January 8, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V003000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V003
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 71,301
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2015-2017 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 and 3500 and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 and 3500 vehicles. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the driver frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
DVUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front driver air bag module, free of charge. The recall is began March 15, 2019. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|TO: Mercedes-Benz Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers, Service Managers, Parts Managers||FROM: Anthony Washington, Department Manager, Regulatory Mgmt & Campaigns Vans|
|RE: Recall Campaign 2017030012 – Replace Driver’s-side Airbag, MY 15-17 906 Freightliner and Mercedes-Benz Sprinters||DATE: March 13, 2019|
IMPORTANT RECALL LAUNCH INFORMATION
|Campaign No. :||Replace Takata Driver-side Airbag|
|This Recall Campaign is being launched to replace the driver-side airbag on approximately 81,000 affected MY15 – MY17 Freightliner and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vehicles that are flagged in VMI as of today. Work Instructions are attached and available in Star TekInfo. The recall is being launched in all Zones as defined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This recall was initiated early March 2019.|
|What’s the Concern||The driver-side airbag is affected by this recall based on the defect decision of TK Holdings, Inc. (“Takata”). Under certain circumstances during a crash that necessitates frontal airbag deployment, the defect in the driver-side airbag inflator housing may cause the inflator to rupture. A driver-side inflator rupture during deployment could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants, possibly causing serious injury or death.|
|What We’re Doing||An authorized Freightliner or Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dealer will replace the driver-side airbag module.|
|Parts||Airbags are available and may be ordered as required.|
|Vehicle Model Year(s)||2015 - 2017|
|Vehicle Model||2500, 3500|
|>> Important Next Steps/Notes <<|
Customer Assistance Center (CAC): 877-496-3691
Industry-wide Takata information on the NHTSA website: http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html
|Customer Notification Timeline||Customer notification letters will be mailed late March 2019.|
|AOMS/SOMS||Please forward this notice to your dealers ASAP to ensure they are aware of this recall.|
|While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, DVUSA is determined to maintain a high level of vehicle quality and customer satisfaction. Please refer all customer inquiries to the Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES.|
Campaign No. 2017030012, March 2019
|TO:||ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS|
|SUBJECT:||Model 906, Model Years 2015 - 2017
Replace Driver’s Side Airbag
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Sprinter vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Years 2015 - 2017 Freightliner and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vehicles, the driver-side airbag is affected by a recall based on the defect decision of TK Holdings, Inc. (“Takata”). Under certain circumstances during a crash that necessitates frontal airbag deployment, the defect in the driver-side airbag inflator may cause the inflator housing to rupture. A driver-side inflator rupture during deployment could result in metal fragments striking the front driver or other occupants, possibly causing serious injury or death. An authorized Freightliner or Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dealer will replace the driver side front airbag of the potentially affected vehicles in the Freightliner branded Sprinter vehicles.
Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
- Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
- Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described.
Please note that Recall Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 81,000 vehicles are involved.
- There is a risk of injury or death when performing testing or repair work on vehicles and when handling vehicle components. Be sure to read and observe all relevant safety instructions. This procedure must only be performed by trained personnel using proper tools and equipment.
- Store airbag units with deployment side facing up; do not expose to temperatures greater than 100 °C. When working on these units, disconnect negative battery cable. Refer to WIS: AS91.00-Z-0001-01A for more information.
- Notes on carrying out repair work in the vehicle interior; refer to WIS: AH68.00-N-0001-01S.
- Information on preventing damage to electronic components due to electrostatic discharge; refer to WIS: AH54.00-P-0001-01A.
- Information, assessment and legal requirements when working with, handling and storing pyrotechnical components; refer to WIS: AH91.00-Z-0000-10A.
- Replace driver airbag; refer to WIS: AR91.60-D-0660C.
- Record new airbag part number found on adhesive label with barcode of new front passenger airbag on repair order.
- Requested parts must be returned to the designated QEC test center in accordance with the warranty parts return requirements section found in the policy and procedures manual.
- Use the attached hazmat shipping document as a guide for shipping airbags.
Note (regarding WIS documents referenced in this Procedure):
Replacement of parts not listed in the parts table of this Procedure are not claimable under this campaign. If replacement of additional part(s) is necessary, check coverage prior to submitting under warranty.
Primary Parts Information
|Qty.||Part Name||Part Number||Estimated Replacement Rate|
|1 (as required)||Driver airbag (vehicles of the Mercedes Benz brands without code XM0 model refinement, with code CL4 Multifunction steering wheel)||A 906 860 16 00||100%|
|1 (as required)||Driver airbag (vehicles of the Mercedes Benz brands without code CL4 Multifunction steering wheel)||A 906 860 19 00|
|1 (as required)||Driver airbag (vehicles of the Freightliner brands with code CL4 Multifunction steering wheel)||A906 860 18 00|
|1 (as required)||Driver airbag (vehicles of the Freightliner brands without code CL4 Multifunction steering wheel)||A906 860 17 00|
- Please be aware that only the part number(s) referenced in the Campaign Bulletin is/are approved for use to repair the vehicle. Repairs performed using any other part(s) will not have been performed in accordance with the campaign. Accordingly, warranty claims submitted with reference to an improper part number(s) will be denied.
- The following allowable labor operation should be used when submitting a warranty claim for this repair:
Operation: Replace driver's airbag (02 9540).
|Damage Code||Operation Number||Labor Time (hrs.)|
|91 930 65 7||02 9540||0.3|
Operation Number labor times are subject to change.
URGENT – IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL #2017030013
This notice applies to your vehicle VIN: WD3PE7CC0
Replace Driver-side Airbag Module NHTSA Recall #19V003
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Daimler Vans USA has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2015 - 2017 Mercedes- Benz Sprinter vehicles. Our records indicate that your vehicle is included in the affected population of vehicles.
|What is the CONCERN?||Your driver-side airbag is affected by this recall based on the defect decision of TK Holdings, Inc. (“Takata”). Under certain circumstances during a crash that necessitates frontal airbag deployment, the defect in your driver-side airbag inflator may cause the inflator housing to rupture. A driver-side inflator rupture during deployment could result in metal fragments striking the front driver or other occupants, possibly causing serious injury or death.|
|What will your DEALER DO?||An authorized Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dealer will replace the driver-side airbag module. This service will be provided free of charge. While the minimum repair time is approximately 1 hour, your dealer can provide you with a better estimate of the overall time for this service visit. As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time. You will not be charged for other service or repairs unless so requested.|
|What should YOU DO?
To find the most convenient authorized MB dealer from your smartphone, scan the QR code to the left.
|Schedule an appointment immediately at your preferred authorized Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Dealer. See www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall for the Dealer Locator. Please mention you are scheduling an appointment to replace the Takata driver-side airbag module under Recall Campaign #2017030013. You may be asked for your 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) which for your convenience is located above your name at the top of this letter.|
|Information for Owners||We encourage you to sign up for recall alerts at www.nhtsa.gov/alerts. In the event that you are no longer the vehicle owner, or have had a change of address, please complete the reverse side and return the updated information in the enclosed envelope.
If this is a leased vehicle and the lessor and registered owner receive this notice, please forward this information by first class mail to the lessee within 10 business days to comply with Federal Regulations.
Should you have any questions difficulty regarding this Recall Campaign, please contact an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer. If for any reason a dealer is unable to remedy your situation, we are always happy to hear from you. Please contact us at 1-877-762-8267.
If an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer for any reason is unable to remedy the situation without charge, or within a reasonable amount of time, pursuant to law 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause you, but your safety is of utmost concern to Mercedes-Benz. Sincerely,
12 Affected Products
|MERCEDES BENZ||SPRINTER 2500||2015-2017|
|MERCEDES BENZ||SPRINTER 3500||2015-2017|
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI's insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata's initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata's testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI's investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- Bring Leather Back To Life, Prolongs the Life of Leather. Softens Stiff Leather, Safe to Use on Glove Soft Leather, Furniture, Jackets, Car Seats, Purses, Shoes, and More
- Dermatologist Tested- Does Not Irritate Skin. No Greasy Residue, Reduces Scuffs and Scratches
- Simple & Non Toxic - Condition and protect in one simple step to maintain any finished leather surface
- Use on - Use regularly on accessories such as leather, purses, shoes, boots, briefcases & handbags
- Protect - UVX - Sunscreen protects all types of leather from sun damage, fading, drying & cracking
- Restore - Safely removes dirt, soil & residue to soften, strengthen & moisturize neglected leather
- Recommended - Finished leather surfaces including car interior shoes boots briefcases handbags & coats - Do not use on suede, nubuck, Natuzzi Brand or any unfinished leather
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Multiple applications - For use on automotive interiors and seats, jackets, boots, handbags, couches, sofas, and more
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- 150 year-old formulation that is handmade in USA. ALL NATURAL blend of animal oils and beeswax. Has the consistency of soft butter and "melts" into the leather as it's applied.
- ALL-IN-ONE leather care product. Works as a leather conditioner, leather restorer, leather softener, and leather protector.
- No added chemicals, dyes, perfumes, petroleum, or adulterants. Safe and NON-TOXIC.
- Provides water resistance upon application.
- A little goes a long way and will protect for up to 6 months.
- Leather Protector 8.45 oz - AND - Leather Cleaner 8.45 oz.
- Leather Protector Forms an invisible barrier that safeguards against premature aging and irreversible damage from penetrating stains - Ideal for use on finished, aniline and semi-aniline leather, as well as vinyl
- Improves stain and soil resistance for easier cleaning - Helps protect leather's original feel and color
- Leather Cleaner Cleans free of streaks and dust-attracting residue common with all-in-one cleaners - Maintains leather's intended sheen free from artificial gloss
- Leather cleaning at its best -pH balanced and alkaline-free to preserve leather's soft, supple feel - Ideal for use on finished, aniline, and semi-aniline leather, as well as vinyl - Not intended for use on suede and nubuck
- VERSATILE- Breathe new life into your tired old leather with one simple wipe. Car restoration, antiques, boots, shoes, purses, jackets, couches, and so much more!
- POWERFUL RESTORATION- Bring that retro jacket into the 21 Century! Care Touch wipes will restore luster and reinvigorate your leather, while protecting its soft and supple feel. Just one wipe will soften, strengthen, and moisturize your old and worn out leather!
- PROTECTS SURFACES- Care Touch Wipes applies a clear protective coating that will nourish your leather and protect it from harmful U.V. rays long after you've cleaned it.
- SAFE FOR FURNITURE - This non-toxic, phosphate-free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively, all while leaving behind a light and refreshing scent!
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, AND NOURISHES- Removes dirt, stains, grease, scuffs, and restores the natural sheen of leather. These wipes smell great, are easy to use, are non-greasy, and don't leave behind a residue. You won't have to go to an antique store to get the same level of professional leather cleaning.
- Conditions and Protects Leathers
- Restores Dry, Cracked, and Scratched Leathers!
- Formulated with All Natural Ingredients
- Made with Triple Filtered Beeswax, Unique Blend of Seed Oils, and Naturally Occuring Lipids.
- Cobbler's Choice Brand
Last update on 2019-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API