NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V617
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 39
If the fasteners break, the pedestal or turntable may separate from the vehicle, increasing the risk of injury.
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2018 Altec AC18, AC23, AC30, AC40, AC45 Cranes, D2045, DT65 Digger Derricks, and AA55 Aerial Devices. The rotation platform fasteners may have been overtightened, possibly resulting in the fasteners breaking.
Altec has notified owners, and the rotation bearing fasteners will be replaced, free of charge. The recall began on September 21, 2018. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec’s number for this recall is MAB 692.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
September 20, 2018
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain AC18, AC23, AC30, AC40, AC45, DT65 and AA55 Units. These units have rotation bearing fasteners that can fail. The fastener failure can possibly cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to MAB 692 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement fasteners to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by MAB 692, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the MAB. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 15 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
MANDATORY ACTION BULLETIN
Date: September 21, 2018
Units Affected: AC18, AC23, AC30, AC40, AC45, DT65 and AA55 built at Roanoke between 25 June and 4 September, 2018 (see attached list of specific customer units)
Rotation Bearing Fastener Inspection
This Mandatory Action Bulletin requires immediate action.
This Mandatory Action Bulletin requires a torque inspection of all rotation bearing fasteners before using the unit again. If any fastener fails during the inspection, the unit shall be removed from service immediately until the rotation bearing fasteners can be replaced. Altec has found some rotation bearing fasteners that have failed. The failure of rotation bearing fasteners can cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Investigation has determined that some rotation bearing fasteners may have been initially installed and torqued to a higher value than specified. The fasteners were installed by an electric torque wrench that was not calibrated correctly. Incorrect calibration can cause the fastener to break due to the higher installation torque.
Because of this condition, Altec requires the following actions be taken:
- All affected rotation bearing fasteners must be inspected using the procedure beginningon Page 2.
- If no broken fasteners are found after completing the torque inspection, the unit may beoperated with a daily visual inspection, for up to 30 days after the inspection.
- Rotation bearing fasteners must be replaced no later than 30 days after the inspection.
- If the rotation bearing fasteners are not replaced by 30 days after the inspection, the unit must be removed from service until the fasteners are replaced and correctly torqued.
A list of units and the fasteners that are needed for each unit is on Page 2. Order the needed parts by calling 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) and using the Parts prompt.
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $810 for the inspection and $1350 for the labor to perform this repair. Call 1877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers may be responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
Normal mechanics hand tools and an accurate click-type manual torque wrench that can attain the required torque value are required for the inspection. Read and understand all steps of the instructions before beginning the procedure.
Some units do not require the fasteners on both rotation bearing races to be inspected and retorqued.
- Inspect and retorque both inner and outer race fasteners:
AC18, AC23, AC30, DT65, and AA55
- Inspect and retorque inner race fasteners only:
- In order to inspect the rotation bearing cap screws or bolts, components may need to bemoved or removed to allow fastener access. Refer to the unit Maintenance Manual for specific instructions to allow access for the individual unit’s fasteners.
- Refer to Section 6 in the unit Maintenance Manual for the normal installation fastenertorque value for the unit being inspected.
- Inspect each fastener by loosening ONE fastener at a time and tightening the fastener tothe correct torque value.
- A unit fails the inspection if a fastener breaks when retightened. A unit that fails theinspection MUST be removed from service. The rotation bearing fasteners must be replaced before being returned to service.
- Continue with Steps 4-7 in Section 6, Rotation Bearing Cap Screws procedure to completethe Inspection.
Units that successfully pass the inspection MUST have the affected rotation bearings fasteners replaced no later that 30 days after the inspection. The fasteners MUST be visually inspected daily until replacement. If the fasteners have not been replaced, the unit MUST be removed from service until the fasteners are replaced. Use the procedure in the Maintenance Manual to replace ONE fastener at a time.
NOTE: there are two cards included with this MAB; one is to be returned after the inspection is completed and one to be returned after the rotation bearing fasteners are replaced. Please detach the cards and return them to Altec at the proper time to document the required action so that the unit can be removed from the Altec inspection and repair lists.
Listed below are the kits that can be used to replace the rotation bearing fasteners. Call 1-877GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832), prompt 1 for Parts, to order the kit.
|AC18 & AC23||Inner Race Fastener Kit||990582530|
|Outer Race Fastener Kit||990582534|
|AC30||Inner Race Fastener Kit||990582576|
|Outer Race Fastener Kit||990582577|
|AC40||Inner Race Fastener Kit||990582578|
|AC45||Inner Race Fastener Kit||990582633|
|DT65||Inner Race Fastener Kit||990582638|
|Outer Race Fastener Kit||990582646|
|AA55||Inner Race Fastener Kit||970744769|
|Outer Race Fastener Kit||970744774|
Use the procedure in the maintenance manual when replacing the rotation bearing fasteners.
Owner Notification Letter
September 20, 2018RCONL-18V617-2280
October 3, 2018RCAK-18V617-3665
- 【Lifelike Detail】High Quality & Great Details, According to the prototype design of the Construction machinery so that you will be able to experience the reality of the Engineering Machine at home
- 【Functions】 The working part of the construction vehicle can be moved and load small things to Walk, Forward and Back, Turn Left And Turn Right, Arm Can Rise Up And Fall Down Freely
- 【Provide Imagination】Realistic mini construction vehicles are suitable for the development of kid's imagination and hand coordination. Target age: 8 years or older.toy is made of hard material, and children under 8 years old need adult guardianship when using it.
- 【Material】 Made of highest quality 80% Zinc alloy (except for rubber tires), Able to withstand violent beatings from children.
- 【Size】 Approx 7.87"(L) * 2.36"(W) * 3"(H) With Colorful Window Box, Can be the Gift. The Same can be Used as Home Decoration and Construction vehicle theme party decoration
- Construction vehicle playset – Building LEGO City just got even more exciting with this toy mobile crane, featuring lots of authentic features and functions for hours of imaginative play
- What’s in the box? – Everything kids need to build a multifunctional mobile crane, plus a LEGO City Road Plate for connection to other playsets, and driver and crane-operator minifigures
- Just like the real thing – Kids can lower the support legs, rotate and extend the boom and raise and lower the winch
- A fun toy for kids – The LEGO City Mobile Crane (60324) playset can be given as a birthday or any-other-day gift for boys and girls aged 7 and up
- Ideal for play and display – When built, the Mobile Crane measures over 3.5 in. (9 cm) high, 10 in. (25 cm) long and 3 in. (8 cm) wide
- Crane arm goes up, down, left, right
- Cab door opens
- Instruction manual included
- Requires 6AA batteries, not included
- Die-Cast Engineering Vehicle Model Toy; Scale: 1/55
- Material: Alloy Metal + Engineering Plastic + Rubber; All Materials are Eco-friendly
- More than 95% Similarity of Originals; All Joints Could Rotate Freely
- Suitable Age: 8-Year Old or Above
- Product Size: 19.5 x 4 x 5 cm / 7.7 x 1.6 x 2 inch; Weight: 700 g / 1.5 lb
- Driver's cab made from transparent, break-proof polycarbonate, with a door which can be opened
- Operator’s Cab has a sliding panel door for easy access and the crane swivels 360°
- Crane boom can be extended as one piece with adjusting knob and locking mechanism
- Dimensions: 24.4 x 7.3 x 10.6 extending to 51.2 inch tall
- Incredible realistic detail
- [ Die-Cast Alloy Hook Up & Down ] -- Heavy duty metal hook up and down,the maximum lifting weight range up to 11.02 Lb. Working on bulldozers, excavators, and other tracks as spot on as you can get. Spare battery: B07GR6BXWZ.
- [ Flexible Rotation to Any Position You Want ] -- 680 degree workbench rotation with rubber caterpillar,360 degree RC crane rotation.Both lifting arm and hook can be controlled separately by the remote control,looks really true to life.
- [ 2.4G Remote Control Technology ] -- 2.4Ghz far distance radio control frequency range up to 328ft, anti-jamming capacity support more RC toys playing simultaneously without any interference.Together with other construction vehicles(bulldozer,dump truck,timber grab,fork excavator) would be more fun.
- [ Premium Material Rubber Caterpillar ] -- RTR ready to run,easy adapt to any rugged terrain.recharging batter provide lasting motor to make it drive, rotate, raise and lower both the boom and hook.
- [ Great Toy For Children ] -- The tracks move like the real deal. crane can also inspire young builders on how to build construction tools and how to counter balance loads in the way they construct models. Extra spare battery: B07GR6BXWZ.
- At Dickie Toys you'll find the air pump mobile crane, a detailed scale version of the famous Man construction vehicle
- The boom is operated by Dickie Toys' Patented air pump system
- Simply by pushing the knob in the driver's cabin and operating a lever, The arm can be made to go in and out
- The winch can also be rolled in and out
- This toy vehicle doesn't need any batteries and also has the advantage of training children's motor skills with its clever, pneumatic technology
- Giant 50.4 inch tall Mega Tower Crane Toy operates just like a real crane you see on a construction site!
- The height of the crane can be adjusted if it's too tall for smaller children and it can also move right, left, rise, and decline. (28.8inch , 39.4inch , 50.4inch)
- 2.4G Remote Control Technology - Wireless distance range up to 100 feet with excellent anti-interference.
- The crane is powered by a 4.8V 300mAh battery (included) and the remote control uses 2 AA batteries (not included).
- What's Included - The box Includes: 1 Crane Main Body, 3 brackets, 1 base mount, 4.8V 300mAh Battery pack, USB charging cable, 2.4 Ghz remote controller, 1 Play Log, 1 Bucket. Ages 6 and Up
- Realistic: Toy truck loaded with features, including movable crane, working lights, sounds, and accurate details
- Sound and Light Effects: Engine idling and honking sounds, working headlights
- Multiple Moving Parts: Cab doors open, hood opens to view engine, toy crane pivots and extends, rope extends
- Details: incredibly detailed and accurate replica toy truck for kids. Includes support legs and soft wheels!
- Imaginary play toy vehicle encourages role play and helps reduce screen time
Last update on 2022-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.