February 8, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V083000
If the front or rear wheel locks up while braking, there would be an increased risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V083
Manufacturer Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 497
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (Kawasaki) is recalling certain 2019 Z900 ABS, Z900 RS ABS & Z900 RS CAFE ABS motorcycles. The ABS hydraulic unit (ABS unit) may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process, possibly resulting in the front or rear wheel locking up when braking while riding.
Kawasaki has notified owners, and dealers will inspect the ABS unit, replacing it as necessary, free of charge. The recall began February 15, 2019. Owners may contact Kawasaki Customer Care at 1-866-802-9381. Kawasaki's number for this recall is MC19-01.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY
1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
February 22, 2019
REPLACES: Please discard bulletin MC19-01 dated February 15, 2019.
TITLE: INSPECT & REPLACE ABS HYDRAULIC UNIT
THIS BULLETIN IS OF THE HIGHEST PRIORITY AND MUST BE ACTED UPON IMMEDIATELY TO ENSURE CUSTOMER SAFETY.
|Year||Model||Model Codes||VIN Eligibility|
|Check VIP in K-Dealer|
|2019||Z900 RS ABS||ZR900CKFB
|2019||Z900 RS CAFE ABS||ZR900EKF
Verify eligibility using VIP in K-Dealer before starting the repair.
Please check VIP (Vehicle Information Portal) in K-Dealer for other possible repair campaigns for eligible units.
On affected units, the ABS hydraulic unit may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process. Contamination could result in improper functioning of the anti-lock braking system, allowing the front or rear tire to lock during operation of the anti-lock braking system, creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death.
Notify Registered Owners:
Kawasaki is sending a Recall letter to all registered owners of eligible units. A copy of the letter is printed on page 36 of this bulletin.
Repair Eligible Units:
Repair all eligible units including sold units in the field and unsold units in your dealership inventory prior to delivery to the retail purchaser. It is the obligation of authorized Kawasaki retail Dealers to repair eligible units in Dealer’s possession prior to retail sale. Failure to comply with this obligation to repair all units eligible for Recall or FDM campaigns by the Dealer constitutes a breach of the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement. Refer to Service Policies bulletin SP 08-01. Refer to the Replacement, Inspection and Test Procedure sections of this bulletin for details.
- It’s the law! Under the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Federal Law 49 U.S.C. Section 30120(i) requires dealers to perform Recall repairs before delivering any vehicle affected by the Recall to a purchaser.
Document Completed Repairs:
Federal law requires manufacturers to maintain accurate follow-up records on repairs performed on eligible units. Dealers MUST submit a Warranty Claim for each repair. Refer to the Warranty Information section of this bulletin for details.
- If you fail to submit a Warranty Claim for a new unit that is subsequently sold and registered, the new owner will receive the Recall letter requesting the return of the vehicle to you for repair.
Submit Product Registration:
Submit the product registration to Kawasaki via K-Dealer immediately after retail sale of any eligible unit. Be sure to supply the correct customer name and mailing address. Kawasaki uses the product registration information for customer notification. Also, if you know that the customer has moved, please submit a Customer Update via K-Dealer.
- Only ABS Pumps with a specific Lot Number require replacement.
- Perform the ABS Hydraulic Unit Inspection procedure beginning on page 4 of this bulletin.
- ABS Pumps replaced erroneously under this campaign that do not contain the affected Lot Number will be debited back to the dealer.
|NG LOT NUMBERS|
Repair Kit Part Numbers
Kit 99999-0704 (for ZR900B) or 99999-0705 (for ZR900C/E) installed only if inspection criteria found in this bulletin indicates replacement.
Order parts to complete the Recall through K-Dealer as outlined in Service Bulletin SP15-03.
- Use VIP in K-Dealer to identify affected units in your dealership inventory to order repair kits for unsold units
To ensure parts availability across the dealer network, Kawasaki initially requests that parts are ordered based on immediate demand:
- For retailed units, order parts as customers schedule repairs or for repairs expected to take place within the next two weeks.
- For unsold units, use VIP in K-Dealer to identify the number of affected units in your dealership inventory. Order repair parts only for units that will be repaired for retail sale within the next two weeks.
KIT, ABS MC19-01 - P/N 99999-0704, ZR900B
|Pump Assy-Oil, ABS||1|
|Bolt, Socket, with MEC||3|
KIT, ABS MC19-01 - P/N 99999-0705, ZR900C/E
|Pump Assy-Oil, ABS||1|
|Bolt, Socket, with MEC||2|
1 Affected Product
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
NHTSA RECALL NO. 19V-083
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 Z900 ABS, Z900 RS ABS & Z900 RS CAFE ABS models.
The reason for this notice:
On affected units, the ABS hydraulic unit may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process. Contamination could result in improper functioning of the anti-lock braking system, allowing the front or rear tire to lock during operation of the anti-lock braking system, creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.
What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:
Kawasaki has authorized your dealer to inspect your motorcycle and replace the ABS hydraulic unit if it is found to be defective free of charge. The actual repair will take up to an hour and a half but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.
What should you do to ensure your safety?
Please call your Kawasaki dealer to schedule an appointment to have your motorcycle inspected and repaired if required. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) ready when calling. To locate the nearest authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer, please visit www.kawasaki.com and click on the “LOCATE DEALER” link.
If you need help:
If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, please contact Kawasaki Customer Care at (866) 802-9381 (toll-free) between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number ready when calling.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge within a reasonable amount of time (60 days after your first attempt to obtain remedy), you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1(888) 327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
If you received this notice in error:
Our records indicate you are the current owner of the motorcycle described in this letter. If you no longer have the vehicle described in this letter, please help us to update our records at www.kawasaki.com by clicking on “OWNER CENTER => OWNER SUPPORT => UPDATE OWNER INFO” or by calling Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address:
Please note the following conditions for reimbursement:
Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
7 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Quickly reveal the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings on any 1996 and newer OBD2 car, light truck, SUV and hybrids
- Read and erase ABS & SRS light trouble codes on most OBD2 vehicles
- Battery & alternator tests check the performance of a vehicle's charging system
- Oil Reset feature provides step-by-step reset procedures for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles
- Freeze Frame shows engine conditions such as fuel trim, engine coolant temp, etc., at the time the Malfunction Indicator Lamp turned on. The 3100j will save the last 3 vehicles scanned.Also, the 3100j does not have Live data or bi-directional functions
- CD-ROM with EZinstall TuneECU software and drivers
- Preconfigured cable with FT232RL chipset and latest firmware
- Works on all windows 32 & 64 bit including windows 10
- Step-by-step guide with pictures
- Please see photo for models covered***
- Read and Clear Fault Codes -- Reset Service Reminders
- Control Unit Information -- View Sensor Values Log & Graph Live Values
- Component Function Test -- Component Calibration Adaption Reset and Relearn
- Basic Coding Bleed Tests And much more…
- Now for iPhone & iPad!
- Wide range of applications: High-quality motorcycle EFI system diagnostic instrument can meet the detection and diagnosis of multiple motorcycle EFI systems. It is indeed an ideal tool for aftermarket maintenance of motorcycles.
- Large capacity: Scanner tool which adopts a 32-bit processor and a 3.2-inch color screen supports large capacity memory. The product features in easy operation, good touch feeling, and long durability.
- Strong practicability, multiple functions: Read information system, read data stream, freeze data, read fault code, erase fault codes, CO idle speed adjustment, actuators test, trouble shooting guidance, etc.
- Functions: 1. Read information system (read ECU version information); 2. Read data stream (read the parameter values ??of various ECU sensors); 3. Freeze data (lock dynamic data for easy viewing); 4. Read fault code (read fault code stored by ECU and conduct analysis); 5. Erase fault code (clear fault code stored by ECU); 6. CO idle speed adjustment; 7. Actuators test; 8. Trouble shooting guidance, etc.
- Check While Using: 1) Check if the ignition switch is on or if the engine is running; 2) Check if the power light of the host is on (red light), and if the signal light is flickering when detecting the system; 3) Check if the diagnostic cable and the diagnostic base are in poor contact or short circuit; 4) Check if the version of the software is suitable for the vehicle type.
- Read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Get your unlimited free vehicle specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by ASE Certified Mechanics
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- BlueDriver is the Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
- Make sure your motorcycle is compatible before purchasing this tool. Read full product description to determine the compatibility or contact us if you have any questions. ***
- Read and Erase Fault Codes Diagnose your Harley-Davidson bike yourself. You can read diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), also known as fault codes or error codes, with detailed descriptions. Motorscan reads all fault codes that are stored in your bike’s electronic control unit (ECU). You can run a global search or choose individual systems, such as Ignition or Immobilizer to check for errors.
- Save and Share Reports You just caught an intermittent problem and want to show it to your mechanic? It’s easy. Save the report and send it to your mechanic for faster turnaround on needed services. You can store and share multiple diagnostic reports from the Motorscan app.
- View Live Data Parameters and Visualize Engine Data Get a real-time view of all important parameters, including engine temperature, pressure, battery voltage, and more. Easily look up your bike’s VIN number and electronic control module’s specs. Use Motorscan app’s virtual dashboard to see live parameters displayed live on your smartphone.
- Free App for Android and iPhone Download free Motorscan app for Android and iOS smartphones to use with Motorscan Harley-Davidson adapters. Easy Installation This is the world’s smallest diagnostic tool for Harley-Davidson bikes. Motorscan fits snugly into the bike’s DLC diagnostic port. It connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth in seconds. No wires needed. You can start monitoring your bike’s health right away!
- BMW 10-pin OBD adapter for motorcycles- Allows K-line and DCAN diagnostics.the 10pin cable Suitable with GS-911,OBDLink,Motorscan...
- Motor 10pin cable Allows K-line and DCAN diagnostics software - ISTA/D ISTA/P Rheingold
- 10pin Motor cable Designed to work with just a laptop and regular K-line and/or DCAN interface
- Motor 10pin cable Supports diagnostic software: ISTA/D ISTA/P Rheingold
- BMW 10-pin OBD adapter for motorcycles and 5 years warranty
- 【Brand & New】 This is a 10 Pin to 16 Pin round diagnostic cable adapter with high quality OBD2 interfacety
- 【Universal Fit BMW Motorcycle】This OBD2 diagnostic cable is great for BMW motorcycle all series
- 【10-pin to the instrument】: Can be used to convert the connection from the 10-pin round cart to the existing 16-pin OBD2 interface tool
- 【Main Useage】OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. Using TORQUE, able to get O2 readings, throttle response, Record with GPS location and overlay throttle, lean angle, etc. onto video footage
- 【Quality Assurance】Professional manufacturing, stable characteristic and high reliability
- BST500 battery tester is a more advanced tool with the capability to test automotive, marine, motorcycle, lawn and garden batteries. Designed for 12V battery testing, it nevertheless can be used for both 12V and 24V starting and charging system.
- This battery and system analyzer can test 12V lead-acid batteries and has a wide applicability to regular flooded, AGM flat plate, AGM spiral, gel and deep-cycle batteries. It covers all battery rating Standards such as CCA, BCI, CA, MCA, JIS, DIN, IEC, EN, SAE, GB standards.
- It’s fast and accurate, displaying battery parameters in about 2.5 seconds to advise you of a battery’s full/low or charge/replace status.
- The unit is housed in rugged casing for easy hand-holding. It’s lightweight and has a backlit display screen for clear reading under any lighting condition.
- Its built-in printer uses standard thermal printer paper, so you can conveniently attach a printout to a work order, share it with your customers or build a preventative maintenance program of record keeping.
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API