July 13, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20E048000
If the axial pivot pin loosens or fails, it may result in separation of the hitch and activation of secondary safety features, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20E048
Manufacturer Curt Manufacturing LLC
Components TRAILER HITCHES
Potential Number of Units Affected 447
Curt Manufacturing will notify owners, and dealers will replace the towbar, free of charge. This recall began August 14, 2020. Owners may contact Curt Manufacturing customer service at 1-800-798-0813.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
NHTSA RECALL 20E-048
This is an important Safety Recall.
The remedy will be provided at no charge to you.
Dear CURT Manufacturing LLC customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
CURT Manufacturing LLC (“CURT”) has determined that a defect exists in certain CURT Rambler RV Towbars (CURT Part No. 70001). You received this notice because your local CURT Rambler RV Towbar distributor or dealer has informed us that you may have purchased one of these towbars.
The affected towbars are marked as CURT Part No. 70001. CURT HAS ALREADY CORRECTED THE UNDERLYING ISSUE, AND BEGUN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING ALL TOWBARS WITH CORRECTED TOWBARS. THE CORRECTED TOWBARS (WHICH HAVE THE SAME PART NUMBER) CAN EASILY BE IDENTIFIED BY A GREEN STICKER ON THE PACKAGING, AND BY A WHITE “DOT” PLACED ON THE TOWBAR ITSELF. SEE ATTACHED. This recall only affects towbars without the green sticker or white “dot.” Please contact CURT or your local dealer if you are not sure whether you have a towbar which is covered by this recall.
What is the Safety Defect and Safety Hazard? The axial pivot pin of the affected towbars can begin to loosen (or potentially break) without warning, which may affect the handling of the towed load to become unstable. This could lead to a crash causing property damage or injury to persons.
What will CURT Do? We will replace the towbar at no charge to you. The replacement towbars will be marked as described above.
What should you do? You should immediately take the following steps:
- You should first determine if you have one of the affected towbars (see above).
If you are not sure, please contact CURT or your local distributor or dealer.
- If you have an affected towbar, you should stop using it immediately.
- You should then contact CURT or your local CURT Rambler RV Towbar dealer to obtain a replacement.
- Your local CURT Rambler RV Towbar dealer may have a replacement towbar in stock, for immediate exchange.
- Replacements can be obtained directly from CURT by:
- Contacting CURT either by our website or calling CURT at the number below.
- As a part of the replacement process:
- You will be asked for information about when and where you purchased the affected towbar, as well as other information (your name, address, and telephone number);
- You will be required to return the affected towbar to CURT. We will provide you with pre-paid return shipping instructions through UPS.
- Immediately upon our receipt of the returned affected towbar, CURT will send you a corrected replacement towbar.
What if I no longer own the affected Rambler RV Towbar? Please contact us immediately with the new owner’s name, address and other contact information. Also, please forward this notice to the new vehicle owner within ten (10) days.
What if you need further assistance? For additional information you may:
- Go to CURT’s website: curtmfg.com
- Call CURT at 877-287-8634, option 2
- Contact your local CURT Rambler RV Towbar distributor or dealer
Please contact us immediately if you need any assistance with this recall. You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe that CURT or your local distributor or dealer have failed or are unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable amount of time.
Your continued satisfaction with your CURT Rambler RV towbar is important to us. We have recalled the affected towbars in the interest of your safety, and to make sure your towbar performs properly. We apologize for this inconvenience, and ask that you complete the recall procedures as soon as possible.
CURT Manufacturing, LLC
White paint dot on the bottom side of the pivot block signifies that the product has been reworked
Green sticker on the front of box above UPC label signifies that the product has been reworked
1 Affected Product
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
|CURT MANUFACTURING||RAMBLER RV TOWBAR|
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20E048-1543
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20E048-6175
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Package Dimensions: 113.665 cms (L) x 34.29 cms (W) x 18.097 cms (H)
- Product Type: Auto Accessory
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Adjustable Universal Tow Bar with 2x Safety Chains for 2" Trailer Ball Hitch - 5000 lbs Towing Capacity
- Fits Most Bumpers and Mounting Area Ranges from 24" to 41" Wide - Works with Sedans, Jeeps, Trucks, Vans, SUVs, etc.
- Hardened, Heat Treated Steel Towing Bar Pulls Weights Up to 5000 Pounds
- Two Inch Fitting Ball Will Tow Vehicles that have the Proper Mount as Long as the Towing Vehicle is Heavier than Vehicle Being Towed
- Easily Expand and Adjust the Width of the Tow Bar and is Compatible with Mounting Areas from 24" to 4"
- BLACK HAWK SERIES - The 48" emergency warning led strobe light bar is constructed with a sleek, low profile stealth design in mind. Fully weatherproof with completely sealed off and encapsulated lightheads. Professional design for emergency workers, postal service, construction vehicle, security hazard warning, volunteers, and other emergency needs.
- PROFESSIONAL EXTREME HIGH-INTENSITY LED - 6th Generation TIR LED Technology with Four 3W High Power LEDs Per lighthead and a total of 22 Lightheads for a total of 88 High Power LEDs. Provides 360°Lighting Coverage During the Day or Nighttime with Flood Lenses for a Maximum Brightness Output that can be Seen Up to 1/2 Mile Away!
- ADJUSTABLE STROBE PATTERNS - You can choose from 15 different strobe flashing patterns. Patterns include Rotating, Flashing, Alternating Left to Right, Right to Left, Traffic Advisor, etc. It also has a memory function to recall the last pattern used.
- HIGH QUALITY - Professional-grade design with a die-cast aluminum shell. Highly durable and made to endure harsh conditions. This rooftop LED strobe is built to last with its rugged sleek frame & sealed weatherproof build.
- EASY INSTALLATION - Adjustable to any rooftop with heavy-duty mounts. Includes a 10ft straight power cable and control box. You'll be set up and ready to go in no time.
- Class III tow bar, for use with towed vehicles up to 6, 500 lbs.
- Off-set triple lugs to better align towing forces and prevent binding
- Includes 7, 500 lb. safety cables
- Easy fold-away tow bar mounts and stores on back of RV
- Legs collapse and extend to lock for easy hook-up
- Class III tow bar, for use with towed vehicles up to 5,000 lbs
- Easy-folding, self-aligning, self-storing tow bar mounts to vehicle base plate
- Automatically locks into towing position.Periodically clean the entire surface of the tow bar with a mild soap and water solution. Wipe dry with a clean cloth
- Ball Mount Tow Bar
- Detaches with only two pins
- DINGHY TOWING. These universal RV tow bars are perfect for dinghy towing or flat towing a car or small vehicle behind your motorhome, adding convenient mobility to your camping adventure
- HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE. This car tow bar is highly adjustable to fit a wide variety of vehicles. The tow bars open and close from a width of 41 inches down to 26 inches
- STANDARD FIT. Once the brackets are bolted onto your vehicle's bumper, this universal tow bar is equipped with a heavy-duty 2-inch trailer coupler to connect to an industry-standard 2-inch trailer ball on your RV
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. To dinghy tow a number of different vehicles, this flat tow bar is rated for 5,000 lbs. The brackets securely mount onto the frame of the car to be used as needed (trimming may be required)
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting protection against the elements, these RV tow bars are covered in a durable black powder coat finish
- 10,000 lbs. capacity
- Steel construction, premium metallic paint
- 2 Inches receiver tube
- Smoother towing over rough roads
- Improved turning radius keeps the towed vehicle safely away from the motorhome in tight turns
- No centering pin – easy to stow, easy to store
- Non-binding latches
- Off-set triple lugs makes unhooking simple
- Rubber boots prevent dirt from getting in the legs
- Safety cables included
- Removeable style base plate with a tab height of 18" and a tab width of 24" apart. 2 hr install time.
- Tow bar is rated at 6,500 lbs. and weighs only 47 lbs. Fits into a 2" receiver. Easy fold-away tow bar mounts and stores on back of RV.
- The off-set triple lugs to better align towing forces and prevent binding and spreads towing force equally without undue stress. Equipped with non-binding latch mechanisms for easier hook-up.
- Brake system, receiver and tow bar locks are not included.
- Read product description for more detailed information. Please note this will not fit on Jeep JK frames.
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API