November 9, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V690000
If the vehicle is put into drive while the wheelchair lift is deployed, the vehicle may move forward or backward, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V690
Manufacturer Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Components EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE
Potential Number of Units Affected 615
Daimler Trucks North America LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2008-2021 Thomas Built Buses Minotour school buses. The driver may be able to release the park brake and shift the transmission out of Park and into a drive gear while the wheelchair lift is deployed. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 403, "Platform Lift Systems."
DTNA will notify owners, and dealers will have the wheelchair lift wiring modified as needed, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 7, 2021. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712. DTNA's number for this recall is FL-868.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Defect Information Report
Date of Submission: November 9, 2020
Manufacturer: Daimler Trucks North America LLC
P.O. BOX 3849
Portland, Oregon 97208
Type of Report: ⃝ Safety Defect X Non-Compliance
Model Yr. Start: 2008 Model Yr. End: 2021
Make: Thomas Built Buses
Production Dates: Begin: 01/23/2008 End: 06/04/2020
Descriptive Information: Certain Minotour School buses built on a GM chassis with an optional wheelchair lift
Number potentially involved: 615 Estimated percentage of involve with defect: 100%
Defect / Noncompliance Description
For this Defect/Noncompliance:
Describe the defect or noncompliance: On the affected Minotour vehicles, the driver may be able to release the park brake and shift the transmission out of Park and into a drive gear while the wheelchair lift is deployed.
Describe the safety risk: The potential for the vehicle to have forward or rearward mobility while the wheelchair lift is deployed may increase the risk of injury.
Identify any warning which can precede or occur: N/A
If applicable, identify the manufacture of the defective or noncompliant component.: N/A
Component Name: N/A
Component Description: N/A
Component Part Number: N/A
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance decision: In mid-August 2020, Thomas Built Buses received a report from the field indicating that a Minotour bus could be moved while with wheelchair lift door was open and the wheelchair lift was completely stowed. A review was conducted of the functionality on 2 Minotour buses with different activation options using the NHTSA FMVSS 403/404 test procedures as a basis for examining whether the system complies, and no fault was found at the time. The functionality of the two different Minotour lift activation systems, while apparently meeting the requirements of FMVSS, were not identical. TBB Engineering started a project to review the lift activation systems and make modifications in order to provide consistency in the product options. At the end of August 2020 a potential product improvement was reviewed for functionality. Engineering began the work required to release the new design into production. In September 2020, TBB Engineering questioned the initial observations made in August. October 2020, another review was conducted on a Minotour bus. A discrepancy was identified in the operation observed in August and that observed in October. TBB Engineering began an in depth review of the wiring systems on both of the buses that were reviewed. On November 3, 2020, DTNA determined that a non-compliance to FMVSS 404 may exist on certain Thomas Built Buses Minotour vehicles.
Identify the Remedy
Describe the defect/noncompliance remedy program, including the manufacture’s plan for reimbursement. The wheelchair lift wiring will be modified as needed. Repairs will be performed by Daimler Trucks North America authorized service facilities. Copies of the reimbursement plan will be submitted as a supplemental report when available.
Identify the Recall Schedule
Describe the recall schedule for notifications.: Customer notification will be made by first class mail using Daimler Trucks North America records to determine the customers affected.
Planned Dealer Notification Begin Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Dealer Notification End Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Owner Notification Begin Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Owner Notification End Date: 01/07/2021
Manufacture’s identification code for this recall (if applicable): FL-868
Executive Manager, Vehicle Safety
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
14 Affected Products
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||MINOTOUR||2008-2021|
3 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document- Defect Information Report
Noncompliance Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- MOUNTED CARGO HITCH CARRIER: Designed with easy loading and transporting in mind, our cargo carrier comes equipped with a 42” long loading ramp for wheelchairs, scooters, lawn mowers, small wheeled equipment that also folds up towards the carrier platform after equipment is loaded. Fits into a 2” Class III receiver only, will not work in 1 ¼” hitches.
- MAXIMUM 500LB CAPACITY: This folding cargo carrier can support up to 500 lbs due to its heavy duty steel construction. Use easily as a wheelchair ramp or hitch luggage rack. Weight must be centered and evenly distributed on the platform.
- EASY TO USE: Spring loaded locking pins make this hitch hauler easy to fold, open and lock the ramp in place when in use and carrier folds up towards the vehicle when not in use and storage.
- SAFETY AND SECURITY: Two round reflectors are located on the back for visibility and safety when using at night. With 10 tie down points available for safety straps you will have plenty of ways to secure your cargo.
- DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT: Outside dimensions of the cargo carrier measure 48" long x 27 ¾” wide x 4" high with the platform measuring 46.5" long x 27 ½" wide and the ramp measures 42" long. Total weight of carrier is 75 lbs.
- Weight-sensitive platform, automatically folds when lifted without a scooter on the platform
- Easy to install and adjust, can also be reinstalled if you purchase a new vehicle
- License plate mount included - made in the USA weight capacity 350 lbs.
- Adjustable, adapts to a three or four-wheel scooter without scooter modifications
- Easily carry scooters and wheelchairs behind any car or truck with a Class III or IV 2" hitch receiver
- Folds upright against vehicle when not in use to make driving and parking easier
- Includes an anti-rattle device, 5/8" hitch pin, exclusive ergonomically designed T-handle spring pull pin and 10 tie-down points for maximum security
- Manufactured from durable, powder-coated steel with a 400 lb. weight capacity
- Platform measures 48" L x 27-3/4" W, loading ramp measures 42" L x 27-1/2" W
- Freedom Auto Lift with a Class III Hitch receiver configuration (VITAL INFO NEEDED)
- Aluminum deck size 27.5" X 39", Adjustable cradle extends up to 46” - adapts to a three or four-wheel scooter without scooter modifications
- Weight-Sensitive Platform, automatically folds when lifted without a scooter on the platform
- Easy to Install & Adjust, can also be reinstalled if you purchase a new vehicle
- License plate mount included - Made in the USA - weight capacity 350 lbs.
- Durable black powder coated finish,heavy duty steel construction. It can be used as a carrier and a ramp; simply attach it to your hitch. Provides instant cargo space when your car is out of space.
- Folding ramp can also be locked flat when not in use. 3-position carrier (closed flat, open L-shape & open flat.Tie down straps can be hooked onto any of the tie down holes featured on the ramp sides. Handle on the ramp for easy folding and unfolding.
- Fits All 2" Receiver, Hitch Class III Or IV. Has a 3 inch safety rail. Highly recommended for heavy duty cargo like generator to fix in the middle position.
- Weight Capacity of Ramp: Up to 400 lbs.Total length of ramp when expended is 42 inch. Total weight of carrier 75 Lbs; Weight of ramp (gate) 16 lbs.
- Never exceed the rated capacities of your hitch. Hitch tightener is required to prevent the rack from wobbling,anti wobble plate is not included.
- PREMIUM MATERIAL LIFT SLING TRANSFER BELT - Constructed with strong nylon webbing, the belt stitching is reinforced for exceptional durability. The transfer gait belt back is four inches wide to provide a comfortable experience with greater area of contact to easily disperse pressure. The extra width also enables the belt to handle a higher weight load and not ride up on the patient’s sides.
- GAIT BELT TRANSFER BELTS MAKE TRANSFERS EASIER - Simple, lightweight and convenient. Aids with transitions from bed, chair, car, walker, bathroom, etc. Versatile—use to also help re position in bed, chair.
- HELPS PREVENT CAREGIVER STRAIN - The most common injuries caregivers experience are to the back, neck, and shoulders, often caused by lifting/ pulling motions. Proper use of the Transfer Belt/Sling by Shorewood Medical can help prevent these strains.
- COMFORTABLE, WIDE DESIGN - Non slip and PADDED. Unlike some belts, which can be difficult to fasten and put force on a small area, this Transfer sling/belt is wide and comfortable and won’t slide up.
- WARRANTY - If you are not satisfaction with our transfer aid sling in anytime, feel free to contact us, you will get a full refund or a new replacement with no question asked.
- For wheelchair, transport chair, side-fold rollator
- Fits 1¼" Hitch Receiver. 2"Adapter available
- Car carrier rack allows fully visible taillights
- Hitch-Mount -- full trunk access when not in use
- Keeps Your Mobility Device Safe and Secure
- VERY IMPORTANT: PLEASE reference our Slide 'n Ride Measurement Guide and Vehicle Compatibility List BEFORE PURCHASING because our product DOES NOT FIT EVERY VEHICLE. Compatible with most sedans and lower height SUV's, Vans, and Trucks.
- A transfer seat that is safer and more stable than a transfer board. Use your upper body strength or caregiver assistance to shuffle from our product into and out of a vehicle. Weighs (14 lbs.), folds, and easily stores behind the seat or in the trunk. 500lb. Rated.
- Helps caregivers safely assist passengers while entering and exiting a vehicle. The Slide 'n Ride sets up to a fixed position and DOES NOT SWIVEL. Smaller stature people may still need a step or assistance getting onto the Slide 'n Ride.
- Durable engineering with stainless steel components and patented latching system.
- Health & Flexible Savings Account eligible and saves on the cost of medical transportation.
- Forcemech is a Houston Texas based company that is committed to offer the best Mobility Products.
- All Products Backed By Forcemech's Gold Standard Warranty and Customer Support!
- R2 weights only 43lbs - Lightest in the Industry, Foldable in Seconds.
- Fold-able in seconds - Airplane Travel Approved & Cruise Trip Ready!
- Will give you back your mobility freedom guaranteed or your money back.
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API