September 21, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22E080000
The fractured steering arm and tie rod can separate and fall to the ground, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22E080
Potential Number of Units Affected 56
Dealers will install a new steering arm and additional welds, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a schedule for recall notification. Owners may contact Dexter Axle’s customer service at 1-574-295-7888.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
SERVICE BULLETIN # SB015
Date: September 21, 2022
SUBJECT: SMART-STEER 2.0 Axle with 702887 Steer Arm
Based on feedback from our customers and recent analysis, Dexter Heavy Duty has identified an ongoing issue with the 702887 steer arm configuration on the Smart-Steer 2.0 self-steer axles. Under certain repeated heavy loading conditions, the steer arm has the potential to fail.
SMART-STEER 2.0 AXLE WITH 702887 STEER ARM
Service work will include the following steps:
- Remove the existing steer arms and mounting hardware.
- Clean mounting surface and surrounding surfaces to prepare for mounting of the new bolt-on steer arm and additional welds.
- Grind a 3/16” chamfer along the mounting face edge (see page three for location & detail).
- Mount new design steer arms (Part # 703293-LH/RH) with supplied hardware and torque to 400 ft-lbs.
- Add welds as shown on page three of this bulletin.
A reference table of impacted models is on page two of this service bulletin.
Please contact your Dexter Heavy Duty Field Service Technicians Rudy Wosing or Phil Schnurr at (226) 242-5291 if you have additional questions or need further clarification.
We appreciate your understanding during this time.
Engineering Manager – Dexter HD
Affected Smart-Steer 2.0 Axle Models with 702887 Steer Arm
The model number can be found in the ordering variant description.
|VARIANT #||VARIANT DESCRIPTION|
Replacement steer arm kit for these models is 703294-01 and contains:
|ITEM NUMBER||QUANTITY||PART NUMBER||Description|
|1||1||703293-LH||B/O steer arm LH|
|2||1||703293-RH||B/O steer arm RH|
|3||4||703100||BOLT 3/4-16UNF 3.25″lg GR8 Yellow Zinc (VMI)|
|4||4||701810||WASHER FLAT .75″ MC2 GR8 (VMI)|
|Not Shown||1||0150425||LOCTITE®, BLUE 242, 0.5ml|
After reviewing recent claims with a key customer, a service bulletin was requested to address the customer issues. Upon further investigations and reviews, Dexter Canada conducted an analysis of the failure mode and determined the material was not robust enough to withstand the higher loading events which may occur in this configuration. Re-design activities were initiated to define a steer arm design that will withstand the unique, higher load events based on collected road load data.
1 Affected Product
|BRAND||PART NO.||PRODUCTION DATES|
3 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22E080-4855
Latest Recalls Documents
- EASY TO USE-140 FC-I MIG machine uses 0.30, flux core wire. It has infinite voltage and wire feed speed control so you can dial in the perfect weld! Perfect entry level welder
- POWERFUL- Up to 140 Amp output that allows you to weld mild steel up to 1/4 in plate
- PORTABLE WELDER- Lightweight 19 lbs. easily carried to any Do-It-Yourself, Maintenance, Repair, Metal Fabrication and Hobbyist project
- RUGGED- All metal case, Built to take the day to day. Big enough to handle 2 and 10 pound rolls of wire
- WELDER INCLUDES- 8' MIG gun, 8' ground clamp, Integrated handle with torch wrap and a 20A-15A adapter. Backed by a 12-month warranty
- Enjoy of a compact, portable and lightweight wire feed welder that is user friendly | Shielding gas sold separately
- Welder dimensions – 12.8” H x 8.8” W x 18” D | Welds up to – 1/8 in. mild steel | Power cord length – 6ft. | Cored Wire Size Range – .035 | Voltage – 115V, 20 Amp
- Cold contactor safety feature keeps welding wire electrically “cold” until gun trigger is pressed
- Great for home repair and hobby projects on light gauge mild steel found around most households
- Four voltage settings and continuous wire feed speed adjustment allow you to weld mild steel from 24 gauge to 1/8" thick
- 【IGBT Inverter Technology】SILVEL MIG Welder 140 Amp is capable of welding mild steel, steel, stainless steel and cast iron with Stick/TIG function. The advanced IGBT power device with unique control mode improves the reliability and efficiency of welding machine.
- 【Safe and efficient】 MIG 140A inverter welding machine, reliable and stable. Stainless steel machine with electric smothering control for splash reduction, deep penetration and good formation. Automatic thermal safety protection, overload safety protection to protect you and the welder safety.
- 【Rugged and Durable】- 110 V/60 Hz single phase, adjustable power setting. Welding current: 80-140A, current: AC; no load voltage: 23.5V, AC power plug, flux line welding machine with fuse, suitable for flux (no gas) welding, with thermal protection.
- 【Easy to Use】 - MIG Welder uses 0.8mm or 1.0mm flux core wire. Outputs up to 140 amps allow you to weld mild steel plates up to 0.64 cm. Large enough to hold 2 lbs of wire. Lightweight 14.77 lbs (~6.7 kg). Take it with you wherever you go.
- 【Accessories】- The set includes a MIG-140 welding machine, 1 welding gun, 1 grounding clip, 1 welding mask, a 0.8mm reel, 1kg welding wire, 1 brush.
- 【Easy Start for Beginner】The Synergic mode on this MIG welder will automatically change the voltage by adjusting the current. Very easy to operate and start for beginners. Advanced IGBT&Inverter make this MIG welder a portable and efficient welding tool.
- 【Dual Voltage ARC&MIG Welders】This is an ARC&MIG 2 in 1 Welding machine. 140Amp DC 110V/220V Dual Voltage MIG welder. Package includes MIG Torch,Electrode holder,Ground clamp, 110V/220V Adapter and etc.
- 【Multi-Application MIG Welder】This Wire Feed MIG Welder is suitable for welding iron, carbon, steel and etc. Great choice for household welding, or DIY project on steel.
- 【APPLICABLE FLUX CORE WIRE & RODS】The wire MIG welder apply for .030"(0.8mm) &. 035" (1.0mm) welding wire. ARC mode fits rods: E7018, E6013, E6011.
- 【What’s more】SIMDER is a professional welding machine manufacturer, we aim to provide a better welding tool and make welding easier. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us
- Synergic Control: The welding parameter is built-in with precise data. It will choose the voltage, amperage and feeding speed that is needed based on welder data, making it much easier for new welders.
- Multi-functions in one machine: Suitable for MMA, Lift TIG, flux MIG, gas MIG
- Powerful Machine: Up to 200A output current that can weld mild up to 5/32 inch (4.0mm) plate.
- Big enough to apply to 2 and 10 pounds rolls of wire. Ready to feed .030"(0.8mm) with solid core wire, and .035" (0.9mm)with flux core wire.Can Handle E7018 basic electrode.
- Dual voltage input design: Welding machine can be plugged into 110（120）V / 220(230)V dual voltage (Automatic fitting).
- Weld up to .030"(0.8mm) and .035" (0.9mm)with flux core wire.Can Handle E7018 basic electrode.
- Powered By Standard 110(120V) Household Current.
- Multi-functions in one machine:Suitable for MMA,Lift Tig,Flux Mig.Can weld stainless steel and carbon steel.
- Big enough to handle 2 pounds rolls of wire.
- Powerful Machine:Up to 135A output current that can weld mild steel up to 1/8 inch (3.0mm) plate.
- 5-position voltage control selector adds a smooth, stable arc at all welding thicknesses
- Welds 24 gauge up to 1/4 in mild steel; Weldable Materials: Steel, Stainless Steel and Aluminum
- Welding Processes: MIG(GMAW), Flux Cored(FCAW)
- Operates off 115V standard household current; Wire Feed Speed Range 40-700 IPM, 50-740 IPM at no load
- Welding Amperage Range: 25-140 A; 20% duty cycle @ 90 Amps, 19V
- IGBT inverter technology, Full 30-205Amp(max) with digital display, reliable quality and stable performance.
- Synergic Control,Automatic change of the voltage & wire feeding speed by adjusting the amperage or choosing different thicknesses
- The MIG-205DS is capable of true lift TIG(need buy extra tig lift torch,not included inside product) welding as well as stick welding ,The MIG-205DS is an intuitive synergically designed MIG/MAG/ Flux Core/ARC/Lift TIG welding machine
- Safety, Automatic Protection Function for Over-current, Over-voltage and Over-heating
- 🛡️★Multi-Functions In One Machine: IGBT Full 20-200Amp(Max)With Digital Display, Reliable Quality And Stable Performance.Suitable For MMA, Lift TIG, Flux MIG, Gas MIG,Big Enough To Handle 2 To 10 Pound Rolls Of Wire
- 🛡️★110V/220V Powerful Machine: Up To 200A Output Current That Can Weld Mild Up To 5/32 Inch (4.0mm) Plate.MAX 5KG Rolls Of Wire.030"(0.8mm) With Solid Core Wire, And .035" (0.9mm)With Flux Core Wire.Can Handle E7018 Basic Electrode
- 🛡️★Include:MIG Gun(2.8M), Ground Clamp And Holder (2M),220V To 110V Adapter , Drive Roller Wheel,Contact Tips,Gass Nozzles，Welder Operation Manual . Processes Recommended-MIG-Cast Iron,Copper,Brass,Titanium, Magnesium Alloys. Flux Cored- Aluminium, Cast Iron,Copper,Brass,Titanium
- 🛡️★Synergic Control,Automatic Change Of The Voltage & Wire Feeding Speed By Adjusting The Amperage Or Choosing Different Thicknesses.The MIG-200is Capable Of True lift TIG(Need Buy Extra Tig Lift Torch,Not Included Inside Product) Welding As Well As Stick Welding ,The MIG-200 Is An Intuitive Synergically Designed MIG/MAG/ Flux Core/ARC/Lift TIG Welding Machine Safety, Automatic Protection Function For Over-Current, Over-Voltage And Over-Heating
Last update on 2022-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.