February 8, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V083000
If the front or rear wheel locks up while braking, there would be an increased risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V083
Manufacturer Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 497
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (Kawasaki) is recalling certain 2019 Z900 ABS, Z900 RS ABS & Z900 RS CAFE ABS motorcycles. The ABS hydraulic unit (ABS unit) may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process, possibly resulting in the front or rear wheel locking up when braking while riding.
Kawasaki has notified owners, and dealers will inspect the ABS unit, replacing it as necessary, free of charge. The recall began February 15, 2019. Owners may contact Kawasaki Customer Care at 1-866-802-9381. Kawasaki's number for this recall is MC19-01.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY
1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
February 22, 2019
REPLACES: Please discard bulletin MC19-01 dated February 15, 2019.
TITLE: INSPECT & REPLACE ABS HYDRAULIC UNIT
THIS BULLETIN IS OF THE HIGHEST PRIORITY AND MUST BE ACTED UPON IMMEDIATELY TO ENSURE CUSTOMER SAFETY.
|Year||Model||Model Codes||VIN Eligibility|
|Check VIP in K-Dealer|
|2019||Z900 RS ABS||ZR900CKFB
|2019||Z900 RS CAFE ABS||ZR900EKF
Verify eligibility using VIP in K-Dealer before starting the repair.
Please check VIP (Vehicle Information Portal) in K-Dealer for other possible repair campaigns for eligible units.
On affected units, the ABS hydraulic unit may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process. Contamination could result in improper functioning of the anti-lock braking system, allowing the front or rear tire to lock during operation of the anti-lock braking system, creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death.
Notify Registered Owners:
Kawasaki is sending a Recall letter to all registered owners of eligible units. A copy of the letter is printed on page 36 of this bulletin.
Repair Eligible Units:
Repair all eligible units including sold units in the field and unsold units in your dealership inventory prior to delivery to the retail purchaser. It is the obligation of authorized Kawasaki retail Dealers to repair eligible units in Dealer’s possession prior to retail sale. Failure to comply with this obligation to repair all units eligible for Recall or FDM campaigns by the Dealer constitutes a breach of the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement. Refer to Service Policies bulletin SP 08-01. Refer to the Replacement, Inspection and Test Procedure sections of this bulletin for details.
- It’s the law! Under the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Federal Law 49 U.S.C. Section 30120(i) requires dealers to perform Recall repairs before delivering any vehicle affected by the Recall to a purchaser.
Document Completed Repairs:
Federal law requires manufacturers to maintain accurate follow-up records on repairs performed on eligible units. Dealers MUST submit a Warranty Claim for each repair. Refer to the Warranty Information section of this bulletin for details.
- If you fail to submit a Warranty Claim for a new unit that is subsequently sold and registered, the new owner will receive the Recall letter requesting the return of the vehicle to you for repair.
Submit Product Registration:
Submit the product registration to Kawasaki via K-Dealer immediately after retail sale of any eligible unit. Be sure to supply the correct customer name and mailing address. Kawasaki uses the product registration information for customer notification. Also, if you know that the customer has moved, please submit a Customer Update via K-Dealer.
- Only ABS Pumps with a specific Lot Number require replacement.
- Perform the ABS Hydraulic Unit Inspection procedure beginning on page 4 of this bulletin.
- ABS Pumps replaced erroneously under this campaign that do not contain the affected Lot Number will be debited back to the dealer.
|NG LOT NUMBERS|
Repair Kit Part Numbers
Kit 99999-0704 (for ZR900B) or 99999-0705 (for ZR900C/E) installed only if inspection criteria found in this bulletin indicates replacement.
Order parts to complete the Recall through K-Dealer as outlined in Service Bulletin SP15-03.
- Use VIP in K-Dealer to identify affected units in your dealership inventory to order repair kits for unsold units
To ensure parts availability across the dealer network, Kawasaki initially requests that parts are ordered based on immediate demand:
- For retailed units, order parts as customers schedule repairs or for repairs expected to take place within the next two weeks.
- For unsold units, use VIP in K-Dealer to identify the number of affected units in your dealership inventory. Order repair parts only for units that will be repaired for retail sale within the next two weeks.
KIT, ABS MC19-01 - P/N 99999-0704, ZR900B
|Pump Assy-Oil, ABS||1|
|Bolt, Socket, with MEC||3|
KIT, ABS MC19-01 - P/N 99999-0705, ZR900C/E
|Pump Assy-Oil, ABS||1|
|Bolt, Socket, with MEC||2|
1 Affected Product
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
NHTSA RECALL NO. 19V-083
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 Z900 ABS, Z900 RS ABS & Z900 RS CAFE ABS models.
The reason for this notice:
On affected units, the ABS hydraulic unit may have been contaminated with debris during the manufacturing process. Contamination could result in improper functioning of the anti-lock braking system, allowing the front or rear tire to lock during operation of the anti-lock braking system, creating the potential for a crash resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.
What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:
Kawasaki has authorized your dealer to inspect your motorcycle and replace the ABS hydraulic unit if it is found to be defective free of charge. The actual repair will take up to an hour and a half but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.
What should you do to ensure your safety?
Please call your Kawasaki dealer to schedule an appointment to have your motorcycle inspected and repaired if required. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) ready when calling. To locate the nearest authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer, please visit www.kawasaki.com and click on the “LOCATE DEALER” link.
If you need help:
If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, please contact Kawasaki Customer Care at (866) 802-9381 (toll-free) between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number ready when calling.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge within a reasonable amount of time (60 days after your first attempt to obtain remedy), you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1(888) 327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
If you received this notice in error:
Our records indicate you are the current owner of the motorcycle described in this letter. If you no longer have the vehicle described in this letter, please help us to update our records at www.kawasaki.com by clicking on “OWNER CENTER => OWNER SUPPORT => UPDATE OWNER INFO” or by calling Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address:
Please note the following conditions for reimbursement:
Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
7 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable for Yamaha - Diagnostic 4 Pin to OBD2 OBDII Cable Harness Adapter for Yamaha. Work with all latest motorcycle model with the 4-pin diagnostic plug, like FJR 1300, FZ09, FZ10, MT09, FZ-10, MT-10, XSR900, R6, R1, and XSR 900, XT1200ZE etc. Work on all newer Yamaha's that require the 4 pin adapter!
- 4Pin OBD2 Scan Cable Cooperation - This 4pin motorbike OBD cable works with various programs / apps and even with standard OBD2 readers.
- 4pin OBD2 Scan Cable Support----Work with all latest motorcycle model with the 4-pin diagnostic plug, like FJR 1300, FZ09, FZ10, MT09, FZ-10, MT-10, XSR900, R6, R1, and XSR 900, XT1200ZE etc.
- After connect this 4pin motorcycle cable to programs / apps, then you can read / delete the fault memory,Reading of live engine data such as speed, rpm, temp, O2 sensor data, emissions, voltages, etc.
- High quality warranty.
- Wide range of applications: High-quality motorcycle EFI system diagnostic instrument can meet the detection and diagnosis of multiple motorcycle EFI systems. It is indeed an ideal tool for aftermarket maintenance of motorcycles.
- Large capacity: Scanner tool which adopts a 32-bit processor and a 3.2-inch color screen supports large capacity memory. The product features in easy operation, good touch feeling, and long durability.
- Strong practicability, multiple functions: Read information system, read data stream, freeze data, read fault code, erase fault codes, CO idle speed adjustment, actuators test, trouble shooting guidance, etc.
- Functions: 1. Read information system (read ECU version information); 2. Read data stream (read the parameter values ??of various ECU sensors); 3. Freeze data (lock dynamic data for easy viewing); 4. Read fault code (read fault code stored by ECU and conduct analysis); 5. Erase fault code (clear fault code stored by ECU); 6. CO idle speed adjustment; 7. Actuators test; 8. Trouble shooting guidance, etc.
- Check While Using: 1) Check if the ignition switch is on or if the engine is running; 2) Check if the power light of the host is on (red light), and if the signal light is flickering when detecting the system; 3) Check if the diagnostic cable and the diagnostic base are in poor contact or short circuit; 4) Check if the version of the software is suitable for the vehicle type.
- ✔✔✔ Compatible: The motorcycle scanner uses a 2.4-inch color display, which is easy to operate and easy to carry. It is an ideal tool for motorcycle after-sales maintenance and supports a variety of models. It is suitable for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and also supports engine system functions, bringing you more convenience.
- ✔✔✔ Data reading: You can read the code and display the detailed description of the diagnostic trouble code (DTC). You can erase and reset the code, turn off the check engine light (MIL), clear the code and reset the monitor. It can read and display real-time ECU/PCM data stream, draw functions graphically and store freeze frame data.
- ✔✔✔LCD display: read real-time data stream, and display the continuous data stream information of the vehicle in real-time graph (waveform) display mode. View freeze frame data and check certain vehicle conditions recorded by the onboard computer when emissions-related failures occur.
- ✔✔✔Easy to carry: small size and light weight, with storage box for easy carrying and operation. It is a must-have item for motorcycle repair, find and troubleshoot faults.
- ✔✔✔Service: We are responsible for the product and believe in the quality of the product. Professional functions and high reliability bring you a different experience and ensure the satisfaction of each customer. If you have any questions about our products, we will answer them at any time.
- 【Motorcycle Diagnostics Tool】 High-quality motorcycle EFI system diagnostic instrument can meet the detection and diagnosis of multiple motorcycle EFI systems. The product which adopts a 32-bit processor and a 3.2-inch color screen supports large capacity memory.
- 【Strong Practicability】Freeze data (lock dynamic data for easy viewing) ; Read fault code (read fault code stored by ECU and conduct analysis) ; Erase fault code (clear fault code stored by ECU) ; CO idle speed adjustment ; Actuators test ; Trouble shooting guidance, etc.
- 【Wide Application】 Fit for SYM Cable /// AEON Cable /// HONDA-4P Cable /// SUZUKI-1 Cable /// YAMAHA-2 Cable /// KAWASAKI-1 Cable ///VESPA Cable
- 【Multiple Functions】 Read information system (read ECU version information) ; Read data stream (read the parameter values ??of various ECU sensors).
- 【Satisfying Service】 As a responsible seller ,we provide satisfying products and service.If you have any questions about anything,please feel free to contact us ,we will contact our technician team to give you a perfect solution about it within 24 hours.
- Read and Clear Fault Codes -- Reset Service Reminders
- Control Unit Information -- View Sensor Values Log & Graph Live Values
- Component Function Test -- Component Calibration Adaption Reset and Relearn
- Basic Coding Bleed Tests And much more…
- Now for iPhone & iPad!
- Re-flash a Blank ECU, Program a VIN and KeyFob, Speedometer and Radio & Speaker Calibration, ABS Bleed & Test.
- LED Indicators: 6th gear, ABS service, battery, check engine, cruise control, high beam, low fuel, neutral, oil, security, coolant temp, left & right turn signals.
- Reset Air Fuel Value, Adjust Idle RPM, Fuel Tank Drain, Read & Clear DTCs.
- View Real-time Data in Digital Dashboard or Strip Chart format.
- Testing of: Tachometer, speedometer, fuel pump, idle RPM, system relay, cooling fans, alarm, IAC, ACR compression, injector coils, coolant pump.
- ✅★Practical: This motorcycle OBD II diagnostic tool support SD card to store data, easy to update. Keep CAN BUS interface integration. 5.6 inch TFT color LCD display, high definition, clear and intuitive to read data.
- ✅★Wide Application: This obd2 scanner can be widely used, suitable for Honda, for Kawasaki, for Yamaha, for Suzuki, for Piaggio, for VESPA, and many other Asian models.
- ✅★Multiple Funciton: Support multiple functions,CO idle speed adjustment, with action test, tire pressure system test and anti‑theft system test. Can read system information, data stream, fault codes, support clear fault codes and freeze data.
- ✅★Convenience: Support multiple languages, traditional Chinese, English and Spanish to better meet your needs, more simple and convenient. Easy to install and test, can be installed and used without complicated steps, which can bring you more convenience.
- ✅★Durable: This code reader adopts high quality ABS material. ABS is a thermoplastic polymer material with high strength and good toughness.
Last update on 2021-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API