIRs to be submitted by Dec. 31, 2016. However, since that date fell on a weekend and a Federal holiday was observed on Jan. 2, 2017, NHTSA agreed that the DIRs would be submitted on Jan. 3, 2017, the next business day.
January 2, 2018 – Takata submitted DIRs per the schedule specified by NHTSA in the Amendment to the Consent Order. The schedule called for certain DIRs to be submitted by Dec. 31, 2017. However, since that date fell on a weekend and a Federal holiday was observed on Jan. 1, 2018, NHTSA agreed that the DIRs would be submitted on Jan. 2, 2018, the next business day.
April 10, 2018 – Due to the company bankruptcy and sale of the majority of Takata assets, the successor company responsible for PSAN inflators is TK Global LLC.
TK Global LLC is responsible for investigations and necessary field actions for all Phase Stabilized Ammonium Nitrate (PSAN) airbag inflators, originally manufactured by Takata.
January 2, 2019 – TK Global is submitting this DIR per the schedule specified by NHTSA in the Amendment to the Consent Order. The schedule calls for all subject inflators installed as original equipment in all remaining l vehicles to be submitted by Dec 31, 2018. NHTSA agreed that this DIR could be submitted on Jan. 2, 2019.
Describe the defect / noncompliance remedy program:
Per the sale of the majority of Takata assets to Joyson Safety Systems (JSS) and the bankruptcy agreement, the supplier of remedy parts is JSS. The Coordinated Remedy Program, being administered by the Independent Monitor, will prioritize the supply of remedy parts to the vehicles and zones that present the highest risk.
6 Affected Products
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
|TAKATA||PSPI AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
|TAKATA||PSPI-1.1 AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
|TAKATA||PSPI-2 AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
|TAKATA||PSPI-6 AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
|TAKATA||PSPI-L AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
|TAKATA||SPI AIR BAG INFLATOR||12/31/2003 - 12/31/2017|
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Miscellaneous Document- Takata DIR January 2 2019 Zone C Final
Latest Recalls Documents
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI's insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata's initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata's testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI's investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- It’s Not Just for Car Seats & Interiors: This kit works on all things leather, seats, interiors, jackets, shoes, sneakers, boots, sofas and more; Everyone has something leather in their home.
- Treat Your Leather Like Your Hair & Skin: We all wash our skin and hair on a regular basis, and use conditioners and lotions to keep out skin hydrated and fresh.
- PH Balanced: Leather Cleaner is pH balanced for the most efficient cleaning and preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance; Penetrates the pores of leather to lift and suspend dirt and oils
- Fast, Easy & Fun: No one "loves to clean", but if you are using products that make it fast and easy, it's certainly more fun both products are extremely easy to use, and leave no residue like soaps, nor will they contribute to fiber deterioration
- Keep Your Leather Looking & Smelling New: Leather cleaner is colorless and odorless and penetrates the pores of your leather to lift and remove dirt and oils, while leather conditioner, which has a subtle leather scent, contains Vitamin E to nourish your leather and help reduce UV damage
- Easily clean and condition leather to renew its appearance and prolong suppleness with this 2-step Lexol Leather Regimen Kit
- Kit contains: (1) 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Cleaner, (1) 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Conditioner, and 2 Premium Applicator Sponges
- Cleaner restores and revives leather by lifting dirt and oils, allowing them to be easily wiped away
- Conditioner contains fine oil droplets that nourish, restore flexibility, and protect leather against cracking without leaving greasy residue
- Easy-to-use cap dispenses, Ideal for use on: leather auto upholstery, footwear, furniture, handbags & briefcases, sports equipment and luggage
- Leather Cleaner Trigger Cleans, Moisturizes, And Conditions Finished Leather
- ☑️ Safe for many surfaces - Will also work on durablend, vinyl, compound, saffiano, faux and other leather or leather-like surfaces.
- ☑️ Easy to use - simply spray on and wipe off to eliminate almost any surface stain and give new life to your leather.
- ☑️ Effective and Safe - Works to remove dirt, debris, stains, and grime without using harsh chemicals.
- ☑️ Premium Formula - Developed by leather experts to deliver top quality results.
- ☑️ Extend the Life of Your Leather - Routine cleaning and conditioning can help quality leather goods to last a lifetime
- All-in-one leather treatment cleans, conditions and protects for complete leather care in one easy step
- Gentle leather cleaners safely and effectively remove dirt and grime
- UV protection helps prevent premature aging, drying, cracking and fading
- Premium leather conditioners and aloe provide nourishment for soft, supple leather
- Non-greasy formula cleans and protects without leaving a white residue
- OUR LEATHER CONDITIONER WAS INVENTED OVER 50 YEARS AGO WITH MILLIONS OF HAPPY CUSTOMERS. Same time-tested formula used today!
- ONE TREATMENT LASTS SIX MONTHS OR LONGER. Deeply penetrates into the leather's pores to protect new leather and rejuvenate old leather. Softens, moisturizes and promotes flexibility leaving your leather feeling and looking beautiful! A little goes a long way; no need to reapply monthly as with other products.
- THIS LEATHER CONDITIONER PROLONGS THE LIFE OF ALL TYPES OF LEATHER, including leather furniture and upholstery, automobile and motorcycle seats, boots, gloves, purses, jackets, saddles and tack. Non-toxic, non-solvent, not sticky, no odor and does not contain silicone. Water, snow and rain repellent formula. Not for use on suede or faux leather/vinyl.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not satisfied, return the product at any time for a full refund.
- A LEATHER CONDITIONER THAT IS MADE IN THE USA by a small family business owned by the grandchildren of the original inventor. Use with Leather Honey Leather Cleaner, also available on Amazon!
- Convenient, disposable wipes protect your car's rich look
- Leather Wipes clean, condition and protect leather
- Leather Wipes renew and revive leather's natural beauty
- Cleaning Wipes easily remove ground-in dirt, dust and grime
- Cleaning Wipes are lint free, won't leave greasy residue on hands
- – THE HYPE IS REAL! – Are you tired of using cleaners that work, but not as good as you expected?! You won’t experience that here! Our newly formulated multisurface cleaner is made with the newest advancements in nano-technology to effectively lift away dirt and grime at the molecular level. No more wasting time and energy with nonsense products made with old science and technology!
- – REPLACE YOUR CABINET OF CHEMICALS! – Do you get confused by all the different types of cleaning supplies that are available? It gets frustrating fast! Just cleaning your vehicle requires some special deep stain remover, a chemical solvent to get rid of bug and tar, a separate floor mat and inner dash cleaner.. and the list goes on and on! Keep it simple with one multipurpose product, CarGuys Super Cleaner... the KING OF ALL CLEANERS !
- – SUPER CLEAN ANY SURFACE! – This multi surface product works on absolutely every interior or exterior surface except glass and delicate instrument panel screens! That means this ONE PRODUCT will clean upholstery , fabric , canvas , leather , vinyl , plastic , rubber , bird poop , grease , tree sap , metals , wood trim and so much more! This is the most versatile multi-purpose cleaner on the market!
- – CLEAN FINISH, NO GLOSS! – Stop purchasing inferior products that claim to clean and protect! These products never clean good enough, and they leave behind a cloudy, tacky, thin and greasy film. That’s because the cleaning agents affect the conditioner, resulting in both a bad cleaner and protectant! The correct way is to use a great cleaner, then if you want to, finish with a proper UV guard. Our product is that first step to bringing back that new clean touch, just like the day you bought it!
- – WHAT IF I’M NOT HAPPY? – There is nothing on the market like this stuff! We believe that this is the ABSOLUTE BEST all around cleaner on the market!! If you don't agree, there's no fine printing to read and no gimmicks here! Get in contact with us ANYTIME after your purchase and we will provide a FULL REFUND! So what are you waiting for?! CLICK 'Add to Cart' NOW, 100% RISK FREE!
- Easily wipe away contaminants without harming leather
- pH-balanced to leather for the most efficient cleaning
- Preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance
- Leaves no residue like soaps and will not contribute to fiber deterioration
- Water-based surfactants and non-alkaline cleaning agents penetrate deep into every pore to gently lift out dirt, grease and oils
- Specially formulated - clean, condition, & protect leather while restoring it to its original texture & sheen
- Moisturizers - instantly revitalize & restore leather, helping to prevent drying out
- Use On - your favorite accessories such as leather purses, shoes, boots, briefcases and handbags
- Does Not - darken leather
- Recommended use on - Finished leather surfaces including car interior shoes boots briefcases handbags & coats - Do not use on suede, nubuck, Natuzzi Brand or any unfinished leather
Last update on 2020-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API