October 17, 2023 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23E080000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 23E080
Manufacturer Cummins, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 104
Cummins, Inc. (Cummins) is recalling certain L9N Natural Gas Engines, part number D883007BX03. The rear lifting bracket that attaches to the engine cylinder head may be insufficiently secured, which can allow it to detach.
Dealers will inspect and replace the flanged stud in the rear lifting bracket, as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 15, 2023. Owners may contact Cummins customer service at 1-800-286-6467. Cummins number for this recall is c2735.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
9/15-16/2023 – Cummins investigated the issue and determined that flanged studs from a new supplier did not meet the length requirement. Corrective action (using flanged studs of the correct length) was implemented at engine assembly. Cummins began actions to correct the issue on completed engines in stock at the Cummins engine assembly plant and at affected OEM assembly plants.
10/2/2023 – Cummins conducted a Product Safety Hazard Analysis.
10/10/2023 – Based upon the results of the investigations and although Cummins has no reports of any lifting brackets on the subject engines becoming detached, the Cummins Product Safety Board decided out of an abundance of caution to conduct a safety campaign to address this condition. To date, there have been no reports of injuries related to this condition.
1 Affected Product
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-23E080-5461
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-23E080-8325
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
- 🚒【Muti-functional DPF Regen for 8 Diesel Engines】F802 heavy duty scanner support many exclusive OEM-level DPF functions fit for Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar, International, Volvo, Isuzu, Fuso, Hino. F802 diesel scanner diagnostic tool can perform DPF regen, DPF reset, DPF related information reset, DPR state reset, DPD forced regen, Forced DPR Regen, Ash Service Regen, Reset the soot level, DPD slow regen control, KOEO Test/Standard test, etc, which can 100% meet your maintenance needs.
- 🚛【Compatible with Cummins 】F802 fits for all major truck models which compatible with standard OBD protocols (SAE J1939/ SAE J1708/ SAE J1850/ SAE J1587/SAE J27145). It fits for Cummins engines, such as ISB, ISD, ISL, ISG, ISX, ISC, ISF, ISM, ISBe, QSM11, ISM, QSX15, ISC, ISN, ISK，X12，X15, L9, B6.7, L9N, QSB, etc, which include Freightliner, Kenworth, International, Peterbilt, Volvo Truck, Western Star, Kenworth, Autocar, Western Star, Mack, Ford, Autocar, RAM, Terex, Bluebird and Others.
- 🚒【Compatible with Caterpillar & Detroit 】F802 heavy duty truck scan tool is a 24V diesel truck scanner, it fits for Caterpillar engine truck, it includes C7, C9,C11, C13, C15, C32 engine type, such as Caterpillar, Ford Pick-up, Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kenworth. Besides, F802 also works for Detroit :Engine Type：CPC2，CPC02T，CPC04T，CPC302T (Series 50， Series 55, Series 60，MBE 900, MBE 4000, OM501, OM 502,DDDL 6, DDDL 7, DD5, DD8, DD13, DD15, DD16).
- 🚋【Compatible with International & Volvo】F802 Diesel Diagnostic Scan Tool widely supports International engine ( MaxxForce 5, MaxxForce 7, MaxxForce 11/13, MaxxForce 15, Maxxforce DT9/DT10, International A26) and Volvo engine, such as Volvo(J1708), Volvo(500K) ( D11, D13, D13TC). Its enhanced OEM-LEVEL DPF regeneration function, F802 truck scanner can solve all particle problems for truck owners.
- 🚍【Compatible with ISUZU & HINO】AUTOPHIX 802 works on ISUZU engines (modes: 4HK1-TC, 4JJ1-TC, 6HK1-TC),such as N-Series trucks (NPR, NPR-HD, NQR, and NRR); F-Series trucks (FTR and FVR); H-Series trucks (HTR and HVR). It also fit for HINO engines(modes: J05E, J08E, A09C), such as J05E: a diesel engine for 155 and 195 models ;J08E: a diesel engine for 238, 258, 268, and 338 models; A09C: a diesel engine for XL Series models. 802 will perform professional for your truck.
- 🌟【Unlock Advanced DPF Regeneration】Our diesel scanner diagnostic tool excels in DPF reset, providing active/forced regeneration and advanced DPF state control. Save time and money on DPF maintenance, making it the top choice for truck diagnostics. Elevate your DPF maintenance with our advanced features!
- 🚒【Designed for Cummins Engine Vehicles】HD3400 Plus fits almost all Cummins engines (ISB, ISC, ISD, ISG, ISK, ISL, ISX, ISM, ISN, QSB, X12, X15, B6.7, L9, L9N, QSM11, and more) commonly found in trucks like Freightliner, Kenworth, International, Peterbilt, Mack, Ford, Volvo, Western Star, Autocar, Terex, and school buses like Thomas/Blue Bird, It's also compatible with Komatsu/Sany machinery, Agrifac vehicles, RVs, and more.
- 🚜【Maximize Caterpillar Engine Trucks' Potential!】Deliver top-notch diagnostics and keep your trucks running smoothly with HD3400 Plus diesel scanner, It's exclusively for Caterpillar engines (C7, C9, C11, C13, C15, C32, and more) commonly found in trucks like Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, International, Mack, Volvo. Features include code reading/clearing, live data streaming, ECU retrieval, DPF regeneration and more. Unleash your Caterpillar engine's power!
- 🚛【Tailored for Detroit and Paccar EngineTrucks】Maximize uptime with HD3400 PLUS, Keep your trucks on the road with confidence. It fits almost all Detroit engines(Series 50, Series 55, Series 60, MBE 900, MBE 4000, OM501, OM502, DD5, DD8, DDDL 6, DDDL 7, DD13, DD15, DD16, CPC2, CPC02T, CPC04T, CPC302T and More) and Paccar engines(PX-7, PX-9, MX-11, MX-13 and more) commonly found in Class 7 and Class 8 trucks, medium-duty trucks, light-duty trucks, and semi-trucks.
- 🎁【Stay Ahead with Lifelong Updates】ANCEL HD3400 Plus heavy-duty diagnostic scan tool offers lifetime free updates, ensuring your software remains up-to-date, unlike other truck scanners that may charge annual fees or lack update support. Stay current effortlessly!
- CC2602A Fleetguard Coolant Analysis (Pack of 2)
- Coolant Test Kit, 4 PK 3-Way Strips, Easy to use test strips measure Freeze Point, Molybdate, and Nitrite
- Measures Protection against Liner Pitting, corrosion and coolant dilution, 1 Test strip results in all 3 measurements and overall SCA level
- Each package contains 4 Test Strips
- Results in 45-75 seconds
- Do not risk your Engine, this inexpensive part can save your Engine and your Money
- Designed and built to measure an accurate Oil Pressure reading even in rough performance conditions
- Includes heavy-duty contacts and high conductivity brass terminal
- Direct Replaces a one step installation
- Features rugged heatproof molded insulators
- Package Weight: 1.204 kilograms
- Included components: bare-tool; attachments
- Package Dimensions : 3.9 L x 29.5 H x 17.5 W (centimeters)
- Made in Taiwan
Last update on 2023-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
OMB Control No.: 2127-0004 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23E-080 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Manufacturer Name : Cummins, Inc. Submission Date : OCT 17, 2023 NHTSA Recall No. : 23E-080 Manufacturer Recall No. : C2735 Manufacturer Information : Manufacturer Name : Cummins, Inc. Address : Box 3005 Mail Code COB118 Columbus IN 47202-3005 Company phone : 812-377-5000 Population : Number of potentially involved : 104 Estimated percentage with defect : 30 % Equipment Information : Brand / Trade 1 : Cummins Inc Model : L9N Part No. : D883007BX03 Size : N/A Function : Natural Gas Eng Descriptive Information : This recall covers certain Cummins L9N engines that are equipped with lifting bracket Option Numbers LA9241, LA9242, LA9353 and LA9805 and were built during the identified product date range. These subject engines were sold to OEMs for installation in trucks and transit buses. The production “Begin” and “End” dates provided herein are based on the dates listed on the affected engines’ dataplates (the engine “build date”). Production Dates : AUG 01, 2023 – SEP 14, 2023 Description of Defect : Description of the Defect : The subject engines may have been built with incorrect length flanged stud(s) attaching the rear lifting bracket to the cylinder head. FMVSS 1 : NR FMVSS 2 : NR Description of the Safety Risk : The rear lifting bracket may detach from the cylinder head while the engine is being lifted, possibly causing the engine to swing or fall, potentially resulting in personal injury. Description of the Cause : The flanged studs that attach the rear lifting bracket to the cylinder head may have been 30mm long instead of 25mm long as required on the component Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23E-080 Page 2 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 drawing. This could allow the stud(s) to bottom out in the threaded hole(s) in the cylinder head, resulting in a lack of clamp load on the lifting bracket. Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : None Involved Components : Component Name : Hexagon Double Ended Flange Stud Component Description : Flanged Stud Component Part Number : 3944061 Supplier Identification : Component Manufacturer Name : N/A Address : NR NR Country : NR Chronology : 9/14/2023 – Cummins received a report from an OEM of an engine that was built with this condition. 9/15-16/2023 – Cummins investigated the issue and determined that flanged studs from a new supplier did not meet the length requirement. Corrective action (using flanged studs of the correct length) was implemented at engine assembly. Cummins began actions to correct the issue on completed engines in stock at the Cummins engine assembly plant and at affected OEM assembly plants. 10/2/2023 – Cummins conducted a Product Safety Hazard Analysis. 10/10/2023 – Based upon the results of the investigations and although Cummins has no reports of any lifting brackets on the subject engines becoming detached, the Cummins Product Safety Board decided out of an abundance of caution to conduct a safety campaign to address this condition. To date, there have been no reports of injuries related to this condition. Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23E-080 Page 3 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Description of Remedy : Description of Remedy Program : The remedy is to inspect and replace, if required, the flanged stud in the rear lifting bracket arrangement with the correct length flanged stud. Cummins requests that it be exempt from providing notification of a reimbursement plan. Any pre-notification product failure would have been corrected under the manufacturer’s limited warranty. Accordingly, no person would be eligible for reimbursement pursuant to 573.13. How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : The remedy components are shorter (by 5mm) than the incorrect flanged stud used on the rear lifting brackets. Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : The recall condition was corrected in production on September 16, 2023 by using flanged studs with the correct length. Recall Schedule : Description of Recall Schedule : Cummins expects to notify the OEMs by 10/27/2023. Subject to consultation and agreement with the OEMs, Cummins will conduct the recall, including sending owner notifications. The timing of owner notification will be determined in consultation with the OEMs. Cummins expects to release a safety campaign by 10/22/2023. In any event, Cummins expects to notify owners no later than 12 /15/2023, pending availability of owner addresses from the OEMs. Planned Dealer Notification Date : NOV 22, 2023 – NOV 22, 2023 Planned Owner Notification Date : DEC 15, 2023 – DEC 15, 2023 Purchaser Information : The following manufacturers purchased this defective/noncompliant equipment for possible use or installation in new motor vehicles or new items of motor vehicle equipment: Name : Daimler Trucks NA Address : 4747 North Channel Ave, Portland OR 97217 Country : US Company Phone : 5037544439 Name : Gillig Corporation Address : 451 Discovery Drive Livermore CA 94551 Country : US Company Phone : 5102643833 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23E-080 Page 4 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Name : Hines Specialty Vehicle Group Address : 1951 Reiser Ave., S.E. New Philadelphia, OH 44663 Country : US Company Phone : 3304850665 Name : Mack Address : 7900 National Service Road Greensboro NC 27409 Country : US Company Phone : 3015735972 Name : New Flyer Industries Ltd. Address : 711 Kernaghan Ave. Winnipeg 00 MB R2C3T4 Country : CA Company Phone : 2042246706 Name : Novabus Address : 1000, Industriel Blvd Saint-Eustache, Quebec 00 J7R 5A5 Country : CA Company Phone : 4388431428 Name : Volvo Trucks of North America Address : 7900 National Service Road Greensboro NC 27409 Country : US Company Phone : 3015735972 Name : Peterbilt Motor Company Address : 3200 Airport Road, PO Box 550 Denton TX 76202-0550 Country : US Company Phone : 9402202760 Name : El Dorado Address : 9670 Galena St., Riverside CA 92509 Country : US Company Phone : 9092555796 * NR – Not Reported
*** IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL *** NHTSA Recall No. 23E-080 Cummins Campaign No. C2735 October 24, 2023 Dear Cummins OEM Customer: We are writing to inform you that Cummins Inc. has determined that a safety-related defect exists in certain Cummins L9N engines that are equipped with lifting bracket Option Numbers LA9241, LA9242, LA9353 and LA9805 that were manufactured between August 1, 2023 and September 14, 2023. Cummins has initiated a recall of the subject L9N engines. Our records indicate that some of these engines were shipped to you. A copy of Cummins’ initial Part 573 Defect Notification report is enclosed. This notification was submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on October 17, 2023. As more fully described in the Defect Notification, the subject engines may have been built with incorrect length flanged stud(s) that may detach from the cylinder head while the engine is being lifted, possibly causing the engine to swing or fall, potentially resulting in personal injury. Enclosed is a list of serial numbers for affected engines that our records indicate were shipped to your plants. For engines that have left your control, we encourage you to make a safety defect determination in accordance with 49 USC 30118 et seq. and, as appropriate, to submit a Defect Notification to NHTSA in accordance with 49 CFR Part 573. Cummins will conduct the recall, including notifying owners pursuant to 49 CFR Part 577, performing the remedy, and submitting quarterly status reports to NHTSA. Cummins is requesting that you provide the associated VINs and owner contact information to facilitate owner notification. Please work with your Cummins account team leader to ensure that the requested information is provided to Cummins as soon as possible. As an equipment manufacturer, Cummins has no obligation to file a defect notification to Transport Canada for this recall. If an OEM has an obligation to report the defect to Transport Canada, we ask that you please provide the Transport Canada recall number for your vehicle recall to Cummins. Cummins cannot mail owner letters compliant with Transport Canada regulations without the recall number assigned by Transport Canada. Cummins will provide information to the OEM after mailings are completed so that the OEM can submit the required reports to Transport Canada. Please note that Federal law prohibits delivery of these engines, or vehicles equipped with these engines, under a sale or lease until this condition has been remedied. Cummins is finalizing the plan to make a field service safety campaign available to address this condition and will advise you when the schedule is known. Cummins apologizes for this inconvenience, but we are initiating this action in the interest of our customers’ safety and satisfaction with our products. Thank you for your assistance. Please confirm receipt of this communication. Sincerely, OEM Service and Quality Manager Enclosures: 1. Cummins Part 573 Defect Notification 2. List of ESNs
C. Warranty Field Campaign Campaign Number: c2735 Revision: Released Date: 10-Nov- 2023 Expiration Date (U.S. and L9N Rear Lifting Bracket Mounting Hardware Safety Canada): 31-0ct-2053 Campaign Expiration Date (International): 31-Oct- 2053 Attention • Worldwide distr./ branches and Div./Reg Offices • U.S. I Canadian Dealers • U.S./ Canadian Distr./Branches and Div. Offices (Automotive) If additional information is required, please contact your Cummins Warranty Operations Group Leader. Description This Safety Campaign is being issued to address subject engines that may have been built with incorrect length flanged stud(s) attaching the rear lifting bracket to the cylinder head. Subject engines include certain Cummins L9N engines that are equipped with lifting bracket option numbers LA9241, LA9242, LA9353, and LA9805 and were built between 08/01/2023 and 09/14/2023. Note : This field action provides retroactive coverage for repairs made in anticipation of and prior to the release of this publication. Action In order to qualify for repair under this field action, an engine: 1. will be covered Regardless of coverage status, and 2. must show as OPEN on QuickServe® Online for this field action. Note: The ESN list is attached for reference. After verifying that the engine meets the above requirements, perform the following actions: 1. Remove the stud(s) and install the stud(s) listed in the Parts Section following procedure 016- 001 Engine Lifting Brackets in the appropriate service manual. 2. Claim 1 count of 99-902 for each stud removed and replaced. Material Disposition Materials removed as a result of this field action must be scrapped. Reimbursements Parts Note : Parts quantities listed are OPTIONAL. Use the quantity appropriate for the application to complete the repair. The following parts are covered under this field action: Part Number Quantity Description 394406100 2 SCR,SFC (QTY OPTIONAL) Note : SRTs to gain access that are required to complete the repair, that are sufficiently explained in the claim narrative, may also be claimed on this action. Note: SRTs listed are OPTIONAL. Select ONLY the appropriate SRTs for the repair performed. Labor Using Applicable Access Code and Time SRTCode Description Time (hrs) Technician Administrative 00-902 Time – Road/Field Repair (OPTIONAL) Technician Administrative 00-90F Time – Field Action Service Events COMPLETED CAMPAIGN 99-902 ACTIVITIES (QTY 2 – QTY OPTIONAL) Travel Travel is covered under this field action. Towing is covered under this field action. Note : Please schedule the Technicians time to maximize the number of units that can be repaired on a single visit. When filing claims for multiple ESNs, where travel or towing is required, travel or towing can be filed to ONLY one (1) ESN. Other Claimables Consumables are covered under this field action. Note : Additional parts, such as o-rings, gaskets and fasteners, that are required to complete the repair, but not listed, may be claimed in Other Claimables. Please consolidate all consumables and claim them as one line item in Other Claimables titled CAMPAIGN SUPPLIES or other appropriate selections. Please include brief summaries on the details of items claimed. A lack of documentation in the narrative may result in a reduction in claim reimbursement or claim denial. Claim Instructions For Cummins Dealers, claims for this Field Campaign must be filed via RAPIDSERVE TM Web (rsw.cummins.com). For information regarding RAPIDSERVE™ Web, please reference the “Warranty” tab in QuickServe® Online. If there are additional questions, please contact your local Cummins Distributor. Claim Codes Description Code Account Code: 65 Pay Code: North America Distributor = X Pay Code: North America Dealer = D Pay Code: International Distributor = I Pay Code: International Dealer = R Failure Code: WCHMHA Attachments Click here to see c2735 esn-list.xlsx (/service/engl ish/attach ments/c2735 esn-1 ist.xlsx) Engine Family Fuel System L Gas Plus ISL Gas Design Application Market Application All All Document History Date Details Document Created; 1 0-Nov-2023 Last Modified: 10-Nov-2023