June 17, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V465000
If the brake lines leak, the parking brake may drag, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V465
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Components SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
Potential Number of Units Affected 328
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2003-2019 Altec AD108 Cable handlers and HLIW-T Trailer Mounted Insulator Washer vehicles. The vehicles may be equipped with non-DOT brake line fittings that may leak at the air fittings. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 106, "Brake Hoses."
Altec will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles and replace the brake line air fittings if necessary, free of charge. The recall began July 31, 2019. Owners may contact Altec customer service at 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is CSN 723.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
July 25, 2019
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain AD108 and HLIW-T Units. These units have the possibility non-DOT approved adapters used in brake lines. The non-DOT approved adapters can possibly cause leaks in the brake line air system resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 723 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement adapters to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 723, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 1.5 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
July 25, 2019 Units Affected: AD108 and HLIW-T (see attached list)
Brake Air Line Fitting Replacement
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Push-to-connect air fittings are commonly used in the mobile equipment industry to attach air brake system components to each other. Altec has discovered that non-DOT rated push-toconnect fittings have been used on some HLIW-T and AD108 products. Non-DOT rated air fittings should not be used in braking applications.
Air fittings with a plastic collar ring used to hold the tubing or a collar ring that does not have the letters DOT stamped on the side (refer to Figure 1) are not to be used with brake systems. Altec requires that all push-to-connect air fittings on the affected units be replaced with fittings with a DOT rating at the next service interval, but no later than 90 days after receiving this CSN.
Select the DOT compliant fittings kit from the chart below and order by calling 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832).
990840052 HLIW-T Air Brake Kit
990842095 AD108 Air Brake Kit
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Altec will allow up to $135 for the labor to perform this repair. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-4625832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the repair at the owner’s location.
34 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-1
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 1
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
- Standard SAEJ844 Tubing Suspenion Horn Train Lowrider air brake tubing 1/4" air line
- Working Pressure 2.5Mpa. Burst Pressure 6.3Mpa nylon air brake tubing
- Item:PA Nylon hose. Usage:Air brake system,air or fluid transfer use with brake hose fitting
- Size:1/4".Pipe Thickness 1mm Bending radius 40mm air horn tubing
- Weight 190Gr/10Meter.Material Polyamide air bag hose
- Material - Made of quality PU & Plastic. High pressure resistance, can withstand strong pressure without tripping out. Great for long term use. Push to connect fittings type: 1/4'', 5/16'', 3/8'',1/2'， fit for 6mm 8mm 10mm 12mm OD tube
- Easy to use: Simple push in design for connecting to the tube and provide secure connection, requires no extra sealing.
- Convenience: Quick Connect Fittings easy to install, flexible and space-saving, 360-degree rotate, Release rings adopt ellipse design, which can be removed conveniently. No extra sealing needed, just need a simple push, provide secure connection.
- Application: It is widely applied in industries automatic production equipment like machinery, electronics, automobile, packaging
- Quantity: package includes 40 pieces fittings, 10pcs for 1/4" fittings, 10pcs for 5/16" fittings, 10pcs for 3/8" fittings, 10pcs for 1/2" fittings, meet your requirement for various purposes
- 【Durable】This fitting has a strong PBT housing with POM release button and zinc alloy ferrule. Operating Pressure: 0~145 Psi. High pressure resistance, corrosion resistance and a long service life.
- 【Push Lock】 Quick connect fittings easy to install and remove, just one touch to connect the tube. The release ring adopts ellipse design, removed conveniently. 360°rotation, after installation, the tube direction can be changed easily.
- 【Wildly Application】 Working Temperature: 32～140°F. This Straight Push Connectors kit is most commonly used in the field for low-pressure hydraulic and pneumatic systems such as general industrial maintenance and automotive assembly,as well as moving parts such as air brake, air compressor and air ride.
- 【Flexibility】This combo concluded four different sizes of straight air line fittings(1/4,5/16,3/8,1/2), save you from varies emergency need, help you to repair your leaking air line.
- 【Use Tube】PU / PA / PE
- SPECIFICATION: Acceptable Fluid : Air And Water Pressure Range: Max Working Pressure: 2mpa | 290psi/ Working Temperature:-20°C—120°C | -4°F—248°F Applicable Tube: PU/NYLON/Soft PE Hose Push Connect Air Fittings Push Fitting
- Installation : push to connect fittings can be done within a short period of time. This tube connector is available in various styles and models Each model to serve its purpose All models of push in connector are designed to suit your pneumatic piping needs perfectly
- Thinking of changing the tube direction after installation ? .Be relaxed . You can easily change the tubing connector direction even after installation. The release ring conforms with the ellipse design to ensure that the disconnecting unit is in good shape
- It's important to note the taper threads on each fitting are properly coated with Teflon for optimal performance of the entire plumbing system.All push to fit, contains internal hexagonal holes ; this enhances the installation of the push connect fittings process in a narrow space
- These Push In Fittings Meet The Pressures And Temperatures Mentioned. Our Connect Push Brass Is More Resistant To High Temperatures We Are Ready To Serve You And Answer Any Questions Related To Our Connect It Fittings We Are Committed To Quality Of Our Air Fittings And If For Some Reason You Will Not Be Satisfied With Our Quick Connect Hose Fittings Money Back Guaranteed
- MATERIAL - Safe and reliable material. Energy-saving, pollution-free, low-cost. High pressure resistant and Non Tripping, all taper pipe threads are paint Teflon leakage-proof rubber, offering good seal property.
- DURABLE - The body is Plastic/PE, stainless steel locking claw, NBR O-ring. Each fitting works well and they feel very solid and durable. Once applied, no worries or danger of tubing coming loose. High pressure resistance, can withstand strong pressure without tripping, so no tripping needed, can works for a long time.
- CONVENIENCE - Quick Connect Fittings easy to install, flexible and space-saving, 360-degree rotate freely, Release rings adopt ellipse design, which can be removed conveniently.
- EASY OPERATION - No extra sealing needed, just need a simple push, provide secure connection.
- APPLICATION - It is widely used in industries automatic production equipment like machinery, electronics, automobile, packaging and medical.
- PN series is high performing, extremely compact push-in full metal fitting
- To connect, simply push the Straight-cut tubing (Outer Diameter) in metal sleeve; the stainless steel teeth grip onto the tubing and lock it
- Working Temp.: -4 ~ 160 Fahrenheit/ Max. Working Press: 261 PSI
- 1/4" OD Tubing X 1/4" NPT Male (Nominal Ourside Pipe Diameter OD: 0.54")
- Recommended Tubing: Polyurethane, Nylon, Polyethylene / Application: Air Bag, Air Suspension, Pneumatic Tools, Air Compressor, and etc...
- SIZE: SAE J844 Air Brake Tubing 1/4" x 100' - Black Trailer Nylon Line Hose DOT Approved. (Nominal O.D.: ¼”, Nominal Wall: 0.040")
- DURABLE: Our DOT Air Brake Tubing can be used safely in temperatures as low as -40° F up to 200° F (that’s -40℃ to over 93℃).
- RESISTANT: Resistant to exposure to UV rays, gasoline, cleaning chemicals, diesel fuel, and road debris. NOT MADE FOR FUEL.
- SAFETY: For use with compression fittings, designed to operate at up to 150 PSI in airbrake systems. Mytee Air Brake Tubing is cold weather flexibility and resistant to most abrasion.
- DOT COMPLIANT: Meets or exceeds SAEJ844 (Type A- non-reinforced & Type B – reinforced). Air Brake Tubing indentified per SAE J844 & FMVSS No. 106 Brake Hoses, 49 CFR 571.106.
- One Road King Truck Parts 28-piece DOT push lock brass fitting kit.
- Assortment of the most popular sizes of solid brass push lock fittings.
- Pieces that contain a threaded end already have sealant pre applied.
- Includes a durable yet light weight plastic storage container with flip lock tabs, container won’t rust and keeps all your parts securely in place.
- Parts are designed to accommodate nylon tubing commonly used in air lines.
- Contain common air brake fitting styles
- D.O.T Union:1/4"(4 pcs), 3/8"(4 pcs), 1/2"(4 pcs), 5/8"(2 pcs)
- D.O.T Tee:1/4"(2 pcs), 3/8"(2 pcs), 1/2"(2 pcs); Bushing: 3/8" NPT Female x 1/2" NPT Male(2 pcs)
- D.O.T Male Elbow:1/4" OD x 1/8" NPT Male(2 pcs), 1/4" OD x 1/4" NPT Male(2 pcs), 3/8" OD x 3/8" NPT Male(2 pcs), 1/2" OD x 3/8" NPT Male(2 pcs)
- D.O.T Sraight Male Connector: 1/4" x 1/8" NPT Male(2 pcs), 1/4" x 1/4" NPT Male(2 pcs), 3/8" x 3/8" NPT Male(2 pcs), 1/2" x 3/8" NPT Male(2 pcs)
- Type: Male Straight, Size: 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4" NPT Thread
- Made of quality plastic and stainless steel for durable use
- Easy to install and removed, offering good seal property
- Fluid Type: air, vacuum; Operating Pressure: 0- 150 PSI/ 0-9.9 kgf/cm2 (0-990kPa); Working Temperature: 0-60°C | 32～140°F; Negative Pressure: -100Kpa| -29.5 In H
- Applicable Tube: PU/ PA/ PE/ PVC; Package includes 10 pieces tube fittings total
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API