January 13, 2023 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23E003000
A helmet that does not provide adequate protection increases the risk of injury during a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 23E003
Manufacturer Comoto Holdings, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 18,980
Comoto Holdings, Inc. (Comoto Holdings) is recalling certain Bilt Route BLH100, Bilt Route Retro Womens BLH118, and Bilt Route Journey BLH109 helmets, in sizes MD, XL, and XXL. The helmets may lack adequate penetration protection. As such, these helmets fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 218, “Motorcycle Helmets.”
Dealers will either provide a credit or replace the helmets, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed February 1, 2023. Owners may contact Comoto Holdings’ customer service at 1-888-258-9530.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
04/22 Comoto were notified that the sizes M, & XXL helmet manufactured in 2021 that were tested at ACT Lab USA were found to be noncompliant with FMVSS 218.
06/22 after discussion with the manufacturer, Foshan City Nanhai Manufacturing Co Ltd. Comoto submitted a further M size for compliance testing. ACT reported to COMOTO that this size had also failed the penetration tests. Comoto notified Foshan City Nanhai Manufacturing again of the failure and they started to do some investigation internally and in August they provided ACT Labs China with improved liners in the Route helmets.
These all passed (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL) The vendor then sent sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL to Comoto to submit for retesting at ACT Labs USA. We were notified in October that the three sizes M, XL, and XXL had failed to comply. Comoto was very surprised by the noncompliance because the model helmet had passed testing in ACT Lab China Oct, 2016, June, 2017, June 2018, December, 2018, May 2019, December, 2019. After reviewing all tests, Comoto decided to voluntarily initiate this recall.
3 Affected Products
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
|BILT HELMET||BILT ROUTE HELMET|
|BILT HELMET||BILT ROUTE JOURNEY|
|BILT HELMET||BILT ROUTE RETRO WOMENS|
3 Associated Documents
Noncompliance Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-23E003-9685
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-23E003-2569
Latest Recalls Documents
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- Advanced and extremely durable ABS shell for impeccable impact protection，Designed with quick release buckle and adjustable strap allows riders to easily taking on/off the helmet.
- Detachable Chin Guard,easy to replace.Double visors，clear outer visor is easy to remove and replace, retractable tinted inner lens protect your eyes from strong sunlight, sand
- Ventilation System with mouth vents,the front mouth vent forcing light flow of air helping to keep the rider cool 、comfortable and Breathable.
- High density EPS foam inner，providing good impact absorption, fully removable, washable, and replaceable inner pad，easy to clean; high-quality COOLMAX material fabric that absorbs sweat without compromising comfort or security，keep your head dry and comfortable，more soft and breathable
- Boasting a compact, aerodynamic DOT shell design with sharp and aggressive styling for impeccable impact protection to excel whether short-distance street performance or long-distance touring comfort.
- Multiple conscientiously designed ventilation panels effective in streamlining the cooling process to assist with freshening the rider's experience. Large lower vent shutters for ease of use with riding gloves.
- Trendsetting springs for precise functionality ensuring a superior wind and water sealant layer. Unique 3D molded shield designed to ensure a distortion-free view throughout the entire field of vision.
- Removable Breath Guard rerouting the rider’s breath to reduce shield fogging. Inserted Chin Curtain designed to reduce wind turbulence and noise. Quick-Release Chin Strap for effortless usage.
- Fully removable, washable, and replaceable microfiber inner material that absorbs sweat without compromising comfort or security. Plus the GLX One-Year Limited Manufacturer.
- ❤1.Professional Grade Motorcycle Helmet: DOT FMVSS 218 standard approved. Exactly what you need for Street Bike, Racing, Motocross, ATV, Dirt Bike, MX, Quad, Adventure and much more. For both men and women.
- ♠2.Multiple oversized ventilations have been creatively designed to ensure air circulation and heat dissipation inside the helmet under the premise of structural safety.
- ♦3.Aerodynamic incredibly cool,designed to minimises wind resistance and wind noise.
- ♣4.Comfortable Liner and Pads: Fully removeable and washable liner and pads to keep helmet clean, fresh. Extra space for Glasses.
- ❤5.Quick Release Buckle Allows Riders to Quickly Take Helmet On and Off.
- Air intake and exhaust scoops for controlled air flow, Subtly Integrated Forehead Vent Intakes
- EPS Provides Superior Energy Absorption And Channels For Increased Airflow
- Unique Multi-configuration Design Featuring Removable Front Mask And Rear Comfort Sleeve Results In 2 Distinct Riding Configurations: 3/4 Mode; And Full Mode
- Fits Men and Women.Ideal for ATV, MTB, Dirt Bike, Street Bike, Cruiser, Scooter, Moped and Other Outdoor Sports.
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
- LEGAL COMPLIANCE: Meets or exceeds DOT FMVSS 218 and ECE 22.05 certification, which means the helmet complies with the required regulation in the USA
- SAFETY FEATURES: The helmet’s shell is made of high-class ABS material, high-density EPS foam and good buffering inner lining. The cheek pads can be easily removed, making the helmet easier to be taken off in case of emergency
- DOUBLE SHIELD SYSTEM: Anti-fog lens is readily installed with the outer clear visor, which provides ultra clear and wide vision for the rider even in foggy or cold weather condition. Equipped with a toggle on the side of the helmet, rider can easily flip up/down the inner sun visor even with one gloved hand
- OPTIMAL COMFORT: The tinted fin design makes the helmet feel lighter on the ride. There are multiple vents in the front and the top and all of them can be toggled to closed/opened status, which allows you to better balance the silence/ventilation level for your ride at different speed
- EASE OF USE: The inner liner is skin-friendly and it’s also removable, replaceable and washable. The metal quick-release buckle is sturdy and it can be released with one gloved hand.
- High Resistance ABS Shell With Micrometrically Adjustable Strap
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Helmet Liner / Cheek Pads are Lightweight, Soft and Easily Removable and Washable
- Sleek and Lightweight Design Reduces Wind Noise
- Modular Flip-Up Function Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fog and Wide View Clear Visor
- ◆Classic, super-slim, open-face design with retro paint and custom graphics.
- ◆Quick Release Buckle - for easily getting on and off and holding the helmet securely on your head.
- ◆Full face motorcycle helmet, meets or exceeds DOT safety standards to ensure quality and safety, perfect for street motorcycles like cruisers.
- ◆Lightweight polycarbonate/ABS shell construction with removable/Washable interior, padded wind collar drastically reduces wind and road noise
- ◆Wicks moisture and wears like the technical fabric it is.
- ☆Quick Release Buckle: The helmet has a quick release buckle for one-handed operation, ensuring easy opening and closing even when wearing gloves.
- ☆DOT certification
- ☆ Product weighs 750g (+-50g) and comes in sizes M–XL (57-62cm). To find the right size, measure the circumference of your head at the widest point above your ears.
- ☆ Well made and comfortable. Makes your open helmet cooler during the ride
- ☆Cycling glasses: The visor included in the delivery ensures the best possible view in backlit situations.
Last update on 2023-01-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.