January 11, 2018
Using an incorrect chart value could lead to unit instability or loss of load control increasing the risk of death of serious injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V036
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 122
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2014-2017 Altec AC40-152S Cranes. On the affected cranes, the electronic Load Moment and Area Protection (LMAP) may display incorrect load chart values.
Altec will notify owners, and dealers will update the LMAP software, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on February 5, 2018. Owners may contact Altec at 1-205-991-7733. Altec’s number for this recall is CSN 673.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
January 30, 2018
Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain
AC40 Crane Units. These units have incorrect lift capacities in the load moment and area protection (LMAP) monitor. Incorrect lift capacities can possibly cause the unit to become unstable resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to CSN 673 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, necessary software to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by CSN 673, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the CSN. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take one hour to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied within a reasonable time, you may write to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
Customer Service Notice
Date: January 30, 2018
Units Affected: AC40-152S Cranes built between serial number 0214GA0103
(February 2014) through 0617GA0227 (June 2017) (see attached list)
LMAP Software Update
Altec is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable products from initial delivery throughout the useful life of the machine.
Altec has discovered that there is an error in the software programming of the LMAP that shows more unit capacity in some situations than the unit is capable of handling safely. On the AC40152S Mid-Span load chart, the LMAP load chart value indicates a capacity of 9,350 lbs at a 77ft boom length and at a boom angle of 45 degrees. The correct load chart capacity shown on the Range and Capacity Chart at the operator’s station with a capacity of 3,950 lbs. Using the information shown on the LMAP can result in instability of the unit. Death or serious injury can result if the unit becomes unstable.
Operators must use the range diagram and load chart (refer to Figure 1) at the operator’s station for the correct lift capacities when using the unit. The LMAP is to be an aid to the operator during use of the unit but should not be the primary source for the range and capacity information.
Altec will supply an LMAP software update for the affected units. The update can be installed at the next scheduled maintenance interval but no later than 60 days after the receipt of this CSN.
Order LMAP Capacity Update Kit, part number 990101129, by calling 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832). The kit includes a flash drive, cable and instructions for the update.
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will allow up to $90 for the labor to perform this repair. A warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/or labor. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers are responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
4 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Recall Quarterly Report- Report #1, 2018-1
Defect 573 Report
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4
Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2019-1
Latest Recalls Documents
- REMOVE PAINT DEFECTS: The ultimate product for removing oxidation, scratches, water spots, and blemishes without scratching
- BEST CAR SCRATCH REMOVER: Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives restoring surface clarity without scratching or swirling
- SAVES TIME: The clear coat safe formula dramatically reduces the time and effort to restore abused or neglected paint finishes
- STUNNING FINISH: Exclusive micro-abrasive technology leaves a "like new" finish and adds gloss in one easy step
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COAT: Safe and effective on clear coat and single stage paints, and can be applied by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish keeps your car exterior looking new with only one application per year
- Delivers impressive shine and protection without rubbing or buffing
- As the only polish available with no wax, the Nu Finish formula is specifically made to protect your car’s paint and clear-coat finish
- Perfect for use on cars, fiberglass boats, RVs, and even chrome surfaces
- Apply polish with a damp cloth, let dry to a haze, and wipe off
- PREPS SURFACE: Pre-waxing glaze that prepares the surface for wax while offering deep reflections and high gloss
- BEST CAR GLOSS: Conditioning oils add depth of color and maximum gloss prior to waxing, especially on dark colored cars
- REMOVE SWIRLS: Quickly and gently removes fine swirls and towel marks for mirror-like reflections
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS: Safe and on all glossy paints, including clear coats
- FLEXIBLE APPLICATION: Safe and effective by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- Heavy duty paste that cleans dull, oxidized finishes
- Quickly and easily penetrates through the oxidized surface to remove scratches, blemishes and stubborn stains
- Restores faded finishes
- Recommended for rubbing down between coats of newly sprayed lacquer and acrylic car finishes
- Easy to use formula
- EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS: Advanced technology formula provides a deep gloss and rich, swirl-free results
- NO MORE SWIRLS: Permanently removes swirls and light defects from all paint
- STUNNING SHINE: Produces deep reflections and high gloss
- EASY TO USE: Smooth buffing feel, easy wipe-off, and fast clean-up
- MULTIPLE WAYS TO APPLY: Formulated for use by Hand, DA Polisher, or Rotary Buffer
- Silicone Free Means You Get True Results, What You See Is What You Get Even After Weeks Of Washing This Is A True Polish That Prepares Any Paint For The Perfect Sealant
- Works Great As A Final Step Product That Produces An Exceptional Shine
- Rapidly Removes Light Scratches, Key Scratches, And Most Imperfections, Removes Light Scratches And Swirl Marks Resorting Color And Shine
- Package Weight :15.0Lbs
- Brings Back That Showroom Shine, Removes Light Scratches And Swirl Marks Resorting Color And Shine, Body Shop Safe, Premium Gloss And Shine After Water Sanding
- Outshines all other hand applied polishes, glazes, waxes and sealants
- Restores a dazzling deep wet shine
- Does not dry white
- Safe & effective on all paint finishes
- DESIGNED TO HELP RESTORE BLACK VINYL: Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer brings back black vinyl and plastic car trim to original, or better than original, condition. Provides a long-lasting finish and superior levels of durability and protection.
- INCLUDES A 12 OZ BOTTLE: Follow instructions for safe and proper application of the product. Apply with cloth or towel for quick application. Solution Finish Trim Restorer helps restore faded parts of your vehicle instantly.
- VERSATILE FORMULA: With advanced polymer technology, this silicone-free and VOC compliant formula creates a like-new finish. Use on window trim, handles, bumpers, wiper blades, mirrors, truck bed covers, seals, mud flaps, pads and more.
- RESTORE PLASTIC ON A VARIETY OF SURFACES: While the product is designed for use on your vehicles, it can be used on ATVs, UTVs, boats, and other recreational vehicles with plastic vinyl trim. A little goes a long way!
- UNMATCHED IN THE INDUSTRY: Solution Finish provides top-notch quality products and stands behind each one with a customer satisfaction guarantee. For long-lasting results and a durable finish, you can count on Solution Finish products.
- Includes nearly every product in the Adam's Polishes detailing arsenal
- Detailing, Polishing, Waxing, and Interior Cleaning
- Perfect for enthusiasts, gifts, or starting a detailing business
- DUAL ACTION POLISHER ANYONE CAN USE - With an 8mm dual action orbital throw, compact design, and built in safety features to prevent user damage, the TORQX allows anyone to polish paint, remove scratches and swirls, and spread wax and sealant for perfect paint results.
- CORRECT PAINT WITH COMPLETE CONTROL - The TORQX features simple and intuitive controls, rugged components, and a durable build so you can easily and accurately polish single stage and clear coat paint finishes, polished metals, glass, and clear optical plastics with complete control.
- VERSATILE PADS FOR ALL POLISHING JOBS - Cut away deep scratches, swirls, and imperfections, polish paint to perfection, and expertly apply wax, sealants, and glazes to deliver protection and shine with 5 varied and versatile cutting, polishing, and finishing pads in the TORQX Complete Detail Kit.
- CLEAN & CONDITION PADS FOR LASTING USE - Pristinely clean and condition your pads for enhanced polishing and lasting use with Polishing Pad Cleaner and Polishing Pad Conditioner. Make sure your pads perform their best and use them again and again to save time, money and effort.
- EXTRA SOFT MICROFIBER TOUCH - Buff paint and finish your detail off right with a soft touch and streak free shine with Monster Extreme Thickness Microfiber Towels. Prevent scratches and swirls on your freshly polished paint and perfectly buff away used product for perfect polishing results.
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2022-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.