April 15, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V303000
If multiple fasteners fail, the pedestal and turntable may separate, increasing the risk of death or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V303
Manufacturer Altec Industries Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 153
Altec Industries Inc. (Altec) is recalling certain 2017-2018 Altec LR7, TA50, TA55, TA60, and TA45M-T50 Aerial Devices. The fasteners that are used to secure the turntable to the pedestal may fail.
Altec has notified owners and dealers will inspect and replace the defective fasteners, free of charge. The recall began April 18, 2019. Owners may contact Altec customer service 1-877-462-5832. Altec's number for this recall is MAB 716.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle. See attached serial number list.
NHTSA Safety Recall
April 18, 2019 Dear Altec Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Altec Industries, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain LR7, TA50, TA55, TA60, and TA45M-T50 Units. These units have rotation bearing fasteners that can fail. The failed fasteners can possibly cause uncontrolled movement resulting in death or serious injury.
Refer to MAB 716 for the items covered under the warranty policy. Altec will supply, free of charge, replacement fasteners to correct this condition.
In order to determine if your unit is affected by MAB 716, compare the serial number of your unit with the list of affected units attached to the MAB. The repair can be performed by the customer or you may contact Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) for further assistance. The repair is expected to take 4 hours to complete.
At any time, you may contact Altec at 1-877 GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) with your unit’s serial number to determine if there are any other outstanding notices.
For US owners: after contacting Altec, if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to: Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call toll-free 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
For Canadian Owners: if you are still not able to have the safety condition remedied by your dealer within a reasonable time, please contact Altec Customer Service at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832).
If you had this repair performed before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. If you have sold or retired the unit please call Altec at 1-877-GO-ALTEC (1-877-4625832) so the records may be changed.
If you have leased this equipment to another person or company, you are required by Federal Law to forward a copy of this notice to the lessee by first class mail within ten (10) days of the receipt of this notice.
We are sorry to cause this inconvenience; however we are taking this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with Altec products.
Thank you for your immediate attention on this important matter.
MANDATORY ACTION BULLETIN
Date: April 18, 2019
Units Affected: LR7, TA50, TA55, TA60, and TA45M-T50 (See attached list)
Rotation Bearing Fastener Inspection
This Mandatory Action Bulletin requires immediate action.
This Mandatory Action Bulletin requires the inspection of rotation bearing fasteners before using the unit again. Altec received reports of a number of rotation bearing fasteners that broke during the annual torque inspection. Death or serious injury can result from uncontrolled movement. The failure of rotation bearing fasteners can cause uncontrolled movement.
Altec requires an immediate visual inspection of the inner race (turntable side) rotation bearing fasteners before the unit is used in service again.
- Look for any broken or missing fastener heads
- Look at all the fastener heads on the inner race to see ifthere is a 6043 below the Altec logo (refer to Figure 1)
If any of the fasteners have a head with the head stamp of 6043 or there is a broken or missing fastener head, remove the unit from service.
If none of the fasteners have the 6043 stamp and there are no broken fastener heads, the unit can be returned to service and the MAB action is complete.
If fasteners marked with 6043 are found on the inner race, all of the fasteners on that race must be replaced before the unit can be returned to service. Order the replacement fastener kit by calling 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) and select Prompt 1. Refer to Section 6 in the Maintenance Manual for replacement Instructions.
|990859928||Rotation Fastener Replacement Kit, MAB 716|
Complete the MAB 716 Inspection Sheet and return it to Altec after the inspection.
This repair is covered under the Altec Warranty Policy and can be performed by Altec, the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider. Altec will perform the repair for free at an Altec facility. If the customer, or the customer’s warranty provider performs the inspection or repair, a warranty claim must be submitted to be reimbursed for the cost of the parts and/ or labor. Altec will allow up to $45 for the labor to perform the inspection and $315 for the labor to perform this repair. Call 1-877-GO ALTEC (1-877-462-5832) to schedule the work to be done by an Altec service technician. Customers may be responsible for the travel costs of an Altec Mobile Service technician if the technician performs the inspection or repair at the owner’s location.
2 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-4RCLQRT-19V303-1679
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-3RCLQRT-19V303-2401
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-2RCLQRT-19V303-0517
Latest Recalls Documents
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- Includes storage case and product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- Price For: Each
- This wrench is intended for light applications. It has a range of 50-250 inch pounds which is 4-20 foot pounds. Please contact us if you have any questions
- Lifetime Personal Use Guarantee
- Instantly converts between four different measurements (Lb.in, N.m, Lb.ft, Kg.cm)
- Wrench clicks and/or releases when preset torque value is reached
- Accurate to +/- 3% in clockwise direction compared to most competitors +/- 4%
- 3/8“ drive torque wrench with 15-80 ft.-lb/20.4-108.5 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 4%
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- Backed by an Amazon Basics limited one-year warranty
- PORTABILITY: Torque wrench 1/2 inch drive has a durable case for portability or storage
- ADDED COMFORT: Bi-material handle for comfort and grip of the 1/2 torque wrench
- HASSLE FREE USE: Locking feature adjusts quick and easily for hassle free use
- QUICK IDENTIFICATION: Scales stamped into housing showing inch and metric torque settings
- Meets or Exceeds ASME Specifications
- [Advanced Technology]: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs foot pounds torque range with LED flashing / vibration / buzzer alarm when torque is reached. Easy to read LCD display with measurements (kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. ft-lb)
- [Multiple Setting Functions]: Torque, Measurement, and, Peak & Trace, Mode Settings. (Torque setting range: 10% of max torque value. Measuring range: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs)
- [High Accuracy]: 2% clockwise 3% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale
- [Quality Assurance]: Meets or exceeds ASME B107. 14-2004, ISO 6789 standards, individually serialized with matching certificate of calibration traceable to N. I. S. T.
- Uses 4x AAA Batteries. One-year limited manufacturer warranty
- High quality, ratcheting torque wrench to quickly and accurately measure and apply the proper amount of torque to components and accessories
- The TW-6.2 features a dial-adjust click system to pre-set the desired torque setting
- Ratcheting 3/8 inch drive fitting
- Model number: QKTW62
- MEASURES TORQUE: Determines from 100 to 600 ft.-lbs. in 1-pound increments so you can ensure your nuts and bolts are perfectly tight.
- METRIC AND IMPERIAL: Torque wrench body engraved with foot-pound and newton-meters so it can be used with machinery all over the world
- ACCURACY: 4 percent +- meets standards for torque wrenches
- CASE INCLUDED: Heavy-duty ABS storage and carrying case for transport convenience
- Professional grade 3/4 dr reversible clicker type torque wrench
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API