January 24, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V044000
If left unattended, the overheated solenoid can increase the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V044
Manufacturer Reading Truck Body, LLC
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 189
Reading Truck Body, LLC. is recalling certain 2017-2018 Master Mechanic Series Crane Truck Bodies. The crane solenoid may overheat and cause the crane to lose function.
Reading Truck will notify owners, and dealers will replace the solenoid, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2020. Owners may contact Reading Truck customer service at 1-800-458-2226.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Doc. No.: FI-53
FIELD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Basic shop equipment (sockets, wrenches, etc) and PPE.
- Wire strippers and crimpers.
- Cleaning supplies.
- Ring terminals (for #10 post).
- COLE #24059 4-post solenoid.
- 15’ of black 10ga wire (based on application).
Note: All images in this document are for reference purposes only.
It is the installer’s responsibility to ensure all OEM chassis equipment, body and/or products are not damaged during set-up or installation.
Incorrect: 3-Post Solenoid
Correct: COLE #24059 4-Post Solenoid
Solenoid Replacement Steps:
- Disconnect the positive (+) and negative (-) wires from the OEM vehicle battery.
- Disconnect the POWER, TRIGGER, and LOAD wires from the 3-post solenoid shown in Figure 1 below.
- Unbolt the 3-post solenoid from its mounted location and remove the GROUND wires from mounting bolt when applicable. (Set the hardware aside for future use).
NOTE: The 3-post solenoid is “case grounded”, which is why the GROUND wires are not connected to a post on the solenoid.
- Remove ring terminal connection from the existing ground wire/wires and replace it with a new ring terminal sized for a #10 post.
- Install the new 4-post solenoid in the same location as the existing 3-post solenoid.
DO NOT reinstall the ground wires to the mounting bolt as shown in the Figure 1. The new solenoid has a dedicated ground post.
- Reconnect the existing POWER, TRIGGER, LOAD, and GROUND wires in the locations shown in Figure 2 below.
NOTE1: If no ground wire was used on the 3-post solenoid, one must be added.
NOTE2: Solenoids may have varying quantities of wires on each post based on application. Be sure to reconnect all wires to their original locations.
Ex. If (2) wires are connected to the LOAD side of the 3-post solenoid, the same (2) wires must be reconnected to the LOAD side of the 4-post solenoid.
- If there is no 60A circuit breaker installed between the vehicle battery and POWER post on the solenoid, please call Service Department. Contact information is on the last page.
- Reconnect the positive (+) and negative (-) wires from the OEM vehicle battery.
- Test each function controlled by the solenoid.
- Return the 3-post solenoid via call tag.
January 27, 2020
To: All Reading Distributors Re: NHTSA Recall 20V-044
This notice is to advise you that Reading Truck Body (Reading) has decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in certain panel body trucks.
What Is The Concern:
Reading has found that the solenoid installed in certain Master Mechanic Series Crane Bodies equipped with a Stellar Crane may overheat. If the solenoid overheats and is left unattended, it could impair the functionality of the crane and can increase the risk of a thermal event and risk of injury to users.
The recall affects the bodies indicated below:
- Master Mechanic Series Crane Bodies with a Stellar Crane manufactured between January 1, 2017 - January 2, 2020
What Should You Do:
A list of affected VINs is attached. You may currently have an affected truck body in your possession. If so, please call 1-844-863-7300 ext.79717 to make arrangements to have the vehicle repaired. In the interim, federal law prohibits the sale of any new motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment under a recall, until it has been remedied. Please see below for further information.
Reading will shortly begin contacting vehicle owners regarding the recall and associated repair. The campaign is scheduled to begin on or about January 17, 2020. Customers will be directed to make an appointment with an authorized Reading repair facility.
Under the recall, the solenoid will be replaced with a part sourced from a different supplier and that contains a dedicated ground. The repair is estimated to take approximately 2 hours to complete.
Notice Pursuant to Federal Law:
Please note, it is a violation of Federal Law for a distributor to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by the notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. 49 C.F.R. § 577.13.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Reading is committed to maintaining a level of truck body excellence that exceeds your expectations now, and in the future.
2 Affected Products
|READING TRUCK||MASTER MECHANIC CRANE||2017-2018|
4 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Latest Recalls Documents
- QUICKCAR RACING PRODUCTS Heavy Duty Ford Style Starter Solenoid P/N 50-430
- Resistance is 14Ω, Capacity is 10.2W, Contacts:Normally Open (NO)/ 12VDC WITH 2 COPPER POINT
- Replaces:70-111224,3635820, 1114208, 1114218, 1114223, 1114534, 1114547/ Bracket:Straight;Spst, One circuit: Off - On, Bracket mounting:Holes 5/16 x 19/32 2-13/64 on center
- Our Coil Roll is using 180℃ copper wire, Cover is Nickel-Plating, Meet Environmental Plating Requirment, And Avoid Rusting, Shining
- Max Transient current can be 300A, but Continuous Working Current recommend under 150 Amp/ WARRANTY: Life Long Warranty and Free Return and Full Refund
- Note: Normally Make 80A as Working Current, Need Break 5 sec on, 50 min off -/ If u need a long working one, pls note us.
- Contacts:Normally Open (NO)/ Flat Base Metal Case / 10-32 Terminal
- 3 Pole Battery Isolation Solenoid, 12VDC With 2 Copper Point,Housing plated Steel Case / 180Flat mounting bracket./ Mounting holes: 5/16 x 19/32, 2-13/64 on centers.
- Our Coil Roll is using 180℃ Copper. Max Current Above 200amp/ Rate Current: 100A / Our Cover is Environmental Plating,Sealed Unit Protects Solenoid From The Elements Helping Prevent Corrosion
- INSTIALL：One side goes to Battery, opposite side to starter, top screw which is smaller goes to switch or key start only. It is already grounded internal.
- Note:If it is the energizing circuit which is typically 16/18 Awg , suggest a 5amp fuse;If 10 Awg wire suggest 30 amp auto cicuit breaker; If high output alternator, suggest an 8 Awg wire with a 50 Amp auto circuit breaker
- This is part of the Solenoid & Relays Product Line for Cole Hersee
- Contacts:Normally Open (NO)
- Housing Materials:Plated Steel, PVC Coated
- Bracket:Straight; Bracket mounting:Holes 5/16 x 19/32 2-13/64 on center
- 100% NEW and Made with the Highest Quality Components Available
- Full One Year Warranty
- Computer tested for consistent Quality and unsurpassed reliability
- Solenoid - Voltage: 12V Amperage: 150 Amps Duty Cycle: Continuous Source: Aftermarket
- Factory direct pricing with no middleman markup delivers exceptional value
- Replaces OEM Numbers : ARROWHEAD : SMR6005K2, J & N : 240-20022
- Specs : Unit Type : SOLENOID KIT (COMPLETE), Fan Type :
- 1-year warranty protects you after your purchase
- 100% New aftermarket unit built to meet OEM specifications
- New* NPBoosted Heavy Duty Winch Relay Solenoid 12V 500 Amps / 5000lb - 12000lb ATV UTV 4X4 Truck / Boat
- ONE (1) Single Winch Solenoid Control Box
- This replaces your entire winch control box and solenoids, no matter what brand of winch.
- Brand New Kit / In packaging
- Other Part Number: ATV MOTORCYCLE BOAT CAR TRUCK SIDE BY SIDE 4X4
- Housing, plated steel case
- Studs, copper 5/16-Inch -24 thread, hex nuts and lock washers included
- Coil, ignition and ground terminals, Steel 10-32 thread, hex nuts and lock washers included
- Bracket mounting holes 5/16-Inch x 19/32-Inch (7. 9 x 15. 1) on 2 13/64-Inch centers (56. 0mm)
- 85A Normally open contacts, SPST, one circuit, Off - On
- Contacts:Normally Open (NO)/ 24VDC With 2 Copper Point, Solid Shell/ Copper 5/16-Inch -24 thread,
- Max Transient current can be 300A/ Rated Current is 150A/ SPST, One Circuit, Off - On
- Ignition coil wire is 180℃ ,Our Cover is Environmental Plating ,Sealed Unit Protects Solenoid From The Elements Helping Prevent Corrosion
- Number:5945-01-516-0446, 5945-00-081-9491/ Make 80A Break 10 sec on, 30 min off -
- Note: Capacity is 10.2W, If u want Working Long with low capacity, pls contact to change Resistance
- If you find the product is damaged after receiving the product, it may be due to logistics reasons, please contact me for the first time to return / refund / exchange
- The flat base eases mounting and a remote under hood starter switch or timing light hook-up can be easily adapted
- Replaces B-6A-11450A,C6AF,C7AF ,C9AF,SS588 F496 66-200 SNLS-135 SS581 SW3 SW3
- 100% New aftermarket unit built to meet OEM specifications & 100% shipping from the United States
- We provide 1 years’ warranty for all of our products since the purchasing day
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API