November 9, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V690000
If the vehicle is put into drive while the wheelchair lift is deployed, the vehicle may move forward or backward, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V690
Manufacturer Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Components EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE
Potential Number of Units Affected 615
Daimler Trucks North America LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2008-2021 Thomas Built Buses Minotour school buses. The driver may be able to release the park brake and shift the transmission out of Park and into a drive gear while the wheelchair lift is deployed. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 403, "Platform Lift Systems."
DTNA will notify owners, and dealers will have the wheelchair lift wiring modified as needed, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 7, 2021. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712. DTNA's number for this recall is FL-868.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Defect Information Report
Date of Submission: November 9, 2020
Manufacturer: Daimler Trucks North America LLC
P.O. BOX 3849
Portland, Oregon 97208
Type of Report: ⃝ Safety Defect X Non-Compliance
Model Yr. Start: 2008 Model Yr. End: 2021
Make: Thomas Built Buses
Production Dates: Begin: 01/23/2008 End: 06/04/2020
Descriptive Information: Certain Minotour School buses built on a GM chassis with an optional wheelchair lift
Number potentially involved: 615 Estimated percentage of involve with defect: 100%
Defect / Noncompliance Description
For this Defect/Noncompliance:
Describe the defect or noncompliance: On the affected Minotour vehicles, the driver may be able to release the park brake and shift the transmission out of Park and into a drive gear while the wheelchair lift is deployed.
Describe the safety risk: The potential for the vehicle to have forward or rearward mobility while the wheelchair lift is deployed may increase the risk of injury.
Identify any warning which can precede or occur: N/A
If applicable, identify the manufacture of the defective or noncompliant component.: N/A
Component Name: N/A
Component Description: N/A
Component Part Number: N/A
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance decision: In mid-August 2020, Thomas Built Buses received a report from the field indicating that a Minotour bus could be moved while with wheelchair lift door was open and the wheelchair lift was completely stowed. A review was conducted of the functionality on 2 Minotour buses with different activation options using the NHTSA FMVSS 403/404 test procedures as a basis for examining whether the system complies, and no fault was found at the time. The functionality of the two different Minotour lift activation systems, while apparently meeting the requirements of FMVSS, were not identical. TBB Engineering started a project to review the lift activation systems and make modifications in order to provide consistency in the product options. At the end of August 2020 a potential product improvement was reviewed for functionality. Engineering began the work required to release the new design into production. In September 2020, TBB Engineering questioned the initial observations made in August. October 2020, another review was conducted on a Minotour bus. A discrepancy was identified in the operation observed in August and that observed in October. TBB Engineering began an in depth review of the wiring systems on both of the buses that were reviewed. On November 3, 2020, DTNA determined that a non-compliance to FMVSS 404 may exist on certain Thomas Built Buses Minotour vehicles.
Identify the Remedy
Describe the defect/noncompliance remedy program, including the manufacture’s plan for reimbursement. The wheelchair lift wiring will be modified as needed. Repairs will be performed by Daimler Trucks North America authorized service facilities. Copies of the reimbursement plan will be submitted as a supplemental report when available.
Identify the Recall Schedule
Describe the recall schedule for notifications.: Customer notification will be made by first class mail using Daimler Trucks North America records to determine the customers affected.
Planned Dealer Notification Begin Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Dealer Notification End Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Owner Notification Begin Date: 01/07/2021
Planned Owner Notification End Date: 01/07/2021
Manufacture’s identification code for this recall (if applicable): FL-868
Executive Manager, Vehicle Safety
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
14 Affected Products
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||MINOTOUR||2008-2021|
3 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document- Defect Information Report
Noncompliance Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- For scooter or powerchair transport up to 42" x 27" wheelbase
- Works with Class II, III, or IV vehicle hitch receivers
- Includes self-tension retractors, manual crank backup, license plate holder
- Safely supports up to a maximum 350 lbs; durable and reliable construction is made in the USA
- Make sure our lift is the right fit for you by sending us a message with device make/model and vehicle make/model
- Durable black powder coated finish,heavy duty steel construction. It can be used as a carrier and a ramp; simply attach it to your hitch. Provides instant cargo space when your car is out of space.
- Folding ramp can also be locked flat when not in use. 3-position carrier (closed flat, open L-shape & open flat.Tie down straps can be hooked onto any of the tie down holes featured on the ramp sides. Handle on the ramp for easy folding and unfolding.
- Fits All 2" Receiver, Hitch Class III Or IV. Has a 3 inch safety rail. Highly recommended for heavy duty cargo like generator to fix in the middle position.
- Weight Capacity of Ramp: Up to 400 lbs.Total length of ramp when expended is 38.7 inch. Total weight of carrier 75 Lbs; Weight of ramp (gate) 16 lbs.
- Never exceed the rated capacities of your hitch. Hitch tightener is required to prevent the rack from wobbling,anti wobble plate is not included.
- Swing away joint is included - class iii hitch configuration
- Platform: 27.5"w x 39"l adjustable to 46”l - carries most 3 & 4-wheel scooters
- Positive lock-down systems that secures the scooter without additional tie-downs
- Weight-sensitive platform, automatically folds when lifted without a scooter on the platform
- Manufactured from high-strength aluminum and steel
- 400 lb. weight capacity
- Platform measures 27"W x 39"L
- Compatible with class III or IV trailer hitches
- Illuminated license plate holder and quick connect wiring harness included
- For wheelchair, transport chair, side-fold rollator
- Fits 1¼" Hitch Receiver. 2"Adapter available
- Car carrier rack allows fully visible taillights
- Hitch-Mount -- full trunk access when not in use
- Keeps Your Mobility Device Safe and Secure
- 【A Perfect Transportation】 Our aluminum cargo carrier is ideal to carry wheelchair, scooter, lawn mower, snow blower and other cargo you may have, which which effectively solve the problem that these goods are inconvenient to transport.
- 【High Quality Aluminum Material】 Constructed with heavy duty aluminum structure, the cargo carrier is rust and corrosion resistant. It has the maximum bearing capacity of 500 lbs, and it weighs 40 lbs.
- 【Humanized Designs to Keep Safe】 a. Multiple tie-down points for securing your cargo; b. Reflectors to increase safety while driving on the road at night. c. 9” safety rail to prevent cargo from falling down. d. the ramp is secured by two pins to keep it steady and secured.
- 【Applicable to a Variety of Vehicles】 This hitch-mounted carrier is suitable for most vehicles, like trucks, SUVs, or vans. Use this basket carrier to haul cargo behind any vehicle with a Class III or IV 2" hitch receiver.
- 【Detailed Product Information】 The basket measures 50” (L) X 29.5” (W) , and the ramp measures 41.5” (L) X 27.5” (W). Please bring your own M5, M6 and M8 wrenches before installation.
- Heavy-duty steel construction with Pull locks
- 3-position carrier (closed flat, open L-shape & open flat).2" hitch Receiver, hitch class III or IV.Has a 3" safety rail.
- Product Dimension: 31-3/4” (W) × 44-3/4” (L) × 6”(H). Inside Bed Dimensions: 29-3/4" (W) x 43-3/4" (L) x 5" (H). Ramp Dimensions: 29-3/4" (W) x 42-1/2" (L)
- Durable black powder coated finish
- Please fell free to connect us for any question.
- Fits all 2" x 2" Class III and IV hitch receivers
- Inside carrier size: 47" long x 27-3/4" x 7-1/2" deep; Overall carrier size: 50" x 29. 5" x 7. 5"
- Maximum distributed weight capacity: 500 lbs
- Lightweight easy-to-clean, rust-proof aluminum basket with anchor points for securing loads
- Reflectors for increased road safety. Ramp does NOT fold down.
Last update on 2021-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API