January 2, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V022000
If the aerial device moves in an unexpected direction, the ladder may contact an object, such as a building or an electrical wire, increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V022
Manufacturer Pierce Manufacturing
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 994
Pierce Manufacturing (Pierce) is recalling certain 2004-2018 Arrow XT, Dash, Enforcer, Impel, Quantum and Velocity aerial vehicles. The aerial device may unexpectedly rotate to the right when the ladder is being extended.
Pierce will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the aerial control module, free of charge. The recall began February 28, 2019. Owners may contact Pierce customer service at 1-888-974-3723. Pierce's number for this recall is 74B295.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|Date:||February 15, 2019|
|To:||Pierce Aftermarket & Product Support Team Members|
|Distribution:||Pierce Dealer Network & Product Support Staff|
|RE:||NHTSA Campaign # 19V02 / Pierce Campaign # 74B295 Unintended Aerial Movement / Talking Points|
|Purpose:||The following Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) document should be used to answer questions & concerns regarding the referenced NHTSA campaign with dealers or endcustomers.|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q: Can Pierce provide more insight into the nature of the concern that created this campaign activity?
A: Pierce discovered the concern of unintended aerial movement (a.k.a. “the concern”) on 3 of 886 nonAscendant platform aerial devices built between 2004 to 2018. Through various testing procedures & methods, Pierce was able to replicate the concern under the following conditions:
- A CommandZone™ II module was removed from the aerial device & placed in a cold chamber at temperatures below -40⁰ F. The concern was duplicated on a test stand repeatedly.
- Lower temperatures in the testing chamber correlated to higher frequency of the concern.
- As power ran through the module, the circuit board generated heat and got warmer, correlating to a lower frequency of the concern.
- The concern only occurred when completing an extend function of the aerial. The concern always manifests as a rotation of the aerial device to the right.
- In cases where the aerial device experienced unintended movement, the operator was able to activate the e-stop function successfully, ceasing movement of the device. After approximately 30 seconds, the e-stop can be turned-off and the aerial will resume normal functionality.
Q: How many Pierce aerial units are affected by this campaign action?
A: 886 non-Ascendant platform aerial devices, regardless of chassis, built between 2004 & 2018 are affected by this campaign action.
Q: Why is Pierce performing a software update versus replacement of the module in question?
A: Pierce created a new version of the software that operates the existing module. The software was testing at both high & low temperatures, and the concern did not occur.
Q: Should our department take the affected aerial(s) out-of-service?
A: Customers should use their discretion when determining whether a vehicle should remain in-service.
However, the following facts should be considered:
- Three (3) occurrences on 886 non-Ascendants platform aerials built between 2004 & 2018.
- Ability for operators to successfully activate the e-stop function to cease movement of the aerial. After 30 seconds, the e-stop can be turned-off and the aerial will resume normal functionality.
Q: If we experience an accident while operating the aerial device, will Pierce stand behind its product? A: Any unintended movement or accident while operating the vehicle should be reported to the local Pierce dealer. Pierce has an established process to document & record unintended movement or accidents, in partnership with the local dealer network. This process enables all parties to properly investigate the root cause of such events, ensuring affected vehicles are properly repaired & placed back in-service.
Proper set-up and operation of the aerial device is critical. Ensure operators are properly trained & educated on the proper methods & techniques to operate any aerial device.
Q: How quickly can my local dealer perform this action?
A: We will respond quickly. Software required to update existing CommandZone™ II controllers has been provided to the dealer network at no-charge. The Pierce dealer network also possesses the proper hardware & cable connectors to perform the software update. Pierce estimates the software update to take no more than one (1) hour to complete. The software update can be done on-site (your local department or fire station) or local Pierce dealership service center.
Q: Can we perform this campaign without a Pierce dealer?
A: No. The campaign requires the CommandZone™ II controller to be re-programmed with a new version of software by a certified Pierce Master Technician. The local Pierce dealer owns & maintains the necessary special tools (computer, software, cable connectors) & technical training to perform this campaign. These special tools & technical certifications are not available for purchase through the Pierce dealer network.
Q: Will we have to pay for this campaign action?
A: No. The local Pierce dealer will perform this update at no-charge to the customer.
Q: We have replaced CommandZone™ II controllers in the past. Are they eligible for reimbursement under this campaign action?
A: Yes. Provide the local Pierce dealer a copy of the original repair invoice, showing the owner’s name & addressed, vehicle identification number (VIN), Pierce job number, and complaint/cause/correction details for repairs made prior to this campaign. A Pierce representative will review the documents with the local Pierce dealer to determine eligibility for warranty reimbursement under this campaign action.
Q: How can we locate our local Pierce dealer?
A: Visit our website at www.piercemfg.com or call +1 (888)-974-3723 we can assist you via phone.
90 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 2
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1
Recall 573 Report- Amendment 1
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Frequently Asked Questions
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3
Latest Recalls Documents
1 Associated Investigation
Unintended aerial platform movement
NHTSA ID: PE18009
Dated opened: August 21, 2018
This Preliminary Evaluation (PE) was opened August 21, 2018 based on 5 consumer complaints for unintended aerial platform movement on the subject vehicles. ODI complaint numbers 11101301, 11101303, 11101304, 11101305 and 11105134 allege there is a defect with the aerial ladder control mechanism that resulted unintended movement.
ODI conducted several field inspections, meeting with local fire houses and municipalities to better understand and witness the alleged defect. In addition, ODI met with Pierce and the Fleet Operations Manager of the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service’s Central Fleet to discuss the known complaints, possible attributing factors and vehicles to be tested/instrumented. On November 30, 2018 Pierce met with ODI staff at DOT headquarters and agreed that a safety defect existed on their vehicle aerial devices. The subject vehicles may unintentionally rotate right when a command to extend the aerial ladder is given. This unintentional movement is the result of faulty Random Access Memory (RAM) chip configuration on the aerial ladder controller. If the aerial device is operated in this manner it may contract an obstruction, potentially causing property damage or injury. In addition, it may hinder the ability to perform emergency functions as intended. The effected population includes 886 2004–2018 model year Pierce Arrow XT, Dash, Enforcer, Impel, Quantum and Velocity fire trucks.
This Preliminary Evaluation is closed with Safety Recall 19V-022.
- Product size: L: 11.81, W: 5.51, H: 7.09 inch
- Product weight: 0.22 lbs
- Color: Multicolor
- MAN TGA crane truck (without light and sound module) provides plenty of fun in the garden or in the children's room
- Cab of the truck is tiltable and allows a view of the engine block
- Crane body can be turned 360 °, and crane arm can be extended with hooks
- Fully functional and noiseless raising/lowering of crane hook
- Made in Germany; Manufactured from high-quality plastics such as ABS; Scale 1:16
- Made in Germany; Made of highest-quality ABS plastic; Scale 1:16
- Driver's cab made from transparent, break-proof polycarbonate, with a door which can be opened
- Operator’s Cab has a sliding panel door for easy access and the crane swivels 360°.
- To add to the fun of playing, can be equipped with the Light and Sound Module 02801 (not included)
- Compatible with all Bruder bworld figures
- 52 Piece Engineering Construction Vehicle Set with Crane, Cement Truck, Digger / Excavator, Steamroller, Dump Truck, Fuel Truck and Tractor.
- Complete set comes with tools, safety barriers, safety cones and safety signs.
- Interchangeable parts for the tractor include forklift, snow plow and scoop bucket to assist fine finger skills.
- Handy storage box converts into interlocking play mat. Diverse creative play opportunities, great for group play in sandpits. Top rated toys for boys and girls.
- Constructed of environmentally safe plastics that are child friendly. Best construction gifts under 50 dollars for kids.
- At Dickie Toys you'll find the air pump mobile crane, a detailed scale version of the famous Man construction vehicle
- The boom is operated by Dickie Toys' Patented air pump system
- Simply by pushing the knob in the driver's cabin and operating a lever, The arm can be made to go in and out
- The winch can also be rolled in and out
- This toy vehicle doesn't need any batteries and also has the advantage of training children's motor skills with its clever, pneumatic technology
- Features several additional wooden pieces to expand track pack collections
- Combines perfectly with other Hape railway sets for seamless transitions
- Features sturdy wooden design
- Encourages kids to create innovative additions to their existing tracks
- Inspires imagination and storytelling skills as kids build amazing routes for their trains
- FRICTION POWERED: Just push the truck forward and crane truck toy will go a long way on its own, thanks to its friction powered wheels. The rubber wheel runs smoothly on every surface. Because it works on the manual force, you need not depend on batteries, remote control and cords.
- COOL LIGHT & SOUND EFFECTS: Toy crane trucks for boys is equipped with amazing light and sound effects which adds to its realistic detailing. Press the buttons on the top to play four different light and sounds including reverse, honk and engine start.
- MOVEABLE PARTS: Toy crane truck can move up and down as well as it can rotate 270 degrees to lift things around it. Your child can lift little things like a handkerchief and small toys with the car and drop them on a different location.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Crafted from premium quality materials, crane truck toys for boys can withstand rough use and multiple bumps on the wall without breaking. The material used is lead-free and paint used is non-toxic which makes sure there is no skin irritation or allergies.
- NOT JUST A TOY: Playing with these kinds of toys will provide your child with hours of imaginative play. It helps promote hand-eye coordination, sensory reception and motor skills. Your child will spend more hours staying active and outdoors than playing on video games.
- Die-Cast Engineering Vehicle Model Toy; Scale: 1/55
- Material: Alloy Metal + Engineering Plastic + Rubber; All Materials are Eco-friendly
- More than 95% Similarity of Originals; All Joints Could Rotate Freely
- Suitable Age: 3-Year Old or Above
- Product Size: 19.5 x 4 x 5 cm / 7.7 x 1.6 x 2 inch; Weight: 700 g / 1.5 lb
- Big Daddy Crane Toy Truck: The Crane Truck was made as realistic as possible with a easy to use lever to lift the truck arms in to position.
- Arms extend up to 20" High!
- TRUCK SIZE: 17.5" Length X 8.2" Height x 6.4" perfect size fun toy truck for the little construction man
- Great Toy Truck for any little kid this huge truck will put a smile on every kids face.
- Educational Truck: will teach you kid the basics of balancing a load high in the air without dropping it while moving the truck to drop of location
- 【Easy to control】2.4GHz radio control,strong frequency signal,high sensitive operation,longer control distance and stronger anti-interference ability.
- 【Environmental design】Using high quality eco-friendly non-toxic material, good for health.
- 【Function】8 channels--it can go forward, backward, turn left, turn right.And the cab can rotate left and right,the 3 section boom can move rise and doen,at the same time,the music is ringing
- 【More fun】Simulated design fully reflect the superior performance of a real car,let your kids get different experiences.
- The console can be 180 degrees rotated. The arm features telescopic function, and the hook features lifting function.
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API