March 18, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V157000
A reduction in traction may result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V157
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 54
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter vehicles equipped with winter tires. The tires may not have been correctly installed, possibly resulting in reduced traction in wet or snowy conditions.
DVUSA will notify owners, and Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealers will inspect the running direction of the tires, correcting them as necessary. If the thread wear is uneven, the tires will be replaced. All services will be performed free of charge. The recall began May 15, 2020. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3LAUFRI.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|TO: Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers, Service Managers, Parts Managers||FROM: Anthony Washington, Department Manager, Regulations and Certifications|
|RE: Recall Campaign Notification
Model 907 (Sprinter)
Model Years 2019
Tire Running Direction
|DATE: April 27, 2020|
IMPORTANT CAMPAIGN INFORMATION
|Campaign||Campaign Desc. :||Tire Running Direction|
|This is to notify you of the Recall Campaign concerning the rotational direction of the tires on approximately 54 MY19 MercedesBenz and Freightliner Sprinter vans. The recall campaign will be visible on the www.safercar.gov website and may generate questions from customers. All affected VINs will be flagged as “OPEN” in VMI.|
|Mercedes-Benz AG (“MBAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner vans, has determined that on certain Sprinter vehicles from platform 907 (VS30) with factory-equipped winter tires, the winter tires may not have been installed on the correct side of the vehicle in accordance with manufacturing specifications. As a result, in certain weather conditions, such as on wet roads or in snow, the driving characteristics of the vehicle and the traction of the tire, including water dispersal from the tire, could be affected. Insufficient water drainage from the tires could affect driving performance and tire traction and therefore increase the risk of a crash.|
|What We’re Doing||An authorized Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer will check the respective rotational direction of the tires on the affected vehicles and, if required, implement them if necessary.|
|Parts||Parts are not necessary.|
|Vehicle Model Year(s)||Model Year 2019|
|Vehicle Model||Sprinter, VS30 / Platform 907|
|Given this notice, it is a violation of Federal Law for a dealer to sell or lease any new MY19 Sprinter vehicles in dealer inventory covered by this notification until the vehicle has been repaired.
Loaner and demonstrator vehicles may continue to be driven, but must not be retailed until repaired.
Additionally, given this notice, it is a violation of Federal Law for rental companies to rent new MY19 Sprinter vehicles covered by this notification until the vehicle has been repaired.
|Customer Notification Timeline||An owner notification letter will be mailed in early May, 2020.|
|AOMS/SOMS||AOMs – This recall may generate questions from your dealers. Please forward this notice to your dealers ASAP.|
|Rental Fleet Partners||This recall may affect vehicles in your fleet. Please contact your respective DVUSA fleet representative for further information and next steps. For repairs, please contact your preferred DVUSA dealer.|
|While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, we are determined to maintain a high level of vehicle quality and customer satisfaction.|
Campaign No. 2020040014, April 2020
|TO:||ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS|
|SUBJECT:||Model 907 (Sprinter), Model Year 2019
Tire Running Direction
Mercedes-Benz AG (“MBAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner vans, has determined that on certain Sprinter vehicles from platform 907 (VS30) with factory- equipped winter tires, the winter tires may not have been installed on the correct side of the vehicle in accordance with manufacturing specifications. As a result, in certain weather conditions, such as on wet roads or in snow, the driving characteristics of the vehicle and the traction of the tire, including water dispersal from the tire, could be affected. Insufficient water drainage from the tires could affect driving performance and tire traction and therefore increase the risk of a crash. An authorized Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer will check the respective rotational direction of the tires on the affected vehicles and, if required, implement them if necessary.
Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
- Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previouslyrepaired.
- Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as
Please note that Recall Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 54 vehicles are involved.
Order No. V-RC-2020040014
Operation no. of the operation texts or standard texts and flat rates
|Category||Op. no.||Operation text||Time||Acc. no.||Code|
|L||02 1800||Operations: Check running direction of tires||---||40 922 63||VS3LAUFRI|
|L||02 1801||Operations: Remove/install 4 wheel and tire assemblies (after check)||---||40 922 63||VS3LAUFRI|
|L||02 1539||Operations: Extra work for: Remove/install 4 wheel and tire assemblies for installation with wheel lift dolly||---||40 922 63||VS3LAUFRI|
|L||02 1807||Operations: Remove/install one tire (wheel and tire assemblies removed)||---||40 922 63||VS3LAUFRI|
|L||02 1802||Operations: Remove/install 2 tires (wheel and tire assemblies removed)||---||40 922 63||VS3LAUFRI|
Shown on model 907, left side of vehicle
|Danger||Risk of death caused by vehicle
slipping or toppling off of the lifting platform.
|Align vehicle between vehicle lift columns and position the four support plates at the vehicle lift support points specified by the vehicle manufacturer.||AS00.00-Z-0010-01A|
|Topical note||Information on tires / rims||AH40.10-P-9411-01A|
|Topical note||General information on rim / tire conversions||AH40.10-P-1050-01A|
|Topical note||Notes on lug bolts||AH40.10-N-1005-01A|
|1||Check, whether the vehicle is affected by the measure.||Only the entry in the "Extended VEGA Application" (EVA) system in the "Current" tab is decisive for authorized Mercedes-Benz service partners. An additional test of the affected vehicles in the workshop information system (WIS) or vehicle list is thereby not necessary.|
|2||Check running direction of tires (1) on vehicle.||Pay attention to alignment of tire profiles and running direction arrows.
If the running direction is correct on all tires (1),
end the measure.
If the running direction is incorrect on one or more tires (1),
Continue with operation step 3.
|Special instructions for lifting and supporting vehicle||AH00.60-N-0100-01TS
|4||Correct running direction of affected tires.|
|f||To do so, detach the wheels and rotate between the sides of the vehicle or axles so that the running direction is correct again. Then mount the wheels again.
|f||If the running direction of the wheels cannot be corrected by rotation,
continue with operation step 5.
|5||Correct running direction of affected tire (1).||If rotation of the wheels does not provide a remedy.|
|To do so, remove the tire (1) and mount again with the correct running direction.||AR40.10-D-1030TS|
Parts ordering note
|Tires (tire make Continental, LT 245/75 R16)||As needed|
|Valve (see XENTRY parts information)||As needed|
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Mercedes-Benz AG (“MBAG”), the manufacturer of Freightliner Sprinter vans, has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2019 Freightliner Sprinter vehicles. Our records indicate that your vehicle is included in the affected population of vehicles.
|What is the CONCERN?||MBAG determined that on certain Freightliner Sprinter vehicles with factory-equipped winter tires, the winter tires may not have been installed on the correct side of the vehicle in accordance with manufacturing specifications. As a result, in certain weather conditions, such as on wet roads or in snow, the driving characteristics of the vehicle and the traction of the tire, including water dispersal from the tire, could be affected. Insufficient water drainage from the tires could affect driving performance and tire traction and therefore increase the risk of a crash.|
|What will your DEALER DO?||An authorized Freightliner Sprinter dealer will check the respective rotational direction of the tires on the affected vehicles and, if required, implement them if necessary. This service will be provided free of charge. While the minimum repair time is approximately 2 hours, your dealer can provide you with a better estimate of the overall time for this service visit. As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Freightliner dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time. You will not be charged for other service or repairs unless so requested.|
Schedule an appointment immediately at your preferred authorized Freightliner Sprinter Dealer. See www.freightlinersprinterusa.com/freightliner/owners-resources/recall for the Dealer Locator. Please mention you are scheduling an appointment to check the respective rotational direction of the tires under Recall Campaign # 2020040014. You may be asked for your 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) which for your convenience is located above your name at the top of this letter.
We encourage you to sign up for recall alerts at www.nhtsa.gov/alerts. In the event that you are no longer the vehicle owner, or have had a change of address, please complete the reverse side and return the updated information in the enclosed envelope.
If this is a leased vehicle and the lessor and registered owner receive this notice, please forward this information by first class mail to the lessee within 10 business days to comply with Federal Regulations.
Should you have any questions difficulty regarding this Recall Campaign, please contact an authorized Freightliner Sprinter dealer. If for any reason a dealer is unable to remedy your situation, we are always happy to hear from you. Please contact us at 1-877-762-8267.
If an authorized Freightliner dealer for any reason is unable to remedy the situation without charge, or within a reasonable amount of time, pursuant to law 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause you, but your safety is of utmost concern to Freightliner.
Daimler Vans USA, LLC
One Mercedes-Benz Drive
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
Phone (770) 705-0600
If for any reason YOU NO LONGER OWN THIS VEHICLE OR have a CHANGE OF ADDRESS, please COMPLETE THE SECTION BELOW, place in the ENCLOSED ENVELOPE, and DROP IN ANY MAIL BOX. If possible, provide the name and address of the present owner so that we may contact them.
Chronology of Defect (too many characters for the recall portal comment box)
MBAG initially became aware of a potential issue related to the mounting of the wheels onto VS30 Sprinter vehicles after a notification from the US production plant in Charleston (SC) at the end of July 2019. The plant notification indicated that it had found that on a single vehicle, wheels with a pre-mounted winter tire and rim were not installed in sequence. The production plant receives wheels from third-party logistics facilities which have tires that have been pre-mounted onto wheels along with rims. The third-party facilities are responsible for sequencing the wheels, with tires and rims, so that when they are received, the wheels are already placed in the order in which they will be installed on the production line.
Following the plant notification and into August 2019, MBAG conducted a manual review of all vehicles that remained at the plant and corrected the mounting and installation of wheels on the vehicles located within the factory.
MBAG also launched an investigation to understand whether the issue may have been broader than the vehicles captured at the plant. As part of this review, MBAG considered whether the discrepancy found in the plant notification was limited to winter tires or also affected or other types of tires, whether incorrect tire types or sizes were installed and various analyses of the potential effects of altering the locations of the vehicle on which tires are installed.
MBAG conducted this portion of the investigation from September 2019 until November 2019 which included a detailed step-by-step analysis of the logistics process for the parts from the factory in Germany, through the hands of two third-party logistics companies before reaching the assembly location in the vehicle plant in Charleston, SC, including how the wheels with tires are sequenced onto carriers for installation at the plant. This portion of the investigation also identified that in some cases, the manner of sequencing led to more than two tires for designated for one side of the vehicle to be installed and MBAG considered the effects of installing the wheels and tires in this manner.
In February 2020, MBAG confirmed that there were vehicles in the field that were affected by each of the issues affecting the sequencing of the tires and on March 11, 2020, MBAG determined that a safety risk could not be ruled out and decided to initiate a recall campaign.
To date MBAG is not aware of any complaints concerning this matter from the field.
8 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Miscellaneous Document- Supplemental Chronology
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- 2 tires included, Bolt Pattern: 5 lugs on 4.5", Rim Diameter: 15", Rim Width: 6" ,Tire Size: ST205/75D15, Tire Load Range: C = 6 Ply Construction
- Fit for Trailer Only, Not for other vehicular use
- Built-in rim endows the tire with great strength and support, so the tire won't easy deform
- Made with high-class rubber material in exquisite workmanship, ensures ultra quality and reliability, easy to install
- With exquisite pattern on the tire, it has great anti-slipping feature
- Set of 4 New Premium FREE COUNTRY Radial Trailer Tires 225/75R15 10PR
- Full cap ply ( nylon overlay cross entire tread area), significant upgrade from most other products on the market have nylon strips on shoulder area only, add the critical safety feature!
- Featured "Scuff Guard" ring on tire wall for better tire side protection
- Heavy duty 10 ply rated, load range E. Steel belted, speed rating L----75mph.
- Designed for trailer use only, no rims included
- Tire Size: 225/75R15 Load Range: E
- Tire Weight Rating: 2830 Lbs. Max. Pressure: 80 PSI
- Overall Diameter: 28.2"
- Compatible with popular boat trailer brands such as Alumacraft, Continental, Crestliner, Karavan, Lund, Mako, Nitro, Ranger, Regency, River Pro, Sea Ray, Smoker Craft, Stratos, Striper, Sun Tracker, Tahoe, Tracker, Triton, Triumph, Warrior and Yamaha.
- Compatible with popular utility and cargo trailer brands such as Big Tex, Carry-On, E-Z Hauler, FastTrac, Lark United, Miska, Performance Trailers, PJ, Quality Trailers, Remeq, Road Force, Teske, Top Hat, Triple Crown and Wells Cargo.
- 15X6 6X5.5 ST225/75R15 10 PR
- LOAD RANGE E 10 PR
- WEIGHT RATING 2830 LBS
- Country of Origin : United States
- The Package Height of the Product is 11.9 inches
- The Package Length of the Product is 41.5 inches
- The Package Width of the Product is 41.5 inches
- Improved tread wear
- Greater heat resistance
- Increased durability
- Fit Type: Vehicle Specific
- Load Capacity: 2150
- Country of Origin : Mexico
- Puncture resistant casing for more retread cycles
- Curbing ribs protect the casing from sidewall damage
- Special tread compound resists scuffing
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
- Designed for short or long-distance use with trailers used for boating, cargo, utility, or horse and stock, as well as towable RVs and toy haulers
- Compatible with popular boat trailer brands such as Alum craft, Continental, Crestline, Caravan, Lund, Make, Nitro, Ranger, Regency, River Pro, Sea Ray, Smoker Craft, Stratus, Striper, Sun Tracker, Tahoe, Tracker, Triton, Triumph, Warrior and Yamaha
- Compatible with popular utility and cargo trailer brands such as Big Tax, Carry-On, E-Z Hauler, FastTrack, Lark United, Mischa, Performance Trailers, PJ, Quality Trailers, Remez, Road Force, Teste, Top Hat, Triple Crown and Wells Cargo
- Refer to your existing tire sidewall and/or trailer owner's manual to determine the appropriate tire size and load capacity for your application. Max Capacity: 2, 830 pounds, Maximum PSI: 80
- This is a tire only. Wheel is not included. This model number (6H04621) is a direct replacement for the Carlisle Radial RH Series model number 5151411
- Set of 4 Premium Trailer Tire 205/75R14 ST 205/75R14 205 75R14; Tire Load Range: D = 8 Ply Construction
- Max Capacity: 2040 pounds; Maximum PSI: 50; Rim Diameter: 14"; Rim Width: 5.5"
- Refer to your existing tire sidewall and/or trailer owner's manual to determine the appropriate tire size and load capacity for your application.
- Nylon cap ply ( nylon overlay cross entire tread area), significant upgrade from most other products on the market have nylon strips on shoulder area only, add the critical safety feature!
- We ship your orders depending on their weight, when you make a single purchase of two or more tires, these tires will be packed in multiple packages which may not arrive at their destination at the same time.
- Made in Mexico
- Package Height: 32.01"
- Package Length: 32.01"
- Package Width: 8.62"
Last update on 2020-11-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-11-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API