January 30, 2018
In the event of a fire, if the fire extinguisher does not function properly, it can increase the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V083
Manufacturer Daimler Trucks North America LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 606
Daimler Trucks North America LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2002-2017 Thomas Built Buses Saf-T-Liner C2, Saf-T-Liner HDX, FS65, and Minotour school buses, equipped with Kidde Plastic-Handle or Push Button 'Pindicator' Fire Extinguishers. These extinguishers may become clogged, preventing the extinguisher from discharging as expected or requiring excessive force to activate the extinguisher. Additionally, in certain models, the nozzle may detach from the valve assembly with enough force that it could cause injury and also render the product inoperable. For a full list of the affected fire extinguisher models visit: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RMISC-17E062-5427.pdf
DTNA will notify owners instructing them to contact Kidde for a replacement fire extinguisher, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 30, 2018. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712 or Kidde customer service at 1-855-262-3540 or online at www.kidde.com and click on "Product Safety Recall" for more information. DTNA's number for this recall is FL-759.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
North America LLC
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle(s)
Subject: Kidde Fire Extinguishers
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Daimler Trucks North America LLC, on behalf of its Freightliner Trucks Division and its wholly owned subsidiaries, Western Star Truck Sales and Thomas Built Buses, has decided that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists on specific Freightliner Cascadia, Century Class, Columbia and Coronado model vehicles; Western Star 4700, 4900, 5700, 5900, and 6900 model vehicles; and Thomas Built Buses Safe-T-Liner C2 or HDX, FS65, and Minotour model buses manufactured July 11, 2002, through August 19, 2016, and equipped with certain Kidde Safety fire extinguishers.
Certain fire extinguishers may become clogged or require excessive force to activate. In certain models, the nozzle may detach from the valve assembly with enough force that it could cause injury and/or render the product inoperable.
Kidde Safety will provide a replacement fire extinguisher at no charge. Contact Kidde directly toll free at (855) 271-0773 from 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, or online at www.kidde.com for a new extinguisher. Please keep your original extinguisher until you receive the replacement.
If you have leased this vehicle, Federal law requires that you forward this notice to the lessee within 10 days. If you are a subsequent stage manufacturer, Federal law requires that you forward this notice to your distributors and retail outlets within five working days.
If you have questions about this Recall, please contact Kidde customer service at (855) 271-0773. If you are not able to have the defect remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236 (TTY: 800-424-9153); or to http://www.safercar.gov.
WARRANTY CAMPAIGNS DEPARTMENT
Defect Information Report
|Date of Submission:||January 30, 2018|
|Manufacturer:||Daimler Trucks North America LLC
P O. BOX 3849
Portland, Oregon 97208
|Type of Report:||X Safety Defect||O Non-Compliance|
|Model Yr. Start:||2002||Model Yr. End:||2017|
|Make:||Thomas Built Bus|
|Model:||Saf-T-Liner C2, FS65, Saf-T-Liner HDX, MinoTour|
Number potentially involved: 606 Estimated percentage of involve with defect: Unknown
Defect / Noncompliance Description
For this Defect/Noncompliance:
Describe the defect or noncompliance: Kidde states per NHTSA recall 17E-062 "The fire extinguishers may become clogged or require excessive force to activate. In certain models, the nozzle may detach from the valve assembly with enough force that it could cause injury and also render the product inoperable."
If a noncompliance, provide the applicable FMVSS:
O Check if this recall only affects products in certain geographic regions.
Describe the safety risk:
If applicable, identify the manufacture of the defective or noncompliant component.
1016 Corporate Park Dr
Mebane NC 27302
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
Provide the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance decision.:
In October 2017, DTNA became aware of a potential issue related to certain Kidde fire extinguishers.
DTNA began an investigation to determine the scope and consequences of the issue. In November 2017, Kidde releases CPSC Recall 18-022 and NHTSA Recall 17E-062. In December 2017, DTNA decided to initiate a voluntary safety recall for non-school vehicles equipped with potentially defective Kidde fire extinguishers. Late December, Kidde informs DTNA that certain Canadian specified fire extinguishers may have been installed in certain Thomas Built Bus school buses. In January 2018, further investigation revealed that certain US school buses were also equipped with the affected Canadian fire extinguishers. In January 2018, DTNA decided to initiate a voluntary safety recall for school buses equipped with potentially defective Kidde Canadian specified fire extinguishers.
Identify the Remedy
Describe the defect/noncompliance remedy program, including the manufacture's plan for reimbursement. Kidde will provide a replacement extinguisher. Copies of the reimbursement plan will be submitted as a supplemental report when available.
Identify the Recall Schedule
Describe the recall schedule for notifications.:
Kidde will notify affected owners via customer notification letter by first class mail using Daimler Trucks North America records. Kidde will report quarterly completion rates on behalf of Daimler Trucks North America.
|Planned Dealer Notification Begin Date:||03/30/2018|
|Planned Dealer Notification End Date:||03/30/2018|
|Planned Owner Notification Begin Date:||03/30/2018|
|Planned Owner Notification End Date:||03/30/2018|
Manufacture's identification code for this recall (if applicable): FL-759
Manufactures Comments to NHTSA Staff
Owner notification will be conducted by Kidde using contact information supplied by DTNA. Quarterly reports will be submitted by Kidde on behalf of DTNA.
Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
64 Affected Products
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||FS-65||2002-2017|
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||MINOTOUR||2002-2017|
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||SAF-T-LINER C2||2002-2017|
|THOMAS BUILT BUSES||SAF-T-LINER HDX||2002-2017|
8 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Miscellaneous Document- 573 Recall Report
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-2
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- First alert's home1 fire extinguisher is UL rated 1 A: 10 B:C; it features durable all metal construction with a commercial grade metal valve and trigger
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical equipment fires
- Use monoammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; Rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- Metal pull pin with a safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge and tampering; Corrosion resistant, easy to read, color coded metal gauge; Waterproof label with easy instructions
- U.S. coast guard approved for marine use
- Includes Wall Mount****
- 2A10BC Rating
- 2 Pack
- 2A10BC Rating
- The First Alert EZ Fire Spray Portable Fire Extinguisher discharges 4 times longer than a traditional fire extinguisher, providing 32 seconds of firefighting time
- Light aerosol can is easy to hold, carry, and use; ideal for kitchen, garage, boat, RV, dorm, and more
- Extinguishes paper, fabric, wood, grease, and electrical fires
- Formula is biodegradable and nontoxic and wipes clean
- 3-year limited warranty; ETL rated
- MULTIPURPOSE USE| Fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical-equipment fires
- ALL-METAL CONSTRUCTION | UL rated 1-A:10-B:C; durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and trigger
- EXTINGUISHING AGENT | Uses monoammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- PULL PIN WITH SAFETY SEAL | Helps prevent accidental discharge and tampering; waterproof label with 4-step instructions
- METAL GAUGE | Corrosion-resistant, easy-to-read, and color-coded metal gauge provides accurate measurement
- ABC Dry Chemical, Class A:B:C Extinguisher
- For use on Class A (ordinary combustibles), Class B (Flammable liquid) spills or Fires involving live electrical equipment (Class C)
- 14 sec. discharge time
- All metal valve construction, Aluminum Valve
- Includes Wall Bracket
- Multipurpose protection: Fights Class A, B, and C fires and is UL rated 2-A:10-B:C
- Easy to read: Gauge tells you when fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use
- Light weight: Durable corrosion resistant aluminum cylinder
- Clear instruction label: Shows the steps required to operate the extinguisher
- Quick and powerful: Discharge time of 13 to 15 seconds, a discharge range of 10 to 15 feet, and an operating pressure of 100 PSI
- The First Alert HOME2PRO Fire Extinguisher is UL rated 2-A: 10-B: C and meets minimum 2-A: 10-B: C code requirements; it features durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and trigger
- Heavy-duty fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, oil, and electrical-equipment fires; ideal for offices, homes, and workshops
- Uses monoammonium phosphate extinguishing agent; rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- Includes mounting bracket and easy-to-read, color-coded, corrosion-resistant pressure gauge
- 12-year limited
- RUGGED - Six-year warranty, Dependable drawn steel cylinders, Stored pressure design, All-metal valve construction, Durable high gloss polyester powder paint
- BRASS VALVE | HEAVY DUTY - Chrome-plated brass valve body, Stainless steel handle and lever
- ALUMINUM VALVE | LIGHT TO MEDIUM DUTY - Anodized aluminum valve body, Anodized aluminum handle and lever (Temperature range from -65° F to 120° F)
- USER-FRIENDLY - Easy and more economical to maintain and service, Large loop pull pin, Bar coded and bilingual labels
- EXTRAS - (1) 12" x 4" Fire Extinguisher Sticker Sign and (1) 4" x 2.5" Inspection Tag - Blank
- First Alert DHOME1 fire extinguisher is UL rated 1-a: 10-b: C and features durable all-metal construction with a commercial-grade metal valve and trigger; the designer Pewter Color matches modern home designs
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher fights wood, paper, trash, plastics, gasoline, Oil, and electrical-equipment fires
- Uses monoammonium Phosphate extinguishing agent; rechargeable by certified professionals after use
- Metal pull pin with a safety seal to help prevent accidental discharge and tampering; corrosion-resistant, easy-to-read, color-coded metal gauge; waterproof label with easy instructions
- U. S. Coast guard–approved for marine use
Last update on 2020-11-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-11-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API